PDA

View Full Version : The drop rate for the "strange book" is rediculously low.

Shadow Dancer
02-10-03, 10:41
This is supposed to be one of the substitutes or alternate methods of getting rares? Even if it was 5-6 parts to accumulate, SOMEONE would have gotten it sooner or later and much faster. Within ONE week of the new rare apu barrels coming out, I had all 3.

How come I haven't seen any get a book yet? I haven't heard it, or seen a pic, I've only heard someone from jupiter got it. Surely SOMEONE would have said something.

I would have preferred the 6 part method if I knew that the "strange book" drop rate was gonna be .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%.

sparrowtm
02-10-03, 10:44
/edit: please delete, information proved to be wrong (again) :(

death&decay
02-10-03, 10:58
Lol yeah.. That ain't too cool.

Sobi
02-10-03, 11:00
Yeah, the drop rate of the book "strange book" is really crap.

Yesterday I made about 10 Cave runs, but no book. And considering that I was the only one to be able to loot the Queen (Im APU). So what about all the other players who dont make that much dmg. I mean, if I would get at least two books, I could give one away. But with that crappy drop rate...

It will really take a lot of time for the other classes who dont make that much dmg to get a "strange book".

Crest
02-10-03, 11:25
Not to worry, the rate will be adjusted in time, may take a month or two. This way it prevents camping.....

Like El Farid and the queen, I was hunting out there alot and always checked for her, now of recent I have got to kill her at least once a day this week (Except last night when she got to kill me)....

Imagine how crap it wuld be if every time you killed a boss you got a book, now thats not rare.

It will sort itself out....

Hey all you monks go hunt there, leave the scorps alone

s0apy
02-10-03, 11:37
the strange book drop rate works just fine:

it keeps all the high level players who aren't camping MC5, camping all the caves instead.

it ensures that the tiny minority of people who are able and willing to continually camp very high level mobs eventually are the only ones with such very high level/desireble items.

it ensures that everyone either gets very frustrated that they are unable to survive such caves, or very very frustrated that they have spent hours and hours camping such caves with all their mates in tow, still to no purpose and with very little to show for it.

it provides a legitimate outlet for the tiny minority who accept the inevitability that they can, and will, NEVER acquire such items to just say "meeeehhhh" a very great deal.

did i miss anything?

oh yeah - it prevents the one subclass of players (those that use long ranged weapons) from acquiring the first new item of potential interest to them for ages (a rare lowtech rifle), by placing the only means of acquiring said item in an environment wholly uncondusive to their particular skill (i.e. the close, cramped confines of a cave, swarming with mobs).

dang.

Stigmata
02-10-03, 11:43
im sure the drop rate will be upped when they eventually find the bugs that are introduced with every new patch, not saying that their are several (all) incompetent people at KK

Andy

REMUS
02-10-03, 11:48
I would love to think that its amazingly powerful..... and they dont want everyone to get it....... but some how.... i doubt it... lol :D

Shadow Dancer
02-10-03, 11:51
Soapy, i couldn't tell if your post was sarcastic or not.

s0apy
02-10-03, 12:03
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Soapy, i couldn't tell if your post was sarcastic or not.

the "dang" was the clue ;).

but i was dead serious in my last para.

Lucjan
02-10-03, 12:54
Come on, Callash already told he wants to try the new way to get rare items. This is something you can't really try on test server, you need many players to do it. Give him time. Starting with an extremly low drop rate indeed indicates a test done the proper way :)

der Ed
02-10-03, 12:59
Uhm... there are some other games out there, where you find certain items after 3 years of playing...

Lucjan
02-10-03, 13:08
Originally posted by der Ed
Uhm... there are some other games out there, where you find certain items after 3 years of playing...

And their name shall remain forbidden here...

...before anyone comes to some stupid idea making this one similar ;P

Al3X
02-10-03, 13:22
-WE WANT MORE RARE GUNS!
<gives rare guns>
-THEY ARENT RARE ENOUGH!
<creates a new system for rares>
-OMG OMG OMG THE DROP RATE IS TOO LOW
<drop rate increased>
-OMG EVERYONE USES IT! NERF TEH DROPRATE!
<droprate nerfed>
-OMG OMG OVERPOWERED!!!!! NERF!
<damage nerfed>
-TAHT GUN SUX! WE WONT USE IT!

:rolleyes:

its not bad that not everyone has the gun, i like the idea of (almost) unique items.. guns not everyone has.. but REAL rare guns... i managed to get 4 rare spells in about a day... that aint rare, its just a tradeitem....
so..
i like this new system...

tobolt
02-10-03, 13:36
Well the drop rate mat be crap but thats the whole point, The book is used to get the rare shotgun (i think) but if everyone gets a book easily then gets the shotgun it means the shotgun wont be all that rare. :D

DonnyJepp
04-10-03, 13:00
So has anyone found this thing yet on *any server?

I have a feeling that KK looks at it from the perspective of "how many boss mobs are killed per week?" and they incorporate that into their drop rate. I'd say that in a normal week of play, <1000 boss mobs are killed on Saturn. So, <1 book will be dispersed a week, and out of 1000 regular players the 150 riflemen that are waiting and working for it will get the thing in about 2006 or 2007, probably right after the PE PA and DOY are released.

Good thinking :rolleyes: Why even bother? The f*ckers will sell for like 30 million creds too.

Lanigav
04-10-03, 14:10
Unless this gun does 2-hit kills on everything, the trouble getting it is hardly worth it.

Psyco Groupie
04-10-03, 14:59
shotguns do 4 stacks of wotever ammo mod they are modded with ... it should be a damn nice weapon

Ryuben
04-10-03, 15:13
your forgetting one thing, you take the book to some guy and he gives u the rares then you make it

:very evil grin:

You DO know that the first one will come out with 0 slots :)

;)

lullysing
04-10-03, 17:00
What pisses me off is that players without clans, such as myself on saturn ( I play a Ca tank on saturn, mostly for fun and use of storm lazers ) won't get much of a chance in hell to get those things.

It's like, i go to point red, there's always people there but they are NEVER there for hunting the rocket mutants... Then i try by myself and it just takes me forever and half my ammo to get one of the lieutenants.... then i realise that HEY, the doomie is even harder.

So i figure i'm gonna get some people to help me on this, share the loot, whatever.... no people whatsoever want to come. it's just crazy man... And i'm not even shooting to get a book here, only a judgement day rocket launcher ( and no, i don't want to buy yours, i want to get one, thank you) and look at the problems i got. And me, i KNOW there's gonna be alauncher at the end of the tunnel....

XaNToR
04-10-03, 17:11
hmmmmm.... strange book = rare
what do u guys want ?

its good that not everyone immediately gets the shotgun...

ericdraven
04-10-03, 17:37
Originally posted by XaNToR
what do u guys want ?

Ssssht, you risk flames by saying this. :p

Lanigav
05-10-03, 08:30
what do u guys want ?

There's a difference between normal rare and "harder to find than platinum in a copper mine" rare.

Its not good that everyone immediately gets the shotgun, but its even worse when NO ONE gets the shotgun.

t0tt3
05-10-03, 16:47
Originally posted by der Ed

Originally posted by Lucjan
And their name shall remain forbidden here...

...before anyone comes to some stupid idea making this one similar ;P

And that game has more players world wide then NC ever had at its peak so I dont know I would prefeer the 3 years looking then hey all chars look a like and has the same cookie cutter setup O_o ! (http://www.blizzard.com/diablo2exp/)