PDA

View Full Version : Fix the fatals already, pls?

Lexxuk
24-09-03, 03:19
Ok, fatals now are getting beyond a joke, not one every other day, heck, not one every day, its more like 2 an hour (if I'm lucky). I can be standing still and "fatal" I can be moving, and "fatal" i can be zoning, and "fatal", i can be logging out, and "fatal". I'm used to the intensive bug session called Neocron, but this is really beginning to piss me off.

Trying to go somewhere, and fatalin, totally blows. I've started a new char on Pluto with a 2nd account, the amount of times I've crashed with a fatal, beggar's belief. If I were a new player not used to the amount of bugs that neocron has, I'd have taken the game back to the shop and got a refund.

Callstack.log...

//=====================================================
Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION
Fault address: 77F83AED 01:00032AED C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll

Registers:
EAX:929262CE
EBX:00AC0000
ECX:A8D47E70
EDX:05290068
ESI:0528F000
EDI:05290068
CS:EIP:001B:77F83AED
SS:ESP:0023:0012F05C EBP:0012F068
DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
Flags:00010283

Fault address: 77F83AED 01:00032AED C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll

Registers:
EAX:3F2AAA3B
EBX:00AC0000
ECX:3F7C37C5
EDX:05464958
ESI:05464150
EDI:05464958
CS:EIP:001B:77F83AED
SS:ESP:0023:0012EE44 EBP:0012EE50
DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003B GS:0000
Flags:00010283

Fault address: 77F839DB 01:000329DB D:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll

Registers:
EAX:00120102
EBX:00AB0000
ECX:00000102
EDX:046829F0
ESI:046829F0
EDI:046829F0
CS:EIP:001B:77F839DB
SS:ESP:0023:0012F18C EBP:0012F198
DS:0023 ES:002

And thats from TWO different systems (well, same box, different XP setups). The fact its two different systems, would kind of remove the impression that its a faulty dll on my side.

ty - now fix the bloody fatals :mad:

DarkPhoenix
24-09-03, 03:21
Yes please make the fatals a priority (after DOY of course tho :p )

Though I havent has as many of them as I used to, they are still very annoying.

Ryuben
24-09-03, 03:24
i was going to post mine but i got

Callstack1
Callstack2
Callstack3
Callstack4

:confused:

all blank

Lexxuk
24-09-03, 03:26
Originally posted by DarkPhoenix
Yes please make the fatals a priority (after DOY of course tho :p )

BEFORE DoY. If they want to attract new customers, a new publisher and DoY might be the way, if they want to attract new customers who then say "this games a pile of shit, I cant do sod all without crashing" who then air their views to their friends, so DoY ends up like the NC Release (a complete fuckup), then having the constant fatals is a way to go about it. And, with DoY itself putting more of a strain on peoples systems, crashes will probably be more frequent, esp the old ones that have not been fixed since Beta 4 (yes, over a year, wonderful bugs that have never been fixed)

/edit @ above - I crashed logging out (typical really) so my 1 had the above. 2-4 seems to be blank all the time, maybe its a bug :rolleyes:

Thundra
24-09-03, 03:27
i used to fatal bout 50 times a day but its a lot better now but it still happerns. hope they sove it soon as its pretty anoyin

QuantumDelta
24-09-03, 03:29
Heh, that's one of the bugs that's caused by windows to the tekktonic engine i think....not the other way around...i'm told this is fixed in the next version of windows...

Anyways.
Callstack whipe themselves clean after a successful completion of a program run.
If you ever run/quit 'cron without crashing once it'll be clean.
err..should be anyways....

Mr Friendly
24-09-03, 03:34
yeah seriously

i defragment my pc every single night, along with 500ddr ram & an MSI mobo, my machine is always stable on every game i play. EXCEPT neocron, crashing always at least 5 times a day. FIX IT PLZ!!

Lexxuk
24-09-03, 03:35
A bug thats caused by the Windows engine to the Tekktonic engine? Well, its based on the Genesis engine, which, afaik, is open source, therefore, the Genesis engine would have been fixed by the open source community to stop this error from happening (you have to love open source). There is also the fact, the crashing is happening a lot more now (this patch) than previously happening. You also have to take into account its hitting an NT based DLL and windows Me/98 wouldnt really have NT based DLL's. Sounds to me like programmer laziness and the "lets blame windows" syndrome.

And whilst we are on the subject of things to be fixed, fix the manual supplied with the game, my copy, recieved yesterday, contains the same manual as a year ago, so, whats this exotic PSI malarky then?

/edit @ above - I just analysed my HDD after a total defrag yesterday, most of the fragments are from c:\program files\neocron :rolleyes:

QuantumDelta
24-09-03, 03:38
You're right about the open source.
I was told from someone I feel is a reliable source though that a few of the Fatals just can't be fixed by KK because they're windows problems.
The other errors, they're fixing as time goes on;
As you've noticed though, every function = new bug :(
It's sad but it happens in most systems, especially MMOs with small dev teams....well....KK has a dev team of two...three?

anyways....I'm worried about next patch but I was told CoDi was trying to work on bugs before it was released so hey :p

Lexxuk
24-09-03, 03:44
just run a search on google for :

you will find a lot.

Add in the ntdll.dll, and you will find a few. Including one from MS themselves about MS Office and a Network, it was a known bug in MS Office related to C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION, which would have been fixed, and fixed in all other commercial software that the error was found in. Commercial software *cannot* afford to be seen as buggy, the competition is to great. Unless you have a virtual monopoly (microsoft), you have to make the product as bug proof and as stable as you possibly can, otherwise, you lose market share/money, which leaves you less capital to invest in the next version of the software, which in turn leaves that one more prone to bugs, which starts to give your company a bad reputation, and people I have talked to on Pluto, have told me how their friends play the game, and think its a pile of shit, and getting frustrated at bugs, wont make them think its the best thing ever.

KidWithStick
24-09-03, 04:06
noooooooooo according to KK its only you...and me...and the other 600 people that play a day... not them though....nope.

"download the newest sound drivers"

that always makes me laugh

Mantus
24-09-03, 04:30
NC is not the most stable game in the world but it runs pretty well. Play with your graphic settings a bit and i am sure you will get stability.

KidWithStick
24-09-03, 04:54
Originally posted by Mantus
NC is not the most stable game in the world but it runs pretty well. Play with your graphic settings a bit and i am sure you will get stability.

....nah i dont think so.

mystery8
24-09-03, 06:28
Oh yes, its our computers and Window's fault. And that tons and tons of other games work without crashing and fatal errors, that must surely be a fluke! :rolleyes:
I don't expect a 100% perfect game, but its been over a year now since the German release went retail and these bugs are still rampant.

Spoon
24-09-03, 07:02
I've gotten one FRE in the last month, and I got a crap PC(733mhz, 66mhz fsb, 512mbsdram, 32mb PCI gfx card).

A few patches ago, I started getting multiple FRE's per day, started messing around with the gfx settings, turned Force fog on and reduced fog distance, and it fixed it.
Was it KK's fault, I had my gfx settings too high for my system?
I don't think so....
I don't run anything in the background while playing.
And I have seen alot of people here on the forums posting desktop screenies that have 8 to 10 things running in the System Tray, I often wonder if they bother to reboot their PC and turn off any of the programs before playing.

Maybe people should try and figure out what is causing the problems themselves, before blaming KK.
Through the process of elimination..
Try turning off background programs....
adjust gfx and sound settings....
try differant drivers, even older ones.....
even uninstalling programs that may be causing conflicts...
try a differant operating system....

Is it me, or am I starting to sound like Helen?....:wtf:....8|

Mantus
24-09-03, 07:09
People have to realize that no two computers are the same. Yes there are stable game out there, i have seen a _few_ but they were all 2D. I am sure that KK could do something to fix stability problems for some people, but for others the only remedy is trying differnt settings and options.

SilentGravity
24-09-03, 07:12
Originally posted by Spoon
I've gotten one FRE in the last month, and I got a crap PC(733mhz, 66mhz fsb, 512mbsdram, 32mb PCI gfx card).

A few patches ago, I started getting multiple FRE's per day, started messing around with the gfx settings, turned Force fog on and reduced fog distance, and it fixed it.
Was it KK's fault, I had my gfx settings too high for my system?
I don't think so....
I don't run anything in the background while playing.
And I have seen alot of people here on the forums posting desktop screenies that have 8 to 10 things running in the System Tray, I often wonder if they bother to reboot their PC and turn off any of the programs before playing.

Maybe people should try and figure out what is causing the problems themselves, before blaming KK.
Through the process of elimination..
Try turning off background programs....
adjust gfx and sound settings....
try differant drivers, even older ones.....
even uninstalling programs that may be causing conflicts...
try a differant operating system....

Is it me, or am I starting to sound like Helen?....:wtf:....8|

Also please try the following if that does not work.

Having a sex change
Moving to another country
Having alot of sex with a dead animal of your choice in a pot of boiling water
Sacrificing a virgin
Wear I "I *PLANE PICTURE* NYC" shirt near "Ground Zero"
Have more sex with dead animals
Eat human flesh

If that does not work please read and follow every bit of instruction in the Cannibalism for Dummies and enjoy your FRE free Neocron.

AlphaGremlin
24-09-03, 07:23
Originally posted by Spoon

8 - 10 things in their tray?? Man, my computer boots with that amount of icons.
Let me see if I can remember them all...
[list=1] BorgCHAT
MSN Messenger
Network Status
Sound Properties
Daemon Tools
WinRoute Status Monitor
Girder
Dial-up Status (When in use)
GetRight
Eject Hardware
[/list=1]

And there's always ZPlayer, Winamp, and a couple of others.

I have never had to close any of these programs to play games (1gb of RAM, ohhh yeahhh) and I only get 1 or 2 Fatal's a night, when I play (which isn't often lately)

Frankly, blaming Windows for a problem in the game is a bit of a cop-out. How many games are there, and how many have these problems? Is it that nessecary to risk having these problems?

And as for a _few_ stable 2D games... one only has to look at StarCraft. I have NEVER had that game crash, except for when my CD got scratched and it had resource problems :)
WarCraft 3 has also only ever crashed once, and that was because of a corrupt map file. If Blizzard can do it, it must be possible to have a near-100% stable game.

Spoon
24-09-03, 07:24
oi...
I just read this guys thread (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76484), sounds like he has already tried everything.....
Maybe I should tell him to call in a Catholic priest for an exorcism?....:eek:

Sorontar
24-09-03, 10:30
I used to get fatals all the time after a patch ( 181 I think ) , and tried most things. I don't get them now .........

I run ME and have an AMD 1000 and have not updated ME since recovering the system. I don't run any other programs in the background either ( ICQ etc. )

Basically my PC has Neocron on it and nothing else. NC is just anti-social and has a strop if you don't give it your full attention.:D

Maarten
24-09-03, 12:56
Those Fatals are only a warning to the people who play to much...

Fatal Error!
translation:
Get a life!

:p

No, seriously. I have no idea what causes those fatals. And that is the biggest problem for KK too. When a bug cannot be reproduced at will but is totally random, it is VERY hard to find, let alone fix it. I have 5 FRE's a week, max. My friend had 27 fatals on one day last week. I think their dev team is too small to be bug hunting 24/7 with absolutely no clues that tell them where to look.

zewy
24-09-03, 13:40
There is a lot of weard bugs in neocron. Mostly from zoning ppl get diffrent names and models even if you dm someone get synk and warp over to a appart in mb from plaza1. I have never seen a game with so mutch weard bugs as neocron have. I can't call that this game is still not in beta it is still alpha test in house leaked that should not have bin released yet :)

Lexxuk
24-09-03, 14:15
hopefully this new patch will fix some of the fre's, if not, i'm gunna get that rare shotgun and shove it up... err, ya *coff coff*

Leebzie
24-09-03, 14:42
ive managed to get it down to 1-2 crashes a day... no tweaks... just seems KK are 'slowly' going thru the bugs... hope this next patch fixes the forum crashes !

Its quite random too... and with an online game to create the exact same server situation and client situation again...O_o it really goes without saying.

notneo
24-09-03, 15:50
what r u guys moaning about ???? to give kk there due it is a lot better than it used 2 be,i have lost characters and equipment b4 now,but it does seem 2 have settled down and i only get the occasional fre or sync error