where. There is no URL reference in the HTML source, somehow
after the page loads these links "render" into the website as
links and java popups come up when the mouse is over it for info
on where to buy the product(s).

Now I did a virus scan, nothing. Adaware scan, nothing. What
could really help me out is if one of you guys went to this same
site from the screenshot above at:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1472

See if these links appear so I know it isn't just me.

Thanks,
FBI

SorkZmok
01-10-03, 09:23
Hmm, i dont get that popup thing.
Page works just fine and normal.

But i`m using Mozilla Firebird, maybe thats a difference.

Scary.o_O

Shadow Dancer
01-10-03, 09:23
Nope, didn't happen to me.

GurTjaN
01-10-03, 09:26
lol idd they go to nowhere :s

same here

//GurT

FBI
01-10-03, 09:26
Ok this sucks then, what could it be. Did you guys have IE6
and it didn't show as well?

:confused:

FBI

Shadow Dancer
01-10-03, 09:27
Sork I think your sig is in violation of forum rules.

EDIT: FBI, it just happened when I passed my cursor over the green highlighted words(the links).

Psycho_Soldier
01-10-03, 09:29
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
FBI, it just happened when I passed my cursor over the green highlighted words(the links).

I got the same and I use IE6. I don't think it has anything to do with your PC. Just a note though, I have found that Spybot Search & Destroy works better than Ad-Aware.

SorkZmok
01-10-03, 09:32
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Sork I think your sig is in violation of forum rules.

Teehee, i think you already said that 2 weeks ago. ;)

juvestar15
01-10-03, 09:45
I get exactly what you're getting FBI.
This used to happen on my other PC but Spybot got rid of it.

I'm going to scan now with Spybot. I'll post here what the results were.

I'm using IE6 too.

Archeus
01-10-03, 09:48
run the updates on Ad-Aware.

double links looks like gator but you need the latest definations to get the latest gator.

Some websites do something similar though on purpose. not on your machine. Are you getting the same effect here?

Distaria
01-10-03, 09:57
Didn't happen to me. Using Win98 and IE6.
Also using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro with like all the security options turned on, maybe that's helping.

Psycho_Soldier
01-10-03, 09:58
When you guys do this, make sure you put your mouse cursor over the text. Graphics Card and hold it there, then you should see it pop up.

Distaria
01-10-03, 10:00
Nope, nothing. Still doesn't happen to me. Try Spybot Search & Destroy FBI, see if that finds anything.

Psycho_Soldier
01-10-03, 10:03
Originally posted by Distaria
Try Spybot Search & Destroy FBI, see if that finds anything.

I know im not FBI, but I used Spybot Search & Destroy and it still does it. Don't you need java in order to view it?

Shujin
01-10-03, 10:04
i got it, but it was ez to ignore

juvestar15
01-10-03, 10:09
I searched Spybot updated and all. Still didn't get rid of it.
I just updated Ad-Aware and scanned now. It is still there.

This thing is a bloody pest. :mad:

Spoon
01-10-03, 10:10
I see them.....
Didn't get an alert from Spybot S & D...
One of the links is to CNET, they are legit, as far as I'm concerned, although they are related to ZDNet, which is known for spyware(in the form of a cookie)...

See if you got a cookie called atdmt.com, one of those pages dropped that on me, it's a known tracking cookie...

related links:
http://www.spywareguide.com/index.php

http://www.pestscan.com/
check out their free port scanner..

GaZal
01-10-03, 10:12
If you want to get rid of those links get a Proxomitron (www.proxomitron.info). It's a handy freeware program that edits html files on fly allowing you to remove annoying things like ads, banners and popups from web pages. It has alot of premade filters, but you can make more of them if the need be.

Proxomitron is also the savior of 56kers, because you can reduce bandwidth usage with it because for example ads won't be DLed if Proxomitron filters them out. As well as it makes browsing the web a lot more enjoyable as you don't need to watch all the stupid flickering multicolored flashy ads as well as popups won't be jumping on your eyes and so on.

PS. If i turn Proxomitron off I get those links aswell. I'm using WinXP and IE6.

Konrad McKenzie
01-10-03, 10:53
Pazza, you'll notice that the block of text that contains those links is sitting in some DIV tags with an id of 'intellitxt' and is proceded by a scriptblock that is importing some dynamic javascript that adds in those links.

So don't fear, no virus's on your system. :D

juvestar15
01-10-03, 10:59
Originally posted by Konrad McKenzie
Pazza, you'll notice that the block of text that contains those links is sitting in some DIV tags with an id of 'intellitxt' and is proceded by a scriptblock that is importing some dynamic javascript that adds in those links.

So don't fear, no virus's on your system. :D

Me? It's with an "o".

Konrad McKenzie
01-10-03, 11:12
Originally posted by juvestar15
Me? It's with an "o".

I don't quite follow you O_o
If you're refereing to the name 'Pazza' then I should point out that its my official nickname for FBI.
:D

juvestar15
01-10-03, 12:21
Originally posted by Konrad McKenzie
I don't quite follow you O_o
If you're refereing to the name 'Pazza' then I should point out that its my official nickname for FBI.
:D

The name of my PE on Uranus is 'Pazzo'. Some people know it's Italian so they call me 'Pazza'. The 'a' at the end means it's feminine. Therefore refering to me as a girl. :rolleyes: :D

Konrad McKenzie
01-10-03, 13:28
Originally posted by juvestar15
Some people know it's Italian so they call me 'Pazza'. The 'a' at the end means it's feminine.

You listening to this Pazza (FBI)? And when I first started using it you thought it was cool :D

Ren
01-10-03, 13:35
i get them boxes when i move the mouse over some words.

Its just that webpage lol.

\\Fényx//
01-10-03, 13:40
I dont get it on my home PC with win XP Pro on it, Norton and Spybot S&D But I do get it on this work PC with Win2k and Norton...

o_O

kurai
01-10-03, 13:45
Hrmmm.

I don't get those ghost links, and the source code delivered client side looks normal to me.

Your issue looks very much like the MS "keyword" feature that appeared in IE a while back, and was quietly removed a few iterations later after massive outcry.

Another possibility is customized search tools - like the Google & Yahoo browser toolbars. I know the Yahoo one did something similar at one time, but I haven't used anything like that for a while.

Edit: Nevermind - I first tried it on XP with IE6 - didn't happen.
It *did* happen on a 2K/IE6 box howver.
The only difference in the IE setup is that I went through and set some custom security modes on the script/activex/java options on the XP machine, whereas I left the 2K box completely vanilla.
Might be worth poking around in the security permissions to see if you can kill it, as it looks very much like a bit of java annoyance

hinch
01-10-03, 13:51
i get the same chances are its an implementation of the ms smart tags that were introduced in IE6 yet nobody used :)

Redburn
01-10-03, 16:03
Seen them before, it's a plug-in for IE6....take a look at your add/remove program setting in the control panel not sure on the name of the plug-in I know it's uninstallable.

Rade
01-10-03, 16:47
Cute sig zork ;) I dont mind. My sig is from cracky if i remember correctly.

FBI
01-10-03, 22:24
Well this is what comes up on the page load:

http://mike.9m3.com/public/popup.jpg

When I disable this "access" the links are no longer rendered
and alot of those annoying banners on gamespy.com are removed
too, so I think i'll keep it like this. ;)

FBI

Keiron
01-10-03, 23:41
Ad-aware = old
Spybot = Newer (http://security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en)