PDA

View Full Version : Neocron + Win98 + DX9 + GeForce2

KimmyG
23-09-03, 19:59
I just installed Neocron on a slower machine running Windows 98. (750mhz athlon, 256mb sdram, Geforce2 64meg) Not a real SHITTY system but not the greatest hehe. Anyway Windows 98 is installed, the latest NVidia drivers installed, DirectX 9 installed, Windows Update 100% up-to-date, all drivers just installed today (brand new).

When I start Neocron, the launcher is fine, its patched up, configured for 1024x768x32 using the correct Audio/Video devices. Upon clicking Play Neocron it opens the Neocron window, then the screen flashes as if it were about to change resolutions to go into the game, then boots me to the desktop. Never gets into Neocron, not even the advertisements before the game starts. Same thing happens when I try it in window mode, only it doesn't try to change resolutions...the Neocron window appears and then dissapears without starting the game.

Any suggestions?

Seezur001
23-09-03, 20:23
hmmm.... Thats new to me, but when i first installed NC i install DX9 and it gave me nothing more than problems, i rolled back to 8.1 and it worked fine.

My suggestion, try DX 8.1 and see if it works, if you get the same problem.....well you'll probably have to ask someone else :)

Viduus[JBX]
23-09-03, 21:10
Try updating your motherboard drivers - many times there's an agp driver that will fix that issue **unless you run a VIA chipset, then only install to v 38.something (they actually give the suggested version on VIA's download site).

Otherwise I'd suggest that your video properties are not set correctly -- or your card just doesn't like mode switches, in which case NC is getting a critical stop as it loads.

Also there's an issue with windows update but I don't recall what it was, since I never had the problem (run 2k) that was resolved for a couple other games with this exact scenario happening -- so make sure you check that option out.

Nixon
23-09-03, 21:13
Got DX9 + GF2 but win2k.. tho i did run neocron with win98se too.

If you got VIA chipset u must get VIA 4in1 if you dont have it yeah..

But i'd say update detonators too..

\\Fényx//
23-09-03, 21:20
Thats a fecked install, I get that after every time I update DX on my PC. Always have to reinstall NC or that happens, just reinstall NC =/

Ehyuko
24-09-03, 00:26
Sounds like my system, what type of GF2 is it? If it's an Asus use the Asus 43.45d for GF2 drivers - not the newer 44.xxx drivers which are not dx9 compatable, yet.

The problem may be the video drivers you are using are not DX9 compatable [from what I understand DX stopped certifying drivers for win98 early/mid 2002], which was the exact same problem I had [and same symptoms]. An easy way to check this is to run the dxdiag program [dxdiag.exe] from the run prompt and do the directX tests, if it fails the directX you know your drivers need some more revisions before you can use them.

KimmyG
24-09-03, 00:30
Appearantly Neocron doesn't work with DirectX 9 and the latest NVidia drivers under windows 98, I downgraded my video drivers to 30.82? i think (one from late 2002) and it works great.

Oh and add a clean 3 reinstalls

=a working game of neocron and one annoyed person we couldn't easy fix now could we let only a tech support site with some idea's.

Richard Slade
24-09-03, 10:49
LoL I pwn u all in gayness of puters!

GeForce 256
391(faked)mb Sdram (Actually just 64)
A PII 450MhZ! Yeeehaaaw!

I do DX9 and Win98 and haven't had a single problem, ever
Well except for the fact that I can't play 1024x768 at all :rolleyes:

Leebzie
24-09-03, 10:58
The last time i updated my drivers (on my old Geforce 2 system (running Windows XP pro), now on a Geforce 4 Ti 4800...) and went up to DX9 every time i ran neo i got the same problem... i think neo doesnt like DX9...

I rolled back the Geforce 2 driver and took off DX 9 , and everything was fine again. oh... neo would run when i set the desktop rez to 800X600 and the game rez to 800X600... seemed to have trouble with the rez switch , though i cant be positive.

so im still using DX8.1 here , on windows XP pro

Scikar
24-09-03, 11:12
I know the solution. I have a very similar second system (900 MHz proc though) also using a GeF2. The problem is with the latest Detonator drivers, they don't identify the card I think. I noticed the problem when I updated and FreeLancer told me there was no GFX card. I went back one Detonator version and all was fine. :)