PDA

View Full Version : For fans of the X-Com series

DigestiveBiscui
04-10-03, 20:56
BUY UFO: AFTERMATH!

its top class, it doesnt have the classic 'make a base, build a base' idea, but its still brilliant

to get a new base you have to take it from the enemy, which is brilliant. The gameplay reminds me of Classic X-Com / Fallout tactics.

The mid-air fight scenes between UFO's and your fighters is movie based, and looks so great :)

im addicted to it, neocron is on hold until KK dop something special like add PE PA or something

anyway, i see an enemy base in cuba - time to pwn

WithSlitWrists
04-10-03, 20:58
Originally posted by DigestiveBiscui

im addicted to it, neocron is on hold until KK dop something special like add PE PA or something

[/B]

hehe oh man you think the pa is going to be that special? :cool:

lullysing
04-10-03, 21:22
oooohhh.... how i used to love having those teleguided 7-tragejectory-mini-MoAB launchers, amongs with my magnetics flying armor suits and the supah heavy plasmaguns.

Jest
04-10-03, 21:38
Originally posted by lullysing
oooohhh.... how i used to love having those teleguided 7-tragejectory-mini-MoAB launchers, amongs with my magnetics flying armor suits and the supah heavy plasmaguns. Hehe yah the tele guided rocket launcher is good stuff. That game rocks. I need to try and install that thing again. I still remember playing it at nights with all the lights off, walking through a cornfield and an alien would response fire at me walking and it would scare the hell out of me every time.

lullysing
04-10-03, 21:50
Originally posted by Jest
I need to try and install that thing again. I still remember playing it at nights with all the lights off, walking through a cornfield and an alien would response fire at me walking and it would scare the hell out of me every time.

I remember being quite the pyro maniac for those cornfield engagements...Let's just say that regular rocket launchers with phospho rockets , and phospho auto-naders were something i really liked... made me feel like i was commanding a squad of CIA exterminators...

"Man, it's dark down there"
*chucks a few phospho*
"Now it ain't. ooohh look! a victim! "
*dakka dakka dakka*

DigestiveBiscui
04-10-03, 22:12
u remember the tanks from the old game. All they did was blow up the whole city u were trying to save :p

and the floating UFO alien looks like a giant headache tablet :p

Lexxuk
05-10-03, 04:36
nah, blaster bombing people you didnt like, that rocked :D gotta get that game, must get it, cant play x-com runs to fast :(

sparrowtm
05-10-03, 05:35
Originally posted by Lexxuk
nah, blaster bombing people you didnt like, that rocked :D gotta get that game, must get it, cant play x-com runs to fast :(

Search Google for "moslow", worked for me;)

DigestiveBiscui
05-10-03, 14:23
Originally posted by sparrowtm
Search Google for "moslow", worked for me;)

isnt that the thing that really badly fucks up your CPU speed?

PsiCorps
05-10-03, 15:42
The guided rocketlauncher ammo reminded me of a rugby ball :O

sparrowtm
05-10-03, 22:35
isnt that the thing that really badly fucks up your CPU speed?

Yapp. Some say it damaged their hardware o_O
But there are many CPU-slowing tools out there. The only way to really enjoy some of the classics if you haven' t got an old PC left :(

DigestiveBiscui
05-10-03, 22:54
Originally posted by sparrowtm
Yapp. Some say it damaged their hardware o_O
But there are many CPU-slowing tools out there. The only way to really enjoy some of the classics if you haven' t got an old PC left :(

buy it on the playstation :p or put up with it

sparrowtm
05-10-03, 23:44
buy it on the playstation :p or put up with it

grr ... PC>Playstation :p

DigestiveBiscui
05-10-03, 23:50
yea, but when you have no choice its time to bring out the 32-bit wonder!

msdong
06-10-03, 10:01
yeh, ufo is cool i spend the weekend on it while ill have to "work" :)
but at this point the game starts to easy and suddenly it turns into nightmare.

i hate the freaking Grays with the alien rocket launcher. they own my team every time. finaly i managed those freakin bastards there are only 2 grays left in my base. one rocket guy and one with an unknown weapon. my team is out of medpacks ammo running low and tose bastards wont leave the room they hide in :)
I NEED SUPPORT !!!!!!

only thing is that it misses a multyplayer mode.

rob444
06-10-03, 10:42
I love the X-COM games. Is UFO: Aftermath made by Microprose? Because Microprose doesnt exist anymore?

Warlogis
06-10-03, 13:08
Nope, UFO: Aftermath was created by developers from Eastern Europe - Chech republic or near ;) Absolutely no connection to Microprose.

DigestiveBiscui
06-10-03, 13:29
made by fans of the x-com series, its not actually and x-com game, just very similar

msdong
06-10-03, 13:33
Originally posted by rob444
I love the X-COM games. Is UFO: Aftermath made by Microprose? Because Microprose doesnt exist anymore?

its not, dont ask me who made it bit you instantly get the look and feel of this games when you klick the play button.

there are some things that are not that good on the german version of the game. its bad translated and have problems with displaying the longer german german text.
pathfinding is a little bad and that its not possible to make fixed formations is a minus.

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 15:08
Originally posted by msdong
its not, dont ask me who made it bit you instantly get the look and feel of this games when you klick the play button.

there are some things that are not that good on the german version of the game. its bad translated and have problems with displaying the longer german german text.
pathfinding is a little bad and that its not possible to make fixed formations is a minus.

as far as i know they are making a patch for non-english versions

CarniFlex
08-10-03, 15:37
Im a fan of xcom and I dont like this game. sorry, theres to many things they could have done better, like splitting up your squad sending em out on 2 mission same time, making a turn the cameraview towards the enemy but not zoom over there, crouching/kneeling and hit the deck. cover is either 100% or nonexistent, wheres the easy/medium/hardcore level gauge, why cant I put a chinook and 2-5 men guarding a research installation. Isnt that crucial towards finding out the truth?
The feeling of creeping evil in the background is there and thats just bout what they did right with this game.

This game has potential, but they need a patch... or two *grins*

rated two downed ufo of five possible.

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 15:43
Originally posted by CarniFlex
crouching/kneeling and hit the deck.

there is a button to crouch and hide, you can hide behind cars etc and after a while the cars blow up due to too much fire

cover is either 100% or nonexistent

There are loads of different types of cover. sometimes there are only boxes etc, sometimes u just make your own cover by blowing a hole in the wall to hide in

wheres the easy/medium/hardcore level gauge?

In the options menu before you start the game

sounds to me like you played the game for 5mins, but it was too hard for you to understand

msdong
08-10-03, 16:14
there is cover - if you are behind an edge the soldier shoot around it. this looks real cool and you are real save from enemy fire. the crouch option is a little bad. they should made it toggel like walking/running because it sucks to klick that button everytime you walk a guy.

Stigmata
08-10-03, 16:30
x-com apocalypse that was one of these games ?

Used to play that on my p200 win 95 machine, is this game similar or still a strategy/godgame sort of thing and do you have the choice between realtime and turnbased o_O combat with the aliens

Andy

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 16:39
yes apocolypse was the start of the death of x-com

several people say aftermath has killed x-com, WRONG

x-com killed x-com with relase of the final 3 games (apocolyse, interceptor and enforcer), Aftermath has just started a new lifeline :)

lestats
08-10-03, 16:49
i bought it, the fights are way better than they used to be, if only i could have more control of the fights with ufos id be more happy :)

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 16:52
ah but the movies for them are so damn good

]v[ortice
08-10-03, 17:42
just bought it.... going home to play it :)

msdong
08-10-03, 17:50
ah but the movies for them are so damn good

omg, they remind me of AMIGA :)
but it makes a good look and feel.

Archeus
08-10-03, 18:12

x-com killed x-com with relase of the final 3 games (apocolyse, interceptor and enforcer), Aftermath has just started a new lifeline :)

Apoc's only real failing was the bugs. Once you didn't have them (and I thankfully didn't due to patches being there when I bought it) it played just like the first two UFO games.

Interceptor onwards is what did it for me though turning me off the game.

I liked terror from the deep despite it being pretty much a clone.

Apoc was great too, especially the way the city was laid out and invading the other dimension.

lestats
08-10-03, 18:57
i thought apoc and interceptor were good, aftermath is really good so far, does anyone know if you get a better fighter jet later on, other than just upgrades for them.
my current fave weapon is the plasma shotgun :) and any weapon with explosives :angel:

wolfwood
08-10-03, 18:59
HOW ABOUT WE DONT ADVERTISE OTHER GAMES ON NEOCRON FORUM

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 19:40
Flaming will not be tolerated.

--Garm

cpl101
08-10-03, 19:48
Its a really good game but after the 2nd dreamland file mission it gets stupidly hard, to the point i've given up on it... oh well i'll just cheat.

And for people just startng shoot down EVERY planter possible
they are a bitch later with crappy biomass

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 19:52
Originally posted by cpl101
Its a really good game but after the 2nd dreamland file mission it gets stupidly hard, to the point i've given up on it... oh well i'll just cheat.

And for people just startng shoot down EVERY planter possible
they are a bitch later with crappy biomass

yes, its hard.But if it was easy people would moan even more. Remember how stupidly impossible the original x-com games were :p

msdong
08-10-03, 21:02
hmm, makes me remember that i put more medpacks on players and drop them on the first round :D

hmm dont think this is advert thread so go away and open an DoY thread :o

DigestiveBiscui
08-10-03, 23:33
my men are always overloaded with medipacks :p

rob444
09-10-03, 01:04
Have the game what the old XCOM series didnt have? MULTIPLAYER!!!! ?? :eek:

Now that would be awesome to play coop against evil aliens trying to take over our precious world.

DigestiveBiscui
09-10-03, 08:34
no multiplayer....YET

as far as i know they will make it multiplayers via patch or expansion or something

Warlogis
09-10-03, 10:00
So far UFO: Aftermath didnt reached Ukraine, so I'm enjoy playing Operation "Silent Storm" - game really rocks and I think Aftermath will be not so addictive to mer as S^2 ... ;)

Siygess
09-10-03, 10:49
Perhaps not.. as a squad-based strategy fan, I'll probably give S2 a try.. but my copy of Aftermath arrived last night. I onyl managed to play it for about 20 minutes, but I think the game is exactly my cup of tea (just like the original UFO).

The only thing I dont like is that it pauses every time a member of the team needs a new order, but I think I just need to change a few settings in the options to stop that from happening.

Archeus
09-10-03, 10:52
There was a later version of the original UFO released that had multiplayer. One side played the aliens.

I think it had play by mail too.

Siygess
09-10-03, 11:10
That was the play-by-email version of UFO by Hasbro. Not a bad little game, and you could play it hot-seat. I dont think its supported any more though, so if you wanted real multiplayer you'd have to make do with Laser Squad Nemesis or the much under-rated Abomination: Nemesis Project.

DigestiveBiscui
09-10-03, 11:43
Originally posted by Siygess

The only thing I dont like is that it pauses every time a member of the team needs a new order

if you ask the to wait after the order (i think you hit W) they will stop and not ask for another order

Siygess
09-10-03, 11:59
Thanks for that - that was my only minor niggle with the game. This does mean, of course, that my work on my next two Neocron skins will go on hold until I've either completed Aftermath :D

DigestiveBiscui
09-10-03, 12:02
Originally posted by Siygess
Thanks for that - that was my only minor niggle with the game. This does mean, of course, that my work on my next two Neocron skins will go on hold until I've either completed Aftermath :D

thats gonna take a while - its get bloody hard

i've finally done my first Alien base raid, 6 of my 7 people are now in sickbay

Stigmata
09-10-03, 13:02
how much does it cost, where can i buy or is their er.... some er..... place i might er..... aquire it if you know what i mean

Andy

lestats
09-10-03, 13:53
you can stop it pausing on the options screen, its under tactical, says something like no orders and theirs 3 boxes which are all ticked, one if pause, one is text message and the other is a voice message, if u untick the clock one it wont pause when they finish their orders, makes things much easier.

Elric
09-10-03, 15:35
Just got thios game. Looking forward to getting home and playing it now :)

Andy, check yer PM's

DigestiveBiscui
09-10-03, 15:38
Originally posted by stigmata
how much does it cost, where can i buy or is their er.... some er..... place i might er..... aquire it if you know what i mean

Andy

Ģ30

most UK gaming shops stock it, actually all of them do...or u could try amazon

msdong
11-10-03, 12:57
http://neocron.msdong.de/ncforum/gat-pa.jpg

hmm new skin for PE-PA ? :)

i love that game .....

DigestiveBiscui
11-10-03, 21:26
i would love that as the skin LOL

McEvoy
11-10-03, 22:34
man I loved X-com, man I loved Fallout. man I loved all turn based strat tactics games. gaaahhhh (froth)

DigestiveBiscui
13-10-03, 00:15
Originally posted by McEvoy
man I loved X-com, man I loved Fallout. man I loved all turn based strat tactics games. gaaahhhh (froth)

then you must buy it and do a sex wee

Archeus
13-10-03, 01:26
brilliant game but....

WHO IN GODS NAME PUTS THE DELETE SAVE GAME BESIDE THE LOAD GAME BUTTON AND DOES NOT HAVE A "ARE YOU SURE" DIALOG!!!!! :cry:

Oh well, got to start again from scratch. o_O

culture
13-10-03, 02:56
lmao :P

eLcHi
13-10-03, 11:00
awesome game

My team was owning on every mission they got to beeing equiped with Sun Armor and Laser Guns all around ...

Then i got to the second hidden-base Mission ... i approached the entrance, ganked the usual alien, moved my team in ...

and there were two Aliens with blue shields and rocketlaunchers ...

That was the point where i thought: "Oh, this finally looks like a challenge"

Needless to say my whole team was in sickbay after that mission ...

At first i thought itīs getting insanely hard ... but after you study the aliens a little bit you learn that you just need a different tactic ...

I dropped the Laser Guns and went all out with heavy explosive weaponry and conventional weapons ... like Gatlin Guns :D

Mows em down in seconds ...

@msdong: on the pic, is that the heavy armor ? Or something else ... because when i put it on the char says like 60% loaded ... and on field it jumps to 140 and they get slow as hell ... is that only me or is there a trick ? :)

notneo
13-10-03, 13:21
huhu i got aftermath on and i can say this,combat is fine but the base building is gone,recruitment is gone,fighter combat is gone,no tanks so its not x-com

jernau
13-10-03, 14:47
Remember how stupidly impossible the original x-com games were :p

IMO the first two had a perfect learning curve. I never thought either were too hard or too easy.

They were two of the best PC games I've ever played in fact in almost every regard (save for the crappy res-tree bug in TFTD).

The next three were pants. They had neither the gamplay nor the atmosphere of the first two.

Aftermath is OK. It has the atmosphere back again but the game feels only about 20% done. I can't understand how it has soooo much less to it than a ten year old game it's trying to be an almost exact clone of.

It also seems so far (may improve later) to have much a simpler combat engine (AI, route-finding, map complexity, etc.) if you ignore the graphics, which are very nice.

The menu system, options, controls etc. are a bit too non-intuitive but they are bearable (I can see how carniflex missed the things he did). Also there are a lot of things it does that just seem 'wrong' or 'odd' but I put that down to me not having a manual for... um... reasons... If anyone knows are good FAQs/player manuals - please let me know.

Playing it makes me want to replay the first two again (and Syndicate) so it is certainly a faithful remake. A shame they didn't finish it.

/edit - Just been reminded by McEvoy's post - a lot of the graphics are very, very, very Fallout. Not a bad thing but worth noting.;)

DigestiveBiscui
13-10-03, 18:27
Originally posted by notneo
so its not x-com

it was never ment to be x-com

its just an x-com like game

msdong
13-10-03, 18:54
Originally posted by eLcHi
...@msdong: on the pic, is that the heavy armor ? Or something else ... because when i put it on the char says like 60% loaded ... and on field it jumps to 140 and they get slow as hell ... is that only me or is there a trick ? :)

its heavy armor with a gat gun that do 1300 damage *yea*
i know its real slow but you can put a lot of things on that boy and he dont getting any slower :)

Lareolan
13-10-03, 20:03

Hey! I liked Interceptor! I own Interceptor. :P

jernau
13-10-03, 23:55
Having played for a few more hours I have to say it's a more flawed game than I thought. There are several major issues that should have been found in play-testing and most of which had forebears in the original x-com games.

I'm still really enjoying it but I do keep wanting to use functions that were in the old ones and aren't here.

DigestiveBiscui
14-10-03, 15:43
Originally posted by jernau
I do keep wanting to use functions that were in the old ones and aren't here.

....but its not X-Com

lestats
14-10-03, 16:23
omg this game has got so hard, aliens which kill u in one shot and dont even get scratched with your best weapons, still its sooo cool to have the heavy weapons, the gatling gun is great :)

DigestiveBiscui
14-10-03, 16:53
im waiting for when they make i multi-player :D

jernau
14-10-03, 17:02
....but its not X-Com

It looks like X-COM
It sounds like X-COM
It plays like X-COM
It has a "UFO:..." name like XCOM

It's either licensed by whoever owns the X-COM brand or someone is sure as hell gonna be sued by whoever owns X-COM.

If they didn't want people to compare it to the X-COM games maybe they should have made a different game. One that isn't so.... um .... X-COM.

:rolleyes:

DigestiveBiscui
14-10-03, 17:09
few things

1. It doesnt have X-Com anywhere in the same, so micropose can do jackshit about sueing anyone...tehy didnt copyright 'UFO...' they called the original X-com that at a later date

2. X-Com enemy unkown was changed to UFO: Defense LATER - original name was X-Com, i dont see x-com anywhere in 'UFO:Aftermath' - do you?

3. Once a type of game has been made NO ONE is allowed to make something like it?. Thats like saying no one can make another war strategy game, because command and conquer was made, and that would be copying it, therefore its shit compared to it

4. UFO Aftermath engine doesnt look 6 years old :p...so it doesnt really look like x-com, more like fallout tactics

msdong
14-10-03, 17:16
Originally posted by lestats
omg this game has got so hard, aliens which kill u in one shot and dont even get scratched with your best weapons,...

well finaly one of the game where the best weapon is not the best on ALL Grays :)

wish neocron whould have different resists on monsters :)

licence to X-Com is on Atari and if it was a crime to be make a lokalike game then Neocron would be in deep trouble along with several apache and F16 flight sims for example...

Elric
14-10-03, 17:51
Personally Im loving this game.

Just hit the Russia secret base area, boy am I gettin stuffed in the ass :rolleyes:

Memories of the Xcom's coming back to haunt me cos this bit seems helluva familiar... go along nicely and win every mission, then hit that critical point and get hammered at every turn... I love it :)

Wasnt the first Xcom game actually called UFO: Enemy Unknown. Im pretty damn positive it was, maybe it was just named differently depending on which release it was (I'm in the UK btw). The second was definately called Xcom: Terror from the Deep tho.

DigestiveBiscui
14-10-03, 18:41
it was X-Com UFO defense, then X-Com Enemy Unkown then UFO:enemy unkown then X-Com UFO defense again :p

jernau
14-10-03, 19:51
few things

1. It doesnt have X-Com anywhere in the same, so micropose can do jackshit about sueing anyone...tehy didnt copyright 'UFO...' they called the original X-com that at a later date

2. X-Com enemy unkown was changed to UFO: Defense LATER - original name was X-Com, i dont see x-com anywhere in 'UFO:Aftermath' - do you?

3. Once a type of game has been made NO ONE is allowed to make something like it?. Thats like saying no one can make another war strategy game, because command and conquer was made, and that would be copying it, therefore its shit compared to it

4. UFO Aftermath engine doesnt look 6 years old :p...so it doesnt really look like x-com, more like fallout tactics

My use of "X-COM" as a proper-noun was only to maintain consistency with your previous post.

I'm hoping you are just arguing for argument's sake or I'd worry for your sanity.

DigestiveBiscui
14-10-03, 23:26
my sanity.......or lack of....or something