PDA

View Full Version : Reducing the rare tech pool...

RayBob
21-09-03, 21:09
Many have complained that there are too many useless rares and I agree. They are polluting the tech pool. I am NOT in favor of increasing the tech drop rate, just cleaning it up.

I suggest that the 3 slot enhancers be sold in stores (say 50K, 100K, and 200K for the 1, 2, and 3 slot enhancers respectively). They can’t be used on rares anyhow so it is not a big deal.

The regular (non-holy) antibuff and catharsis should be sold in stores or eliminated entirely. I doubt that even one single monk uses these, they are terrible.

The pistol and tank freezer weapons are sold in stores and yet the rifle and melee freezers are rares? These should be sold in stores also.

That is 39 (I think) techs that could be eliminated.

I also don’t understand the entire rare drone concept. If an item is BPable then it isn’t a rare. Just sell the damn Nemesis and Punisher in stores and eliminate another 12 useless techs.

Did I forget any?

Shadow Dancer
21-09-03, 21:13
Yea remove holy para. ;p

Seriously, I think alot of the melee rares should be storebrought, monster dropped, or perhaps actually made WORTHY of beign a rare so that they won't be useless parts in a pool.

Also Wyatt Earp, etc...

All the really underpowered rares need to be fixed in power or dropped from the pool.

And I couldn't possibly agree more about the lame NORMAL antibuff and catharsis spells.

Jaggeh
21-09-03, 21:38
drones = 13 tp
punisher as an additional hull

when built from bp they cap at 80%, big difference from a parts made one which caps at 120%

KidWithStick
21-09-03, 22:07
remove holy para while your at it. it only ruins the game for others other than the PPU.

KidWithStick
21-09-03, 22:10
also they can make wyatt earp store bought, and researchable. botht he paws store bought and researchable. all non holy rares store bought...etc. basically all the shitty, un-usable rares store bought

Judge
21-09-03, 22:35
I think that KK know there is a problem and they are trying out a new system on the test server as we speak. However I must say that the new system (getting a book off a bos mob, which starts off a quest for the rare) is also flawed because a team did the caves, 20 runs and not a single book. It would be even worse in this case, a book should drop EVERY time the boss mob is killed, though the weapon that the book correlates too would be random.

QuantumDelta
21-09-03, 22:35
Mesa do this more methodically.
I agree with the topic starter, even if he hasn't got all his facts straight.
(Lupus, I know you're gonna wanna strangle me, because I know you probably have a plan to do something about all these, but this is how it has stood for awhile, just listing this for the people of the forum).
so;

TL 68 Paw of tiger 4 x L
TL 75 Vein ripper 4 x L
TL 84 Blade of ceres 5 x L
TL 99 Paw of bear 5 x T

Though I suppose PoB is the best Low-Tech Rare Melee so there is possible cause to leave it in the loot pool, the others are pretty much useless.

TL 71 Electric tempest 4 x L
TL 94 Thunderbolt 5 x T
TL 103 Devils grace 6 x T

My comment is, pretty much this;
Make melee PvP Viable, or forget them in the loot pool, again, same goes for DG as for PoB, highest Hi-Tech Melee so maybe leave that.
...Why is ET/TB Even in the game though?

TL 88 Wyatt earp 5 x L

Fix it or fuck it your choice.

TL 105 Beam of hell 6 x T

Heh, this weapon is almost out performed by the tangent epic laser pistol.
Just.........................BLAH.

TL 113 Executioner 6 x E

...Uh right, the RoLH is far better than this weapon by a very long way, and it's 5 TLs lower.... only a pistol spy would be using this and even in their hands it's more or less useless.

TL 113 Slasher 6 x E

I can see what KK Tried to do with this weapon, it's meant to be the energy version of the liberator, rof 370 and roughly the same damage values.
Heh, it's actually pretty useless... Especially since only spies will be using it, and, even while it's 22 (!!!!!!!!!) TLs higher than the liberator, does LESS Damage.

TL 101 Thunderstorm 6 x T

As with the rare melee freezers, why is this weapon even around? it's useless, pathetic.

TL 110 Healing Light 6 x E

Heh, this weapon is kinda like the BoH, it needs it's damage increased, or it needs out... it's a rare, TL 110 rifle, that does less damage per burst than a liberator does (providing the liberator's full burst hits...)

TL 114 First love 6 x E

Wasn't really sure whether to include this weapon or not, but generally, the first love does not meet the expections I would prefer for what used to be the best rifle in the game, in terms of TL, and achievement, it needs some boostage in some way or another.... the cursed soul, 9 TLs lower, does significantly more damage and is easier to cap RoF on, it also doesn't need the aiming that FL Does.

TL 107 Malediction 6 x T
TL 115 Doom beamer 6 x E

I probably wont be too popular for these two choices either, same as the First Love, however, when you compare these weapons ....two weapons which I actually love, to a lower TL Weapon, the MoonStriker, which job is actually, the same.
These two weapons are inferior, and they're higher TL...!!!
To me, these two weapons need boostage, especially doom beamer, because at the moment DB is not worth the tech parts.

TL 102 Holy paralysis 6 x T

Yeap, we all want it gone.
Again, my suggestion of runcast shelter/deflector/single heal, the removal of Holy cath sanctum, and reduction in mana cost of Holy Catharsis should balance PPU a little better.

TL 103 Crahn Catharsis 6 x T

....wtf is the point of this spell.......-_-

TL 106 Crahn Holy True Sight Sanctum 6 x T

FIX THE RANGE OR GET RID OF IT
This spell makes a good excuse for stealthers, saying there's a counter to stealth but when you realise the range for this spell is SIX METERS .... it makes it WORTHLESS.

Same for Antipoison and Holy Catharsis if you're going to keep them in ..ffs, just do me a favour and up Antipoison sanctum to 10, maybe 15 m, true sight up to 20, maybe 25, holy catharsis up to 10, maybe 15m.

As it stands, sanctums with 6 meter range= teh useless except for total self defence.
Since True Sight doesn't even help any passive stat on the PPU at 6m range, it's the most worthless rare after Catharsis.

TL 102 Crahn Antibuff 6 x T

Same question I had for Catharsis.
Why............Just WHY is this here....?

Rare drones, should not, have ...7 parts is it? -_-

So, including the removal of additional hull from rare drones.
That's 106 Tech Parts that don't really serve a purpose due to one reason, or another.

Lethys
21-09-03, 22:42
One idea i put in a thread earlier was to have low level dungeons, with some of the crappy rares as the boss drops. The two examples i gave were:

Wyatt Earp: Make the aggie cellars into a full-blown dungeon with 2 or 3 floors, and at the end have a 100/100 Agressor Commander with a Wyatt.

Paw of Tiger: Have a "wolf cave" near the NC gates, with 60/60 to 80/80 wolves in it, and a 100/100 tiger boss at the end.

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with everything QD said.

Smugly
22-09-03, 00:18
Six meters is the range for True Sight? Jeeze I didn't realize it was so damn bad.

darkservent
22-09-03, 12:46
Lethys has a good point. Take all teh shitty rares and make some advanced bosses or mobs of predecessors like aggies to drop em. That way ppl who want those rares goto certain mobs where as USEFUL rares are dropped by Wbs and well fire mobs. One other thing increase the rare drop on hoverbots cause there dam crap and useless to hunt. I get more techs from fire mobs than any other mob in the game.

extract
22-09-03, 13:02
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
TL 114 First love 6 x E

Wasn't really sure whether to include this weapon or not, but generally, the first love does not meet the expections I would prefer for what used to be the best rifle in the game, in terms of TL, and achievement, it needs some boostage in some way or another.... the cursed soul, 9 TLs lower, does significantly more damage and is easier to cap RoF on, it also doesn't need the aiming that FL Does.

thats because its a rifle not some huge overweighted shoulder mounted street-sweeper

I can understand why the FL does "slightly" not significantly less dmg than a CS, Im just still trying to figure out why it weighs more :confused:

but everything else is pretty much on point especially crahn catharsis and antibuff, I cant think of anyone who uses these high mana low RoF rares...

Lanigav
22-09-03, 13:07
Although I still think the drop rate should be increased instead of shrinking the tech pool, the idea of having missions or cave bosses dropping less desirable ones is good. They'd have to drop at perfect quality and have a decent chance for slots though, and there would have to be something to keep groups of Smurfs from camping those areas.

GurTjaN
22-09-03, 13:16
agreed i got 3/4 melee parts yesterday a vein ripper thunderbolt COMPLETELY USELESS i mean cmon this makes me pissed clean up that mess

LTA
22-09-03, 13:47
i think lower tl rares with boss mobs, the boss mobs should be lower in level say 60/60 etc so that lower leveled ppl have a chance to.
Instead of just ultimatly saying anyone under rank <?> shouldn't bother because they will die easily etc, it gives lower levels a little taste of caving to.

KRIMINAL99
23-09-03, 05:26
Ok... Melee is PVP viable.. you cankill a CS using tank with a tl 55 laserblade simply because you can run around them hitting them constantly without them hitting you indefinitely if you are good with melee. A second person vs in the mix reduces a melee users chances drastically but hey... Second the melee shockers are definitely viable since you can use the best with just imps even as a Heavy user and it freezes more effectively than any non parashock, AND requires no aiming.

The moon striker is way to unpredictable and the other two have uses over it simply for that fact. I believe the Doom Beamer has a bigger area of effect than Malediction which makes it better for leveling I guess. A first love doesnt miss as much from range as the cs does. And if a APU has the psi pool required Antibuff gives a small window of oppurtunity to kill a PPU when you concentrate fire on him right after. It requires tactics to be useful...

Nasher
23-09-03, 12:58
a book should drop EVERY time the boss mob is killed, though the weapon that the book correlates too would be random.

Then it wouldnt be very RARE would it.

\\Fényx//
23-09-03, 13:02
Originally posted by Nasher
Then it wouldnt be very RARE would it.

what the hell is rare in neocron though ? Other than a damn legend like the belt of zargerus, There is feck all that is rare, 2 days ago, I looked through my parts, went on a trading spree and got the following built in 1 day.

3 slot doombeamer
2 slot moonstriker
2 slot malediction
4 slot liberator
1 slot and 2 slot Cursed Souls
3 slot ray of god
Special Forces
0.9 and 2x 1.5 slotenhancers

Yea, rare rares eh... Ontop of that im 1 part from another mal and 2 from another moon.

RAB
23-09-03, 13:11
point well made there I think.

we need some new uber rares which wear out really quick and are ... well... RARE !
So wount be seen that often and even if you get one it wont last too long so will need to be kept for special occasions.

MjukisDjur
23-09-03, 14:21
Make separate pools instead... Wbs etc one pool, mc5 one, fire mobs another etc etc. Poor idea?

Mjukis

\\Fényx//
23-09-03, 14:22
Originally posted by MjukisDjur
Make separate pools instead... Wbs etc one pool, mc5 one, fire mobs another etc etc. Poor idea?

Mjukis

Leads to camping of the main spawn points.

Nasher
23-09-03, 14:30
Yea we dont need another MC5 command center :/

MisterP
23-09-03, 14:35
Did KK actually call them "rares". Or was that the community naming them. I think they're known in-game as "techparts" :eek: :eek: (Its just the drop-rate that is rare, hence their name) Is this right?

SamuraiPizzaCat
23-09-03, 14:51
From what ive seen different zones drop different parts.

Nazgul
23-09-03, 14:56
Omg melee Pvp viable? Never seen it tried really only for mess abouts, cant really see it working in OP wars, the tank would be long dead before he gets anywhere near an APU:p

MjukisDjur
23-09-03, 17:48
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
Leads to camping of the main spawn points.

*cannot see the problem*
Gabanium and cycrow are allready being camped.

Viduus[JBX]
23-09-03, 18:05
Personally, I think the whole rare setup on NC is completely wrong, period.

*knows this is a pointless post, and expects the flames*

FIRST of all, what RL company do you know that makes and sells everyday items *and then makes a dozen "so-called" rare varieties?

Rare is a word that means "uncommon", "difficult to locate", "unique".

So a store selling "rare" weapons must, by definition, be a specialty shop -- YO's should sell rares, the manufacturers should not.

So where should these rares come from?

Simple: JoeBagODonuts is a BP-maker, so you bring him your weap that's been modded (say 3 free slots) -- he's got TL160 so he figures out how to incorporate 2/3 slots into the design, leaving you with a BP of a drastically improved weap that still has 3 free slots -- you then bring that to a contructor with TL 160 and HE figures that the BP maker overlooked some possibilities, so he figures out how to add another slot to the gun, while at the same time improving the general design -- making you a weap with 4 free slots, improved range/damage/handling, and perfect condition....

Thereby making rares exactly that -- completely customized weaps.

NC has the capability to do this, but skirts it completely.

The only other source for rares should be, of course, mob drops *that make sense*. A nomad preacher dropping a rare spell makes sense, but of course it would need to be limited in TL, since the mob must have been using it in the first place. (that is, of course, the definition of loot).

Killing an NPC should be lootable - and possibly finding a BP for a cool "custom" item or prototype or something to that effect would make sense... it would make obtaining it costly, as well as a rare event, since of course most* employees or "citizens" wouldn't have those kinds of things in their possesion.

The current "rare" system is a joke... there's a set # of findable items/BPs, usable by a set # of classes, found or built under a set # of circumstances... thereby meaning there's nearly no uniqueness to it, and "everybody" can have the same items. I would love to hear how that makes something "rare"...?

Anyhow.

The above scenario would mean a lot of adjustment for the players and a turdload of work for the programmers -- that we'd never see.

It just seems to make more sense to me than a company "producing" rare items... which is contradictory. If it's mass-produced, it simply isn't rare. Period.

Shadow Dancer
23-09-03, 18:06
Originally posted by KRIMINAL99
And if a APU has the psi pool required Antibuff gives a small window of oppurtunity to kill a PPU when you concentrate fire on him right after. It requires tactics to be useful...

There's no reason to have 2 rare antibuffs, that's just plain stupidity. Holy antibuff is the one that should be rare. Either remove normal antibuff or change both those spells around. For example antibuff can take away shelter/heal/deflect, and holy antibuff could take away all combat and resist buffs in addition.

MisterP
23-09-03, 18:21
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
There's no reason to have 2 rare antibuffs, that's just plain stupidity. Holy antibuff is the one that should be rare. Either remove normal antibuff or change both those spells around. For example antibuff can take away shelter/heal/deflect, and holy antibuff could take away all combat and resist buffs in addition.

Im not even a monk and even that makes sense

QuantumDelta
23-09-03, 18:22
Antibuff should be like the/one of the highest non-rares in the shop....

I think it's mana cost is a........tad too high ............... -_-
360 is beyond most peoples mana pools by a significant amount.

Disturbed021
23-09-03, 20:58
Would love to see the rare pool cleaned up.
Take all the crappy rares that are pretty much worthless and make them full weapons dropped by various boss mobs.

As someone suggested add a few more areas with boss mobs 100/100 Aggie Commander or something like that to drop one of the crappy rares fully built....might be some work but it would give more areas to hunt which imo = more fun:D