PDA

View Full Version : HL2 code stolen ?

t0tt3
02-10-03, 23:25
HL 2 code stolen? (http://games.slashdot.org/games/03/10/02/1547218.shtml?tid=126&tid=127&tid=156&tid=172&tid=186)

LOL kk soon cops gonna bust ya "hope my thoughts are true" then we gonna get a awsome NC2 :D j/k

DonnyJepp
02-10-03, 23:40
It's all part of the publicity blitz.

You didn't think they'd really have it ready in October did you?

Delayed releases, source code leaks, sounds like marketing 101 to me.

DarkPhoenix
03-10-03, 00:15
Yup its been leaked. Just on a "website" that had it for download. (and no, i will not give that site to you.)

nonamebrandeggs
03-10-03, 00:15
Onos someone beat me to it.

Mankind
03-10-03, 00:28
Originally posted by DarkPhoenix
Yup its been leaked. Just on a "website" that had it for download. (and no, i will not give that site to you.)

Come on :)

You know you want to!

Who's it gonna hurt!?

DarkPhoenix
03-10-03, 00:30
Sorry.

I've already contacted Valve about this site, which is actually a warez ring with many, many things to download. (Dont ban me for saying warez 8| ) Hopefully, the whole site will be shut down.

@Nid (below) -- Dont worry. ;)

Nidhogg
03-10-03, 00:33
Under no circumstances should anyone post a link to the alleged stolen source on this site. Anyone caught doing so will be banned. Fair warning.

N

TheDuckMan
03-10-03, 01:36
Thats prettybad... nid doesnt want us talkin about that anymore i guess (well post the topics with the links)... so i wont go there. But I have a question about how they found the remoteanywhere program (i dont want it... i just want to have an idea of how they figured out it was the problem). I help out at my school and help them with pc's in our technology center and we got some wierd stuff going on with the desktop.. sort of like how the article said when he clicked on exe's it crashed. I was wondering how you would locate that on the harddrive(a way that wont get me sent to prison plz :rolleyes: ). Could someone PM me about that... Sry it's alittle offtopic but i dont feel its necessary to start another topic and bump all the toher good ones :cool:

Duckman out...

Archeus
03-10-03, 01:39
Originally posted by Nidhogg
Under no circumstances should anyone post a link to the alleged stolen source on this site. Anyone caught doing so will be banned. Fair warning.

N

You would probably get in trouble downloading it and using it in your stuff, especially if your in the games industry. So I doubt KK will be looking at it.

AFAIR the HL1 engine costs a fair whack of money to buy, which is kind of what this is.

IronMonkey
03-10-03, 02:07
yes its real, no its not a publicity stunt and yes its really really bad for the gamers. not so much for valve, but for thsoe of us whom were hoping to play hl2 online and not ahve to deal with hackers.

This more or less effects the cutomers mainly.

It's rather disgusting

i hope they find the origon of the leak, and sue him to the point where his great great great grandkids are paying the fines.

god people suck

DarkPhoenix
03-10-03, 02:18
Little Question:

Do you think it was an inside job or hackers?

I myself think it was an inside job. Apparently its been out for like a month, and if hackers had done it, it would have probably been out and public long before now.

ZoneVortex
03-10-03, 02:27
oh no......hl2 source stolen.....

they were gonna release it anyways so it could be as modded of a game as HL 1 was :rolleyes:

enablerbr
03-10-03, 02:30
Originally posted by IronMonkey
yes its real, no its not a publicity stunt and yes its really really bad for the gamers. not so much for valve, but for thsoe of us whom were hoping to play hl2 online and not ahve to deal with hackers.

take it you've not played with steam yet. as there are already cheats playing on it. so this unoffical code release makes no difference really.

Logan Tyrus
03-10-03, 02:40
officially it wasnt an inside job

someone got a keystroke logger on the valve machines and got all the passes etc...

unofficially... a devious way to delay the game more ;)

(additional: i dont think Valve are evil - im just a conspiracy nut)

IronMonkey
03-10-03, 02:40
yes it makes quite a big diffence.As you may already have foudn out the steam cs cheats are due to email authorization issues, and not access to any type of source code.

Zone, btw please don't make silly comments like that. We are not talkign about the sdk, we are talking about the actual source.

The SDK and source code are two different things zone.

have a nice day

enablerbr
03-10-03, 02:43
what i'm supprised with is that. even though the final game has been delayed for what ever reasons. they still could have released the offical SDK to the moders. that way we'd have a head start before release (eventually).

IronMonkey
03-10-03, 02:48
The issue with that is, the game is being translated into 12 different languages which will also effect mods, as its automatic translation.

You wouldnt want to send out the SDK to mod authors and it not work in conjunction with the final release.

Tjhere is alot of rumors floating around the web, its always good to ignore most of them. Especially the ones that say the game is finished. Sure the physical code might be finished, but there are more things to a game than just the code, and artwork.

enablerbr
03-10-03, 02:54
well valve did seem to be at odds with the publisher on release dates. valve kept saying, till only few days left till the 30 sept deadline, that everything was going to schedual. then turned around and said hoildays. so thats maybe november or december.
all i know is i want to get a start on looking at the code. though it looks i'll need to learn a new 3D app. so i'm using same sort of package as valve.

IronMonkey
03-10-03, 02:55
best bet is to get familiar with XSI than. As all materials and IK will work in conj. with it.

Erinyes
03-10-03, 03:55
Although I won't give praise to whoever is responsible, and would fully suport prosecution of the source and those that propogate its availability.

I first read about this on slashdot today, and this will likely result in a mixed bag, based on speculation of course.

1)A lot more eyes will likely view the source in a beneficial way, pointing out weak points. Many people have a genuine love for the now series of halflife games and will welcome the chance to help strengthen it. Conversely, the hackers will be able to hack the game easier, but this just moves up the timetable. It would have been hacked anyway, in my opinion, and holes will also be able to be closed that much faster. A better possible benefit is that modder's might have a better insight with an old version of the source. High quality mods are what really made Halflife the success it was.

2)This is not complete source code, so you just can't compile it and have HL2 for free now. Admittedly, this may make it easier to warez the game, and delay the game's release. This is a bad thing, but it just moves up the time table. Serial cracks are already published, and without the benefit of viewing the source, for many games already.

3)This code is about a month old, and its crunch time. A whole mess of changes would have likely been made before it goes gold anyway. From what I've read, .exe's have already been compiled from those with access to this source, but I'd be really surprised if these .exe's continue to work that well when all available files/info hits the internet after release. Though its cold comfort, be glad that this didn't happen the day of its release.

4)Valve and other dev's now know that it would be very profitable to have seperate computers and intranets for programing and for email/internet access. My gut feeling is still that this was an inside job , however.

5)Maybe steam will be able to be bypassed enough that I can play a single player or lan game without having to have an internet access point. Despite the fact that I have serious doubt that hl2 will be a mindbendingly new and cool game, I was still looking forward to it. If I'm playing an online game, I can accept some of the inherent handicaps that go with it. Lan gaming is supposed to be the best of both worlds though, live thinking opponents with no worries about internet flakiness. Singleplayer is the same but a step farther; no one to claim hack/lag/ whatever the excuse is for losing, contrived or not.

This might be a little bit selfish, but I'm tired of paying the price for those that don't buy when I do. I won't buy Hl2 until I can play it without being connected. The precepts of steam making multiplayer are fine, but when my connection goes down, I should still be able to play single payer.

This source code being leaked is a bad thing, and shouldn't have happened, but Valve is not completely blameless. I also view this as a situation where Nietzche applies: "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

enablerbr
03-10-03, 04:03
lol i just went to the STEAM offical valve forums. i can't beleive that some of the posters for 1 thread havn't been banned. maybe are mods should get mod jobs on that board. cause i'm sure the old ban stick would have been flying about from the off.

ZoneVortex
03-10-03, 05:09
Edited for violation of the forum rules.

--Garm

SilentGravity
03-10-03, 06:30
A large factor in this is that Half-Life2 uses Havok (www.havok.com/) for a physics engine and this was included within the source, so now the people over at Havok can now sue Valve.

So lets do the math here people

Havok > Valve > Hackers

Oh boy, I bet lawyers and now drooling ;)

Lenard
03-10-03, 06:47
I'm friends with Gabe Newell's little brother Ben. I asked him if his brother is mad and he was like yeah hes pretty pissed.

There was alot of other stuff we talked about that seemed pretty hardcore, I doubt this is a publicity stunt or a ploy to delay the release of half life 2

ZoneVortex
03-10-03, 06:48
Originally posted by Lenard
I'm friends with Gabe Newell's little brother Ben. I asked him if his brother is mad and he was like yeah hes pretty pissed.

There was alot of other stuff we talked about that seemed pretty hardcore, I doubt this is a publicity stunt or a ploy to delay the release of half life 2

Gabe who? Ben who? What?

FBI
03-10-03, 07:11
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
Gabe who? Ben who? What?

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:qKvTCOsrzXsJ:www.gamedaily.com/features_new/valve/++Gabe+Newell%27s+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Say it with me...Google.

FBI

Lenard
03-10-03, 07:15
http://www.valvesoftware.com/people.htm

Gabe Newell is the founder of Valve. Father of Halflife. Ben Newell is his little brother

StryfeX
03-10-03, 09:06
From http://www.valvesoftware.com/people.htm
His most significant contribution to Half-Life was his statement "C'mon, people, you can't show the player a really big bomb and not let them blow it up." :lol: Classic. :p

I think that having the source leaked like that sucks ass. I mean, it may turn out OK down the road, but that just ripped up the road for the near future.

--Stryfe

t0tt3
03-10-03, 10:07
Thread

Gabe Newell
Managing Director
Valve Software

Ever have one of those weeks? This has just not been the best couple of days for me or for Valve.

Yes, the source code that has been posted is the HL-2 source code.

Here is what we know:

1) Starting around 9/11 of this year, someone other than me was accessing my email account. This has been determined by looking at traffic on our email server versus my travel schedule.

2) Shortly afterwards my machine started acting weird (right-clicking on executables would crash explorer). I was unable to find a virus or trojan on my machine, I reformatted my hard drive, and reinstalled.

3) For the next week, there appears to have been suspicious activity on my webmail account.

4) Around 9/19 someone made a copy of the HL-2 source tree.

5) At some point, keystroke recorders got installed on several machines at Valve. Our speculation is that these were done via a buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane. This recorder is apparently a customized version of RemoteAnywhere created to infect Valve (at least it hasn't been seen anywhere else, and isn't detected by normal virus scanning tools).

6) Periodically for the last year we've been the subject of a variety of denial of service attacks targetted at our webservers and at Steam. We don't know if these are related or independent.

Well, this sucks.

What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details. There are some pretty obvious places to start with the posts and records in IRC, so if you can point us in the right direction, that would be great.

We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community.

Gabe

Spy<VS>Spy
03-10-03, 15:35
okay, i admit it...i stole it. i didnt want to but the guilt got to me, yes i'm a REAKKTOR media spy...i stole the source code for halflife two so neocron could use the cutting edge coding techniques to finish their secrete project.

Neocron 2
return to ireta VI

you see, we planned to rewrite it in binary german...that way no one could figure out it was the stolen source code...

the reason why its all over the net was, well...my fualt, i forgot to put it into the privite password protected FTP dirrectory and uploaded it into the public folder...damn meddling kids, mirrored it all over the place.