PDA

View Full Version : Pc Feckerd again!!!

REMUS
01-10-03, 10:14
something about a memory dump??? ill write it down when i get back home.

It does everything normally, boots up gets to the part when there is a centural microsoft logo with that green bar running through it hangs for a bit there there is a blue screen with something about virtual memory dump.

I tried to use the windows disk to reinstall windows but i get this ghey thing saying if i want to start in safe mode, normal mode and safe mode with command prompt also one with "using driver configureation that was last stable" or somthing like that, ive tried them all but it crashs in the same place and it skips the part where the windows disk normally boots up, tried seeing if the hard drive was attached properly, swapped the ram thru all the sticks to see if one was blown or one of the ram ports was borked, WTF IS GOING ON!!!!! :mad:

Plz help!!! :(

Konrad McKenzie
01-10-03, 10:44
Sounds to me like your CD-Rom isn't set as a bootable device in your BIOS. Get yo ass into your bios and make sure that in the section where a 'boot order' for devices is listed that your CD-Rom is BEFORE the Hard Disk. Then you should be able to boot from your Win CD (assuming you have a bootable version ):D

\\Fényx//
01-10-03, 10:47
You have faulty RAM... Replace it.... reinstall your DIRTY XP home :wtf:

Job sorted :)

[Edit] Try running a memtest proggy on each individual stick of ram, a good one is available from www.memtest86.com Just dload it, stick it on a floppy disk and boot from it and you can test your RAM. Do it with only 1 stick of RAM in the PC at a time

Omnituens
01-10-03, 10:51
i got that loads on the XP install i had.

only had it once when NC decided to f*ck up and die.

Stigmata
01-10-03, 10:53
sounds to me like dodgy memory, replace it then see if it still occurs

Andy

Omnituens
01-10-03, 10:58
Originally posted by stigmata
sounds to me like dodgy memory, replace it then see if it still occurs

Andy
GET BACK TO WORK, ANDY! :D

get new ram + 2k

WINNER

REMUS
01-10-03, 10:59
ive tried moveing them about and using one stick at a time but it seems all 3 sticks must be fucked or somthing. I'll try the drive sequence thingy when i get home.

Cheers ladz :)

SynC_187
01-10-03, 15:25
A memory dump is no indication of a RAM fault. That would be a page error. A memory dump is just the contents of your memory being dumped to a .dmp file so you can invertigate what went wrong if you have the knowledge.

I would try to go in with Safe Mode. If that works, remove the last thing you installed/setting you changed.

If you can't get in in safe mode try last known good configuration.
If you still can't get in then it is possible to run a repair from windows setup on the CD.

If you are going to re-install then do the bios changes mentioned earlier (and remember to change it back when setup reboots for the first time).

REMUS
02-10-03, 11:43
i had to re-install windows after i changed the boot order (cheers konrad) and everything is working great, played a bit of half life on lan then i tried to connect and it wont pick up my modem for some reason and it wont find it either???? stupid wank 56k modem >_<

i tried selecting it from a list of modems but that doesnt work either, i know its not faulty because it workings in my other pc, but in this particular pc there isnt even a dial tone???

*kicks pc*

anyone got any ideas?

(dont know where the modem drivers are but it always picks it up without needing them before now :( )

[TgR]KILLER
02-10-03, 11:49
i had the same thing.. but i din't do shit about it just reinstalled windows.. and i think i gave it a fuckload of more virtual memory..

\\Fényx//
02-10-03, 11:50
Originally posted by REMUS
i had to re-install windows after i changed the boot order (cheers konrad) and everything is working great, played a bit of half life on lan then i tried to connect and it wont pick up my modem for some reason and it wont find it either???? stupid wank 56k modem >_<

i tried selecting it from a list of modems but that doesnt work either, i know its not faulty because it workings in my other pc, but in this particular pc there isnt even a dial tone???

*kicks pc*

anyone got any ideas?

(dont know where the modem drivers are but it always picks it up without needing them before now :( )

got a PCI simple communications controller in the device manager ? probably under other devices :)

REMUS
02-10-03, 12:31
why would the thing change?

*kicks pc again*

\\Fényx//
02-10-03, 12:35
why would the thing change?

*kicks pc again*

?

A modem is a PCI simple communications controller till you install the driver..

If you have that in your device manager update the drivers on it and then point it at your modem drivers...

death&decay
02-10-03, 12:53

It does everything normally, boots up gets to the part when there is a centural microsoft logo with that green bar running through it hangs for a bit there there is a blue screen with something about virtual memory dump.

That mostly happens when drivers or system files are damaged.
Can remove drivers by hand or reinstall windows to fix that :rolleyes:

REMUS
02-10-03, 13:06
Death&decay: hey retard i couldnt use the cd becuase my hd drive was booting up before my cd rom so it wasnt recogniseing it, so less of the :rolleyes: and read the thread before you post and try to make me look like a retard OK! :p

Fenix: what i ment was why would it do that even tho the drivers are still there, bahh oh well if it works ill know what to do next time

Cheers m8!

SynC_187
02-10-03, 13:13
With some modems you HAVE to install drivers first so it can create the software com port. If you have the modem in and it finds it before the ports set up it will never set up correctly, and you have to install Windows again from scratch.

REMUS
02-10-03, 13:17
the pc cant even find it :/ in the com ports

\\Fényx//
02-10-03, 13:31
Physically remove the 56k POS from your PC, buy a cable modem, get broadband installed, use the 56k POS modem to scrape the ice off your car this winter.....

Remove the modem, remove all drivers and anything related to your modem in the device manager, remove all installed net connections, reboot, turn off, refit the modem, boot up and install, cross every pinky you have and hope it works..... thats about all I can think of now .... o_O Or another win reinstall :rolleyes:

SynC_187
02-10-03, 21:11
Take it out, install the correct drivers, then shut down, put it back in and boot. Should find it.