PDA

View Full Version : AMD BLOWN AWAY by Intel!

AfterDark
23-09-03, 22:41
Have you guys seen the reviews on the Athlon 64? It's insane. The Pentium 4 Extreme Edition completely dominates it in just about every benchmark.

With 64 bit computing easily 18 months away the future looks very bleak for AMD.

I believe we can all say that the A64 was released with a thud heard around the computing world.

Heraclitus
23-09-03, 22:46
The word "benchmark" implies some sort of objectivity but benchmarks can be the most subjective thing in the gaming world. Wait a week or two and some other "objective" source will say that AMD clearly dominates Intel. This happens every time one of them releases a new chip.

KidWithStick
23-09-03, 22:50
shush your mouth fanboy!

AMD>ALL

Mumblyfish
23-09-03, 22:54
You know what? Nobody cares. Because it's impossible to tell the difference. There you go. I said it. Now you "OMG I CAN OVERCLOK THSI HARDWEAR TO MAEK 3 MORE FRAMS PER SECUND!!" idiots can choke to death.

Thanks. Feels good to be back.

Spy<VS>Spy
23-09-03, 23:07
actaully this falls upgrade has me using the intel chipsets for the very first time since i have bought my first computer.

why go intel? well yeah they are evil and all that, but at the moment, they feature inexspensive boards capable of a sweet 800mhz fsb, and chips beyound the 2 gig range with their pentium 4 class chips. AMD is still topping at a 400mhz front side bus, with most being 333.

add to that the higher end chips are more exspensive now then intels...

its a sad fall indeed but next week, the spy's giving the chip giant a fat check, and his year of new hardware goes pentium. meh.

msdong
23-09-03, 23:15
i dont really care about brand names. in my computer works allways the chip with the best performance for a low prize.

[what the hell is a P4 extreme edition ???? is that some watercooled over clocked chip that runs on 4 Ghz instead of the easy 2 Ghz on athlon64 ?]

ok, edit:
i see a "test" on heise.de and they the extreme do not completely outnumber the A64.
well in SOME benchmarks its LITTLE better.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/as-23.09.03-000/

as i say on top of this posting. when i buy a processor like that its around 200€ and im SHURE that its AMD which have better prize/performance.

well its another post of compare cars to bikes or whatever...

Viduus[JBX]
23-09-03, 23:38
dunno man.
We'll have to wait and see what the "real world" benchmarks say.

As it stands, AMD at 2.1 GHz performs about the same as the Intel @ 3GHz -- "speed" has very little to do with performance at that level. The same work at 1/3 less speed, near enough.

It's about computing power per cycle, not front side bus.

\\Fényx//
23-09-03, 23:41
feck intel, my ATHLON !!! XP 3000 gets me 150 FPS in NC so im fking happy, i tells ya, they should 'benchmark' every CPU on neocron, it's the biggest waster of CPU power ever :p :lol:

livide
24-09-03, 00:44
Pentium 4 extreme edition = new cpu especially for gamers .... has 3.2 ghz, 2mb cache and supports hyper threading

thats all they wrote about the specs on that page...
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/tol-17.09.03-000/

/edit/

had intel before, have intel right now, and my next cpu will be intel again :p

intel > amd

Whiety Bulger
24-09-03, 00:46
OMG WHO NEEDS THAT MUCH POWER???

Q`alooaith
24-09-03, 00:55
no point in buying anything new yet..

wait and somthing better will come... It's so near...

d3ik
24-09-03, 01:03
The industry is a constant build-up. One side comes out with [insert technology] and everybody goes 'Whoa!! This is gonna put $otherguy out of business!!". Then six months later $otherguy comes out with a newer, better product and everybody goes 'Whoa!! This is gonna put $firstguy out of business!!".

Also as someone said before, benchmarks can be swayed so easily it's a joke. You show me one benchmark 'proving' a chip is 'faster' than another, I'll show you three conflicting benchmarks. It just breaks down to how the chips are designed and what they are designed to do. You can load Neocron onto an earthquake/oil drilling super computer and say "Wow, this thing sucks... I don't even get 10 fps!" Why? Because they don't exactly throw high-end video cards in a number-cruncher. You can exploit certain bottlenecks in any chip, "Intel's faster than AMD"... "No, AMD's faster than intel"... this debate has been and will be argued until either one company is out of business, or until I buy them both and merge them into one chip-making monopoly. My opinion, you ask? I say Cyrix all the way :)

darkservent
24-09-03, 01:03
OMG WHO THE FUCK IN THERE RIGHT MIND WANNA SPEND 800 $ on a CHIP. I say SUCK INTEL there too expensive by far. AMD will deal a blow soon a.k.a yamhill project. As long as we all get performance chips at a good price, im happy with wot i have.

Whiety Bulger
24-09-03, 01:11
wait a cpouple of years thease chips will be cheap but this won't matter all u freak willn be lik OMG INTEL PENTIUM 43434343 VS AMD@#@#@#@$324

Q`alooaith
24-09-03, 01:17
Originally posted by Whiety Bulger
wait a cpouple of years thease chips will be cheap but this won't matter all u freak willn be lik OMG INTEL PENTIUM 43434343 VS AMD@#@#@#@$324

in a couple of year's you'll have a hard time finding these chips... well maybe a little longer but you get the idea..

There's somthing bigger than anyone thought possible comming soon... and neither side is connected to it..

Whiety Bulger
24-09-03, 01:18
KK is maken chips ???

Weazle
24-09-03, 01:23
Originally posted by Spy<VS>Spy
800mhz fsb, and chips beyound the 2 gig range with their pentium 4 class chips. AMD is still topping at a 400mhz front side bus, with most being 333.

Front side bus cannot be compared when both CPUs use different bus architectures.

This comparison is baseless .... I'm not defending either chips ... I'm adopting a wait and see attitude.

The A64 is a 64bit/32bit hybrid .... the P4 Extreme is a pure 32 bit chip. When running 32 bit software, the P4 is gonna win because it is purely 32 bit while the A64 has to convert. Heck the P4 can't do 64 bit so the only thing it proves that if you want 32 bit power, you stick with an old CPU designed for 32 bit.

The real test is seeing if the 64 bit Intel chip can outperform the AMD one in 64 bit applications. Then we see who the real winner is. The Intel CPU can't even do 32 bit at the moment and the A64 was designed for backward compatibility.

IMHO, with the 32 bit chips thus far (P4, Athlon) I'd rate them as being equal and preference. I have a P4 at work and its fast, I have an Athlon I play games on and its fast. I chose Athlon for because it was cheaper and used cheaper RAM (at the time when P4 only used RDRAM ;) )

Hippieman
24-09-03, 01:54
Dont forget the programs out there arent optimized for this new chip. Hell this is 1st generatioin stuff, let it iron out its new bugs and let everything get optimized and then all will be good. Oh yea and AMD will kill INTEL ;)

TheDuckMan
24-09-03, 01:58
Does it matter? Whether AMD is better then Intel? People are dieing all over the world from war, diseases, and not enough neocron (little humor in this dramatic post). And we can do is argue over who gets the best FPS?

PS. Intel>AMD

Ryuben
24-09-03, 02:16
im just happy AMD + intel are fighting for our bucks :D pushes down teh prices, as other wise if ther ewas 1 stong and rest a bit shoddy then intel would cahge stupid prices, u can tell they are worried by AMD as you will see the price drop of a INTEL CPU fall alot faster then a AMD one

kthxbye

IceStorm
24-09-03, 03:07
The Athlon 64 FX-51 beats the P4EE in a variety of gaming and peformance benches. The P4EE bests the FX-51 in several tests as well (www.tech-report.com has a decent review). Both are going to be about the same price, although the FX-51 is availale now vs. the P4EE which isn't. Athlon 64 3200+ sits at the $420 USD mark, which is where the regular P4 3.2 will be come late October, so if you're going to compare, compare FX-51 to P4EE and Athlon 64 3200+ to P4 3.2.

The P4EE is Intel's Xeon core recertified for 800Mhz FSB and 3.2Ghz core. The caches are all inclusive (what's in L1 is in L2, what's in L2 is in L3), so you're not really getting ~2.5Mb of cache, it's more like ~1.5MB of unique cached data. Either way, it's a stop-gap until Prescott is release in December, with a whopping 103 Watt Thermal Design Power rating at 3.4Ghz. Second spin of Prescott should get the power requirements down a bit, but that won't happen until Q1 2004 when the 2.8Ghz Prescott is released. I'd expect P4EE to stick around until Prescott ramps up a bit.

KidWithStick
24-09-03, 05:38
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTI0