PDA

View Full Version : Suppresive fire??

Whiety Bulger
24-09-03, 00:43
It is an importent part of many multiplayer online FPS games.
the abilty to scare and distract enemys by laying down massive amounts of lead. But becuase of Neocrons aiming system suppresive fire seems to have no place in Neocron. I think that should add some *gulp* autmomatic weapons so suppresive fire could be a viable tatic. The bullets don't have to be that strong they just have to have a high ROF.

Jesterthegreat
24-09-03, 00:45
tbh i think weapons should shoot where aimed... like other FPs's

however i realise this is a HELL of a change a year into the game... it wont happen... and 50% of peeps wont want it to happen

tbh kk leaving it as is will annoy 50% and changing will annoy the other 50%

lose : lose situation ^.^

NC Junkie

Q`alooaith
24-09-03, 01:00
I think a change where the retical stay's but is changed, so shot's will always go inside the area of the retical upto the max range, outside of the max range shot's should start going wider and such..

Running would make the retical larger, crouching smaller, though this a very big change to make..

NOLF, the aim system on that was nice...

trouble with NC and aiming is, you can only hit what you target..

FBI
24-09-03, 01:05
Originally posted by Q`alooaith
trouble with NC and aiming is, you can only hit what you target..

This is how FPS like gameplay is possible in neocron, none of the
bulk of FPS yet the feeling is there. This also allows 56k's to have
a fair shot. Also less server traffic, when u shoot someone whos
targetted, the calculations are made already. I like the system
how it is.

FBI

QuantumDelta
24-09-03, 01:35
Agreed, after a conversation last night about something of a topic along a different lines, I'm pretty sure cron/the servers couldn't take it....
So...generally, keep as is...
I do miss real FPS sometimes, but I have Tribes2 and other games for that.......

Q`alooaith
24-09-03, 02:16
maybe give some weapon that AoE but are burst AoE that can only be shot at the ground... they'd make good suppressive fire, while givng ok damage..

Thundra
24-09-03, 02:59
the aiming system in this is almost the oposite of that crom cs

in this u wait for the recticle to get smaller then fire

in cs as u hold down fire the recticle gets bigger thus forcing u to fire in small bursts for good aiming.

i would prefere the cs style BUT am aware that for neocrons servers and its game type the current system has to be used and so im am fine with it.

suppressive fire is possible tho with a lot of tanks and aoe weapons. imagin 7 tanks all with maledictions fireing intot he enemy flanks. a tad more effective that led no doubt

hal-one
24-09-03, 14:09
Well, Planetside is exactly like this. An MMOFPS. I suggest everyone tries it out (it has a free 7 day trial) just to find out what its all about. Suppressive fire plays a big role in Planetside fights.

If we just could combine the RPG side from Neocron and combat system from Planetside... personally Im not big fan of Planetside, too little content atm, after all the initial novelty has worn out, its just an FPS with bad maps.

zewy
24-09-03, 14:21
I think they can bring in planetside fps type of game play to neocron. planetside works some thing like this.
client send what you do move shot so on with no veritation from the server more then that you have bin updated the 5 or 10 last sec so even if you have 200 or 500 in ping it is still smoth for the server only send you what is going on other players moving. shoting. not like Half-life counter-strike works like full synk betwen the server/client. so no killed behinde the conners by lagg. not so often as in planetside that is. for what you it in planet side with bad ping or still hit the good ping user. and the game is smooth for both players. but I don't think the dev team will fix this in neocron even if we wold love it.

Siygess
24-09-03, 14:30
In all honesty, suppressive fire is never going to work in a game where damage is not meant to be realistic. The fear of taking a stray round or two keeps a person pinned down in real life.. and the same goes for CS, DoD etc (except for the pro's who will stride out into the middle of an incomming volley, calmly take aim and shop you with a single round).

In Neocron, no one cares unless its a CS, PE or Libby :/

hal-one
24-09-03, 14:57
Well, it works in Planetside.. attacking enemy shooting into the base thru a gate with medium assault weapons (=rifles) and rocklets (=fast, long range AoE) keeps the defenders usually pinned inside.

Lets assume youre hiding behind a rock and see bullets hitting ground on both sides of the rock. This will keep you behind the rock cause you know that if you put your head out, people on the other side already have a good aim on you, but if you want to shoot back, you have to find the enemy and aim before you can effectively return fire.

Its propably true that 100% random shooting rarely kills anyone, but as soon as someone sticks his head out, the shooting isnt that random anymore, but people actually aim on that head. It's not that much about being hit by a stray bullet, but being aware that there are people with loaded guns behind that corner, ready to rip you to pieces.

dmon99
24-09-03, 15:31
rawrrrrrrr pounder rawrrrrrr

lol planetside is a great game and could be even better . but.....

in all actuality planet sid is just a bunch of noobs redefining the word spam

i dont think anybody would wont more spamming in neocron ,further than what is already the norm

RAB
24-09-03, 15:34
nice idea but we already have things like the fusion and raygun cannons which could fulfill these rolls. But it simply wont work as you describe I think unless the supressive fire killed you in 1 or 2 shots - otherwise (as it is now):..

You sit there unloading supressive fire on object:..
Tank runs out from behind - takes all your shots, loses a few hp and wastes you with his CS cos that does kill you in a few shots !
:)

wolfwood
24-09-03, 15:37
wow while you are at it, how about we put in some buildable barb wire fences to even more skillless. No offence but suppressive fire really doesnt belong in Neocron.

RAB
24-09-03, 16:02
wot would be cool would be a blocking move you can make with a melee weapon so you could have lightsabre (like) fights !
:)

sorry - completely off topic :( Just spang to mind