PDA

View Full Version : Steam r0x!

alig
23-09-03, 13:14
Well, i remembered seeing a post saying steam sux and heres just why steam is far from shit!.:rolleyes:

http://www.satanslaw.co.uk/upload/files/steam%20rox!.JPG

It took just under 5 mins to get a 120mb game from there. :D

Btw im on 512k so it nearly maxed it out lol :lol:

Oh ye it took 15 mins to get the 300mb CS and 2 mins to get the upgraded HL as well

Mankind
23-09-03, 13:24
Nah, steam still sucks. You just got a good server you're downloading that from like FilePlanet.

jernau
23-09-03, 13:25
Download speed is purely a function of your connection bandwidth and that of the provider.

I'm not sure what Steam is tbh but it won't be able to change the point above.

GurTjaN
23-09-03, 13:27
ooh nice bandwith *drools* i go about 80kb a sec when im downing :)

hinch
23-09-03, 13:30
the steam download code is pretty good its the rest of it thats shit.

i grabbed cs and updates and dod in about 20 mins on my connection was quite shocked

but doing a full server refresh causes my ntl router to reboot :)

alig
23-09-03, 13:45
I've only had one problem with it so far and thats sometimes i have to log out and back into steam cuz it says summat like "Steam ID not recongnised" but logging out and in fixes that! :)

Oh yeh, steam doesnt link u to another server like fileplanet etc.....cuz i would still be waiting now to download it as fileplanet sux for none-subcribers :p

hinch
23-09-03, 13:47
i think my main problem with steam is

CS1.6

ITS FUCKING SHITE

oh well roll on hl2 and cs2 and we`ll see if it gets any better

Nasher
23-09-03, 14:00
My main problem with steam is.....IT DOESNT FUCKING WORK!

Its like using a MAC ffs

X452
23-09-03, 14:16
steam does work and to owns!!

Mankind
23-09-03, 14:30
Originally posted by alig
I've only had one problem with it so far and thats sometimes i have to log out and back into steam cuz it says summat like "Steam ID not recongnised" but logging out and in fixes that! :)

Oh yeh, steam doesnt link u to another server like fileplanet etc.....cuz i would still be waiting now to download it as fileplanet sux for none-subcribers :p

notice I said "good server like Fileplanet", as in speed. I'm not referring to the line waiting, just the speed. If you prefer I said 3dgamers, mmk.

Mattimeo
23-09-03, 14:32
aside from when the server goes down, I've never had a single problem with steam.

Then again, I tend to play the only good game on it, TFC..

LTA
23-09-03, 15:13
heh dosen't matter what you think of steam...

Wanna play hl online.... you need steam.... weather you think it's shite or not valve don't give a rats ass cuz they know your gonna use it to play whatever :p

iainy13
23-09-03, 15:45
some ppl hate 1.6 becouse there connection made em never get hit. now its changed an they r all pissed. also 1.6 is awsome. NO problems with it. prob made for xp. Though i hate the new weapen lineup an names.som any times i start walkin away with a freakin tmp.

Scikar
23-09-03, 15:48
Can someone confirm if it's possible to play a LAN game without an internet connection? I heard that with Steam I might have to be connected to the net even if I only want to play on a local network, which kinda defeats the point.

iainy13
23-09-03, 16:21
wowi think u r right! thats realy gay! im goin 2 a lan party an they all have cs 1.5 4 some reason. thats probably one of them.

hinch
23-09-03, 16:25
Originally posted by Scikar
Can someone confirm if it's possible to play a LAN game without an internet connection? I heard that with Steam I might have to be connected to the net even if I only want to play on a local network, which kinda defeats the point.

it is NOT possiable to play lan with internet connections

all games using steam require internet access to be conneted even if your playing a lan setup or a solo game

Pill
23-09-03, 16:28
Oh no no no my friend, steam still sucks, what makes it so funny, is I get those kinda speeds from places like FilePlanet WITHOUT Steam.

KidWithStick
23-09-03, 16:32
steam fuckin sucks man...that shit always freezes on me...takes forever to just get in CS...etc...my clan server still hasnt upgraded yet...although the owners of the server said they were going to.

IMO steam is the death of CS.

yea it has some cool features...but its a POS.

some guy on futuremark made a a fake steam thing that was called STEAMing shit...thought that was pretty funny/true.

Scikar
23-09-03, 17:58
Originally posted by hinch

all games using steam require internet access to be conneted even if your playing a lan setup or a solo game

That just sucks. Not everyone has BB. My 56k service even disconnects me every 2 hours. Does this mean I have to abandon my single player Half-Life games every 2 hours now as well as mu online ones? I can't believe any games company would want to piss off their customers like that. This is supposed to reduce piracy, all I see it doing is encouraging more people to hack it so they can still play offline.

hinch
23-09-03, 18:02
That just sucks. Not everyone has BB. My 56k service even disconnects me every 2 hours. Does this mean I have to abandon my single player Half-Life games every 2 hours now as well as mu online ones? I can't believe any games company would want to piss off their customers like that. This is supposed to reduce piracy, all I see it doing is encouraging more people to hack it so they can still play offline.

correct

only thing is when they turn on the mem space hack detection and file consistancy checking anyone hacking it should be caught (ofc they havent turned it on yet :))

*ph33r*
23-09-03, 18:02

I'm in the same unfortunate situation as Scikar here, my ISDN disconnects every 2 hours or so... and now they are forcing us to play SP for steam? Fuck that!

rob444
23-09-03, 18:40
Originally posted by hinch

How are you going to have it, is it playable without internet or not?

Phlith
23-09-03, 18:44
oh the pain... damn gallil is evil... oh so evil!

hinch
24-09-03, 01:23
from what valve have said if its a game distroed via steam then you have to be connected to the internet to use it

hl2 will also have an offline version available though single player only