PDA

View Full Version : Recipes

Owain
26-09-03, 03:23
Do any of you have good cheap recipes for a poor college student to use?

Thx :D

QuantumDelta
26-09-03, 03:26
Ramen? :p

Oh yea, ramen too.

No I don't live on Ramen, I have crackers too.
Yes, and primula....no it doesn't taste like rubber...erm... :p

Where'd you live Owain? there's some good insta-meals that are healthy and tasty in asda they're just microwave jobs that need a little instructionism reading..

Ehm, meh...

Owain
26-09-03, 03:28
I live about 40 min. drive from San Fran.

Hmmm, I already live on instant noodles. :D I'm almost out too...and dammit I haven't had milk in 4 weeks >_<.

Edit:

Kenshin's master (forgot name) > Kenshin :p

Edit2:

My fav. food when I'm not tired is this.

-Put a little butter in a small pot, melt it.
-Put 1/2 cup of white rice in the pot while the heat is on medium and cook till brown.
-Have 1 cup of water ready to pour in the rice when it's done.
-Pour in the water.
-Turn to low and let cook for 20 min.
-When all the water is all gone take the rice off the heat.
-Get an egg and let it sit on the rice till a bit of white forms.
-Put the rice back on the low heat and stir until the egg is throughly cooked.
-Put in however much salt/pepper/etc.. you want.
-Enjoy.

My dinner today. :D

I sometimes put in canned veg. peas + carrots :D

Edit3:

heh, thx vet you reminded me of another fav.

-Get canned chili
-Get frozen fries
-Cook the fries
-Cook the chili
-Mix them together
-Eat Owain's Chili Fries (owain's trademark here:p)

VetteroX
26-09-03, 03:36
english muffen pizzas are what i ate a lot. Get english muffens, but the store brand, not english muffen brand, its litterlay 1/3 the price. By some shredded mozzerela cheese, or cheese of choise, and a jar of tomato sauce.

Split english muffens in 2, spread sauce on eatch side, add cheese, microwave for like 90 seconds. Bang, pizza. 4 is a snakc, 8 is a meal. cost me approx $2 a meal on that... cheese is most expenisvie.

You can add pepperoni etc if you want.

Swanson Hungry Man meals are a lot of food (for a fozen dinner) are good, and cheap. At Walmart, they are like 2.80 for normal size, 3.60 for large.

Chef boyardee is kinda crappy, but its cheap and puts food in your stomach, $1 a can

Canned chillie is pretty decent, cheap, and easy to make.

sanityislost
26-09-03, 04:08
get some chicken and throw it on some bread, prolly add some mayo also

Cass
26-09-03, 04:24
Cheap Beer.

For instance, this 32 ounce Miller Highlife bottle I'm looking at right now, says...

and I quote.....

"Contains no additives or preservatives".

That's health food, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus that, it's made from barley and hops. That's your grains. All you need to do now is have some beef jerkey and some cherry ice cream and you have all 4 food groups!!!

Well it also says "The Champagne Of Beers" which I think they might have taken a little artistic license with, but its cold and wet and gives me a buzz.

G.0.D.
26-09-03, 04:29
Onoz its Nachos!
-Take crackers... Lay out 9 or so on a plate
-Slice up some chedder cheese
-Place thin slices of cheese over the crackers
-Heat in microwave for 30 secounds
-Add Hi's steak ceasoning to crackers

Enjoy!

Clyde
26-09-03, 04:58
Meat stuff (my moms tm:D )

1. Heat up a 3/4ths bag of mixed peppers and onions (or chop some up) with 1 tablespoon of butter (or margrin) for about 5 mins on medium heat, stir occasionally to keep them from frying.

2. In the same pan add 2 cans of corn beef, 2 small cans of tomatoe sauce in a pan on med heat, a packet of that Sazon by gouya (if i spelled it right) and a pinch of sugar (to help equal out the saltyness). stir occasionally

3. In a pot start some Minute rice (cooks in like 5 mins), make 4 cups of rice

4. Dump the meat stuff over the race and bam got you a killer tastin, kinda healty, hearty meal in like 10 mins.

Thatll make like 4 plates, want less just cut the ingredients in half (takes about 3 mines less)

Progenitor
26-09-03, 05:10
Originally posted by Owain
I live about 40 min. drive from San Fran.

Hmmm, I already live on instant noodles. :D I'm almost out too...and dammit I haven't had milk in 4 weeks >_<.

Buy a box of powderd milk - not quite the same but lasts a lot longer - just add water!

-p

Necrosadistic
26-09-03, 05:19
Rice & Rice!

You buy a pack of rice for £1

YOU boil it. YOu eat it.

Rice and Ketchup:

Same as above only add Ketchup

This weeks diet:

Rice & Rice special

Rice + Basil + Olive Oil

Being a student rules! :p

Spoon
26-09-03, 06:23
Shredded Creamed Chicken:
50% boned chicken and 50% cream of chicken soup
I use a 50oz. can of boned and 2 28oz. cans of cream of chicken soup.
Put it in a crockpot and heat it till it's warm/hot....
You can also use lesser amounts and do it on the stove top.
Eat it as a sandwich or over toast.

Spaghetti:
Boil water in a big pot, once it's boiling, throw a pound of pasta in it...
boil it for 10 to 12 minutes, then drain and run luke warm water over it, to stop it from cooking anymore....
you can also add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to the water to prevent it from sticking together, drain....
Sauce can be heated on the stove top or microwave...
You can also make extra amounts of pasta and freeze the leftovers...
Spaghetti is cheap, filling and good for you...

Tuna Fish Sandwiches:
Drain a can of tuna and add a few tablespoons of salad dressing or mayo to it and stir it up, and you got instant sandwiches...
and it's cheap(try to buy the tuna when it's on sale for 2 for a $1)
you can add relish to it to, but, ewwww..

Pork and Beans:
You can usually get cans of this on sale cheap, slice up a cooked hotdog or two, and add it in, to give it some meat(ala Beanie Weenie's tm).

Chicken ala King:
Cans of this are kinda cheap.
Just heat the chicken ala king and pour it over toast.

Spam sandwiches:
Cold or fried, they're ok, but it gets old after a can of it...
btw, generic spam is cheaper and the same as name brand spam.

And remember anything you can make with potatoes or eggs will save you money, as they are fairly cheap(at least they are here in the states)...

And when all else fails, make sure to have a bottle of Tabasco Sauce around to cover up any recipes gone bad(it's damn good on pizza, btw)....

P.S.
I could give you my recipe for Sauerkraut and Keilbasa, but I would probably get flamed to hell by the german mods for adulterating a national treasure...

P.P.S.
I would greatly appreciate it, if some of you brits would PM me a recipe for curry, I would like to try it(a chicken or beef one)...

MayhemMike
26-09-03, 06:37
Easy Mac / Pizza rolls kthx

Shujin
26-09-03, 07:32
cheap tomato soup:
goto mcdonalds / anywhere that has ketchup packets.
get a bunch of em. go home, squirt them all into a cup / bowl. poor a bit of hot water in it, stir it, maybe add a bit of salt / sugar.
tadahh

Originally posted by Spoon

Spaghetti:
Boil water in a big pot, once it's boiling, throw a pound of pasta in it...
boil it for 10 to 12 minutes, then drain and run luke warm water over it, to stop it from cooking anymore....
you can also add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to the water to prevent it from sticking together, drain....
Sauce can be heated on the stove top or microwave...
You can also make extra amounts of pasta and freeze the leftovers...
Spaghetti is cheap, filling and good for you...

1. u cant use a spoon
2. not good for u :P all pasta = hella bad carbs.

good =
fettechini ( cooks same way as spaghetti ) but u can get spinage( cant spell that shit ) noodles isntead of normal pasta noodles and they taste exactly the same.

way to cook pettechini alfredo / spaghetti:
boil some water, add bout half stick of butter to water( not good for u either ;D) add bout tbsp or 2 of veg oil( no olive oil, olive oil add's a taste that doesnt go well with it ) reason for butter and oil in water b4 u boil noodles = if u dont the noodles are highly likley to stick together and helps it from stickin to bottom of pan and burning.

break the noodles in half and throw em in water, watch it for a while or go watch tv or somethin and check up on it every cpl minutes. take a noodle out and see if its done, or if u dun wanna taste it throw it against wall ;D and if it sticks its done, if it dont stick then its not done ( unproven but i heard this works actaully o.0 ).

for fettechini, u should use alfredo sause, but if thats more expensive just use speghetti sause, so it'd b fettechini w/ speghetti sause ;]

if u wanna go a bit more add some precooked bits of chicken u can buy ( meant to go in salads ) jus throw that into the alfredo sause ( and make sure u cook the alfredo sause w/ the chicken in it )

Owain
26-09-03, 19:41
Chicken Fettechini Alfredo(sp?) is my fav. food. But it costs too much >_<.

Oath
26-09-03, 19:45
ONOZ o_O o_O 8|

STUUDEEENNNNT LIVINGGGG !!!1111one

rofl

beans, no-matter where you live, no matter what the time beans are t3h bomb for stoodents...........beans and rocket fuel (caffiene n gurana coffee made by percol) tis the shit, and, failing all else will give you the shits.

btw

Dont mix em together, thats just suicide..........trust me onoz

JiNxY
26-09-03, 19:46
TUNA PASTA BAKE!!

thats all you need, i ate that for 3 years.

cheap, easy, and nice.

Oath
26-09-03, 19:51
Originally posted by JiNxY
TUNA PASTA BAKE!!

thats all you need, i ate that for 3 years.

cheap, easy, and nice.

oh dear.........last time i ate tuna i had scittzorz for 2 weeks, me no like it...........gimme real meat anyday STEAK STEAK STEAK STEAK!!!

Oh, Like QD said asda are really wuite good with some of their 'budget' ranges plus they do cheap ass stake's but.......they're not the best teasting nor the juciest.

Pasta and bolognaise sauce is a cheap and cheerful meal.......

Cant spell well can i :rolleyes:

JiNxY
26-09-03, 19:58
netto all the way baby

its scandanavian for value :p

Ixholla
26-09-03, 20:04
Begal Pizzas are good and easy...

English Muffin Pizzas are good too..

If you can afford it invest in a small rice cooker that
will help.

I like heating up various soups and pouring them
over rice or noodles. The good thing about that
is you can choose different soups to use and so
you're not eating the same thing day in and day
out.

Xin
26-09-03, 20:36
Baked Ziti

MmmMmmm Good.
Recipe's on the Ziti box, but basically you cook the pasta, put it in a dish with 1 package of ricotta cheese, 3/4 package of mozzarella and 1 jar of spaghetti sauce and bake it til brown . Take it out, throw the rest of mozzarella on top, let it melt.

If it's for a girl, sprinkle a little chopped parsely on top. If it's for you and friends, throw a lot of pot on top.

This is a little expensive compared to grilled cheese, but it freezes well so it lasts a long time. And if you get puking drunk after eating it, pasta isn't that bad the second time around, compared to say, tuna bake.
:)

---
I ate a helluva lot of tortilla chips, with a salsa and queso mix to dip it in.
---
Peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Neither has to be refrigerated, and bananas are vaguely healthy, so this counts as a healthy meal.
---

RuriHoshino
26-09-03, 20:49
My mother made this for us whenever we went on long trips as an on the go lunch:

chopped turkey or chicken
mayo
sweet pickle relish

mix to taste and spread it on bread slices....:D Tasty sandwich!

G.0.D.
26-09-03, 21:49
just made a plate of onoz its nachos... sujest every1 trys em!

Cryotchekk
26-09-03, 21:55
u can make ur self look rich by melting loads of cheese with lots of herbs etc in a big pot then keeping it melted in a hot pot at the table and like eat it with like crackers and stuff.

or if u have a garden just dumb loads of organic stuff down there till it decays and then mushrooms grow. try not to pick out the poisonous ones and u can sell the magick ones.

Stigmata
26-09-03, 22:04
not quite a student recipe but here goes

ingredients

one bagel
one packet of cream cheese
small salmon fillet
clump of basil

chop bagel in half spread cream cheese on bagel smoke the salmon place salmon on bagel add basil as garnish.

not to expensive, tastes very nice and even has that upper class thing going on :)

Andy

Spoon
26-09-03, 22:16
I'm surprised noone has mentioned Fish sticks and chicken nuggets.....

Oh, wait, I just remembered what are friends in the UK think of our fish sticks and processed cheese....my bad....:o

Richard Slade
26-09-03, 22:47
Disturbing, no one mentioned pancakes.
I live on 'em :)
Cheap as hell, flour, milk and eggs
Doesn't get any better than that
And tastes damn good
Add potatoe to it and u got something that tastes like health food

joran420
26-09-03, 22:52
Sonic Burrito

buy a cheap burrito at local taco stand