PDA

View Full Version : [IDEA] New combat type (kinda)

Dribble Joy
22-09-03, 15:24
OK, this is gonna sound really, really stupid but here goes.

In the depression following the discovery that my house at Uni doesn't have the internet for quite some time (possibly more than a week) I was thinking (crazy shit, huh?)
What about Martial arts?
I didn't really think it should be M-C based, tanks doing crazy mad moves didn't seem right.
What about DEX? and more specifically AGL?
I didn't want it to be soley based on it, but STR or INT doesnt really fit right.
So I thought a bit more and after a pint of tea or two, DING my light bulb popped.
After watching some Jet Li films, I thought about Ki (chi/ki/ci whatever) rar PSI comes into it. Learning how to focus the mind, body and spirit to pwnz0r j00r opponent.

So basically, dmg/RoF/acc. is based on AGL/PPW (or PPU not sure, bare with me here, balancing would have to occur)
PEs would strike some kinda of balance between AGL and PSI, spys would concentrate more on the physical side of things, and monk3hs rely on thier powerful minds to challel ki.
Weapon wise I was thinking DEX based gloves/gauntlets placed in the quick slots as per normal.
PEs would not be able to reach the high ones, but make up for it with their higher PSI/CON.
Spys use their very high dex.
PSIs like a PE using heavy weapons, aren't really suited for it and be a bit gimped, better using APU. The DEX based weapons mean they can't reach the higher stuff, and as I imagined, it's more of a thing to help PPUs lvl, rather than a viable weapon option.
Again Tanks could use it but would be better off sticking to what the do best (shiting great fuck off guns)
PEs/Spys seemed to fit the whole ninja/martial artist thing anyway.

There you go, please flame away (in a constructive and consice manner please, we don't want to get banned do we.)

\\Fényx//
22-09-03, 15:28
:lol:

crazy bastidos, go back to sleep :p Would be a good Idea, but Agility and PPW ?!? Everyone has some agility and PPW o_O

Richard Slade
22-09-03, 15:31
Good idea. But it should be AGL, MST and M-C combined
(with M-C as just a small point sink for the sake of balance)

Viduus[JBX]
22-09-03, 15:32
The problem arises in that martial arts is strongly dependant on precise hits -- most especiallyu vs. opponents with armor.

Since NC has no method of allowing for that, *or a generic AD&D type "chance hit"?*, then this isn't really a viable option.

INT skills (knowing where to hit), PSI skills (focused CHI), Dex (being ABLE to perform the hit), weapon lore (know how to avoid getting hit by X weap/knowing how to get past armor)... egads, the list is long.....

**edit, continued**

And how would you specify what to use? (hand, foot, roundhouse, straight kick, Kata 7, et c)... lol

I doubt a shiruken could get through PSI sheilding either, for that matter....

Dribble Joy
22-09-03, 15:37
m3h, it was just a thought.

Heavyporker
22-09-03, 17:15
Interesting thought.

Oh - like spell modules, you could have move-list modules, like roundhouse kick, uppercut, etc etc. That'd how it would work.

willpower, ppw, mc, and agility would come into it, yeah...

and it'd be damage % based (leave out the precision hitting, ok, unless you're talking about effects, and then you'd just have to worry about damage % as a matter of accuracy and effect combined)

Simple enough. PEs'd be the perfect masters of martial arts because of their across-board abilities - high WPW, PPW, MC and AGL... Spies could get pretty dangerous, but nowhere near a PE's because of their lower STR. Monks could use martial arts as well, but they're even more gimped in the STR department. Tanks... well, nope, they don't have the INT for it... but they'd be more than capable of picking up a few clever moves.

Hey, there could be an martial art ability to shake off one's parashock - Inner Focus or something. First level one would be accessible by everyone, but need a lot of mana (PPW) and it'd be slow - about 1.5x slower than an antishock or whatever... Third level, accessible only by pure martial artist PEs and perhaps gimped Spies, would shake off parashock almost as fast as it gets laid on them. But they'd have to take the time to shake it off, and PPUs would only be able to protect themselves well enough to survive a martial artist, so they'd be balanced enough.

Dribble Joy
22-09-03, 17:26
Originally posted by Heavyporker

Oh - like spell modules, you could have move-list modules, like roundhouse kick, uppercut, etc etc. That'd how it would work.

willpower, ppw, mc, and agility would come into it, yeah...

Oh nice. :D

Heavyporker
23-09-03, 06:08
Yep, I'm clever like that :D

At least PEs wouldn't bitch as much for a little while longer.

Plus, it'd be very curious to see PEs running around without self-cast shelters, LOL.