PDA

View Full Version : *sigh i feel so dirty

Shujin
03-10-03, 02:40
i have just betrayed my ATI ;[ i bought a new GF fx 5200 Ultra ;[
'

anyone got any comments on this card i should know?
i went from Ati 8500Le (64mb ddr) to this GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 128mb ddr 650Mhz ( splinter cell came w/ it ^.^)

Whitestuff
03-10-03, 02:56
I got the card and I got mixed results.

My benchmark gives me crazy results (3D Mark). First Demo works great looks great.... Then 2-6 FPS on the rest. I score around 1000 on it.

But in game it is just as good as my old G4orce 2 TI500. I mean I play CS 1.6 on Steam and I can't run it on Direct 3D, but Neo works fine with it on Direct. My Quake 3 test (that alienware did when I bought this box) I got 153 FPS when they sent it to me. Now I get around 214 or so (but now I have 2x as much RAM PC2100 DDR 1.25 GB) The card is still pretty good IMO.

In Neo I get 20-40 FPS in city, 20 steady in OZ just like with my last card. Unreal 2 cleaned up a lot tho.

I didn't answer your question very well though. I just like my new card, and the old one went in my backup computer and made it faster, so I can't complain. :)

I really did not test it extensively tho. I never used ATI so I can't compare there. Heard they were hard as piss to configure on some games.

Mattimeo
03-10-03, 02:58
Make sure you cleaned the previous drivers fully, and/or do a clean install to get the best performance out of a new video card.(thats basic stuff that anyone can forget, so don't be offended by it)

other than that my only comment is, enjoy HL2 and doom3 on it :p

Shujin
03-10-03, 03:38
Originally posted by Mattimeo
Make sure you cleaned the previous drivers fully, and/or do a clean install to get the best performance out of a new video card.(thats basic stuff that anyone can forget, so don't be offended by it)

other than that my only comment is, enjoy HL2 and doom3 on it :p dont worry , i made that mistake w/ my 8500le ;P

went from gf2 mx-> 8500le -> gf fx 5200 ultra ;]

now jus gotta go and buy this nice flatscreen 27" wide screen tv and hook it up ;]

btw what should i do with the
antialiasing and anisotropic settings?

the antialiasing is set off atm, and anisotropic is to, antialiasing goes "application controlled, off, 2x, quincunx, 4x, and 4x5"

anisotropic goes " off, 2x, 4x, 8x"

oh and should i enable texture sharpening?

Mattimeo
03-10-03, 03:57
quincunx is supposed to be good, close to 4x, but not as big a performance hit, with that card I'd set AF to 2x or 4x, and turn texture sharpening on.

With those settings, the best thing to do, is run your games with different setups untill you find a set that looks good and runs good, and that's somethign that only the person using it can determine.

Shujin
03-10-03, 03:59
what bout 4x5? doh i read it wrong ;] its 4xS, whats 4xS