PDA

View Full Version : Is it Technically Possible to merge Pluto with Saturn?

Clothing_Option
26-09-03, 00:06
Question
Is it Technically Possible to merge Pluto with Saturn?
ANy High lvl programmers out there if so waddaya think

Mumblyfish
26-09-03, 00:09
No. Technically possible, perhaps. If a miracle happened. It'd probably result in characters getting overwrote, depending on how KK has coded things like character IDs, and the database.

Would it ruin the game? Yes on all counts.

Clyde
26-09-03, 00:19
why not give the ability for the chars with the same name to change them o_O. Like lets say theres 2 dudes named Jack on the 2 servers, just make them both have to change theyre name. if it comes down to slot issues, just be like the 4th slot onsaturn will be fore your pluto char. either way it goes, that shouldnt be 3 fuckin english servers anyways, shoulda been 1 or 2 from the start. :rolleyes:

KimmyG
26-09-03, 00:21
Possible im sure yet KK patchs the server= bug central
KK merges servers=LOSS

I think it could be possible but I dont wanna see it happen besides lots of people have full slots on saturn and high chars on pluto so I dont see what could be done there unless saturn was made into a 6 char server.

Shadow Dancer
26-09-03, 00:22
THey could make it a 5 char server.

I would love a merge if it was possible. Perhaps an "op wipe" as well.

Heavyporker
26-09-03, 00:29
Good lord, I would hope not, even if such a thing was feasible, not possible, FEASIBLE.

The strain on the servers would be interesting... Inventory issues, for one, but also think about what Plaza 1 would be like with 100-200 idling around (because almost no-one has the imagination to tradeskill or meet elsewhere). Stronger databases or faster servers isn't exactly what I'm talking about - its the bandwidth issues - 100-200 ppl in one zone means 100 person-data to be sent TO EACH PLAYER IN THE ZONE.

I would not like multi-char servers merged with a single-char server for playing reasons. (RP issues aside, what about the player-player issues? Alt-logging is an issue, along with multi-faction/clan players that don't hold separation of characters very strongly)

Now, a multi-char server merged with another multi-char, THAT would go alright, I suspect, because much of the same habits would continue (alt-logging and 1 man clans, and such), so things wouldn't be ruined.

Why not just merge Uranus and Saturn? Strong english-speaking presences on both and so on.

Clyde
26-09-03, 00:33
Like i said, there shoulda only been 1 or 2 servers the most, 3 servers is bs because look at pluto in the late night, what only 50 peepz on. and that 4th server, neptune, heh its just a KK pipedream

8ball(saturn)
26-09-03, 01:20
yes it could. it wouldnt ruin game per se.

and about chars with same name... do it on first come first serve basis.... which ever person gets to the name first obviously gets it and the other would have to enter a new name when they click on their char.

its not impossible it CAN be done...

i think they should do it

and about only having one char and such... do a poll on whether or not its a one char or multi char server..

and if worse comes to worse, completely rerolling game server info wouldnt be that bad either and would be kinda interesting.

Clothing_Option
26-09-03, 01:26
Originally posted by KimmyG
Possible im sure yet KK patchs the server= bug central
KK merges servers=LOSS

I think it could be possible but I dont wanna see it happen besides lots of people have full slots on saturn and high chars on pluto so I dont see what could be done there unless saturn was made into a 6 char server.

6 char server!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THATS THE SOLUTION PPLE
how long would it take to do it
I mean what would it really take

Arent these Chars all just in database tables
cant they just expand?

mdares
26-09-03, 01:29
u mean 5 slot server... if u look at saturn/uranus they have just enough space on the char select screen to put in another char slot... so 5 slot server =)

cracky
26-09-03, 01:36
Everybody always thinks the servers can't handle more people because of how laggy they get however that lag is there wether 300 or 60 people are on.

Early retail had at least double the populations now and beta had even more then that and if the servers could handle it then I don't see how they could of degraded so much to not now.

Distaria
26-09-03, 12:22
It would require a miracle. You've got issues with names, apartments, clans, OPs.

It would be a logistical nightmare to have to contact everyone with "Pick which characters you want to keep, oh, and Joe Blow took NameA first, so you have to change yours."

Sure, if KK had the funding of Sony. But with 3 programers and mostly volunteers otherwise, it's not going to happen.

EDIT: Not to mention with a whole 2 people that could probably be spared to sort things out, they'd be buried in an avalanche of work, and mistakes would get made, people would start bitching, which makes even more work, etc. It's NOT as easy as people seem to think it is.

athon
26-09-03, 12:45
If you lot one of the servers to die so much, why don't you all just agree on one server to use and use only that server. If there's barely anyone using one of the servers then KK would be forced to close it down.

True you would lose your levelling done to date, but that's the rpice you pay if you want to be on a server with higher populations.

Athon Solo

Divide
26-09-03, 12:47
It would be possible, but would require some large amount of work from the kk staff, and since they are currently working on many other things at the moment, this thought will probably never even be entertained. However, it would definately add to the excitement of Saturn, and would-- DESPITE what everyone thinks help to solve the lag problems on the rest of the servers, seeing as how Pluto's server resources could be re-distributed amongst the other servers, effectively lowering lag, random synchouts, and database errors. These servers, from everything that I have heard/read are clustered so that different zones are on different physical machines, with a master database server for each individual planet.
Effectively, you could split these segments up so that ALL servers would benefit from the power of more machines to bear the load of individual zones (Eg: 1 server, instead of hosting 10 zones, which, Im sure is not how many zones one would actually host, could now host 8 or so, again a random number, effectively reducing each machines load so the huge zone-based lag that people see at opwars/events/etc would be more easily controlled), and Saturn would get the extra database that it needs for the sudden influx of characters, weapons, money, etc etc.

Again, while I do agree that this merge of servers would be an excelent idea, and ultimately a smart move for KK, I believe that it is just too much work for the skeleton crew that I am sure they work with to be able to design and implement. Such an act would require both servers to go down for up to a week (and that is a lowball figure) for everything to be converted, and the network load to be reconfigured.

icarium
26-09-03, 13:07
i started playing on pluto because of all the arseholes on saturn, so for me this would be a very bad move. also i think technically it presents far more problems than it solves

Huijari
26-09-03, 13:09
Merge ONLY good server to a mulelandia? No thanks, I would bow to KK and sing out with all of my accounts.

Beside, Pluto brings more cash in than saturn, thanks to multi accounts people keep there to have 2 chars :P

J. Folsom
26-09-03, 13:14
Originally posted by Clyde
why not give the ability for the chars with the same name to change them o_O.
Character ID isn't the same as a character's name. It's just a
unique identification number the server has for your character.

In general however, I think merging servers is too much work
while it most likely would only end up causing more harm then
good.

*Edit*

Well, actually it would be possible to merge the two servers; even
without causing too many database problems. The thing is,
however, that you'd end up with people with silly names
(Assuming you use the "Add a bit to their name" solution), as well
as that people would probably be unhappy that they're forced on
a multi-slot server; or the other way around, that they're forced
to play with the people who prefer not having multiple characters.

Mingerroo
26-09-03, 13:22
I'm sorry but bollocks. Theres no way I would play on a multi-char server. I play Pluto because I want to play a single character server. Saturn sucks with all of it's "I'm logging my bigger char" or "hold on while i log my constructor on". 5 slots would not only make this worse, it will cripple a lot of Pluto players who WANT a one character server.

Just leave it as it is, if it bothers you that much you can join another server. It's possible to do technically but not cost-effectively, the loss of players and trust would not be worth it.

Lucjan
26-09-03, 13:24
The answer is quite simple, the is a rule since some years for all IT problems: nothing is impossible, it just a question of time and thatfor usually money. Merging two databases (that is basically what it comes down to) isn't that of a big problem, but requires some preparation.
But why would someone want to merge Pluto with Saturn?
I can understand the idea of merging Saturn and Uranus, but a 1 char server with a 4 char server?

Besides, as already mentioned, from KK's point of view I would assume Pluto is going fine - mutliple accounts bring some nice cash in for sure.

REMUS
26-09-03, 13:40
can we have an auto close for topics like this please?

its been discussed many times, if kk could/intend to merge servers they would of done it by now.

NeoLojik
26-09-03, 13:54
Its technically possible, stiching the 2 databases together would require a crapload of time and effort (talking from experience).

However, if they merged Saturn with Pluto, they would loose me paying for 4 accounts because I wouldnt play NC anymore. Saturn is NOT my type of community, im not allowed to flame so I'll shut up.

alig
26-09-03, 14:02
They should merge uranus and pluto, saturn is big enough as it is.........:rolleyes:

-FN-
26-09-03, 15:40
Originally posted by alig
They should merge uranus and pluto, saturn is big enough as it is.........:rolleyes:

It was nice seeing the extra people on Pluto tonight cuz Uranus was down....

doubt it's possible, but make the Uranus people pick a char and ship 'em to Pluto! :D

Devils Grace
26-09-03, 19:39
wtf u call saturn a mule server but u pay more then one acount ????? doesnt that mean u have more then one char???????? THE ONLY DIFERENCE IS THAT I DO IT FOR FREE D....S

the only smart tought about this thread i saw here is from someone that said that he dont like saturn comunity (tho most players in saturn are from pluto) but still its a smart response

once as some may remenber ive made a thread with a pool asking ppl what do they think about this same merge.
their reply was a NO.... fine, im not the one complaining about very low population... i know some of u will say that u dont either, yes but most of u pluto players do.

Saying that u cant have as much money on saturn then on pluto kuz we got more then one char......i wont tell how much money i got in each of my char or u will bow to kk and sing and cancell ur acounts.

the worste thing i saw was one guy saying that he likes the low population kuz i likes to hunt alone and walk the oz without seeing anyone.......wait i think they got a name for that ........hmm what was it....errrr............ahhh yes..............SINGLEPLAYER.... LOL

u all want solutions but u all dont want the solution in front of u, untill (i guess ) one day the message is "pluto server closed for lack of funds" or maybe not dunno.....

acuse me of flamming bann me for 3 days if u like.....this is my 2 cents

msdong
26-09-03, 20:40
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Why not just merge Uranus and Saturn? Strong english-speaking presences on both and so on.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dont ruin our nice server.
i HOPE with the rerelease of neocron the Playercount not only raise slowly but doubles (@least) real fast.

@ topic.
i think its possible but the problem is that pluto is onchar and saturn is 4 char. you will pissoff alot of ppl if u change the charcount bechaus THEY LIKE to play one char.

der Ed
26-09-03, 21:03
Yes.

Although handling chars/ clans with the same name and having more chars on one account then allowed after the merge will be a problem that can't be solved technically.

Depending on the DB KK uses, merging can be a real PITA. :)

hnlecter
26-09-03, 22:17
No, saturn has a WAY over infalted economy. I mean how rare are mc5 chips at a mil a part? Rares are just common things and people practacly sell them to yo's. Pluto and saturn are completely different servers.

Shadow Dancer
26-09-03, 22:19
Originally posted by hnlecter
No, saturn has a WAY over infalted economy. I mean how rare are mc5 chips at a mil a part? Rares are just common things and people practacly sell them to yo's. Pluto and saturn are completely different servers.

wtf

Saturn sells mc5 chips at 1 mil a part?

IS THIS TRUE???????????????

J. Folsom
27-09-03, 12:02
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
wtf

Nope, it's far more expensive. I've never even seen one for sale,
but I think the prices will be at least a bunch of good rares for
one part. >.>

Mankind
27-09-03, 12:17
2 MC5 chips go for 1 Kami chip :)

How's that for an economy?

Itth
27-09-03, 12:20
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
wtf

u could probably sell a ds part for many millions...

money aint worth shit on saturn.. sad enough

Heavyporker
27-09-03, 14:19
msdong - double, nothing, I want triple or quadruple, AT LEAST. Hell, I want to walk on people's heads in plaza 1, it's so crammed with ppl.