PDA

View Full Version : Healing

Neo LoneWolf
05-10-03, 08:11
It's 7am. I'm tired. I can't sleep. I am plagued with thoughts. I must write. And so:

On Healing

I've been thinking recently about a few of the things taken for granted in NC, about why they are taken for granted, and if an improvement can be suggested.

Here are my idlings on Healing:

First Aid and Medi Kits.
'Kits' (seems to apply a variety of different pieces in one pack) that require no time to apply, and don't slow the user down one bit in the middle of a firefight. Anyone else find that it feels, somehow, 'wrong'?

Simple idea: Re-name (and -graphic) First Aid and Medi Kits to #Healdrug (insert appropriate name as you wish). The drugs can be said to include powerful coagulants, adrenaline, and vairous other chemicals to increase the rate of the natural healing processes - restoring tissue, knitting broken bones, &c.

To further:
Keep First Aid and Medi Kits in the game, but with a new effect. Used as a tool, and using either the Implant subskill, or a new (INT or DEX) subskill (Healing), allows the user to add significantly to the heal-rate of the target. Can't be self-used.

Psi Healing.
Now, this is just taken for granted. The 'Heal' spell is in most fantasy games' mage's repertoire. Is that a good enough reason for there to be a PPU spell that does the same?
It's actually incredibly difficult to come up with a solid reason as to why there needs to be a healing spell in the game. I certainly can't come up with one.

Idea: Drop the PPU Heal spells. Of course, the effects of First Aid & Medi Kits (or their replacements - see above) would need to be increased to compensate.
But who would lose out? With an (somewhat) increased healing rate from drugs, and possibly the introduction of INT/DEX-based 2nd-party healing, it would really only be the PPU to be miffed.
A curious thought - a PPU without a Heal spell, brought down to the same rate as everyone else. Would that be a bad thing?

*shrug*

As I said - I'm tired, I'm in no state to fully consider the consequences.

Peace out.

nonamebrandeggs
05-10-03, 08:15
I must say I tottaly disagree, it would overpower APUs to the EXTREME.

Neo LoneWolf
05-10-03, 08:21
Then please, explain why.

Mankind
05-10-03, 08:21
Yup, disagree as well.

Neo LoneWolf
05-10-03, 08:25
Because . . . ?

QuantumDelta
05-10-03, 08:29
The ability to heal is classed as a form of defence in this game.

Regenerative defence is one of the few things which distinguishes the classes.

Giving unilatteral heal speeds is short sighted, because those classes with more powerful attack, will naturally, become several times more powerful on a scale of relativity.

Hense the comments above, most likely.

Neo LoneWolf
05-10-03, 08:41
Non-monks use the TL3 heal. PPUs use the TL85 Holy Heal. APUs don't use either (accurate enough, with a reasonable margin).

Increasing the effects of self-administered healing drugs, combined with the removal of the TL3 Heal, shouldn't make a huge impact on non-monks.

APUs will be able to heal up without resorting to burning a pile of Medi-kits.

Passing 2nd party healing over to anyone willing to spare the skill points reduces a tiny part of the reliance on PPUs.

Removal of Holy Heal would cut the survival-chances of a PPU significantly.

Making the PPU monk the sole provider of virtually all support siimply because they're PPUs seems somewhat . . . short sighted, perhaps?

*shrug*

Candaman
05-10-03, 12:18
If u take out the Holy Heal and make ppu's even more vunerable than they already are with holy antibuff floating in almost every apu's inventory then u will see that no one will want to play a ppu anymore. PPU's are only played lots because they are very hard to kill they can't attack to more than about 30 dmg so if u take out their primary ability what is the point of being one

Leebzie
05-10-03, 12:29
DEX / INT based subskills ???

PE's dont have enough to spare , its lucky we can use psi for healing because we'd gimp to use it anywhere else...

enigma_b17
05-10-03, 12:33
sorry but no i disagree. I can think of a reason for a heal spell,, so I can heal :|

Thundra
05-10-03, 12:36
simply put

take out heal on PPU = no one using ppu / taking away one of there reasons that makes them invinsible (and they should be as they cant hurt anyone)

and APU= becomes the new ultimate class with its new found healing skill it wont needa ppu anymore.

and u cant make a healing skill and then say u cant use it on ya self as no one would bother doin it.

Nice idea but it just wouldnt work at all im afraid.

onyl thing that needs to be done is change the effect of Parashock spells (mnaybe to summin like slower fire rate i dunno)
and make anti buffs cast at normal rate to sto the whole 'we got more PPU's there fore we win stuff'.

dr.fish
05-10-03, 12:58
i think it's time u go to bed! :D

Birkoff
05-10-03, 13:37
Originally posted by dr.fish
i think it's time u go to bed! :D

I agree, If heal was taken away from me and hybrids are still pathetic id see no reason in continuing to play NC, a lot of monks left due to hybird destruction and a lot more would quit IF PPUs were destroyed.

Sorry dude, no chance=.

JustIn_Case
06-10-03, 08:54
I would like so see medikits get a boost, but not so they are usefull in PvP, but for solohunting.

Make medkits heal a bit faster, but require you to stand still during heal process.

Richard Slade
06-10-03, 09:19
Just a thought
Why the HELL would an APU need faster healing rate?
The PvP basis APU vs [Whatever] is built on a time span of about 10-20sec
If we're talking good PvP..
Then leave to heal and such
And APU's do hefty dmg, we all know that
Infact he most dmg in the game
So why should they then get the possibility
To use something defensive as good healing stuff
When the PPU's ONLY REAL mission in life is to help other
And keep them alive
I say drop the damn medkits and make PPU a DAMN good tradeskill!

Shadow Dancer
06-10-03, 09:32
Originally posted by Neo LoneWolf

Increasing the effects of self-administered healing drugs, combined with the removal of the TL3 Heal, shouldn't make a huge impact on non-monks.

Hrm.

APUs will be able to heal up without resorting to burning a pile of Medi-kits.

I agree. But the healing rate shouldn't be too great. We must be careful not to make his healing too great. I do think the healing skill should be able to be self-use as well.

Passing 2nd party healing over to anyone willing to spare the skill points reduces a tiny part of the reliance on PPUs.

I agree. I always thought it was lame only PPUs had "real" healing. I mean come on now.

Removal of Holy Heal would cut the survival-chances of a PPU significantly.

I also think holy heal should be removed.

Making the PPU monk the sole provider of virtually all support siimply because they're PPUs seems somewhat . . . short sighted, perhaps?

I totally agree.

El Barto
06-10-03, 09:46
U must be tired, stfu and go to sleep :D

JustIn_Case
06-10-03, 10:45
Originally posted by Richard Slade
Just a thought
Why the HELL would an APU need faster healing rate?
The PvP basis APU vs [Whatever] is built on a time span of about 10-20sec

Well, read my post again...
I dont want the medikits to be usefull in PvP, but it would be nice if i could heal while im exploring or hunting, the medikits are a joke. My apu has 339 in HLT unbuffed, medikits takes forever to restore that HLT.

So i repeat...make medikits work faster, but you need to stand still for them to work (during heal process). Then they wont be usefull in PvP but you could hide/heal while hunting.

Richard Slade
06-10-03, 11:44
Originally posted by JustIn_Case
Well, read my post again...
I dont want the medikits to be usefull in PvP, but it would be nice if i could heal while im exploring or hunting, the medikits are a joke. My apu has 339 in HLT unbuffed, medikits takes forever to restore that HLT.

So i repeat...make medikits work faster, but you need to stand still for them to work (during heal process). Then they wont be usefull in PvP but you could hide/heal while hunting.

Oh soz, my fault..
Well add up that u need to kneel too
And can't have a weapon up
Then I'm all with you.

JustIn_Case
06-10-03, 11:51
Originally posted by Richard Slade
Oh soz, my fault..
Well add up that u need to kneel too
And can't have a weapon up
Then I'm all with you.

Thats OK!

Increase medikit heal speed and add the following:

1. If you move, heal will abort.
2. If you pull a weapon, heal will abort.

The kneel part doesnt do any difference if you arent allowed to
move.

Richard Slade
06-10-03, 11:56
Good points and I agre, almost
tho might add that the heal parts means you NEED to be there
be active playing instead of just thinking "bah let's go into neo
and heal those points while I go smoke

Err.... Wait.... That's BAD
Okay okay kneeling bad :p

But yeah, I'd say add this up
but do it on "special" medkits
And keep the normal one's

Some ppl prefer being able to run while healing too
Even if it's slow, sometimes they gotta go somewhere.
(Fleeing is one quite good reason...)