PDA

View Full Version : Derren Brown Russian Roulette

Omnituens
05-10-03, 23:15
Anyone else watch this?

fucking excellent!

Post your comments here!

in Rens words: Makes Blaine look like a tard

he's got the skillz. he's good at what he does.

=Chojin=
05-10-03, 23:18
i was waiting for this lol

whyd he shot 2 away from his head?????
wasnt he ment to shoot only 1 away and 5 at his head?

*theses arent pistol chamber numbers btw*

Ch0

Nexxy
05-10-03, 23:20
guess he was scared..

the show was great, i thought of a lion =( im such a fool...

Omnituens
05-10-03, 23:20
he though 5 was loaded, but was wrong.

thats why he thought for a long time afterwards

or that was showmanship.

it looked genuine though

i thought monkey btw.

and when he said 'draw a face', i thought of a clock face.
just to be awkward.

Barar
05-10-03, 23:21
Yeah just watched it - was excellent

He shot away on 1 of them as he wasnt absoloutly sure - who can blame him !!

Great show and a great build up - his character analysis is awesome .. Wont invite him round for poker :)

Ren
05-10-03, 23:21
Some people wont understand what this great man just acheived.

Basically, he is an extremely good judge of character, a magican and a "mind-reader" the kind of one who could steal a tie from around your neck and you wouldnt realise.

This was the best stunt i have ever heard of.

Here, he picked a member of the public from 12,000 who applied.
Using psychological tests he got them down to 100, then to 5, then to 1.

This one person placed a live round in a gun.....and passed the gun to Derren who proceeded to play russian roulette with it.

There was no way he could tell which chamber it was in, other than from his experiences from the "mind reader" and it was a live round.

He fired the first 2 chambers with it facing his head.....*Click*
then, he smiled, and shot the gun at the bag of sand.... *Click* he looked gutted, it wasnt the chamber he thought it would be...........

so then he waited, looked nervous, fired the next at the sand bag.....*BANG* he knew which it was.

This guy is a hero.... his skills are unmatched, and hes Banned from LA because he never losses.

tw@
05-10-03, 23:22
Yeah that was pretty good the way he picked up things about people. Especially the word game i thought was pretty good.

I think he should have allowed jamie on "Kite" though... that was closer than the one he came up with james. Also the bit with the coloured chairs i thought was really good. Come to think, pretty much all of it except the dodgy chair shinanigan at the start was really well done.

I still like david blaine for UBER street magic

=Chojin=
05-10-03, 23:23
Originally posted by Omnituens

or that was showmanship.

i think your right there :D

Ch0

Omnituens
05-10-03, 23:25
no doubt that Blaine is at good street tricks, but thats all they are. Tricks.

Brown has true skills. he has it honed to perfection. A master. There is none better.

I don't think there is anyone in the world as good as him.

=Chojin=
05-10-03, 23:28
yeah i didnt think i would but i started to feel tense at the end lol
surprised me that dido_O
but if he did blow his head off i think i'd have smiled ....what a way to go live on channel four:lol: :angel:

Ch0

Archeus
05-10-03, 23:28
It is a trick. I didn't see it but I know how it would work.

Any stage magician that is basing thier life on judge of character, mind reading is a fricken idiot.

Getting the chamber wrong.. all part of the act.

As for david blaine his magic isn't that great. It has already been shown on (Ireland TV) how most of his tricks are done.

=Chojin=
05-10-03, 23:33
Originally posted by Archeus
It is a trick. I didn't see it but I know how it would work.

i was thinking the amount of nods the guy gave him for "understanding"

Originally posted by Archeus
Any stage magician

i didnt think he was a magician in the conventional sense of the word:confused:

Ch0

Ren
05-10-03, 23:37
[22:07] <Critter> btw is blain still alive?
[22:07] <renner> hes been shot
[22:07] <renner> he was in a sandbag
[22:07] <renner> hiding from golfers

u would of had to watch the programme to understand that joke.

Mantus
05-10-03, 23:39
Why are people so obsessed with being fooled?

Barar
05-10-03, 23:39
Enlighten us Archeus how the tricked worked when u didnt see the setup ..

Derrens aim is to get the bullet in the chamber that he wants it to go in through his suggestive methods and then view the guys body language then when faced away from him the sound of his voice counting

I saw him, another show, sat opposite a lady with 2 cards face down one the joker the other blank .. He turned away she would mix thenm up and he would pick the card it was - He did this consistantly for 10 or so times .. Amazing

Thundra
05-10-03, 23:59
great thing bout this guys is its not magic its all bout analysisng someone and knwoing how the mind works. its on a similar line to hypnosis and all he does is real not rigged and illusions like david blaine

Archeus
06-10-03, 00:00
Pen and teller did a similar trick.

The point isn't that the magician guesses where the bullet is. They know exactly where the bullet is at all times.

Looking like he may of made a mistake just makes it look all the more real.

I'll see if I can get a copy of the show and watch it.

He turned away she would mix thenm up and he would pick the card it was - He did this consistantly for 10 or so times .. Amazing

The obvious answer is the cards are marked or he has a method of how to see while looking away (Search on debunking Gellers methods to see how to do this). Even the cheap marked cards you can buy in a trick store are hard to spot as marked cards unless you know what you are looking for.

Knar
06-10-03, 00:14
[edited for violation of the forum rules]

Barar
06-10-03, 00:28
Its well worth watching and made some great tele - my g/friend was on the sofa and literally put her hands over her eyes at one point

Real ? Possibly

Entertaining ? Definatly

Rizzy
06-10-03, 00:33
I enjoyed it, but its all aobut suggestion. Firstly, when they were at the shooting range he made sure no one used the barrel 1 to practice loading the gun. Secondly, when we was asking the guy to load the gun he kept saying 'one' in some phrases which the other guy picks up on subconciously. I'm sure there are plenty of other ways he suggested that barrel but these where the ones I could pick up on. While he is no magician, he is certainly a master of suggesting things and reading people.

Glyc
06-10-03, 00:45
i seen Derran Brown does rock/paper/scissors on someone twenty times in a row and win everytime. How's that fixed?

i saw it in real life and i knew the person who he did it with. It wasn't fixed.

I <3 the DB

Omnituens
06-10-03, 00:58
the rock-paper-scissors thing was impressive

so was the Tube Train experiment and the Blair Witch illusion (i think they were in Mind Control 2 iirc)

Delloda
06-10-03, 08:40
darren brown is for real. he's not a magician with tricks and shit. He's a pyschological illusionist. He actually does explain to his victims why he knows what he is thinking while he is doing his acts on the street.

In the blair witch illusion he uses similar hypnotism and sublimianl suggestion techniques used by ****************** and some cults to control and cause the mind to play tricks on itself.

In the russian roulette thing, he takes psychometric testing to an extreme level. Thats why he took such a long process of tests to get the right person to load the gun for him. He can still be wrong but he's rarely is.

He has to get the right person who posesses the traits of the person that wil most likely give him sublimial hints from their personality as to what chamber the bullet is in.

Each test he did to choose the person, exposed a specific personality trait that he was looking for.

i guessed that it was either in chamber 1 or 6 and he did too. When he asked the guy to count from 1 to six slowly, is voice trembled a little when he said 1 and 6. it also trembled very slightly when he counted 5. so thats why he hesitated when he was about the shoot the 5th chamber in his head. He was definitely shitting it.

BTW this type of psychometric testing is widely used now to find the right type of person for jobs. Read up on it an learn the basics for an advantage. :) Every guy and their dog has a academical degree nowadays so employers leave it up to this sort of personality testing, group role playing and emotional quotient tests to find their employee's.

NeoLojik
06-10-03, 09:28
That show was probibly the most amazing tv I will ever see in my life. Derren Brown is a master at what he does, and I dont believe in any way that it was faked.

Simply Amazing :eek:

Dissenter
06-10-03, 11:31
The suspense was just insane, and how the hell he does it I can't even comprehend..

Omnituens
06-10-03, 11:44
hes an LE Exploiter

:eek:

Rizzy
06-10-03, 12:18
Its just suggesting things to people and being able to read signals that people send without even realising they are doing it, often through body language or tones in your voice. Anyone can learn to do it to some extent but to master it is very hard. Some of his techniques are used by david blaine also, but hes shite.

JiNxY
06-10-03, 12:30
it was pointless tbh.

i have no faith in anything i see like this.

if he had ANY chance of killing himself.. and i mean ANY
it would not have been shown on TV, at all, its just not allowed.

so that makes the whole "omg is he going to die" tense feeling pointless.

hes an entertainer, thats all. nothing special IMO

Rizzy
06-10-03, 12:48
Jinxy if you think its nothing special, you are quite simply ignorant to the facts. The techniques he uses to obtain rapport with people and communicate with the subconciously are quite impresssive, you can see this by visiting his site http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/M/mindcontrol/

just because there are lots of hoax 'magicians' out there, it doesn't mean that derren brown fixes his 'tricks', he just practices techniques and uses them.

Omnituens
06-10-03, 12:48
Originally posted by JiNxY
hes an entertainer, thats all. nothing special IMO

he has talent and skill, which he uses to entertain people.

to get the skills to his level, is something special.

tw@
06-10-03, 12:53
Did you watch the Top 50 magic tricks show afterwards? There were some really good ones on that. Also about 5 from Darren Brown himself. I especially liked the one when he made the guy forget which stop he was supposed to be getting off on... and ended up missing it. Also there were some other really mind-blowing tricks done... My favourites were the Paul Daniels (Legend!) with the sleight of hand with the ball/lemon/orange and the hypnosis trick with the chairs... i like him because he does it in a comical fashion.

Good night of TV yesterday on Channel 4.

JiNxY
06-10-03, 13:27
okok to some people fair enough its entertaining, just not my cup of tea i guess :) :)

all this psychological stuff just doesnt impress me tbh.

the stuff where people can take off another person tie/watch without them realising is pretty handy, wish i could do it, i'd be rich lol

and no im not ignorant thankyou rizzy. :rolleyes:

Akasha
06-10-03, 13:51
One word comes to my mind..... fantastic

boneybob
06-10-03, 13:53
I missed it?!?!

MayhemMike
06-10-03, 14:13
Him and David Blaine are teh devil

Cliffraiser
06-10-03, 14:58
imo the guy is a fucking nutter. I was shitting my pants when he fired at the sandbag and it went *click* he must've been shitting at that moment too :P. wouldve been bad if he had killed himself doing so.

Rizzy
06-10-03, 16:09
I believe the shot into the sandbag that wasnt a bullet was staged, he knew all along it was in chamber 1. If he genuinely thought it was in chamber 5 and then found out it wasnt, he would have stopped there and then.

=Chojin=
06-10-03, 18:01
it wasnt chamber 5 he fired i thourght he put chamber 3 1st so he would fire 4 then 5 and so on...he said he thourght chamber 3 was the safe one didnt he???:confused:

Ch0

*ph33r*
06-10-03, 18:07
LOL I watched it last night... bloody mad I tell thee, especially when he aimed at the sandbag, pulled the trigger and all he got was a *click* :eek:

He just sat there for like a minute, thought he had fucked up and was gonna shoot himself 8|

Fake or not, was a nice adrenaline rush kinda thingy you know... 8| :D

=Chojin=
06-10-03, 18:09
yeha best bit of tele for a LOOOOONNNNGGGGG time :D
Ch0

Dream
06-10-03, 18:11
you guys are all crazy if u like watching that :p

yeah, I just learned what Russian Roulette was :p hahahaha

Leebzie
06-10-03, 18:23
Derren wasnt the guy who did this trick with a bookie was he ?

He went to a horse racing thing , and put down a bet. He lost the bet (on purpose , he chose the lowest odds) and then went to the bookie and if this wasnt rigged , and I belive it wasnt, he handed her his losing bet strip and she handed him a reward.

He then handed the money and the losing bet strip and told her to look closely at it. she looked pretty baffled when she realised she'd just paid out for a losing bet.

He then had a go at teaching a member of the public how to do it , keeping eye contact and speakin in this way and a whole lotta other stuff to simply make the person belive what you were saying was true.

this *might* have been blaine but what a cool way to make cash lol :D

I missed the russian roulette thing :( :( :( anyone know when a repeat is on ? (Tho obviously it aint gonna be much fun knowin what happened now lol) What a brave bloke lol ,now thats confidence in your Madskilz !

=Chojin=
06-10-03, 18:24
no that was Derren =)

Ch0

Ultima
06-10-03, 18:34
its all tricks and illusions, if you believe otherwise then your the type of person that makes these guys famous.

But if you enjoy watching it then theres nothing wrong with it being a trick! Just don't be so sure its all real lol.