PDA

View Full Version : No PPU's in NC?

superfresh
27-09-03, 11:32
Just posted a few many times but here goes an extreme idea...I've been playing a PPU extensively lately and have seen the countless posts about parashock, etc.. Anyone wonder what it would be like if there were NO PPU's at all? The only reason I'm thinking about is that no one seems to do anything without them now. I remember the "old" days when some quality whoopass tank would sneak up behind mine when hunting and start plugging away. It was a one on one challenge. And there were also times when entire groups of players would raid and/or defend OPs without them. Now no one goes anywhere without a PPU. And we've all seen posts and complaints regarding eager OP raiders who are met with no opposition because "Our PPU's aren't on. Sorry..." Raids on TG, TH, and MB as well are almost NEVER done without PPU's present.

Not sure about other classes but as a tank, in a team, Ive been able to get through the Chaos caves without PPU buffs. MC5 is screwed IMO so I won't mention that, but before the glass was removed I witnessed players soloing it (AoE, kill, zone, come back and collect loot). I've seen EVERY class solo a Grim Chaser with the right approach. The only mobs I can think of where a PPU is a necessity in a team, other than MC5, are in the Worm Tunnels.

There are class imbalances, given, but I'm being idealistic :)

Then there's resurrection. How many players out there rely on resurrection in PvP? It's a given now. Most people play with the attitude that if they bite it, they bank on getting resurrected. What if there was no resurrection? What if when you died, the penalty was you HAD to get your pokes. Hardly a penalty compared to, well, RL.

The bottom line is, without PPU's, the outcome of both PvM and PvP situations would be be based solely on character development and player skills. Gameplay would be faster and more intense, and even more entertaining I think because you wouldn't have the comfort of a PPU, essentially, correcting your mistakes and/or misfortunes, and neither would your enemies.

Bedtime. Flame away.

IronMonkey
27-09-03, 11:40
Considering recently i had to lom from apu to ppu to make up for a lack of ppus in my clan yes i totally agree with you. When a clan faces a skilled ooposition at an op war with 3+ ppus and you have 1 or none, unless you are very lucky or their ppus seriously screw up you usually have little chance at sucess.

Of course the opposite is true that one can just get themselves a ppu or ppus etc.

At the end yes i totally agree in concept to what your saying.

But let me tell you this being a babysitter ppu is no easy job. And yes it does take skills in its own right. Just not pvp skills more or less babysitting skills.

TBH if kk would just work on the concepts of turrets more, to where they are actually beneficial to defense, rather than just earlyw arning alarms. PPU's might not be so heavily needed. For instance the healing turret etc etc

I dunno i feel for kk and the situation they are in atm. Op wars need some serious looking into.

superfresh
27-09-03, 11:49
Originally posted by IronMonkey

But let me tell you this being a babysitter ppu is no easy job. And yes it does take skills in its own right. Just not pvp skills more or less babysitting skills.

heh. I know, I used to buff and heal you in the Aggie cellars when we were noobs. (Roniziwa)

i'd like my dogtags back by the way. ;)

IronMonkey
27-09-03, 11:52
haha i got em in my cabs somewhere i think. I used to collect ppu dogtags lol

Didn't know that was you =-)

I'll check if i got em and dm u in game tmmrw or later today sometime

superfresh
27-09-03, 11:53
j/k. No sweat

But yeah. I hope other players appreciate their PPU's. It's a crappy job :/

Mankind
27-09-03, 12:30
I think I'd like the game without PPUs, even though I am one.

Ressurection - Remove it.
Getting pokes after death - Remove it.
Experience cut after death - Implement it.

This would mean that if you die, you start back at a genrep. You still have to recover items and can still drop belts. You still get synaptic impairment. But let's say you were 4mil away from leveling PSI to 95. Well now you are 6 mil away from leveling PSI to 95. But it will never go under the number. So if you were PSI of 95 and only got 2 mil experience so far, you would lose a little over 2 mil, but you wouldn't go under PSI of 95. Capped players would have the advantage of a no-death penalty other than loss of belt and backpack, but who says capped players shouldn't get some sort of reward?

Holy Paralysis - Remove it.

Yup, it only slows down PvP. Alot more fun playing Neocron without a PPU around. Many have found this out in battles in Pepper park. Go in, have loads of fun. The second a PPU turns up, it's about the opposition finding one. If they don't, they won't strike back and fight.

Heal - Don't Remove it.
What to do with it? Change it.

Make it so any character can use heal. It will still have the requirements as is, but will heal in the following manner:

Tank: Heals 10% of health every 2 seconds.
PE: Heals 20% of health every 2 seconds.
Spy: Heals 15% of health every 2 seconds.
Monk: Heals 25% of health every 2 seconds.

Well that's just the way I'd like to see NC without PPUs.

Nixon
27-09-03, 12:42
Fighting at PP for example is always fun, to the point when enemy ppu shows up.

Shadow Dancer
27-09-03, 12:43
IF ppus were removed or "truely" balanced, I would be sooooooo happy.

DartVader
27-09-03, 13:27
Originally posted by Mankind
Well that's just the way I'd like to see NC without PPUs.

ok - you want a Monk with Deflector, Shelter, resist Booster, Damageboost with the Damage output of an APU and the ability to restore full Health in 8 seconds?

think about it ... :)

Mankind
27-09-03, 14:43
nope i want all buffs removed as well :)

XoxSnakexoX
27-09-03, 14:57
PPUs ruined the game if you ask me. i do belieave kk could balance them by making shields not castable on others. and possibly even creating some type of substitute for para. but if ppus just disapeared and were deleted(i also have a good ppu) i woudnt mind at all. i would be happy

Syntax-Error
27-09-03, 15:54
As they are yes PPU sux ass.

they ruin the game. i dont like the fact one man/woman can change the outcome of a whole war no matter the ods. (ive seen 3 guys a APU a PPU and a tank killed 20+ without a PPU and thats bullshit)

Andronicus
27-09-03, 16:10
Yes 100% agree this game would be better without the PPUs. PvP is the driving force behind what makes this game truly interesting - but when a one side has a PPU and the other does not - PvP goes down the drain.

Mirco
27-09-03, 16:33
I`ve written about this before. I think the idea of having a healing/buffing and ressurecting character in game that is so incredibly hard to kill is mad. I`ve always felt that weapons should "outdo" heals and buffs, given the right weapontype is used no matter what.

I`d like to see ppu`s as a class your team had to keep safe and defend in a fight. I don`t see this happen though, because the ppu needs its abilities to justify it being pure and in that respect the current system works fine.

How about ppus being turned into a some sort of shaolin monk. Toned down defensive spells and stuff combined with some kickass meele weapons, speed and crazy acrobathics and some zen ability to kick the stealther spys ass.

DartVader
27-09-03, 16:48
why not just remove PvP?
Sounds like the ideal solution for me - whiners can stop complaining that others Chars are "uber" or "unkillable" ...

ericdraven
27-09-03, 16:50
Originally posted by DartVader
why not just remove PvP?
Sounds like the ideal solution for me - whiners can stop complaining that others Chars are "uber" or "unkillable" ...
That's a good one! :lol:

Eledhbrant
27-09-03, 18:11
I'm not even going to bother arguing about how you people want the class I have played since I subscribed deleted since it always leads to flaming.

Just this one thing: How would YOU like if your class was removed? And every item/weapon/implant you earned that was so hard to get and decent is now useless? (for example my slotted spells). It isnt fair to the people losing their class to now have nothing of worth. Or for them to be useless until they can lom to something else and THEN find some new equipment..

QuantumDelta
27-09-03, 18:20
Originally posted by Eledhbrant

Just this one thing: How would YOU like if your class was removed? And every item/weapon/implant you earned that was so hard to get and decent is now useless? (for example my slotted spells). It isnt fair to the people losing their class to now have nothing of worth. Or for them to be useless until they can lom to something else and THEN find some new equipment..

Heh, yea, I'd want tanks and APUs removed for actually doing damage :p

As for mankinds changes....
wtf dude, those heals?
As for "All buffs" being removed, kills PEs and Spies maximum potential gets nerfed.
Tanks get shit taken away from them, APUs get shit taken from them.

Cough.

And you can say good bye to getting through places like Chaos Caves "Quickly"
Or even trying it at all for most people with rezz gone.

MC5? LOL

ericdraven
27-09-03, 18:28
I propose a "PPU free" server.

Watching it's people count.. everyone will go there.. according to the whiners on the forum.. 500 people at peak-time on the ppu free server.

Two weeks later.. 10 people.. hm... what's wrong? You don't like it anymore? Got no new MC5 parts? No strange books? Very strange.. :lol:

Shadow Dancer
27-09-03, 19:50
Originally posted by ericdraven
I propose a "PPU free" server.

Watching it's people count.. everyone will go there.. according to the whiners on the forum.. 500 people at peak-time on the ppu free server.

Two weeks later.. 10 people.. hm... what's wrong? You don't like it anymore? Got no new MC5 parts? No strange books? Very strange.. :lol:

Obviously KK would tone the monsters down to an appropriate level.

ericdraven
27-09-03, 19:58
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
Obviously KK would tone the monsters down to an appropriate level.
Yes.. so that you can kill the MC5 commander with your fists. :p

SovKhan
27-09-03, 21:33
only reason i play NC is because of ppu. not everyone enjoys PKing you know.

Cruzbroker
27-09-03, 21:50
It's not PvP when PPU gets involved, it's PK. OP fight's different, APUs have Antibuff, maybe they just reduce a little on who u can cast things.

ghandisfury
27-09-03, 22:23
PPUs are unbalnced as you say...but they should not be nerfed. I have thought at one time that all direct heals/shelters/deflectors should removed, but then you still have the problem of resurection. The way (imo) to balance PvP is as follows.

#1 Add new damage types to the CON category, and lower the cap on damage resistance. This would give tanks thier true role as the "damage takers" in the game. I can have (as a PE) better resistance than a tank, and the fubar. Nobody aside from a tank should have good resistance against all forms of damage.
#2 Considerably increase the amount of damage that force/piercing does. I have seen unbuffed APUs take four hits from a capped SH, and that's fubar.
#3 Remove parashock, it has no place in a skill based game....may as well have a spell that makes you put your gun away for 30 seconds.
#4 Resurection should have at least a 5% SI penalty. This would stop people from returning directly into battle after they have died.
#5 give spies binoculars, thermal/nightvision. Give them the ability to hunt down their spy adversary.
#6 Remove the Mental stediness category from PSI, and replace it with exotic PSI. Resurection, debuffs, and damage boost should be some of the many spells in this catagory. This will stop an invincible (or close enough) PPU being able run into a group to rezz. If you wan't to rezz then you are going to sacrafice some of your defences. If you want to debuff, you are going to sacrafice some of your insane damage.
#5 driving should be intel based, not dex based. Spies and PEs sacrafice ALOT to drive.
#6 Give hackers a way to track somebody down. If somebody kills you, you should be able to hunt that person down until he logs, or dies.
#7 Remove safe zones. The only difference from a safe zone and an anarchy zone should be the belt drop rule. Yes, I should be able to kill that evil constructor that lied to me in plaza one.
#8 Increase the drop rate on rares......everybody should have to hunt warbots until they puke. Not only do rares give a sence of accomplashment, but the give a certain stature. If you lower the rare neccecaty, than you take away that accomplashment. You remove the NEED to hunt.....You kill NC.

I am quite certain that none of this will be added into NC.....I'm just on a rant, and wanted somebody to see.

EDIT: Other spells that should be in the exotic catagory would be spells that increase con by 5/10/15, or PSi 5/10/15....etc. It would last 10 minutes, but would let you wear your high level armor without drugs.

Ether230
27-09-03, 23:09
Heres an idea why doesnt everybody who whines about PPUs spoiling PvP get thereselves an APU who actually acts as a support char and actually debuffs PPUs. The equipment to take down PPUs is already there in place people just fucking learn how to use it!!! Myself and an allied tank tookdown a holy para using PPU while a couple of others shot up his APU friend. All I did was keep debuffing the PPU and the tank shot him up until I finished him off with an energy beam. It was a little easier than I thought so he cant have been that good :) but the tools are there and if you cant take the time to practice and use the damn things before
you start calling for the removal of an entire class you deserve to get owned by anyone with a PPU stuck up there ass. So take my advice get an APU and a PPU and try and come up with new strageties to take PPUs down, adapt and survive those are the watch words.

Shadow Dancer
27-09-03, 23:57
Ether are you reading what you're saying? You're only further proving that an imbalance exists in neocron.

hose187
28-09-03, 06:50
I don't want to need a monk with me all the time. Actually I need two, an APU and a PPU, since I can't buff or debuff. I'd like to be needed as well.