PDA

View Full Version : Remember the n00bs, and being one?

Psycho_Soldier
28-09-03, 00:16
Remember at early retail. All the n00bs. Most of the people thought laserblades were the best thing ever (including me :D ).
I remember seeing the first laserblade after using a baseball bat for several days and almost fainting. LOL. Staying 2 weeks or so in the sewers, lmfao. I remember playing with my friend who I thought knew everything, but didnt know much about anything. He told me not to trust anyone, and made me pay so he could lom to research, then construct, then back to weaponlore to construct my guns (he was a low level PE).

Even though it seems like it pretty much sucked, I actually had ALOT of fun then. I think it would be fun to go down in the sewers every once in awhile to see a bunch of n00bs killing spiders, and showing them my fancy CS and shooting a spider just so they could be in awe. Discovering new places and not knowing what will be behind the corner. Maybe a new mob, shop with new, and really awesome items.

I remember someone telling me about the Military Base. I thought it was gonna be some really huge place, where I could find all sorts of cool stuff, because I started off in Neocron city, which is of course the best city in the game. Once I got there though, it was a huge dissappointment, as well as seeing outside of Neocron and not seeing tall skyscrappers. I also remember running to this place (forgot now), but it had lots of 3 star Giant Raptors. Looked like 100 of them, we shot them with our unlabled laser cannons, and they all flew after us, and we took off in red car, and barely got out alive.

After that, my friend LOMed to hack and we started our own clan. He took me to Jeriko and said. See that place over there? That will be ours. My eyes opened up really big and I got all excited. He went to hack it and a tank with a CS and white PA came up to us, pulled it out and I almost shat myself (we were only 2 chevs at the time lol), and he told us to leave or he would kill us, and we got the hell out of there haha.

I really miss being a n00b, because things were just more exciting and there was alot more adventure there because I did not know what was out there. I know I will never experience that in this game again, but I think it would be more enjoyable to see as many n00bs as there once was here again.

Edited: To make it easier to read.

Logan Tyrus
28-09-03, 00:35
Ya know i was thinking the same kinda thing only last night. Being a noob was hella fun coz there was so much we didnt know! I mainly remember the first time i logged in and found myself on this strange concrete place with a bridge over a huge drop, then some strange computeres and a crazy pair of blue things. I worked out they were lifts and went down. The second i saw everyone buzzing around and trading and so on my stomach churned! Also this was my first online game so i started to think about how each character in plaza was someone sitting at home with their computer. CRAZY STUFF! But the novelty's kinda worn off now.

*sigh*

I spose its coz im more worried about getting a good PE and not being ganked coz ill lose all my funky shit. As a noob none of that mattered :rolleyes: :)

Dribble Joy
28-09-03, 01:02
I remember when I first stepped down into the 2nd lvl plaza sewers. ONOZ a lvl 12 mob aaaaaahhh!!! runn awaayy!!!
Then while bimbling around for a few weeks, Thethryl asked me if I wanted to join his clan. Me? In a clan? wooooooooooo!!!!
AH, and my first plasma pistol, those were the days.
The first time I saw a Raptor, I thought it was a dragon :p

Quite frankly, there hasn't been a time in NC when I haven't had fun.

Drake6k
28-09-03, 01:15
Oh yes being a noob... I was in the sewers until rank 18, used store bought guns until rank 32. Joined the Khans at 18... got pked 9 times a day. I was a repairing, hacking, melee, PE. :D

Q`alooaith
28-09-03, 01:18
Yea, though my newb status started in Beta, so I knew my way around the city mostly when retail hit, though I'd never been outside..

I remember running about like mad, falling off the skywalk and dying... walking about the wastes and getting totaly lost, joining a clan and being driven up to CRP and grabbing the GR just before getting ganked.. I rember putting item's into my backpack before repping anywhere, or going into pepper park..

oh fun day's..

Now it's all, go aggy celler's and power level till you can walk to MB, to beat up launcher's at bunker, till you can beat up Warbot's and hack rarepart's from them.. till you can walk to bass caves and kill boss mob's for boss loot...

I've had an idea..

Mantus
28-09-03, 01:27
There is certainly something very special about being a newb. Because at that point you feel like you have no limits. Oh i would give up anything to be like that gain...

...wait a minute, no I wouldnt! I love PWNING people! I love my two star rank. I love my apartment full of toys. Don’t worry precious *hugs his RoG* we will never part.

Rieper
28-09-03, 02:04
i liked not knowing my way about the city.. because it was infinite before i knew its limits :)

i remember seeing 3 guys in pp sewers with plasma pistols run past me and thinking WOW im gonna be just like that (i was a tank :p)

the best part was making friends ingame as a noob and leveling together. Im still in touch with a couple of the people who i frst levelled with :)

tho.. a lot of the ones i knew quit :(

John.nl
28-09-03, 02:05
Neocron is my 2nd mmorpg. First one was PE (Project Entropia, omg what a messy mmorpg).

I entered Neocron and died in combat with a sewer rat. Now, losing inventory in PE is a bug. Only if you played PE you know what kinda stress losing your inventory generates.

Then, a guy called Blasta or something was pk'ing in the sewers. I had my LE in and tried to slash him with my knife.

"Muhahaa You think you can take me on?" he was losing HP because of a poisenous plant and i thought it was me :)

I'll never forget my first trip out of Neocron city with a fella known as "Saunders". Great fun... too bad he didn't make it to retail. And Xep, now where is he?

And.. speccing my spy for heavy combat and melee :)

Q`alooaith
28-09-03, 02:14
I rember leveling with some ppl, I know at least two of em still play...

Heya Divide, don't play much anymore?

Bluelight's, I've only seen you in passing a couple times..

but then I've moved on to other char's, and other ppl I've leveled wtih...

Dribble Joy
28-09-03, 02:26
My char seems to have lost a whole load of friends.
I started proper lvling and making friends when I joined the Technocratic Order.Then when that died, some of the higher lvl peeps made the Skulls in CM.
But in the last few months, most of us seem to have dissapeared or gone elsewhere.
Havn't seen Angelsenior in about 8 weeks.

now i seem to go as a solo player, lending hands in OP fights to the ronins or anyone that wants to hire a Judge PE :p that and NF.

:(

RuButt
28-09-03, 02:30
yeah i remember being a newbie

me and itth and some other chick actually grabbed an op

itth was 1 or 2 chev tank, the chick was a 2 chev tank i think, and i was a 1 chec spy with tar...or 2 chev..

lol

me used a jeep, tank gunned it, and i was driving....and the chick was guarding teh gr...

we took grant...and some ppl with PA's came....PAs was rare back then...and we got really scared....but we actually killed one of them!

lol, we braged about that for days! :D - or at least me!

i also remember when me and itth tried to take jeriko....back when <0>wange had everything....so rizzy came with his shiny TPC or something...and said that he wud kill us if we didnt leave!

teh old days...

i dont think ppl ask before they kill theese days...or?

Rieper
28-09-03, 02:35
hehe, dj i remember TO :)

Q`alooaith
28-09-03, 02:38
I remember joining my first clan, DEA, the after they got boring stealing a gatlin pistol and leaving (lol, cheepo nasty loot one)...

ahh, then my dark day's of running ammo for HATE up at MB..

So many memorys.. time to make some new un's...

nonamebrandeggs
28-09-03, 03:23
I remember "growing up in the sewers" with R.S Savage, looting tons of LoMs from down there, I remember still killing plants when I was using an EPR. I remember hearing how great LB2s were and finally getting one csted, then taking it down to the TH core and thinking "Man, this really fuckin blows..." I remember hunting WBs for the first time with Legato Bluesummers. I remember Legato giving me a Motoric 3 once and being like OMG, THATS SO RARE! THANX!!! I remember not starting my sentances with caps and writing things like "u" and "r." I remember being really afraid to tell anyone my age or where I live. I remember yelling at MeGaMaN every day. I remember getting PKed by Flyl on my first day of retail, even though she denys it... I remember being in a clan with Kurai for like 2 weeks. I remember my first Pain Easer experience, and staring at the swirlie forever. I remember LoMing to droning and helping some clan kill Fenix, who dropped his CS. And most of all, I remember being a carebear and thinking I'd never EVER be a TG. Ah, retail n00bness was fun, it was like starting something completely new cuz I couldn't remember how to do anything from Beta :o. Well... I did remember the SUBWAY SPAWNS!!!!! :lol:

Scarus
28-09-03, 03:58
Hahaha... When i was reading this thread i was almost crying.. the nostalgia!... i think thats how you spell it?

God those days were great, I remember me and my friend had it all planned out... I would be the weapon/armour smith and he would be a bounty hunter who would get me my materials (we knew nothing about NC then)

I was a melee spy for most of my life, I researched and constructed!... I even added some STR points into H-C so I could use the grenade launcher... That was the best gun i ever had!

We used to sit at ASG for hours just marvelling at the bikes and how much they cost... one day we would own one... one day! We talked of having our own clan and being great leaders and taking over the entire server (once i got out of MC5 which took me about a week, lol)

When I first started I was NEXT... I remember seeing a building in the middle and I ran up a ramp and got lost and some friendly people told me how to get into my apartment... then told me my name because i had forgotten it, lol... I can only assume that was Plaza-2. I saw this spy who was AMAZING (about 3 chevs, lol) and I couldnt believe it he was letting me in the clan he was in I was almost in tears. He wouldnt let me in the clan apartment and i longed so much to see it, once he did.. i was amazed it was HUGE!... There was this constructor (melee spy) called Alisa Dojo or someone... and i needed wood for some chemicals (I also recycled) so she took me into the sewers "careful, plants hurt alot!" i hid my arse off... i remember seeing her slice at this plant with a claw and being amazed she then took me into her Via Rosso Level 2 Apartment... I got lost in all the rooms!!!!

I used the venturewarp for the first time and i got stuck in the marshes, there was marsh hippo bulls and i remember being terrified... i shot them with my sniper rifle and took one down and thought i was great for killing such a huge beast, i had to wait for it to be light since i forgot my flashlight which i needed to see in every condition, i remember sitting being scared witless of anything that moved or made a sound before i could wait till it was light and run my backside off back to NC hahah

My clan leader and another tank from my clan asked me if i wanted to go to neofrag, me and a friend tagged along and remember seeing a flurry of laserblades between them... the leader won and had about 2 HLT points left... so i shot him and hid... i'd killed him and i was so excited by the fact i'd killed a high level tank (about 3-4 chevs) heheh...god theres so much to say, I remember going out into the wastelands i saw a wolf and thought, NO WAY CAN I KILL THAT then getting hit by a dragonfly and running away! lol... then again i still do now sometimes, lol

GOD i love being a newbie at any game! the excitement and uncertainty, sometimes i wish i could have that feeling back again (only with my high level characters, actually no they'll die and ill lose all my stuff).... forget it, lol im happy now... i was then, although it was more exciting then... although now i have OP wars which are exciting... dammit!

Mattimeo
28-09-03, 05:53
My newbie days are a bit different that most of the ones I'm reading here. In the begining I was astounded by how big the city was, and the sewers.

then I heard over zone that there was a blockade at pepper park and I thought "HEY COOL! lets go check it out" and I saw what I thought was a huge fight 6 people just shooting at each other.

of course this was before swirlys, this was back when I got lucky with a Enforcer pumpgun with uranium and Killed a 2 chev character when I was barely one (this was the old ranking system too)

My Best newbie memory tho, is when a whole bunch of 1 chev players got pissed off at bitch for PKing them (bitch was a rather well known PK) and all of us just attacked her, that was fun times.

In fact, the only names I recognize from when i started are Reef (ran across him a bunch of times in TH) Kr3y and Danae (I remember when Danae started NCAT to help the nebies, that was cool)

I really miss those days now...

Garm
28-09-03, 06:57
I remember when I first started playing.

I think I was a 1 chev.

6 of us were at an Outpost and a vehicle came up with a White PA Tank in the gunner seat.

We were talking on TS and I said "Should we attack him?"

Everyone was like HELL NO! That guy will tear us a new one. So of course, we were all really nice and the first thing the tank said was "Please don't kill me."

--Garm

Q`alooaith
28-09-03, 07:01
damn lot of wussy Tank's in PA in all your newbi story's...

Are you sure they didn't just come and kick your butt's instead of saying weedy things..:p

I rember my tank, having to yell while getting shot at "don't shoot, please.... Would you like some more ammo sir... please stop shooting, your wasting ammo, would you like some more ammo?"

lol, used to do that a fair bit...

KidWithStick
28-09-03, 07:15
lol, i remember when i first got my plasma cannon i would go in the sewers and go behind a NOOB and open trade, and at the sane time say "BREAK THE TRADE AND I KILL YOU, DONT GIVE ME 1000CR AND I KILL YOU!!"

it was soooooofuckin funny when they would run while they said I DOTN GOT THE MONEY!!!1 then bam bam bam bam, dead guy on the ground :D

thats when pluto was really hardcore though...when you could hardly go in the newb sewers without getting raped up the ass...:) :lol: :cool:

Benjie
28-09-03, 07:17
I just loved not knowing my way around the city. Although I hated it at the time. :rolleyes:

I remember trying to work out what you had to do. I noticed people visiting Yo's a lot. (I started in plaza 2 right at the top) So I went to yo's and noticed I could sell things. I looted the crates and sold all the ammo. :p I then realised there were sewers and I thought "wow! Im gonna have loads of cash after this!!!"

I remember getting the guts to talk to someone for the first time. I was genuinly scared to speak to people. I miss those days. :(

nonamebrandeggs
28-09-03, 07:22
I almost forgot - I remember Kidwithstick PKing me in the newb sewers.

Psycho_Soldier
28-09-03, 07:32
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs

HAHAHA. I think I remember that, it was either you or someone else. We were in Red Triads or in Shenjin Bakufu or something like that, Musashi's clan. I went there (Plaza 3) and KWS took off out of the sewers and wouldn't go back down. LOL we were all n00bs then.

We are friends now though, so its cool...

VetteroX
28-09-03, 08:08
Neocron was awesome as a noob, so much to explore. I remeber fighting with a store bought pinfire nailgun, then my freid who had been playing beta for 2 weeks longer bought me a 3 slotted archer companion. My damage shot up and i thought i was a killing machine.

I remeber leveling vs mutant scouts and troopers, and the first time i was able to solo aggressors. I remeber telling my freinds playing "i can solo an aggressor now, im really getting strong! and them being like "wow, awesome they are tough shit!"

I remember seeing butchee for the first time and being like omfg that must be one of the biggest strongest mobs in the game!

Going outside for the first time was awesome, so scary and so much to explore.

MB was a disappointment to me too, i imagined a huge place to explore, lotsa old tanks and weapons lieing around, finding ancient technology etc.

I remeber after a few weeks of beta how I viewed getting to the epr with my PE as the hieght of super power.... (which back then it actually was)

I remeber thinking "how could anyone ever beat a warbot... thoes things could kill an army!" Then i remeber posting that i could solo them (with help of a tree and healing) and so many people were like "omg how?" or "you liar, no way"

I remeber in early retail my first rare, a Judge, and i lomed from rifles to pistols to use it...

One of my most fond memories was soloing the doom harbinger (group heal was as good as blessed heal is now, plus VERY few pes had 25 psi.. you had to work for it) and also killing the storm bot over and over, sometimes getting 6 techs at a time... and didnt have to exit to make him repsawn....

yeah, thoes were the good old days...

KidWithStick
28-09-03, 08:31
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs

:lol: :lol: LOL:lol: :lol:

TBH i dont remember hardly anyone that i PKed in sewers :p

Gotterdammerung
28-09-03, 09:42
I remember the first days I played, I followed the suggestions and made a city factioned character, I choose city admin and my starter apt was a level3 in plaza skywalk, I thought I'd finally arrived to have such swank digs. Everyone else around me were all noobs too and we had no idea what we were doing. We figured out about the rat killing in the sewers, at that time, the sewers were crowded with players and there was so much stuff down there to kill. Once we'd made a few creds, we did what everyone else did, bought a flashlight. It was funny to see, it was like a status symbol, packs of noobs running around with their flashlights out. Spawns in the PP sewers and OZ storage hall was nil, so i got to get a good look at them all and learn my way around.

Eventually I hooked up with a clan and when joining, the leader gave everyone 100k (I thought it was a fortune). I remember my first time into the wastelands, my in-game buddy had splurged on an illegal slotty (available for purchase then at the outzone Yo's) and had a 6 slotted Wasteland Eagle made so we went to crahn abbey, took the secret passage out and by the time we'd gotten to Einstein we thought we'd traveled for ages. Marine chips, Special forces, Psi-Cores all dropped as whole chips from hard mobs but the drop was sparce, the game was never flodded with them.

The best early times I remember though was walking around and exploring the whole of the wastes. I was on that road, a zone or 2 away from Blackhills, and seeing a warbot off in the distance. Somehow he aggro'd on me and as soon as I got hit with his freeze ray I could feel the hair stand-up on the back of my neck as I'm trying to get over a hill and out of his range, pressing the forward key harder (as if pressing it harder would make me go faster) and hoping I'd make it before dying.

Some of the best fun I still have is when I make a new character. Though I have been a player for a long time, and know the ins-and-outs of the game I have no special attachment to most of my characters and don't mind re-rolling when I feel like it. When I am that noob character again, I love to make it as a 0/2 from Neo city to the MB, activating all the Genreps and not dying.

J. Folsom
28-09-03, 12:10
Remember being a newbie? I still am one. ;p

Seriously though... One of the first things I did was explore the
Outzone, which is't the best place to start exploring as a newbie.
I got pretty lucky though, no random PKers, the spawn wasn't
working properly, and I think I even passed through the mythical
now unreachable zone (Outzone 7, in case you're wondering). I
also remembered seeing a group of other people, and feeling
really apprehensive around them.

It was pretty amusing, though it's amazing how times change.

SigmaDraconis
28-09-03, 12:37
ahh the days of the phos street rifle..

PP fights were actually fun. Tanks with RGCs and street rifles having western style shootouts between the Veronique doors and the snack bar occasionaly some fool with melee would get
brave enough to rush ;D Right before this i was a hacking PE..remember the armour boxes in the sewers? lol first time i saw inqisition armour..saw that stuff and was like OMG im never gonna be able to wear this !! Id farm the boxes for hours to make money lol.

After that i learned using STR based weapons raised yur STR betta ;D FINALLY got a HEW burner, I wanted to join NAT(dont laff..it was in beta) or Regulators so bad back then. My first OP war was amazing I remember this one specific part where applejacks and i were on the ridge behind Jeriko just spamming the place with our RGC's, I like the way tanks were played back then, felt like i was actually worth something in a fight lol.

Then after the whipe..when the caves were new..and before they put in the invisable walls...first HC PE i saw was in there...Insid with his RGC PE just so he could cap out fast lol, thought he was haxing to be able to level that fast.

Ahh, if theres anything i miss most out of beta its the clans...

RTech
NC Mafia
NEO

i think the only person still around from any of them is para..and i think i saw strych9 the other day heh

i miss TON and Cams D;

agh..nostolgia is making me sick