PDA

View Full Version : Game unplayable due to crashes (ATI issue?)

Hagbart
04-10-03, 18:14
I recently replaced my old FX 5200 card with a Radeon 9600 PRO card. Since then, Neocron has been crashing every 10-15 seconds after I log on. If I stand completely still I can probably manage to stay on a little longer.

Anyone got any idea what might be wrong? Every other game seems to run perfectly fine. I was aware of people having certain minor issues with ATI cards and Neocron, but I don't think I ever heard of anyone having problems of this magnitude before.

Lathuc
04-10-03, 18:21
you try reinstalling?

MjukisDjur
04-10-03, 18:26
probably arrowkey crash. Turn numlock off or disable ati tray thing...

Marzola
04-10-03, 18:34
I have a Radeon 8500 and the game doesn't crash too often (like once or twice an hour). I would sugest reinstalling or checking if your drivers are up to date. Or it could be a problem with the newer cards...

Hagbart
04-10-03, 18:34
I couldn't cancel that damn ATI thing directly from the tray, but I terminated everything with ATI in it's name in the task manager and it seems to be working sort of ok now. :) Thanks for your help. :)

Zu (Pluto)
04-10-03, 21:35
Assuming you are using the Catalyst drivers.... You can turn off the ATI hotkey / system tray icon thingy. I've never used the thingy myself since I moved away from my original Radeon.

Right-click Desktop, Properties, Settings, Advanced....
In the Options tab you can turn off the taskbar icon application.

That should do the trick. If you need more info on your nice new Radeon, visit www.rage3d.com. They've got some knowledgeable people on their forums and you can get various tweak utilities.

I use a Radeon 8500Le myself and don't generally crash due to graphics, except if I foolishly try to Alt-Tab. 9600 is nice. I'm tempted to get one but power-mad as I am I want to save up and get a 9800 Pro instead.

Good luck,
Zu

Hagbart
05-10-03, 00:49
Hmm, getting rid of the tray application took care of the near insta-crash problems I had, but now the game tends to have some more serious crashes once every 20 minutes or so. Not just a FRE or crash to desktop kind of thing, but completely freezing my system, forcing me to reboot. Sort of annoying. :) Anyone experienced this kind of thing?

Nidhogg
05-10-03, 01:00
Originally posted by Hagbart
Hmm, getting rid of the tray application took care of the near insta-crash problems I had, but now the game tends to have some more serious crashes once every 20 minutes or so. Not just a FRE or crash to desktop kind of thing, but completely freezing my system, forcing me to reboot. Sort of annoying. :) Anyone experienced this kind of thing? I used to get that on my laptop (ATI Rage 128). Eventually I realised it only happened if I suspended the machine by closing the lid. I stopped suspending and I've never had a freeze since. I only ever get FRE's when quitting now too. :)

N

MjukisDjur
05-10-03, 10:02
Originally posted by Hagbart
Hmm, getting rid of the tray application took care of the near insta-crash problems I had, but now the game tends to have some more serious crashes once every 20 minutes or so. Not just a FRE or crash to desktop kind of thing, but completely freezing my system, forcing me to reboot. Sort of annoying. :) Anyone experienced this kind of thing?

I experienced this as well until I moved the fans in the computer for better venting. Think the radeon might overheat since mb/cpu temp was ok. Works fine for me now though. Some FRE when running + klicking doors/gogo and drop stuff on eachother in inventory. Sounds odd but that is almost the only time I get FRE these days :)

Regards
Mjukis