PDA

View Full Version : Decrease rank effect on Loot Drops

Nullifidian
29-09-03, 19:29
Yes, I think rank should affect what loot drops from what mobs to a certain extent. However, there is a point here it just gets ridiculous. Players are actually purposefully trying to lower their rank so that they can get better loot while hunting. That's retarded. I'm all for risk vs. reward, but you have to admit, it's a bit bogus to have to use lower level equipment just so you can get decent loot when you go out hunting for it.

So basically I've got three options here:

1) Keep things the same
- this is self explanatory

2) Decrease the effect that rank has on loot
- preferably post here to give your opinion of what kind of decrease you'd prefer

3) Eliminate the effect of rank on loot drops
- make it so no matter what rank you have, you get the same loot as everyone else; realistically and roleplaying wise this makes more sense, but one might argue this would violate risk vs. reward

Progenitor
29-09-03, 19:39
It's one of the reasons I don't hunt with rares, so that I get a better chance of better loot.

-p

Judge
29-09-03, 19:41
I say eliminate the rank effect on loot.

japata
29-09-03, 20:07
It's really fine to see how over-ranked apu's and my under-ranked HC PE don't get any rares simply because of their ranks. Sure, they have the muscle and the defense but no: "We be big monster, we give no meat to y'all" *sigh*

Nullifidian
29-09-03, 20:12
Wow, this wasn't expected at all. I was thinking I'd get a lot more people saying keep it the same, and very few saying eliminate the effect entirely.

The way I see it though, when I do feel like going hunting, the actual killing of the creature isn't all that fun because the AI is so piss poor. So the only reward is the loot. That said, I imagine it's pretty much the same way for a lot of folks. So if you don't get any loot at all, then it's not only disappointing but disheartening as well. It is a game afterall, and I don't think a couple extra level 2 and level 1 implants are going to break the economy.

The only reason you might not want to totally eliminate the effect is that it would make it tougher for midlevel people to find midlevel mobs to fight since those would might wind up being demolished by extremely high level folks.

I was thinking one thing they should do is cap the effect you have on loot at your level. Here are a couple of examples:

someone of rank 14/30 gets loot at level 14
someone at rank 20/14 would also get loot at level 14

Meaning, it takes the smaller of the two rank numbers and uses that to determine your loot. This would prevent the ridiculous situations of not receiving any loot from Warbots for example.

Progenitor
29-09-03, 20:37
My biggest complaint is that a lot of times I find tech parts on Doomreapers 76/76 and on Grim Chasers(120/120) and Persecuters (110/110), I get Weponpart, Vechicle (componetents) etc., etc. 9's and 10's, often times, just one of them.

I'd expect it to be the other way around.

-p

Nullifidian
29-09-03, 22:26
Well, I gotta admit, loot in general in this game has pretty much sucked ever since they stopped making mobs drop the equipment they were actually using.

Cyber Guards and Sentinels used to drop laser pistols and laser rifles. Agressors used to drop gatlin pistols. Butchees dropped grenades. And so on.

The argument of course was that some mobs were hunted too much and gave too much reward for the difficulty of killing them. After that though, the loot tables just simply blew. Then they added that whole thing with the loot decreasing as rank increased, and things just got worse. Now there is no thrill in killing anything anymore because the loot is so shitty.

Disturbed021
29-09-03, 22:51
Originally posted by Nullifidian
Well, I gotta admit, loot in general in this game has pretty much sucked ever since they stopped making mobs drop the equipment they were actually using.

Cyber Guards and Sentinels used to drop laser pistols and laser rifles. Agressors used to drop gatlin pistols. Butchees dropped grenades. And so on.

The argument of course was that some mobs were hunted too much and gave too much reward for the difficulty of killing them. After that though, the loot tables just simply blew. Then they added that whole thing with the loot decreasing as rank increased, and things just got worse. Now there is no thrill in killing anything anymore because the loot is so shitty.

Exactly! I think the only mob that drops Filter Heart 2's is a Terror-Leaper o_O so a Fire mob drops an item that increases your resistance to Xray and poison?o_O Just one small example of the silly loot tables. Imo they should totally be reworked so that mobs drop items that make a little more sense.

Nullifidian
29-09-03, 23:04
Originally posted by Disturbed021
Exactly! I think the only mob that drops Filter Heart 2's is a Terror-Leaper o_O so a Fire mob drops an item that increases your resistance to Xray and poison?o_O Just one small example of the silly loot tables. Imo they should totally be reworked so that mobs drop items that make a little more sense.

On one hand it wasn't that gretaf or the game economy, but on the other hand, people were having a hell of a lot more fun.

Omnituens
30-09-03, 01:07
before the hybrid nerf, all i got from Doomies was 1 horn scraps. no reward either.

filter heart 2 drop from 5 different mobs, but 1 of those does not spawn anymore.

Mankind
30-09-03, 01:32
It's the reason I lvl off warbots with my TT epic rifle instead of my pain easer or ray of god. My rank with the Kami chip is insane, so fighting warbots with the TT laser keeps it pretty normal.

flyjedi
30-09-03, 02:02

i don't think rewards in neocron are anywhere near high enough. SL and sympathy is ok but you get fuck all cash for stuff when your a n00b which sucks. especially if you can't spunge off a mate. If i didn't know anyone who played neocron when i had started i would have struggled i think to get started (not just cause the game is confusing to begin with) because of the lack of cash. they even zap your starter cash in the first genrep.

japata
30-09-03, 06:17
A bit O/T but yea. The noob money situation is quite bad. I, as an experience player, tried to start over on a new server. It worked for a while, until I had to make the more expensive weapons as the shop-bought pistols made too little damage to aggressors and such with the result of me ending dead - always.

Then I got bored and got some monetary donations from my friends there, but still thought "Hey, I could try to keep this money balance at an even 2M". And I did.

The funny part comes here: There I was, butchering butchees and hurlers at OZ4 to make enough money for a new uzi. *bang bang bang* And it was dead thanks to my darling autopistol. Knowing that my measly spy would die if I went to the storage, I camped the OZ hurler spawns. When I finally got that uzi, my rank was already so high (thanks to me putting all my points into WPL and PC), that I got no good loot from hurlers or butchees... it sucked pretty bad. Only thing I could do is go leech exp in chaos caves which was the last thing I wanted to do. But oh well. It turned out pretty well. :)

massic
30-09-03, 06:26
Eliminate the rank effect on loot drops.

There should be reward for advancing your character all the way to cap, not a penalty as seen now by the loot drops at high level.

I can understand the crap loot drops when you get the "Pick on somebody you own size" message obviously killing a 1/1 spider shouldn't give the same rewards to me as it would a 0/2 player, but if i get a money reward for something I should also get a good loot drop, not a can of warbot cola.

It's hard enough at cap to find a reason to play other than PVP when you get no more experience for kills, no good loot and a decrease in money reward.

Anymore days go by between my logins as I can't find much reason to play anymore.

Nullifidian
30-09-03, 06:37
Wow, I wonder who that lone person who voted to keep it as it is?

I have a favor to ask anyone who knows German. Can you please translate this poll and post it in the German forums? I'd like to see the opinions there too. Perhaps if they are as overwhelming as here, KK might do something about it.

Mantus
30-09-03, 06:48
As long as the mob is yellow or red to you, it will drop a consistant amount of loot.

Today. Just fot the fun of it i decided to kill 3 Warbots. With the First Love my rank was 73/63.

First mob dropped an E rare, second kill dropped a T rare, and the third a Smart Cyber Eye 4.

What does this tell me? That i got really lucky. Other people get really unlicky. It has nothing to do with your rank.

The only problem that could posibly be a problem is the Doomreaper which is rank 76/76 and would be green to some players. To remedy this, just pull out a lower TL weapon.

I kind of like the way rank eliminates loot, as it means that you can empty aggressor corpses really quickly so that they can spawn back and be available for all the newbies that are leveling in the cellars.

Nullifidian
30-09-03, 06:58
Originally posted by Mantus
As long as the mob is yellow or red to you, it will drop a consistant amount of loot.

Today. Just fot the fun of it i decided to kill 3 Warbots. With the First Love my rank was 73/63.

First mob dropped an E rare, second kill dropped a T rare, and the third a Smart Cyber Eye 4.

What does this tell me? That i got really lucky. Other people get really unlicky. It has nothing to do with your rank.

The only problem that could posibly be a problem is the Doomreaper which is rank 76/76 and would be green to some players. To remedy this, just pull out a lower TL weapon.

I kind of like the way rank eliminates loot, as it means that you can empty aggressor corpses really quickly so that they can spawn back and be available for all the newbies that are leveling in the cellars.

Have you tried being a noob lately without funding from anyone else?

It takes forever to scrape any cash together. You are always behind on your armor and weapons. Forget about getting implants.

japata
30-09-03, 07:01
Bring back gatpistols from aggies! Noobs get good money out of them and nowadays it's faster for high-level players to hunt fire mobs or hang out in caves than to collect gatling pistols... maybe lower their value or something, but bring precious loot back in again for noobs too!

Mantus
30-09-03, 07:32

It takes forever to scrape any cash together. You are always behind on your armor and weapons. Forget about getting implants.

Perhaps what we need is a guide on how to make a buck rather then changing the game mechanics.

Newbs should always start in the sewers, and farm plants. The loms are great for starter cash.

After that there is farming Beggars and Aggressors for bones. The aggressor cellar will usually give a player 100k per hour.

Then there is farming bones/chips of launcher or vehicle parts of bots in TH.

Once decent warbot/firemob killing equipment is purchaced the character will be very well on the way as the big money comes from rare trading.

joefriday
30-09-03, 08:00
rank should NOT affect loot drops, period.

it doesnt make sense to penalize people for leveling. The difficulty of killing the mob should be the deciding factor in who kills it. (ie it's not viable to kill a wb at xx/10).

If 110/110 mobs dropped significantly better loot than 80/80, high level people would all be killing the 110s, leaving the 80s for mid level players.

Rank penalties are COMPLETELY unnecessary and make high level play MUCH less enjoyable.

while we're on it, the loot table needs to be completely restructured.

Warbots drop better loot than DOY bots and YREPs. That's just not right.

more risk SHOULD = more reward.

Mantus
30-09-03, 08:05
Originally posted by joefriday

more risk SHOULD = more reward.

I totaly agree on that.

ericdraven
30-09-03, 11:36
From my own experience the loot starts to decrease when you EXCEED the mobs rank and NOT before.

And i don't see a problem with that. Why should someone with rank 80 *** get the same loot as someone with the rank 50 * if both kill, let's say, a Launcher (50 *)?

Once you exceed the mobs rank the loot decreases, once you exceed it by 25 levels you get no loot at all except one item which is Warbot Cola or crap like this. I think that's perfectly fine.

Stories like "you have to have rank 49 to maximize your loot" belong to the fairy tales, IMHO, because i NEVER experienced something like this.

Nullifidian
30-09-03, 15:08
Originally posted by ericdraven
From my own experience the loot starts to decrease when you EXCEED the mobs rank and NOT before.

And i don't see a problem with that. Why should someone with rank 80 *** get the same loot as someone with the rank 50 * if both kill, let's say, a Launcher (50 *)?

Once you exceed the mobs rank the loot decreases, once you exceed it by 25 levels you get no loot at all except one item which is Warbot Cola or crap like this. I think that's perfectly fine.

Stories like "you have to have rank 49 to maximize your loot" belong to the fairy tales, IMHO, because i NEVER experienced something like this.

Actually you're wrong, it's a sliding scale based on % of level. If you have equal rank you get less loot than if you have 80% rank. Once you go over 100% rank, then the loot really starts to fall off fast, especially for the lower level mobs. This is especially bad for APU monks for example which get overinflated ranks even in the beginning.

GurTjaN
30-09-03, 15:13
im not really having trouble with these kind of things im foolin around a bit on fire mobs now and i got from killing bout 12 85/85 fire mobs 6 techs and my rank is 54/58 im an apu monk with an near capped fire apoc and still i get nice oh yea and got 3 vehicle comp parts...

but i must admit on warbots its just terryfing how little techs u can get most of the timeso i switched to killin fire mobs is much better

//GurT

ericdraven
30-09-03, 15:17
Actually you're wrong, it's a sliding scale based on % of level. If you have equal rank you get less loot than if you have 80% rank. Once you go over 100% rank, then the loot really starts to fall off fast, especially for the lower level mobs. This is especially bad for APU monks for example which get overinflated ranks even in the beginning.
Are you SURE about this?
As i said, i can only speak about my personal experience.
But my monks rank exceeds now the rank of a Doomreaper and still i am able to get up to three rare parts at once from that mob.

J. Folsom
30-09-03, 15:20

It takes forever to scrape any cash together. You are always behind on your armor and weapons. Forget about getting implants. I've never done any different; the only character I had slight problems with the cash flow was my droner though, for the others (Especially the psi monk) it was easy to make money. It's just a simple case of taking everything which is worth anything with you, then selling it when you can't normally carry anymore (Or, if you're hunting in the OutZone, until your gogo is full, if you're hunting in the OZ by the way, the random junk is especially good as it stacks.), I can easily make around 100k an hour in the outzone if I make the effort, and that's with no cost because I clone all the needed ammo.

Edit: In fact; as real newbie, it's not easier to make money then it originally was. As some of the random junk from stuff in the level 1 sewers is actually worth something now.

Nullifidian
30-09-03, 22:42
Well, only 57 votes at this point, but it still looks massively in favor of a decrease of effect of rank on loot of some kind.

And it looks like there is even a majority of folks who want that effect eliminated entirely!