PDA

View Full Version : Neocron in PC ZONE

Radamez
25-09-03, 13:40
Just having got the november issue of pc zone,

I rifled through it looking for anything eye catching when i discovered the "on-line" section where upcoming MMORPG's/expansions were featured..

Including everquest,anarchy on-line .. unfortunately not DoY - yet another missed chance at publicity i thought to myself but on the next page i was shocked to see a 2-page guide on getting started in NC, which only covered the basics - but I thought was great as the initial learning curve can be a bit daunting and is not doubt a cause of lost customers - especially MC5..

I thought "that's great, NC finally getting some much needed publicity" but then - counteracting that on the next page, is a "day in the life" expose, which.. frankly is less that complimentary about the game as a whole really, showing how tedious and content/population lacking it is .. well, that's brilliant i thought, with this kind of publicity KK is really gonna turn things around. :(

I recently quit myself, my account expires pretty soon .. but it was due to personal reasons rather than any fault with the game, i personally think NC is the best MMORPG right now, also the most unique..

but it's a shame to see it being frowned upon by reviewers - who have made no attempt at giving the game a chance, and forwarding that impression onto the public :(

what do you think?

Jesterthegreat
25-09-03, 13:50
i think someone should shoot CDV, and pay KK loads of money... see all the problems go away? ^.^

i wonder if KK do the lottery? win a few mill and invest in a new producer and STAFF to debug!

Nooq
25-09-03, 13:54
I personally would like to see the rewiever hanged from the neck untill he is dead, dead, dead.

for you serious minded folks... im just kidding :)

]v[ortice
25-09-03, 14:05
Just got the November issue and not read the aforementioned yet, but i had considered posting something in relation to PCZONE before.

Regardless of what anyone says, PCZONE is the most respected PC games mag there is, by publishers, developers and gamers alike. They do have loyalties in my opinion but do give the fairest reviews i've read in the industry.

Which brings me to my point, why don't KK get a rep from PCZONE to come see their work in progress and get them to do a preview of DOY?

This game needs more publicity be it bad or good and PCZONE might just be the mag to give it.

On a personal note, being a Beta 4 player, I read the initial Preview and Review by Richie Shoemaker (then online editor) and tbh he had not played the game once... It was the biggest bag of wank i ever read. But if CDV had of advertised it right he may have bothered to play more than the offline demo (which was clearly all he'd done).

If anyone keeps their Back copies dig it out and Laugh (I don;t btw).

Neocron was 3rd in their MMORPG guide last month. Its now fallen out fo the list as per this issue. Will DOY change that?

Advertisement needs to be addressed first tho.

SWG sold 300,000 copies in USA... we get 300 guys on a server at weekends ffs.

Jesterthegreat
25-09-03, 14:12
aye... i got my beta 4 demo (i THINK) from PC Zone...

and yeah PC Zone is the only mag i would believe the reviews in... however i assume they started new chars (as in... lived in MC5? O_o) so i understand a shit review

NC Junkie

El_MUERkO
25-09-03, 14:16
What they said /\

Neocron is dieing a slow depressing death and its nothing to do with the game. Right now if you got 2000 people on pluto at peak times this game would be considered the best MMORPG going. Instead we have 200 people on at peak times and its just not fun. Whole areas of NC are deserted, I remember running thru industrial was a dangerous thing to do with bands of hunters and pkers roaming the area, now I could probably go AFK for 24 hours and come back to find a layer of dust on my runner.

I know KK are looking for a new publisher but they'd better find one soon and do a big publicity relaunch with decent advertising, free trials on on cover disks and a fixed in stone DOY release date shortly after to keep people interested.

I'd also suggest hiring some noob helpers to hang around MC5 and help the new players that come in. One month of noob helping with no complaints againist them would earn them an MC5 chip maybe?

Darkborg
25-09-03, 14:21
Unfair rant
noob helper in MC5 thats easy.
"thats a grep right click it and choose your appartment."
/unfair rant

Actually mc5 just got a lot better with this patch, signs and better placement of the advisors check it out hehe.

Jesterthegreat
25-09-03, 14:22
Originally posted by Darkborg
Unfair rant
noob helper in MC5 thats easy.
"thats a grep right click it and choose your appartment."
/unfair rant

Actually mc5 just got a lot better with this patch, signs and better placement of the advisors check it out hehe.

too late for a review read my hundreds of thousands...

GurTjaN
25-09-03, 14:32
oh man i was planning on sending them a mail to do a review bout neocron cuz the pczone staff did a while ago and it got and 8.2 so i thought that was a long time ago and its soo much better now but u cant be serious that htey gave it a bad review ? :mad:

im going to send a mail that i dont agree neocron is still uber without DoY check MMORPG.com last week it was on #1 and now on number #5 can figure out these guys neocron Owns other MMORPG's like Rubies of Eventide i thought the pczone staff were good reviewers but i definetely DONT agree with this and im going to send them a mail telling them how i feel bout it and it wont be a nice one

:mad:

//GurT

Rubies of eventide ? Realm online ? Anarchy Online ?
OMFG not even close how than how uber Neocron is...
had the world gone MAD ???

Jesterthegreat
25-09-03, 14:35
out of those 3 i have played AO only... and NC is infinatly better O_o

but you must remember we play as high level chars... you wanna send a PC Zone dude your details and let him play as a fully capped pistol PE for a while... see if he finds that better lol

i know he would see the REAL game then, not the leveling treadmill / buggy MC5

X Kitty X
25-09-03, 14:38
I posted about this nearly a week ago. The whole 'day in the life' feature is supposed to be a joke, it's in every issue in the same style. it pokes fun at MMORPGs and just generally takes the piss. It does hint at MC5 issues etc... but its not going to put anyone off the game.

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76046

]v[ortice
25-09-03, 14:38
I meant to add... i'll post back when i've read the articles.

Me and Jester have spoken about this subject before now on this very forum!

Would anyone like to start a community petition to get the game looked at properly by PCZONE? IE... KK to invite them round for a cuppa and a sneak preview? I'll write to PCZONE myself if you guys so wish.

That banner competition was real nice from a community point of view getting the customer's involved in advertising... but ask yourself when was the last time you bought something on the prompting of a banner? If you did your the first i ever heard of. BTW no disrespect intended on the worthy winners cos their entrances were excellent.

garyu69
25-09-03, 14:39
From the UK, CDV may to be partly to blame for the poor numbers playing. CDV themselves are about to close :(

GurTjaN
25-09-03, 14:40
@jester idd i agree it could be a little suckie at the start but its get soo frikkin addictive and good l8er ill let them play with my account if they want if that convinces them than ill do that for the kk staff

i got 2 account anywayz so

Radamez
25-09-03, 14:41
it wasn't so much a review as it was an entertaining feature.. at KK's expense :rolleyes:

Jesterthegreat
25-09-03, 14:47
Originally posted by GurTjaN
@jester idd i agree it could be a little suckie at the start but its get soo frikkin addictive and good l8er ill let them play with my account if they want if that convinces them than ill do that for the kk staff

i got 2 account anywayz so

no shit... before i sold my 2nd account back to the previous owner (after lomming the chars to HELL and rerolling 2 of his chars, to PA wearin Monk + sniper [5 slot commando])

i was runnin 8 chars

no longer have:
Inject13 (fully capped hc tank)
13 (near capped melee tank[black PA now... sweet])
Monkey Boy (PPU)
some other char.. .the sniper

i still have:
NC Junkie (253 research skill with lab + booster)
a pistol spy (name classified - ROLH usin ** rank)
Tanky McTank (would be * easy with imps / armour - retired)
and a noob psi monk... another PPU

i played since beta 4 and not stopped once (except for a 2 week holiday O_o damn family holidays ruining my gaming)

]v[ortice
25-09-03, 14:48
Sorry to hear CDV's gone tits up............ Not!

Anyone want to take the PCZONE issue i mentioned above forward then?

Nixon
25-09-03, 14:53
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
I remember running thru industrial was a dangerous thing to do with bands of hunters and pkers roaming the area, now I could probably go AFK for 24 hours and come back to find a layer of dust on my runner.

Hmh .. yeah been thinking bout this.. but on pluto, for example,
atleast 95% of the chars are so highlevel that they got nothing
to do in oz or industrial areas, and people dont reroll that often.

Also if there were noobs coming to nc, there still wouldn't be
such use for ind and oz like before when everyone was low..

KK should add some ceres mobs or anything to oz to make
it interesting for capped players again.. now it's just filled
with mutants, hurlers and little critters.. some storages with
launcher cyclops but people go to mb nowadays for those..

Al3X
25-09-03, 15:01
pczone staff is KoS....
i pay 1 mil for their dogtag

@gurt lets go to their hq, and pwn all those low int n00b!3 redactors that walk out

doh.. rl..i forgot :rolleyes:

but seriously: i hate in when ppl give their opinion when they dont even know the complete game, saying that the community's sux EVEN THOUGH neocron has one of the best community (every community whines, dont forget that ;))... i played a game before nc where every noob got insulted, bullied, and killed till he quited the game.... so in compare to that game neocron even has an angelic community :p

-alex

SilentGravity
25-09-03, 17:10
Originally posted by ]v[ortice
Sorry to hear CDV's gone tits up............ Not!

Anyone want to take the PCZONE issue i mentioned above forward then?

CDV is FAR from going "Tits up" they are infact one of the publishers that iv found to give ALOT of lame looking/sounding/playing games for example Heaven and Hell is a HORRIBLE game yet they publisher it, but they also have alot of high selling games for example.

Sudden Strike 2, Divine Divinity, Divine Divinity 2, Crossacks, Crossacks 2.

So they seem to give alot of very poor looking games a chance which is far from ALOT of other publishers.

Breschau
25-09-03, 19:05
Fwiw, the PC Zone piece was in a one-page sorta regular section called 'Steve Hill's NeverQuest'. It's featured a few other mmorpgs so far - and *none* of them have been portrayed favourably. Neocron got off pretty lightly, tbh ;)

ie, it's an entertainment piece rather than a serious review - they actually like Neocron at PC Zone; the serious review gave NC 80something percent and it was 3rd in their top 5 mmorpgs. There's also a 'Getting started in Neocron' feature in the same issue, so it's all much needed publicity (the screenshot shows way more people in via2 than I've ever seen there :p).

edit: just realised I'm repeating what others have already said.. honestly don't know how I didn't realise since I *did* read the whole thread. I'll chalk it up to working too hard :rolleyes: