PDA

View Full Version : Mirco`s mixed bag of rants

Mirco
23-09-03, 03:07
K, I`ve saved something up for this occation.

Here goes.

1. Rifle/Sniper spy.

Today I was at Deveroux doin the ol`op war stuff.
As a spy I have nothing to contribute inside the op walls when the action heats up so I take to the hills just north of Deveroux. This gives me a nice angle down in the op. Perfect for sniping, but oh wait, I cant see the bloody south half of the op. Its all covered in mist.

Question: I`ve played with the force fog options and stuff, but it will not let me extend my view. Is there something wrong with my setup or is it how its supposed to be??

Another question: Can we get a rifleeye that turns everything to wireframe when activated so I can see longer as I guess the fog is there to get the fps up??

Anyways so I miss most of the action, some guy sneaks out of the op so I get to rip one round of with my silent hunter. But wait, there is some kind of delay on my silent hunter, it seems like pulling the trigger on my first round makes me wait a few seconds, not like the other rifles that fire right away. Weird, gets my aim off I`ll tell you that.

About my silent hunter. Its range is 2999 + 499 or something, when I stand up on that hill and some of my clan mates are just idling inside the op at a range where I can just barely see them, my silent hunter wont lock, Im like 200 meters away max.

At every op fight I try to get into positions to attack from great range, now when there is some nice furballs going on another problem presents itself. My wep-lore skill, its not bad, but I guess it could have been better i`ve near capped the SH. Anyways with the speed people move its very hard to get aim as good as you want to fire a shot. Foe ohh friendly foe foe foe foe ups friendly in my sights. Aim takes to long to tighten, loosens up, tightens again, combine this with the delay on the SH its getting close to impossible to have any impact on the situation.

Combine this with ppu and buffed up players I might as well be standing in plaza doing tradeskills. Some of you prolly thinks this is fine, because spies arent supposed to be a fighting class. Problem is that I play this game to have fun. Tradeskills are not fun, they are usefull skills, but they are not any fun. Monks dont appeal to me, neither does tanks, that leaves PE`s and spies. I chose to be a spy, I deserve some fun dont I, even though im just a spy?

Well, I do have fun from time to time, when I go up against other runners, except apus cause they ruin my legs in one shot. I just want more of it thats all. I`m having most fun while fighting other projectile users like spies, PE`s and tanks. I hate PPU`s. Which brings me over to my second paragraph. the PPU.

2. The PPU.

Why do I hate the ppu? Because they highten the damagetolerance so much that as a rifle user I`m left way back in line as far as damagedealing is concerned. Combine reduced woop-ass ability with range, difficulty of aim (because of fog, op walls), less rounds hitting target im basicly useless in an op-fight. The opfight is fought in another dimension of damagedealing abilities. Tanks and APU`s deal alot of damage from close range, they hit more rounds. When im out op-fighting with my clan, I just feel more and more useless=no fun.

I also think that no character should be able to withstand the damage a PPU is doing now. Cause when you multiply the number of PPU`s balance is out the window. A ppu shouldnt be able to stand and outheal a tank shooting at him, he should get reduced damage of course, but he should need to move out of the way. I think its just silly now. Imho a PPU shouldnt be pure. Having PPUs being pure force KK to make the class uber-defence, because if it wasnt who would want to go pure PPU? I never played a monk so I wouldnt know how to balance this, I read the posts stating changes to monks, but they dont make sense to me, I know to little about it.

Well thats about it, Im going to bed now. Gotta sleep of this lousy mood im in, it just gets to me sometimes thats all.

hnlecter
23-09-03, 03:37
KK wants spys to be long range and wants each class to have versability. But currently long range is like 300m and then you have monks. And if they removed the clipping distance (which prevents sniping) monks would cry and 90% of neocron would leave.

Mantus
23-09-03, 04:29
Originally posted by hnlecter
KK wants spys to be long range and wants each class to have versability. But currently long range is like 300m and then you have monks. And if they removed the clipping distance (which prevents sniping) monks would cry and 90% of neocron would leave.

Why would monks or any one cry? Its not like a sniper rifle is that easy to use, even if the posible sniping distance was increased it would still be hard to hit someone. No one would leave...we would just get allot of spies all of the sudent :D

Shadow Dancer
23-09-03, 04:39
I would roll a spy if sniping's FULL capabalities were unleashed.

TWOK
23-09-03, 05:07
Most spies will agree with you on every statement, I certainly do :mad: I don't bother logging my spy anymore even though my faction is calling for runners, there seems no point. Strangely the only runners I do kill are other spies :lol:

IceStorm
23-09-03, 05:11
The engine's limit is 800 to 1000m outdoors. My Tangent Epic laser rifle has a max range of ~820m and I can manage to get targets visible beyond the lock range of the rifle. I think my Redeemers are in the 900 range, and I _think_ I've managed to target something outside that range, but I don't use my redeemers enough to know for sure.

It's an engine problem, it doesn't matter what you set fog distance to (mine's maxed out and I've got grass off, etc), and it has been like this for a while. It's the main reason I don't care much about the range on my rifles. Anything over 1000m is useless anyway due to the way the engine "reveals" targets. It really sucks as the Redeemer is more powerful the further it is from the target, ergo if I increase the range on my Redeemers much beyond what they are now, they'll be quite weak.

mdares
23-09-03, 05:24
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
I would roll a spy if sniping's FULL capabalities were unleashed.

hehehe i already got that sector covered... capped tank, pe, monk, and spy... just waiting for the sweet stuff... (if they ever come)

BlackPrince
23-09-03, 05:52
Who cares about the ~40 spies in the entire game that aren't second accounts now because the owners have monks instead to fight on?

We're spies, its time to know our role and shut our mouths. We are in game to research rares and make cool stuff for monks.

Tanks are in game to give monks something to kill.

PE's are in game b/c everything KK has done to make them less fun to play has instead made them more viable for combat.

Heavyporker
23-09-03, 06:25
well, why not just overhaul the engine...

and keep the clipping plane locked to everyone...

using the zoom on scope-modded weapons and sniper rifles would unlock the anti-clipping, vastly extending visible range on rifles and make sniping viable.

Spoon
23-09-03, 06:40
Originally posted by BlackPrince
Who cares about the ~40 spies in the entire game that aren't second accounts now because the owners have monks instead to fight on?

We're spies, its time to know our role and shut our mouths. We are in game to research rares and make cool stuff for monks.

Tanks are in game to give monks something to kill.

PE's are in game b/c everything KK has done to make them less fun to play has instead made them more viable for combat.

rofl....
That's priceless....
I wish it was short enough to make into a sig......:lol:

On Topic(sort of):

How the heck do you guys judge range ingame, in a virtual world?
I can't estimate range at all, am I missing something?

japata
23-09-03, 07:14
Neocron engine seems to be dynamically modified by the cpu (ie. fast computer = longer max. distance in 3rd person mode), so could this be the case with weapon ranges?

Another strange thing is that the distances do not follow the same standards. I have 470m range in my speedgun and my pal has 400m range in his PE but still he can shoot about 1.5x farther. :/

IceStorm
23-09-03, 07:23
How the heck do you guys judge range ingame, in a virtual world?
Lock onto a target and walk backwards. At a certain point, either the lock drops but the target's still moving around, or the target disappears (during full visibility, not cloudy days). It "disappears" at a certain distance, which is the engine limit for dynamic objects moving about. Lock drops when you exceed the range on your weapon.

I can, during a clear period, lose lock on a Warbot, but still see it moving towards me. I can also back up so far that the Warbot disappears, indicating the engine is limiting me.

I go by the range on my rifles. If lock drops on my laser rife, it's because I've gone over its 820m range. When I use my Commando (1200m or so), the targets always disappear before I lose lock.