PDA

View Full Version : How is it possible to balance classes?

Celt
05-10-03, 02:48
I have a (rather) simple solution, that imo is quite elegant.

Whether or not it is viable, good, or even possible is another thing, but I'd like to here other people's suggested solutions to the ever constant imbalance in PVP.

My idea is as follows:

Every class has a maximum of 300 levels across the spectrum.

The only class that generally fully caps is PE, although I've been seeing more capped spies/monks/tanks lately.

How do I see a way to balance all classes?

REMOVE CLASSES ALTOGETHER

There are 5 areas,
Strength
Dex
Con
Int
Psi

When creating a charecter, you get 300 points to put into these areas, granting you full customisability.

For example:

Infiltrator-
Dex 110
Int 70
Con 60
Psi 40
Str 20

Thoughts, suggestions, flames?

Some other thoughts,
After lvl100 the cost goes up to 1.5 point per level, and goes up to 2 after 125.

YOU CANNOT USE RARES until you have selected a class.
Selected a class you say?

Remove current classes.
Add new ones, ie. melee tank, hc tank, constructor, hacker, stealther, ppu, apu etc.

Some of these come with a subskill, ie constructor can then select rifle, pistol, drone etc.

Each class has a minimum requirement in levels, and which area they are in.

Int/dex bases classes would have say 80/80 to select a class, once a class is selected, every attribute gets +10 to cap, with the two primaries getting +20.

The last bit is complicated, no? :o

Flea
05-10-03, 02:50
idea being somewhat good, it basically totally changes the game into something different, thumbs down for me

Syntax-Error
05-10-03, 02:59
i like the idea. but then what about skins?

alig
05-10-03, 03:04
Nah...the idea is good but would ppl experiment over a 5 slot using TPC tank with blessed deflec and possibly shelters?:angel:

I wouldnt :p

StryfeX
05-10-03, 03:13
I personally think it's a good idea, but I also think that it can't be reconciled with the current system for one simple reason: the back-story.

PSI Monks are PSI Monks, GenTanks are GenTanks, etc.

You'd have to seriously rework the back-story to do it and besides that, I don't think KK is willing to do it.

--Stryfe

Celt
05-10-03, 03:22
Originally posted by StryfeX
I personally think it's a good idea, but I also think that it can't be reconciled with the current system for one simple reason: the back-story.

PSI Monks are PSI Monks, GenTanks are GenTanks, etc.

You'd have to seriously rework the back-story to do it and besides that, I don't think KK is willing to do it.

--Stryfe
At this stage, I dont think KK is willing to do anything other then put in appeasements for the community, to keep them paying as long as possible.

After all, isnt that pretty much all that's happened since last christmas?

Shadow Dancer
05-10-03, 03:46
Great idea, but it would never happen.

Netphreak
05-10-03, 03:53
as nice as the idea is it wouldn't be viable for the reasons mentioned above. All the caps will hopefully be raised when DOY comes out. However i have noticed one thing the description of a Spy indicates that he could develop good psi abilities although with a psi cap at 20 i think not. Personnally i think a spy should have a psi cap at 40 (maybe 35) and a pe at 25. That would help a spies defenses abit and balance pe's abit too. (Shelter is more useful than Blessed Deflector is for a pe anyway)

Keiron
05-10-03, 03:59
It’s a little to Shadowbane'ish for me. I'm kind of partial to the Hash of Diablo II and Ultima Online we have currently.

KidWithStick
05-10-03, 04:28
this idea has been said before, maybe if thats the way neocron was originally intended to be, but right now it would just change things completly....

the only think that is unbalanced for PvP right now is PPU's.

and the only thing unbalancing about PPU's is parashock and rezzing teamates while under heavy fire.

Celt
05-10-03, 05:17
Originally posted by KidWithStick

the only think that is unbalanced for PvP right now is PPU's.

and the only thing unbalancing about PPU's is parashock and rezzing teamates while under heavy fire.
When ppu's are nerfed, you will certainly find another subset suddenly becoming "overpowered".
That said.

PPU's group casting holy shelter, holy deflector, and casting hazz/psi3 etc also makes them overpowered.

Remove parashock and ress and they will still be overpowered, if not quite so much as now.

S/D should be self castable only, reducing ppu's to ress, heal and DB in pvp, rather then buffing everyone and shocking everyone.