PDA

View Full Version : A Cloaking Exploit

Crest
22-09-03, 09:49
Is it just lag or a cloaking exploit.....

So I am at chester with my monk doing some research when I hear tap tap. I look around, check the players name window , start to buff up and then all over a sudden it says press mbutton 2....

Out cloaks a PE, and hey he sits there for about 5 minuts doing things to me, I would not do to my sister.....

So is this an exploit, My understanding is that you can't use a weapon when cloaked. I did get hit by a gun, and I did die. I was in the bunker against the wall. The only other explination is that he was a sniper PE , could get a lock on me and sniped me... But even a unbuffed mid to hi level ppu should not die from 1 shot . After first 2 taps I checked health and no damage there....

I am trying to figure this one out ????

I did get the guys name ... hehe ... he dont know i know who he is....

How ... While he having sex witha dead ppu, I had my scond machine on already, brought out my low level spy, from a distance I took a snap shot through my scope.... So now I know who on my most wanted list.......

He probably could never figure out why I just lay there dead for about 3 minutes while he sexed me up

Richard Slade
22-09-03, 09:52
Well I'd report him straight away if no one has something better to come up with,
also I just can't figure out why he sexed ur body for 5min......

athon
22-09-03, 10:01
*tap* *tap* sounds like 2 shots to me, and my Silent Hunter can take out some APUs in 2 shots (mostly takes 3 tho).

The other thing it could've been is a turret.

Athon Solo

Dissenter
22-09-03, 10:05
Good Paineaser and only 2 shots hit maybe?

They have decent range

jernau
22-09-03, 10:21
Originally posted by athon
*tap* *tap* sounds like 2 shots to me, and my Silent Hunter can take out some APUs in 2 shots (mostly takes 3 tho).

The other thing it could've been is a turret.

Athon Solo

PE with a Silent Hunter is unlikely. I'd guess he used a PE from a range beyond Local and you got unlucky with lag. I would guess the two shots you heard were as he closed in for the kill.

tw@
22-09-03, 10:29
Can't of been a turret coz he was at the bunker, and im assuming he means the one at MB. Also as it was a PE it could be unlikely he was using a Silent Hunter because of the drugs+gimping. I think that we blatently have a case of the stealth exploit ive been hearing about but never seen put into practical use.

Richard Slade
22-09-03, 10:32
Originally posted by tw@
Can't of been a turret coz he was at the bunker, and im assuming he means the one at MB. Also as it was a PE it could be unlikely he was using a Silent Hunter because of the drugs+gimping. I think that we blatently have a case of the stealth exploit ive been hearing about but never seen put into practical use.

Originally posted by Crest
So I am at chester with my monk doing some research when I hear tap tap. I look around, check the players name window , start to buff up and then all over a sudden it says press mbutton 2...

Crest aint no n00b u know..
Dunn think he'd do research in MB bunker, no?

Mankind
22-09-03, 10:53
One time I was on my monk at Tezla with the +50 construct I was able to make my own weaponparts. Well out of the blue I'm killed. And the goguardian near the hack room is pretty well protected. There is no back entrance, and no one came through the front. I just died. Luckily got a rez and it didn't happen again oddly enough.

Richard Slade
22-09-03, 10:56
Originally posted by Mankind
One time I was on my monk at Tezla with the +50 construct I was able to make my own weaponparts. Well out of the blue I'm killed. And the goguardian near the hack room is pretty well protected. There is no back entrance, and no one came through the front. I just died. Luckily got a rez and it didn't happen again oddly enough.

That's just because you're a clown.

Mankind
22-09-03, 10:59
http://home.stny.rr.com/ncimagez/mom.jpg

And I'm one scary clown at that :)

Richard Slade
22-09-03, 11:03
Speaking of clowns, wasn't mankind a WWF wrestler too?
But that clown in WWF wasn't named mankind, no? Or was he...

Mankind
22-09-03, 11:33
Mankind was only cool in WWF when he first came out. He was in that dark cellar talking about how his mommy beat him. Pulling out his hair and eating rats. Then he would go and stick his fingers down wrestlers throats..that was hardcore.

Then he became very gay and put a sock on his hand and started throwing himself through tables...retard.

I don't watch wrestling anymore...boring.

Ransom
22-09-03, 11:35
I myself have experienced a bug when using the stealth tools, after a long drawn out battle on pluto which included many buffs, debuffs, stealthing, dying and genrepping. Another member of the force was asking for pokes and I went to his aid and poked him. The process worked, but as he was alone he seemed quite confused. He asked where I was, so I started jumping up and down in his face, he still couldn't see me. I fired a weapon, and still he couldn't see me. I ended it only because I relogged.

Although that situation had the potential for exploitation, I have never recreated the continual stealth, so my report only suggested that there may be a logic bug.

However as you saw the PE come up to you afterwards, it is unlikely that he was using the bug as an exploit and more likely he had just caught you unawares.

extract
22-09-03, 12:05
I see noone mentioned the fact lag couldve taken part in this scenario....

\\Fényx//
22-09-03, 12:08
Originally posted by extract
I see noone mentioned the fact lag couldve taken part in this scenario....

ROFL

Once again extract FORGETS to read the post before replying o_O

First line of the post

Originally posted by Crest
Is it just lag or a cloaking exploit.....

o_O

see ?!?

Personally I think it's lag or a sniper

extract
22-09-03, 12:15
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
ROFL

Once again extract FORGETS to read the post before replying o_O

First line of the post

o_O

see ?!?

Personally I think it's lag or a sniper

I know that you said it....but everyone else thinks its an exploit, and no one sniper could take you out in one shot, you say you heard tap, tap, but no damage which obviously means lag(especially since you said you were unbuffed anyways, which only god knows why a PPU out in the wastes would be unbuffed anyways)

FBI
22-09-03, 12:19
I was in pepper park: medicare genrep and had the genrep
window open just incase someone came (thank god).

All of the sudden, my unbuffed SI monk got shot with plasma..
quickly glanced at the locallist...no one... then i saw my HP at
20, had the mouse already over the button to where i wanted
to go...escaped barely.

But i never saw anyone, that makes me mad.

FBI

\\Fényx//
22-09-03, 12:22
They say that there are no 1 hit kill's, that is true, however from a BURST weapon it is possible as it counts as 2, 3 or 4 shots. If it was a pain easer that was used, and he is a PPU monk thats unbuffed, he has godawful peirce/force resists, Lowish health, he heard 2 taps, then a break, then dropped dead. I know he may have checked his health after the 2 tapping noises, and health hadnt moved, that was probably caused by lag. Then a second burst from a PE finished him off

extract
22-09-03, 12:32
well I dont know man, theres a plethora of things that could've happened but Im pretty positive that exploit being the answer is fairly slim in this case.....

I just think it was a serious case of lag

Crest
22-09-03, 13:10
This is why I sked if it happened to anyone...

The bunker was chester, for the op bonuses. As A Rule I now buff when doing work.

Yes Tap Tap could have been a from a weapon, but my instinct was to look at health, I did and health was fine, so Tap Tap would have hit health imidiatley I think (If a weapon).

Then started to buff got a shelter on, then dead
Lying there blue ghost is around (never saw where he came from, And decloaks ...

Could be a long distance snipe (even though I am in the bunker, to avoid that reason).

Yes the other possibility was lag. I was friendly ti base, and the turrets aloud me to the gogo...

Nightbrother
22-09-03, 18:43
I'll tell you what has happened to me at Chester. At one time, I was doing research, and was stupidly standing so that anyone going into the bunker up the hill to the east could shoot at me with a sniper. Yet I was with 3 clanmates, and so didn't think I needed to hide near the GR. Stupid of me. I suddenly just fell over, even with 330 health, and 50+ in piercing resist, and I was shot in one kill. Silent Hunter is evil.

At another point in time I was attacked by two people at the same time, one shooting from the bunker with a sniper, with me shooting back at him with my SH, and along at the same time as the dude at the bunker up the hill hits me the first time, a PE with a pistol comes up and splatters me, so some people coordinate attacks. Good idea, also.

I dont know if an SH could kill a medium-lvl PPU in one shot, when he is buffed, but I can tell you that I do 60-70 damage to a fully buffed PPU with my 2 slot SH. This was about 1½ months ago, and so I suspect that the damage done now will be the same.

Lathuc
22-09-03, 18:58
i have expirienced something that made me invisible through some bizzare bug (i can't even use stealth so that wasnt it like someone said) that made my clanmate not see me i might add that we were only 2 so i dont know if i was invis to all.

edit i might add that it was only temporary and got fixxed before i zoned

extract
22-09-03, 19:03
Originally posted by Lathuc
i have expirienced something that made me invisible through some bizzare bug (i can't even use stealth so that wasnt it like someone said) that made my clanmate not see me i might add that we were only 2 so i dont know if i was invis to all.

edit i might add that it was only temporary and got fixxed before i zoned

next time just tell them to look up and they will probably see you, I know sometimes ill be standing next to someone and theyll just start floating straight up, or Ill be like "hey where are you" and they say that theyre right next to me and Ill look up in the sky and theyre up there but just a tiny dot......

SigmaDraconis
22-09-03, 19:08
Uh zoning UG at Seiger last night..i was being shot by like 2 people who werent showing up on local or on my screen..evul PIMPS !!! (jk i know it was a bug ;O ) strange shit happens in this game o.0

Cryotchekk
22-09-03, 19:12
could it of been a mob in the wall?

Heraclitus
22-09-03, 19:13
This has actually happened to me twice. Both times at the hands of two different (I think) Pistol PEs. Both times I saw the ray from what I presume was blacksun, but I did not see nor could I target any player. There was also no one on the local list. The second time it happened I was buffed (PE myself) and the kill took several seconds. I was baffled, to say the least and I tracked where the ray was coming from (which was quite close) but still saw no player and no one on the local list. Both times I am sure the killers were stealthed at one time or another.

Both times I chalked it up to lag. Though it sort of begs the question if they were too lagged to register uncloaking with the server how is it they weren't too lagged to kill me? It may be a bug in unstealthing or yes a possible exploit though I haven't had enough experience with it to say either with authority.

I have also experienced the "invisible player" bug in non-combat situations, so I know that at least this bug is possible. Both times I was killed I tapped out immediately so I didn't stick around to see if anyone uncloaked or what have you. (The second time it happened I went to a very nearby GR and stole my pants back from the PKer before he had time to hack my belt, then ran to safety to taunt him.)

Shakari
22-09-03, 19:36
Originally posted by Nightbrother
I'll tell you what has happened to me at Chester. At one time, I was doing research, and was stupidly standing so that anyone going into the bunker up the hill to the east could shoot at me with a sniper. Yet I was with 3 clanmates, and so didn't think I needed to hide near the GR. Stupid of me. I suddenly just fell over, even with 330 health, and 50+ in piercing resist, and I was shot in one kill. Silent Hunter is evil.

At another point in time I was attacked by two people at the same time, one shooting from the bunker with a sniper, with me shooting back at him with my SH, and along at the same time as the dude at the bunker up the hill hits me the first time, a PE with a pistol comes up and splatters me, so some people coordinate attacks. Good idea, also.

I dont know if an SH could kill a medium-lvl PPU in one shot, when he is buffed, but I can tell you that I do 60-70 damage to a fully buffed PPU with my 2 slot SH. This was about 1½ months ago, and so I suspect that the damage done now will be the same.

You cannot get a single shot kill from a gun the fires single shots :) no matter the victims lvl :)

Mighty Max
22-09-03, 19:46
You cannot get a single shot kill from a gun the fires single shots no matter the victims lvl

If he just buffed with some Resi Booster it's possible to die in one hit, since he is already at low health (the resi adds max health).

So that might happened ....

tho i think it was just lag

Spy<VS>Spy
22-09-03, 20:16
bug while cloaking, no, there are no bugs with cloaking...that work for the cloakers advantage.

there is however, a bug at ranged combat. in which at a distance, the server decides, that since your so far apart, you dont REALLY need to have that damage packet anytime soon, because, the things closer to you are much more interesting.

IE, you where already dead, before you started buffing, he probably just moved up to you, placed a few shots into you to make sure your corsp was down, and the server suddenly remembered it had damage packets to send you...

hence you die...good for snipers...not so good for you.

also, it should be noted, that there are sevral sectors, which are buggy in themselves...chester is one of them...there are a few others, you painfully find this out when you try and kill things in every zone.

VVerevvolf
22-09-03, 20:30
I never had a stealth bug which gave me an advantage, I always have this annoying bug that the server decides Im not stealthing, though Im stealthing on my client.
Everyone can shoot me, I cant do anything. Very annoying.

.Cyl0n
22-09-03, 20:49
id been with my clan at tezla once and all of the sudden ppl with full hlt dropped dead... you could see 400 dmg over their heads and stuff like that o_O
like 15 ppl... all were reezing ... at the end everyone died like 2 times and we repped away...

it couldnt be a sniper because it was a 1 shot kill everytime o_O

and i got a ping of 80...everyone was under 200 ping o_O
nc is wierd sometimes lol

.cy

22-09-03, 21:52
Think it was lag.

J a y
23-09-03, 02:18
im pritty sure its a bug. at Tg my friend and i were trying to reserch and bild. but everytime he loged i couldnt see him (he was opening trade and local chat) trade closed automaticly.
only place we could find eachother and trade was in the caves. everyonce in a while it would show him but he didnt see me or the other way around.

i beleave its a bug that just poped up. it happend to me in pp a few times as well.

Roc-a-fella
23-09-03, 02:26
i remember one time at MB, i was standing isnide with my noob monk, and i was getting dmg like wtf, i relog and there is a monster infront of me, he was invisible shooting me it sucked lol

Bob Monkhouse
23-09-03, 16:18
I have encountered a bug like this too, but only within NC city. I was invisible to my clan mate, but he could hear me in local.

A relog solved the problem. The worrying issue here is that there are far too many people who will test such a bug to see if they can replicate it at will and abuse it, all in the name of being "uber".

I suggest you report this as a possible exploit. A GM can then follow them and figure out if it was lag, a random bug or someone deliberately manipulating the game engine.

EDIT: Just read your next post Eric, and the "invisible" bug I mentioned was not in a stealth situation either, just standing chatting in plaza 2.

ericdraven
23-09-03, 16:21
Originally posted by Bob Monkhouse
I have encountered a bug like this too, but only within NC city. I was invisible to my clan mate, but he could hear me in local.

A relog solved the problem. The worrying issue here is that there are far too many people who will test such a bug to see if they can replicate it at will and abuse it, all in the name of being "uber".

I suggest you report this as a possible exploit. A GM can then follow them and figure out if it was lag, a random bug or someone deliberately manipulating the game engine.
I think this special bug has nothing to do with stealthing.
It's just that the position of this "invisible" player is incorrectly from you point of view (i am sure everyone knows about those "flying" people - probably the same or a similar bug).
So even if your mate is directly in front of you, your client thinks he is.. let's say.. 50 m ABOVE, so you can't see him but still see his chat. Relogging fixes this bug.

Crest
24-09-03, 09:35
Hmmm...

In MB a few patches back (K_01) clan and I killed a WB in the water, with our tank toys.
I watched 2 of the clan memebers just drop and die, I took 2 steps forward, had electric shock and lost 70% of my health...Waited a min (health on its way back up) Took 2 steps and died. Something about the WB killing the server did not like. One guy survived that and he was a Mellee tank at the time. So it was strange.

This Incident I have started thread over could not be the invisible bug (Accidental invissable) cause, he then came up to me cloaked, un cloaked and hit me with some of his toys.....

IF anything it is
1) Some sort of exploit, we will see more of this if it is, more of this kind of thread will appear and expose the exploit.
2) Lag, Nothing else was lagging, research went through as norm, but could be a lag spike none the less.... He got a double shot off through a window at a distance(I was un buffed) , then cloaked to come see if I was 1) Dead, 2) Alone.....
He is still cloaked, walks in I die,he sexes me and stuff..... (I am a good looking gal, even though I am a monk).
3) Random killing bug, started in DOY area and moving south as winter is comming

Will monitor this and see if it happens again.

icarium
24-09-03, 12:34
i thin kits just a bug/ lag, sometimes people appear to be where they arent. for example last night i was in caves PPUing, the guy i am ppuing (to me) was stood in a side cave facing a wall and shooting the wall even tho what he was shooting was out in the corridoor, he was taking damage off mobs that i couldnt see and to me he shouldnt have been taking dmg from, i actually had to res him bcoz i thought he was safely in cover and he wasnt (to him)

ericdraven
24-09-03, 12:40
Originally posted by icarium
i thin kits just a bug/ lag, sometimes people appear to be where they arent. for example last night i was in caves PPUing, the guy i am ppuing (to me) was stood in a side cave facing a wall and shooting the wall even tho what he was shooting was out in the corridoor, he was taking damage off mobs that i couldnt see and to me he shouldnt have been taking dmg from, i actually had to res him bcoz i thought he was safely in cover and he wasnt (to him)
Yes, i can confirm things like this.
Is it my imagination or do they appear more often recently? o_O

Richard Slade
24-09-03, 12:41
Originally posted by ericdraven
Yes, i can confirm things like this.
Is it my imagination or do they appear more often recently? o_O

They do and for a reason.
You better ask a Mod or GM if u wanna know though.