PDA

View Full Version : Multi View Neocronononononoz

Lexxuk
03-10-03, 03:45
I decided, i r gunna go milti screen neocron, gunna have my main char open on meh desktop monitor, and my 2nd account up n runnin on my ickle ole screen over there.

Usualy I run both clients on same desktop, alt tabbin between (and talking to myself, which scares people, esp Zu, dont think she can handle two of me *g*), but the FPS goes to pot, well, more pot than usual, and, I'm too cheap to buy a new puter just to PPU for myself, so, any bright idea's on how to set it up?

Main monitors a real puter one, 2nd is a telly, will be connected thru the s-video wossname into the scart socket using fubbilydubbilygubbilygubbins.

Shujin
03-10-03, 03:46
yea ima do that if i get a 2nd acc ;P jus put 2nd char on meh tv and play my main char on puter

cnst and res same time ;]

Lexxuk
03-10-03, 03:57
it rocks for transferin crap between chars, and coz ones a PPU (107 PSI) i can stick him in a corner, whilst my PE gets the shit kicked outta him, then, alt+tab/rez/shelter/resisit3/rifle3/alt+tab :D

Shujin
03-10-03, 03:58
Originally posted by Lexxuk
it rocks for transferin crap between chars, and coz ones a PPU (107 PSI) i can stick him in a corner, whilst my PE gets the shit kicked outta him, then, alt+tab/rez/shelter/resisit3/rifle3/alt+tab :D haha yea ive been lvlin w/ a guy that has a apu and has a ppu on a seperate char and he switchs between them ;P

greploco
03-10-03, 05:09
you can run 2 clients on the same pc ?

ZoneVortex
03-10-03, 05:12
Originally posted by greploco
you can run 2 clients on the same pc ?

yup.....but you gotta do some funny thing in the neocron.ini for networking or something....i think.... :wtf:

maybe not....

.Cyl0n
03-10-03, 05:18
you gotta add the line LOCALPORT= "xxxx" to your neocron.ini

replace "xxxx" with"1002" for example... then start your first client..logg in and alt tab out
then change "1002" to "1008" for example... then you can logg in with a 2nd client and alt tab between em... trading works too :)

.cy

PsycheBlade
03-10-03, 05:26
Assuming you have a video card with a TV-out..

connect the s-video to yur TV (and your video card)
Turn TV on
rightclick desktop - 'properties'

Settings tab - at the bottom click 'Advanced'

there's a tab that controls output settings, mines called 'NView' - not sure if its same for you cuz you might have a different video card brand. Choose horizontal span or vertical span.

with Neocron set to windowed, drag one to where the extra desktop space is now. Unless your tv is high definition compatable or some nonsense similar then you'll have to dick around with how the image is presented on the TV (cuz it only has a resolution of 320x240)

Though this won't help with FPS... you'll need a faster processor and/or another video card (which is outputting the 2nd window to something else) to increase that.

Shujin
03-10-03, 05:32
Originally posted by PsycheBlade
Assuming you have a video card with a TV-out..

connect the s-video to yur TV (and your video card)
Turn TV on
rightclick desktop - 'properties'

Settings tab - at the bottom click 'Advanced'

there's a tab that controls output settings, mines called 'NView' - not sure if its same for you cuz you might have a different video card brand. Choose horizontal span or vertical span.

with Neocron set to windowed, drag one to where the extra desktop space is now. Unless your tv is high definition compatable or some nonsense similar then you'll have to dick around with how the image is presented on the TV (cuz it only has a resolution of 320x240)

Though this won't help with FPS... you'll need a faster processor and/or another video card (which is outputting the 2nd window to something else) to increase that.

yea im buyin a new tv tomarrow jus for the s-video in ;D(and bcuz mine atm is a pos 60's tv...)

;] anyways, a nice 27" flatscreen widescreen for only 250$

and nview is only for nvidia, Ati have a thing too

& flatscreen wont need to adjust picture much if any at all

enablerbr
03-10-03, 05:37
if your getting a widescreen tv get a 32" and above. anything less will look small.

Shujin
03-10-03, 05:48
Originally posted by enablerbr
if your getting a widescreen tv get a 32" and above. anything less will look small. *smack no ;[ i want teh 27" cuz its kewl

Mankind
03-10-03, 05:51
well i tried all that localport stuff mentioned above and it still didn't work. Came up with the "Join Proxy Session Failed". I have Neocron windowed on first account on my 32" television (rawr! :)) and on my pc I had a second neocron open, but it gives that error.

Cass
03-10-03, 06:26
I ran 2 simultaneous accts in DAoC....

Tried various setups.....

The best i found was....

2 CPU's
2 Monitors
1 keyboard
1 trackball/mouse
1 switcher box.

The newer switcher boxes are a pushbutton, not a dial. They also respond to user-definable keyboard strokes (IE press ALT 2 times). Makes it really easy.

:D

ElfinLord
03-10-03, 06:58
Here is a link to a thread that discusses the whole 2 accounts on 1 'puter thing.

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76491&highlight=two+accounts

It's a week old or so, but it discusses how this is all supposed to work.

ElfinLord

Erinyes
03-10-03, 07:29
Be aware that not all rca/s-video outs on videocards are not created equal.

My first IBM compatible pc's videocard was an ATI all in wonder pro rage, which gave such good video that I used a s-video capable tv for a monitor for 6 mo.'s or so, after that I had a voodoo 3, the svideo sucked , edges got chopped off and I couldn't make it display truly full screen, looked crappy.

Next vc was a V5 5500, no s-video out. Next was a gf3, video out sucked. Next was a gf4 4600, S-video out sucked again. Started to suspect my tv/cabling sucked. The 4600 gave up the ghost, got a Radeon 9700, (not all in wonder this time)pro, and the view is beautiful on my tv again :) I even tried a few scan converters, ATI cant be beat here.

Its not critical, and I still like NVidia's better game compatibility, but dont expect much out of a non-ati s-video port.

LVirus
03-10-03, 08:16
Yup, gotta love alt-tabbin because my fps's are still very same than before 2 neocrons runnin. Running 3 neocron's will make it bit shudder.

PPU healin and buffin my tank while I level. Not too bad, eh? ;)
Oh and IF I ever get 3rd account, then having a res cst brt wh0res just to pwnz Neocron in market wise. Heh no that would seriously kick ass :eek: . Now where the hell Im going to obtain two more accounts :D

Leebzie
03-10-03, 10:54
I cant get the second client to login because i r not botherin changin the local port. Im also running a Ti4800 Series , so there should be little different in how I did it.

I right clicked desktop , went into properties , and selected the second monitor and checked the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" and then right clicked desktop again ,selected Nview properties , Hotkeys , and set ALT+1 to show a window on my main monitor , and ALT+2 to show it on the second.

Also in the windows tab of Nview Properties , I think the spanning of windows across multiple monitors has to be disabled , or you get windows interfering with each other.

-Ive had trouble with this before where it just wouldnt move to the second window. and then decided to rearrange the items on my desktop :wtf:

Oath
03-10-03, 11:03
Makes me wish i had two accounts, oh well.

Lucjan
03-10-03, 11:27
With two accounts life would be much simpler ;P

Still, there is nothing better then two PCs for running two accounts.

Spy<VS>Spy
03-10-03, 17:00
i actually tried this as well...only with move more sinister reasons then to poke myrself or mule between charactors.

i settled back one day and said to myself, i really enjoy driving a rhino tank, but with these days in age, everyone is a monk and there is not a tank on to gun my rhino. that just spoils my afternoon!

then i got to thinking...hey i got two computers...well, 4 actually but two upstairs. so i dug out the joystick and hooked myself up...bringing my tank and spy together, i commenced making magic, with a mouse in one hand and flight stick in the other my tank rumbled out of jerico sector and into the waste lands. i only had to have my gunner view on the main screen.

well the idea was sound, but there was signifiant lag time between my pilot and the gunner view. because i share a single IP...i also have log in troubles...so it doesnt work so good.

so if i ever get two ips...watch out, my one man tanks will be out to get ya. :)

Sokaris
03-10-03, 17:35
couldn't tell you the easiest way since i just use two computers when i have something big to build i cst on my friends account on my other comp and i res on my account with my main comp.

Lexxuk
03-10-03, 19:01
I did something like that spy, I got my monk to drive the tank, stuck my PE in there, then used my monk to drive my PE all over the place, stopped on the way to pick up a hitch hiker though, zoin times were havily inflated, but it saved me havin to run my PE thru all the zones, and was fun :D then I PPU'd for my PE as we destroyed warbots together with teh hitchhiker.

ghandisfury
03-10-03, 19:38
Originally posted by .Cyl0n
you gotta add the line LOCALPORT= "xxxx" to your neocron.ini

replace "xxxx" with"1002" for example... then start your first client..logg in and alt tab out
then change "1002" to "1008" for example... then you can logg in with a 2nd client and alt tab between em... trading works too :)

.cy

Doesn't work since the last patch :-(

ElfinLord
03-10-03, 19:45
I did it all last night and just about 20 minutes ago.

It worked fine.;)

ElfinLord

Shujin
03-10-03, 21:03
well i decided not to buy the 27" i got a 32" ;P

(changed about 27" and got 32" when i seen how much money i had in bank)

Maarten
03-10-03, 22:13
Would love to try this but I have one small problem.
Alt-Tab screws my Neocron. I can go to my desktop, but when I go back to Neocron my screen is black. I can still walk around and chat, I just don't see anything. When I exit Neocron (or End Task it) and relaunch Neocron, I can see again.

Anyone else has had this problem and know how to fix it?

Shujin
03-10-03, 22:25
ooo i jus rememberd i got new vid card, time to c if i can alt tab now,

btw same thing happend to me when i alt tabb'd w/ my 8500le

Candaman
04-10-03, 02:16
Cylon i tried the change in the port numbers but when i try to log on with the second account but i get the error message saying Join proxy server failed is there something i need to do to fix that??

Zu (Pluto)
04-10-03, 15:42
Lexx,

What graphics card are you using? Sure, windows got its own way of handling multiple displays but I believe both ATI and NVidia got their own little toys for managing two screens. They might do the trick. Probably also worth checking fan forums out (go to www.rage3d.com if it's an ATI - not sure about it's NVidia counterpart but I know it exists).

Bear in mind though you might get a bigger performance hit than running 2 clients on 1 screen, as the graphics card memory / processing dudards will be doing twice as much work. So if it was a bit crappy before, it might end up even worst.

Zu

ps. why am I encouraging two of you on at the same time?

=SSC=Gandalf
04-10-03, 19:46
@maarten - window mode is for you.

Birkoff
04-10-03, 19:56
Originally posted by ghandisfury
Doesn't work since the last patch :-(

You sure? You still need it for playing with more than one client on a LAN, surely off the same PC it shouldn't be any different?

Lexxuk
04-10-03, 20:36
Originally posted by Zu (Pluto)
ps. why am I encouraging two of you on at the same time?

twice the fun for you honey :p

I r usin Geforce 4 MX400, but, umm, i've put the idea on the shelf, i cant remember where I left that thingy wire wossname, so I decided to build my own Linux installation.... just gotta figure out how to boot into the bugger to install the stuff O_o