PDA

View Full Version : Planetside

superfresh
03-10-03, 08:14
I saw a few threads on this but never read them.

Planetside offers a 7 day trial period. Upon the urging of a friend I gave it a shot and thought 7 minutes would have been enough. Apparently its primarily a FPS (no real character development or role playing). The engine and connectivity seem stable enough, but the graphics reminded me of a technological Southpark, and the gameplay is pretty much restricted to point, shoot, etc..

Worst of all, however, is the community. I jumped in and immediately was insulted by other players when I asked how to "dm" someone. Apparently there is another name for this there. I floated around aimlessly and was spoken to and ragged on by one senseless player after another. I think this speaks for NC on 2 levels - the depth of the game requires some level of intelligence because of its complexity, even though it is a video game. And whether or not this is related, the NC community, albeit a hard crowd to please at times, is both tightly knit and relatively mannerly - when I started in April, I received nothing but gracious help from players from every faction, and was quickly addressed by Mods and GM's where need be. Players would give me directions, guidance, cash, and even items, and the support crew seemed genuinely determined to address my technical problems when I had them. Even now, some of my enemies on the battlefield are people I can chat with in the Plaza.

Most of all, and this is personal, the lack of interpersonal and technical quality made me even less apt to throw my money at a mega-corporation that distributes games like Planetside. People play NC in spite of its flaws, which I imagine means it must have a ton of entertainment value. Even the sounds seemed cheesy and overproduced in PS, while the sounds of NC have that unique...cyber-something going on. The creative ideas behind NC vastly outweigh those of more "slick" products, and I'm more apt to endorse a smaller company with great ideas than a huge one with absolutely no imagination. It's like the difference between a Hollywood movie and an independent film.

Anyway, I hope that KK and the NC community thrive for a good while, or I'll get the shakes and start frothing at the mouth.

Psychoninja
03-10-03, 08:29
Planetside is just a shoot 'em up. You can't expect the same level of intelligence from a FPS and a RPG. One game is more complex than the other, and since the FPS is much easier because it's a point, click, and kill game, people who don't have the tolerance and patience for a game that takes thinking, time, and dedication flock to the game thats alot easier. I'm not bashing FPS's, because I play alot of them, and love them myself. I'm not saying everyone who plays a FPS is a complete moron but FPS's are simpler games, and the majority of simple minded people who don't like playing complex rpg games go in that direction.

In plain terms, Planetside = alot of CS kiddies :p

*Hide's CS Icon on Desktop"

:angel:

I was drawn to neocron because I actually liked the community, the action/tension that would go around and the people you could meet. I wasn't really drawn to the storyline, mainly community and gameplay is what kept me here.

Spy<VS>Spy
03-10-03, 15:05
planet side is about giving you an intence battle simulation on a faction scale, infiltrating territory into a base, capturing the instalation while supporting your team while gaining access to a pool of resources to facilitate your fight on that territory....

thats planet side in a nutshell, its that exsperince, which can 'sometimes' happen that appeals to some i guess. basicly in its intirely though...its tribes 2.5, balance out a team, make use of crazy vehicles and 'capture the flag' or base in this case. oh yeah, and sony is going to charge you to play, capture the flag...i mean base.

....thats all there is to do, its not like in neocron where you can go...okay, today, i'm not going to get an OP or kill people today. i'm going to produce turrets, or refine supply's for my team. i have to repair some stuff, then i might build some junk...whoa...i gained a level, sweet, i didnt even have to kill anything.

planetsides only noncombat advancment skill comes from having windows appear on your screen...yeah! a terminal i havnt been to before, 200 exp! a new weapon, bugger all if i use it right, i'm holding it! that means i should be more skilled, look! a rock! hold that too, 150 exp! kick ass...and then there is ant driving...which is also, driving around in a slow ass truck, and keep a base supplied with energy. which as i remember, didnt give jack for exsperince when i left the game, like 20 exp every 5 percent or whatever.

and thats it...the game doesnt really care if you dragged in a mobile spawn point to help out the team, that your repairing and healing people. if you want to level up, hack a base! hack a base right now damn it!

and thats what loses planet side lusters...what exactly am i doing in this supposidly fluid game if hacking a base, is the only way to advance...its not like i can find new routes to other parts of the world...or build bridges, run communication lines for tactical use and all that down and dirty drench coat navy seal stuff.

in this respect its almost like team fortress classic...only, you at first get owned with people who hacked bases all day because they have a big ass rifle and a rocket launcher with heaveir armor. they mine as well call you cannon fodder...

at any rate...PS, for me, is a fun 2 hour a day romp for a 2 weeks, then its cancel subscribtion and back to neocron or whatever game that has content.

iainy13
03-10-03, 16:09
Ya. I had 2 intal planetside on my 12 gig hd. Took me 4ever but i did an played it a while back. At first i loved it tons. I always loved tribes and was a big cs fan. The part that made it so cool was flying for me. Using the reaver and coming in with 4 other airplains.... We sould all go in an kill tons of ppl. Anyways it got boreing rly fast. Why? Not enough to do in that game! And i was horrable at flying. And on the ground it was to easy. NC is better :)

Spy<VS>Spy
03-10-03, 16:26
at the time i played they didnt have joystick support, flying a combat craft was extreamly tricky, i tried the bombers loosly before cancling and found, i really dont like the flight mechinics.

the flying was fun for a bit, for awile i tried driving. the lightning and heavy tanks where cool...

but it just came down to rock paper scissors combat, if someone has a rocket lauancher or anti vehicle, you are screwed, your reacer cant fire chafe, and for some reason, rockets can lock on to the little buggy's and chase and kill...its stupid, the harasser is a clear example of what i would have NOT targetable by anti vehicle...its to small, basicly no armor.

that an that every missle seems to be both, Surface to surface and surface to air compatable. isnt the future grand? give me a break, even today tanks have counter measures against being raped by anti vehicle weapons, from old fashion smoke dispensors to electronic counter measures.

that and being run over..gets me to quit the fastest. like, if the had a lunch option or somethen that allowed to throw your hulking body in some direction intead of tring to baby step to the side...that would be nice...its like i'm playing half life jeep-a-thon in allot of battles...

or a really...reallly...high resolution version of 'frogger'

ezza
03-10-03, 16:38
thank fully i got in on beta testing for it, got bored of the whole game after about a week, everytime i go and play another game, i come back more apreciative of neocron

Zanathos
03-10-03, 17:30
Out of the 4 7 day trials i had of Planetside (yes there was a trick to it)

There were only 3 good battles, the rest of the game was friggin boring.

I had a Pilot, a Vehicle User, MAX armor user, and just an infantry.

Flying mosquitos is almost boring. You enter a combat area and you can consider yourself dead, why? Cause 2 anti-air rockets and your dead and almost every infantry has them. Its not even half as manuverable as a reaver and has half the armor. Their gun is a joke. Their speed should out-run rockets, but only with afterburners on do they.

Reavers are slow, and once again shot down easily from anti air rockets. Reavers have enough armor to take constant fire from mosquito's while remaining still and just rotating like a turret while shooting at the mosquito. Theres missiles are only good for killing infantry and light vehicles.

Liberators and Galaxies are the only good air units if you have a full crew, not so much the galaxy though.

Lightning, fast, but dies faster, Heavy Tanks, prime target for heavy weapons infantry.

Ants, incredibly slow. None of the other vehicles are really useful.

Mag Rider, the most anoying vehicle unit in the world. Who owns it? The Vanu, Lasher, incredibly gay, who owns it? Vanu.

Vanu are incredibly strong, New Conglamorative get the shaft ALWAYS, Terran Republic have the most anoying rocket launcher.

The only truly unique faction is the Vanu. They are the only ones that appear slightly unique from the 3 factions. One thing though, their air units you would expect to be alien like, since there technology comes from the Vanu (alien race) but no.

The game is incredibly repetitive, the landscape is ununique, vehicle combat is almost impossible because of the terrain, every type of base is identical to the last. There is no evidence that the Vanu ever existed on the planet.

You hack a base, sit for 15 minutes, hack the next base IN THE CHAIN!

You cant attack some random base and take it, NO, it has to be the next base linked to one of the bases your faction has.

The new hacking system is dumb, now not only do you hack a base, but take some cube to a designated place that the server tells you to put it. It makes taking a base just more anoying.

Campers at the spawn tubes make the game more anoying. Losing power at a base means your stuck with what you spawned with unless you have stuff in your locker or a Mobile AMS nearby.

All in all, a pathetic attempt at a game that could be MUCH MORE, and I mean MUCH MORE.

My advise is, dont fork over the cash for the game, but if you wanna try it to see what you think of it, go right ahead.

Clothing_Option
03-10-03, 17:51
Originally posted by superfresh
I saw a few threads on this but never read them.

Planetside offers a 7 day trial period. Upon the urging of a friend I gave it a shot and thought 7 minutes would have been enough. Apparently its primarily a FPS (no real character development or role playing). The engine and connectivity seem stable enough, but the graphics reminded me of a technological Southpark, and the gameplay is pretty much restricted to point, shoot, etc..

Worst of all, however, is the community. I jumped in and immediately was insulted by other players when I asked how to "dm" someone. Apparently there is another name for this there. I floated around aimlessly and was spoken to and ragged on by one senseless player after another. I think this speaks for NC on 2 levels - the depth of the game requires some level of intelligence because of its complexity, even though it is a video game. And whether or not this is related, the NC community, albeit a hard crowd to please at times, is both tightly knit and relatively mannerly - when I started in April, I received nothing but gracious help from players from every faction, and was quickly addressed by Mods and GM's where need be. Players would give me directions, guidance, cash, and even items, and the support crew seemed genuinely determined to address my technical problems when I had them. Even now, some of my enemies on the battlefield are people I can chat with in the Plaza.

Most of all, and this is personal, the lack of interpersonal and technical quality made me even less apt to throw my money at a mega-corporation that distributes games like Planetside. People play NC in spite of its flaws, which I imagine means it must have a ton of entertainment value. Even the sounds seemed cheesy and overproduced in PS, while the sounds of NC have that unique...cyber-something going on. The creative ideas behind NC vastly outweigh those of more "slick" products, and I'm more apt to endorse a smaller company with great ideas than a huge one with absolutely no imagination. It's like the difference between a Hollywood movie and an independent film.

Anyway, I hope that KK and the NC community thrive for a good while, or I'll get the shakes and start frothing at the mouth.

I also was gonna try PS and asked my clan to join me and 10 pple in my clan who had played PS said PS sucked and I didnt bother. ALso I agree whith your comments on NC and have had similar experiences

BlackPrince
03-10-03, 18:49
Zan, if you're getting killed in a mosquito then its because you're doing something wrong. The skeeter is one of the most survivable vehicles when in the hands of a competent pilot.

I love PS, especially for sniping. When I want depth, bugs, and RP I play Neo. When I'm in a blood frenzy and just wanna make things go *BOOM*, I play PS.

Comparing PS to NC is like comparing NC to Lemmings. It's apples and oranges and if you play one expecting something similar to the other, you're just going to be disappointed. In PS the deciding factor in combat is individual skill. There is no uber setup, no buffs, no second chances. Its all upon how well YOU play your character, how fast YOUR reflexes are, and how smart you play it.

Sure, you can get caught up in the Zerg and mindlessly rush base after base. It's great, especially if you suffer from the RPG mindset of "Gotta Powerlevel". Otherwise, PS is what you make it. I've seen several battles of 300+ players, no lag, with full combined arms assaults last for HOURS. I've been on continents where there is a front line and you can drop behind it and cause real damage.

Is it perfect? No, but no game is. Does it run, crash rarely, and not fuck you at every turn? Yes. I wish I could say that about some other games I play.

Oath
03-10-03, 18:58
At the risk of offending avid planetside fans,

its balls :lol: ,

Fx are jerky, lag is IMPOSSIBLE, gameplay is dull (theres only so many Cs clones i can take, regardless of the new twist), need i go on?

Oh.............and the amount of patching needed to DL (i r 56k and no, it doesnt really afffect my neocron playing) but suppose nc is also the same:rolleyes:.

Just my opinion,

your welcome to disagree,

oh, the community is quite good though.

Oathinator.

And NC > All, NC will be THE BEST when its fixed :rolleyes: :lol: kidding.

ichinin
03-10-03, 19:06
Planetside has a big disadvantage; it doesnt have pepper park or any pr0n at all :o)

Nullifidian
03-10-03, 19:13
You can't compare the two games.

Like someone else said, when I want to blow shit up, I play Planetside. When I want RP, I play a Bioware game. Oh wait, was I supposed to say NC? There's a reason I didn't: Neocron isn't a fucking RPG. Neocron is has a mediocre FPS system with a bunch of numbers for you to watch increase. The only roleplaying elements that exist in Neocron are the Live Runs. Nothing else in Neocron could even remotely be considered RP.

TraumaTeam
03-10-03, 19:44
I am actually here thanks to Planetside. I was in the original PS beta and my biggest comment was that it would get boring fast since you can max level in about two weeks and there is no way to "win". There is also no real MMO feel to it since who owns what dramatically changes from day to day. Basically, you get to keep your equipment from session to session.

Yes, I know it's not a true RPG and it wasn't meant to be that. My complaint was that it's not much of a MMO or FPS either. (The previous posters are right - lag is massive and horrible. If you try to get into a massive battle, you'd be lucky to drive, fly, or hit anything with a bullet...)

The comments about the abusive community are also true. "Veterans" (which when I was playing were maxed out level 20s who had been playing for three weeks) seem to be really unforgiving. My clan went out of our way to adopt newbies and get them into the game, but there is just no feeling of community. Compare that to Neocron where in three days of gaming, I've had people walk up to me to give me advice, equipment, and cash as well as been invited out of the blue to join a clan. Great, great, great people (which is why you're supposed to play these types of games in the first place...)

Also - Sony's promise of constant new content (which was their answer to "won't people get bored if you can't win anything?") has equaled two vehicles in six months. Not very impressive.

On the plus side, Planetside is absolutely freakin' gorgeous and the flying vehicles are really cool. (I was a Galaxy troop transport pilot for most of my time in the game. I would pick up groups and hot drop them into battles. That was cool, but got boring fast...)

After Planetside, I was jonesing for a good sci-fi MMO. I was going to try out AO, but a friend steered me here. I've been playing for a week now and I'm loving it! :) In fact, he's playing this again too based on my raves (he hasn't played since beta).

Long story short: Keep up the great work - this is how it's supposed to be!

Zanathos
03-10-03, 19:58
I never said I sucked in a mosquito.

Just dont fly it over a combat zone and your fine.

Its almost impossible to use its scanning feature unless your friendly troops are invading the base = no fags with anti air rocket launchers.

Mosquito is good for fighting lone air units. But its guns are almost pathetic to everything but mosquitos and infantry (not max infantry).

It just has such light armor. I ended up just binding Mouse wheel down to eject just so as soon as im going down, i can eject a split second later. Not that a suppressor will do anything much..........

Cloacking is kinda sucky too in that game. Usually I can see the stealth field, even if their crouch walking.

Sniping sucks in that game as well. You gotta aim at a spot and hope the enemy goes into the sights.

And like I said, I have had only 3 good fights over the course of my 4 trial accounts.

The best fight was 4 hours long. It was to take control of the station at that one continent that has a base on a little island of its own surrounded by water and 3 bridges lead to it. Cyssor I think. (this also includes takin the Towers)
It was against the Terran Republic so us New Conglamorative soldiers stood a chance. I was an anti-air MAX unit. Shot down what must of been at least 30 air units. gained 3 combat levels.

We took it but an hour later, the Vanu were attacking it. I went to bed, woke up, and the whole continent that me and my NC guys were fighting for was taken by the Vanu. I spent that whole day retaking half the continent.

Just the game is too repetitive, too boring, too dull. I guess some people get a kick out of it though.

I am also in no way compairing Planetside with Neocron. They are COMPLETLY different games.

edit

Oh, thought id mention it. I was a galaxy pilot in a clan. I got an amazing screenshot of a FULL galaxy - Thats right, 4 infantry, 2 max units and gunners of the galaxy and believe it or not, a deliverer with 4 guys in it, all hot dropped over a base, I jumped out too, looked around and took an awsome screenshot of us all dropping to the base. Was a priceless moment, took the Terran Republic guys at the base completly off guard.

Ah well, game got boring way too fast.

Alex Mars
03-10-03, 20:16
The biggest difference is that in PS you don't have the pathetic newbie-killing losers that infest NC. There are a lot of NC players that couldn't hack the kind of stand up fight you get into in PS, they can only fight weaker opponents.

BlackPrince
04-10-03, 05:36
Originally posted by Zanathos
I never said I sucked in a mosquito.

Just dont fly it over a combat zone and your fine.

Ah well, game got boring way too fast.

Flown a Mosquito since beta, I can count the number of times I've been killed by AA on one hand. Same can be said for most of the other guys I know who fly them. It is the king of Air to Air combat, and pretty damn good at Air to Ground if you fly it right.

Don't fault the game for your own inabilities. The skeeter has always been able to outrun anything else in game, including missiles. As far as lag, on my old Athlon 1300+ w/ GeForce 3 Ti200 and 512mb of RAM I hardly ever experienced lag. Hell, I'd still be playing PS right now if I hadnt spilled stein of beer all over my tower.

Not gonna go off topic any more. But to reiterate what has been said in a hundred different threads: NC and PS are two completely different games.

TraumaTeam
04-10-03, 05:53
The biggest difference is that in PS you don't have the pathetic newbie-killing losers that infest NC. There are a lot of NC players that couldn't hack the kind of stand up fight you get into in PS, they can only fight weaker opponents.

Well, PKing is the whole core of Planetside. As previously discussed, newbies were quickly discouraged by the rough treatment they got. If you did something that exposed you as inexperienced, you were routinely chastised and made to feel inferior.

Plus (and I know I probably going to get flamed for this), preying on weaker opponents actually works in the story line. Would a mugger take on a 6'4" biker? No - they're going for the 5'6" weakling. Keep in mind that I just started playing earlier this week. The fact that the city is dangerous is what really intrigues me about this game. The seedy areas feel that way because I'm partially in fear for my life. The wasteland is this mythical and perilous place where those who are unprepared meet their fate. Sure, it's not PermaDeath(tm) but it's still a great background for playing.

BlackPrince
04-10-03, 06:14
Tell me a game where noobs dont get poked fun at.

Lets see, happens all the time in NC, all the time in DAoC, happens in every game.

Guess what, noobs doing stupid shit is funny. It reminds us of all the dumb shit we did when we were noobs. If having a little on your behalf is too much for your tender feelings to take, you probably shouldn't be in contact with other human beings.

greploco
04-10-03, 09:00
has some serious play flow issues, the whole base chain thing is cool but the waiting for a hack to go through for endless minutes just so you can get XP is booring as hell

player dynamic is not so good either

fun to play every once in a while, but not enough to keep up a subscription

if they had "pay as you play" setup I'd keep the account indefinitely, all mmporgs will have to go that way someday anyway

superfresh
04-10-03, 12:54
Originally posted by BlackPrince
Tell me a game where noobs dont get poked fun at.

Lets see, happens all the time in NC, all the time in DAoC, happens in every game.

Guess what, noobs doing stupid shit is funny. It reminds us of all the dumb shit we did when we were noobs. If having a little on your behalf is too much for your tender feelings to take, you probably shouldn't be in contact with other human beings.

Maybe, but in NC getting fun poked at you is inevitably followed by help from other players. And actually, I can't recall any time in NC when myself or another brand new character was ever made fun of when ASKING for help; making fun of a fresh player seems pointless to most veterans I think. And most new players are too mature to care anyway. We've all been new to NC, and there are things even veterans aren't sure of. In PS all I got was "F*** off", etc...I was also in there for the first time for less than two minutes when one of my allies ran me over with some vehicle thing. If I had my way Neocron would attack Planetside.

Oath
04-10-03, 14:09
Most players dont know how to rp.

My clan, arent totally Rp, but when we sign new members we do, and we make em proves their worthy, ew never had a problem before lastnight and it was funny, now the guy that joined us last ngiht is a good man (so far :D ) but when it came to rp he was like wtf are you doing??

Unfortunately thats like most of the community.

But nm, i love it regardless.

NC > drom sexxin.

OZMO!

superfresh
04-10-03, 14:35
...PS and NC are different games, yes, but they are both online communities. They also strive to be similar things, inadvertently. They are games designed with the necessity and assumption that other players will be present. They have an inherent dependence on the community.

Tender feelings. I don't think there was any indication in my post that my feelings were hurt. I'm too old for that. I just wanted help, and in return I received immature rants. I was so used to NC that I didn't expect other players to spend time that could have been filled with information with pointless jests that took twice the time a productive response would have taken.

Finally, regarding human contact, lets keep in mind that online video games are not the standard for personal interaction. Not yet, anyway, and thankfully. I don't consider myself fully in contact with other people when I'm gaming. I'm anonymously hidden behind a pc. So are you.

"Noobs doing stupid shit" can definitely be funny. But I've never seen one in NC who hasn't received guidance. I got none in PS.

Sorry for the wordy responses. Trying to shake the English major stuff...

KRIMINAL99
04-10-03, 23:48
theres people just like that here too lol.