PDA

View Full Version : Operation Systems which one are you operating on ?

GurTjaN
30-09-03, 11:29
I was wundering which OS is most popular under the players..
and if anyone have experienced problems with his/her OS or experienced good things bout it...

mine >

Windows 98 >

Runs great on the older computers and a lot of programs run on it. but slow due to too much attention of the GUI and buggy

Windows 2000 >

Just installed it isnt quite fast at starting up but really stable and easy to work with.

Windows XP > quite fast and handy with the good setup but with a clean installation slow due to too much GUI again and sometimes unstable when it crashed due to games.

Linux > never tried

so this is my opinion if u have something to add plz do

GreetZ GurT

ericdraven
30-09-03, 11:48
WindowsXP.

And btw - empty your mailbox or i can't reply to your PM.

GurTjaN
30-09-03, 11:53
man it looks like im bugged im having that for over a week now but viewing my profile it says i have no private messages and im sure i deleted them all :(

erm gott can you check this plz its kinda a problem since im asking ppl questions and gettin no reponses...

//GurT

ericdraven
30-09-03, 11:56
Your SENT messages also count toward the mailbox size. Maybe even the messsage tracking, so delete everything there as well.

J. Folsom
30-09-03, 11:56
Windows XP here, and, unlike most people, I'm rarely bothered by the usual FRE's and synch stuff. Though I doubt that's related to XP, considering I know many who do run XP have lots of problems with them.

GurTjaN
30-09-03, 12:00
the trick is to setup windows xp with the right things when u have a clean install there are a lot of things u can do to make it run faster the graphics user interface is slowing the windows if u ask me and by making that less active ur com will run fast and stable with windows xp not sure which things to turn off but im just hearding this stuff from my network engineer

//GurT

//edit @eric idd man im dumb forgot that to erase im not into forums alot can you plz send ur reply bout the apu monk ?

technomancer
30-09-03, 13:08
I put Linux. Which is technically a lie, I haven't even bothered to try getting Neocron running with WineX. But it's annoying that the only reason I boot Win2K these days is to play Neocron, I can play Q3A, Alpha Centauri and stuff in Linux!

Tycho C
30-09-03, 13:12
Yeah should have made it multiple choice. I mess with Linux too. Not much time to get NC running in Linux though, I don't like my new job.

ElfinLord
30-09-03, 13:33
I use Windows XP Pro. It's pretty stable and fast.

I built my PC about 2 months ago and, with the exception of the cubic ass load of stop errors that I was getting when I first installed the OS (bad RAM), I have had no problems.

I like XP better than 98 and I hated Me.

ElfinLord

Mr Friendly
30-09-03, 13:35
2k pro > xp :D

Fordaz
30-09-03, 13:42
I used to use XP Pro, but I hated it (and I kept getting fatal runtime errors in Neocron all the time).

I reverted back to Win ME and havn't had a glitch since. ME is a little more unstable than XP, but it does me good.

Since there's no ME option I voted 98... ME is just esentially a glorified version of it.

Mr Friendly: How is 2k better than XP? I'll give it a go if someone can convince me that it's not a pile of shite like most of these new operating systems are.

ElfinLord
30-09-03, 13:48
Originally posted by Fordaz
I used to use XP Pro, but I hated it (and I kept getting fatal runtime errors in Neocron all the time).

I reverted back to Win ME and havn't had a glitch since. ME is a little more unstable than XP, but it does me good.

Since there's no ME option I voted 98... ME is just esentially a glorified version of it.

Mr Friendly: How is 2k better than XP? I'll give it a go if someone can convince me that it's not a pile of shite like most of these new operating systems are.
My roommate uses Win Me and it is true that he fatals less frequently than I do in Neocron, but XP Pro gives greater functionality. Even though I may not ever use it to it's full potential, I like having it available to me.

Win2k Pro I think has less overhead, a simpler GUI, and less of Microsoft saying "you're too stupid to know what you're doing so we'll do it for you and you'll never know" than XP does. Just my thoughts.

ElfinLord

CryptoChronic
30-09-03, 13:50
Im running win xp pro and i love it.... with my experiences its more stable than win 2000 or just as stable and at the same time enhanced my graphics and fps in games... never crashed on me in a year of using it (ps. you can turn the extreme gui thing off so it looks like win 2k, and u can tweak it to minimize recource hog)

GurTjaN
30-09-03, 13:51
WIN 2K > WINXP

- cuz its much more stable ( thats y starting up takes a little while longer
- cuz its hasnt got a GUI thats so big that it slows the system
- cuz its faster to work with cuz of easier GUI and not all that fancy color nonsense
- cuz it has great options in network and internet cuz it uses server technogoly
- cuz it might take up quite some memory but it spends its good to make ur applications load faster ( that is uber )
- cuz win2k sounds better than winxp :P

@chrypto idd youre right thats the only way to work good with winxp shut off all the fancy gui thingies and make it look like win2k which makes it ALOT faster and more stable and handy to work with if you do that options its just a enhanced win2k

//GurT

Tombad
30-09-03, 13:54
I've used all of these, but voted for XP because my main playing comp runs it. XP's quite good after you turn of the candyland-theme. Then it looks like 2000 and works like 2000.

I spotted absolutely no differences between XP and 2k. XP runs fine, 2k did run fine until my HD went poof.

I don't have any 2000/98/ME machines anymore, but I run two linux servers operating on Debian linux. It's fast, customisable and apt-get r0xx0r. Gentoo is another good distro I've tried.

ericdraven
30-09-03, 14:00
Linux rules as server OS. My router/firewall/proxy/mailserver at home operates under Linux.

Don't really know if you can call Win95/98/ME an "Operating System".. i rather would call it.. hmm.. "toy". :p

GurTjaN
30-09-03, 14:06
so we agree winxp and win2k isnt that different from eachother once u put out the "candyland theme" on xp its has than :

- the same graphics users interface

still i believe winxp is still slower cuz there must be some background apps running so i would still choose for win2k cuz im sure that 2k tries to run as less apps as possible and winxp always has something with the stupid GUI they made

ericdraven
30-09-03, 14:12
I prefer being up2date, therefore i switched to XP.

But with 1.5 GB RAM and a few hundred gigs of HD space it's no problem. Would not recommend it for slow PCs tho.

msdong
30-09-03, 14:16
Originally posted by GurTjaN
WIN 2K > WINXP
....//GurT

well its the same as Pizza Diavlo > Pizza Hawai. its allmost the same but the first one have paprika and the second one pineappel the rest is basicly the same. :D

fact is that XP cot some cool features included that 2k missing.

ElfinLord
30-09-03, 14:17
Originally posted by ericdraven
I prefer being up2date, therefore i switched to XP.

But with 1.5 GB RAM and a few hundred gigs of HD space it's no problem. Would not recommend it for slow PCs tho.
I agree that XP is not for slow PC's at all.

My old PC, now my girlfriend's, had 512 MB DDR and a 40GB ATA 5400 RPM HDD and it was slow.

My new PC has 1GB Dual Channel DDR and a 7200 RPM Serial ATA 80GB HDD and it is a hell of a lot faster.

ElfinLord

Original monk
30-09-03, 14:38
i use xp on one computer, win200pro on the other and Me on my laptop.

win2000pro on my maincomputer: light and fast, this is the best one

winxp on the second one, goes nice but way to fancy, all the little programs slow things down, it looks nice and all but its a bit slower and less stable then win2000pro

winME: i use this one also fo a long time now, very unstable as i noticed and not that good, is the 3rd in rank

me personnaly i prefer win 2000pro, no fancy's and it does the job witouth crashing to much :)

edit: im no IT freak but this is my simple conclusion after years with those 3, i also used 98se alot but thats a bit to old now i think :)

Kugero
30-09-03, 16:09
Win 2k Pro.

when I'm feeling really frisky I'll boot to a dos 6.22 floppy and write basic "lunar lander" programs ...

evs
30-09-03, 16:26
yeah there are differences (a lot) between 2K and XP.

Try running roaming profiles on 500+ network on XP

even M$ cried at that one.......

Seezur001
30-09-03, 19:57
I was running Win2k, But it didnt like my motherboard or my vidcard, either way i could never boot to desktop, installed xp, works fine now.

2k is alot better than XP, lot more stable due to the fact its XP without the frills.

Ascension
30-09-03, 20:02
http://di.dell.com/images/us/segments/biz/logo_win_xppro.jpg

XP 4 me.. For sum reason i find it good:confused:

Hippieman
30-09-03, 20:07
I use a free copy of XP Pro *cough* *cough*

Dribble Joy
30-09-03, 20:11
2k pro here.
Simple and stable, took one look at XP and thought 'gah!'
Garish and too much, 'you're a dimb shit who knows nuttin' about comps'

Spoon
30-09-03, 20:14
Windows ME...I rarely get FRE's.....

Legoias
01-10-03, 00:18
Originally posted by GurTjaN
WIN 2K > WINXP

- cuz its much more stable ( thats y starting up takes a little while longer
- cuz its hasnt got a GUI thats so big that it slows the system
- cuz its faster to work with cuz of easier GUI and not all that fancy color nonsense
- cuz it has great options in network and internet cuz it uses server technogoly
- cuz it might take up quite some memory but it spends its good to make ur applications load faster ( that is uber )
- cuz win2k sounds better than winxp :P

@chrypto idd youre right thats the only way to work good with winxp shut off all the fancy gui thingies and make it look like win2k which makes it ALOT faster and more stable and handy to work with if you do that options its just a enhanced win2k

//GurT

You do know you can strip much of the XP features out of the install to make it just as nippy as Win2k...guess you didn't.

It's really quite scary the amount of people that install an OS and never experiment with the installations and configurations. There's a lot more to Win2k/XP than meets the eye.

Fordaz
01-10-03, 00:19
As I understand it... XP is just 2k that's been attacked with a crayon, and then had everything on it locked out and unmodifyable to prevent the system becoming unstable.

Oh.. oh... and it also locks out DOS so you can't format your hard drive... ever. Nor can you uninstall windows XP unless you installed it over an old version of windows (98 for example, if you clean installed it you're screwed).

I really don't like XP any more, it took me 2 days to find a way to get the fucker off my hard drive.

Legoias
01-10-03, 00:21
As I understand it... XP is just 2k that's been attacked with a crayon, and then had everything on it locked out and unmodifyable to prevent the system becoming unstable.

Oh.. oh... and it also locks out DOS so you can't format your hard drive... ever. Nor can you uninstall windows XP unless you installed it over an old version of windows (98 for example, if you clean installed it you're screwed).

I really don't like XP any more, it took me 2 days to find a way to get the fucker off my hard drive.

EH ? you really must be doing something wrong to have that much trouble.

Fordaz
01-10-03, 00:26
Windows XP has no DOS... seriously, try and access it. It has this fake windows-based version of it instead.

You cannot format your hard drive (the one with Windows installed on it) under Windows XP, not unless you download this thing from Micro$oft and create a 6-disk boot thing to get into it.

It's near impossible to get it off your computer if you installed it clean.

Legoias
01-10-03, 00:30
Windows XP has no DOS... seriously, try and access it. It has this fake windows-based version of it instead.

You cannot format your hard drive (the one with Windows installed on it) under Windows XP, not unless you download this thing from Micro$oft and create a 6-disk boot thing to get into it.

It's near impossible to get it off your computer if you installed it clean.

Windows 98 startup disk works just fine (or a Win98 CD), there are 100,000 places you can download the bootdisk from the net (if you 'lost' the original). No you cant boot to DOS like in Win98..so use a disk.

Fordaz
01-10-03, 00:41
Why should you have to use a Windows 98 boot disk just to access frigging DOS?

This is what I mean, you have to go to extraordinary lengths to do anything remotely complicated with Windows XP. There's nothing in Windows XP to allow you to access MS DOS, you have to use software from old programs to do it.

And don't even try to run an MSDOS program with XP...

XP is like the kiddy foolproof version of Windows for people who wind up fucking up the other ones.

Legoias
01-10-03, 00:49
Why should you have to use a Windows 98 boot disk just to access frigging DOS?

This is what I mean, you have to go to extraordinary lengths to do anything remotely complicated with Windows XP. There's nothing in Windows XP to allow you to access MS DOS, you have to use software from old programs to do it.

And don't even try to run an MSDOS program with XP...

NO XP is moving on, DOS is what 1980's ? There is very little that needs to be done outside an MS prompt, I’ve boot up on this system with a floppy once in the last 4 months. Reinstalling an OS is a fundamental change so yeh it can be done without a floppy but it happens rarely.

XP is like the kiddy foolproof version of Windows for people who wind up fucking up the other ones.

If you think so, are you running XP home or Pro? And once you swith off the XP styling there is very little (graphically) difference between XP and Win2k.

Me thinks this is turning into a flame, lets stear it back on track.

Omnituens
01-10-03, 01:37
XP for show, 2k for the Pro

normal DOS cant access NTFS drives, so booting from a floppy isnt going to work.

our college just installed XP on all their machines.

|-|4><><0r galore :D

Originally posted by Legoias
And once you swith off the XP styling there is very little (graphically) difference between XP and Win2k
i can spot a XP desktop a mile off.

its completely blue with grey text.

GurTjaN
01-10-03, 09:06
@legoias yes i do know check my post again bout the part @crypto there im saying that if u setup winxp good ull just get an enhanced win2k that works fine

//GurT

Mantus
01-10-03, 09:26
Using WIN XP. Its a really terible OP if you dont tweak it. Took me a while to find all the frills and disable them. I got a very stable system now thats allot faster then WIN 2k.

GurTjaN
01-10-03, 10:34
does any1 know a site with all the tweaks u need for winxp or can you just let tweak xp run and do it for you ??

//GurT

Fordaz
01-10-03, 15:51
I was running XP Pro, but I just hated it. Every time I tried to run something that wasn't brand new, I usually got a stupid error and a request asking if I wanted to send the error report to Microsoft.

Hell, even Flight Sim 9, a game that was designed for XP, fucks over every hour.

I've gone back to Millennium, now by no means is this a good operating system (in many ways I'd rate it the worst of them all), but it just goes to show the lengths I'll go to get XP away from my computer.

You practically have to disable 90% of the OS and use 3rd party tweaking tools just to get it to run fast enough to compete with other OS's (though 90% of it is pure shit anyway).

People can say "XP is great if you do this, or that, or the other" but out-of-the-box, Windows XP is probably the worst OS you can get, even moreso than Millennium, and that is bad.

Jesterthegreat
01-10-03, 15:53
XP Pro Corperate edition

love it ^.^

i found the best tweaks page... 350 tweaks i think...

it was something like www.kellys-xp-corner.com

try changin it a bit to find it lol im not 100% sure

and btw i have deactivated alot of the shit on XP and it now works great... 60fps in plaza 1 at peak gaming time...

Legoias
01-10-03, 15:57
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fordaz
I was running XP Pro, but I just hated it. Every time I tried to run something that wasn't brand new, I usually got a stupid error and a request asking if I wanted to send the error report to Microsoft.

Hell, even Flight Sim 9, a game that was designed for XP, fucks over every hour.

I've gone back to Millennium, now by no means is this a good operating system (in many ways I'd rate it the worst of them all), but it just goes to show the lengths I'll go to get XP away from my computer.

You practically have to disable 90% of the OS and use 3rd party tweaking tools just to get it to run fast enough to compete with other OS's (though 90% of it is pure shit anyway).

People can say "XP is great if you do this, or that, or the other" but out-of-the-box, Windows XP is probably the worst OS you can get, even moreso than Millennium, and that is bad.
/QUOTE]

You can't judge a product just because you have some problems (look at neocron!). I have run WinXP Pro on my own desktop, XP Pro on my laptop and XP Home on my brother's PC 'out-the-box' and never had any issues. How ever Win98 was a different story I once had to re-install the OS 5 times in one night and the problems just kept coming.

I've worked for a large UK company supporting Win95/98/98SE/XP, NT4.0/Server, Win2k Server/Adv. Server and sometimes you jsut have a bad pc or laptop that refuses to work correctly.

Legoias
01-10-03, 15:58
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
XP Pro Corperate edition

love it ^.^

i found the best tweaks page... 350 tweaks i think...

it was something like www.kellys-xp-corner.com

try changin it a bit to find it lol im not 100% sure

and btw i have deactivated alot of the shit on XP and it now works great... 60fps in plaza 1 at peak gaming time...

google is thy friend... http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp.htm

Jesterthegreat
01-10-03, 16:01
aye... but my boss is not thy friend, and im at work ^.^

but yeah... the sheer amount of tweaks on there... :eek:

Xian
01-10-03, 16:14
I run XP Pro.

I honestly don't see this.. horrendous, horrible slow-down that everyone talks about with XP. I run on 512MB of SDRAM, which I don't think is extravagant, and I never, ever get lag problems unless it's me doing something stupid.

I like the fact that I can customize my desktop silly and not have it look stupid. I do agree that XP does give off the 'this is an OS for people who don't know anything about computers' vibe, but if you turn off all the kiddy-crap it runs brilliantly.

Only problem is I can't get litestep to work. :(