PDA

View Full Version : Co-op mode in multiplayer

Mirco
21-09-03, 13:46
Hey.

I just tried the Judge Dredd demo and as i quit the ad said something like: Cooperation mode through the whole story.

It got me thinking, I havent played a good co-op game since serious sam and the coop mod for rune. Before that, quake, quake 2, Duke Nukem 3d and doom all had coop. Its a blast upping the diffculty and going through the story with a friend(s). Imagine playing as marines in AvP 1 and 2 with some friends. Imagine choking someone in Jedi Academy and having your friend jumping up to saber the poor guy as you keep him elevated in mid-air(I havent played retail yet, but the ad in the demo didnt say coop).

Anyone know why there is so few games with coop-modes or is it just that noone miss them but me??

Tazo
21-09-03, 13:48
i dont know why there is so little coop either... i guess analysts "found out" that CS has no coop mode, so coop mode must be something unwanted.

by the way, ghost recon has a cool coop mode.

Mirco
21-09-03, 13:50
by the way, ghost recon has a cool coop mode.

Come to think of it so has Raven Shield.

Tazo
21-09-03, 13:52
well, the award of "Best Coop Game that doesn't have a Coop Mode" still goes to Deus Ex...

everytime I think about an imaginary Deus Ex Coop Mode, I instinctively grab my pants.

wait, did i say that out loud? :eek:

J. Folsom
21-09-03, 13:52
I think there's little to no co-op modes available in games due to the market's (misguided) believe that most gamers are lone teenage males sitting in dark rooms.

Or to put it differently; marketing thinks it's a waste of time to make game include a co-op mode, thus the publishers say to developers "What, all you haven't finished is the co-op mode? Who cares about that, no gamers can work together!" then publish the game despite it's unfinished feature.

Tazo
21-09-03, 13:56
Originally posted by J. Folsom
I think there's little to no co-op modes available in games due to the market's (misguided) believe that most gamers are lone teenage males sitting in dark rooms.

Or to put it differently; marketing thinks it's a waste of time to make game include a co-op mode, thus the publishers say to developers "What, all you haven't finished is the co-op mode? Who cares about that, no gamers can work together!" then publish the game despite it's unfinished feature.
:lol: so true.

kinda reminds me of CDV...

reporter: "Dear CDV employee, why was Neocron advertised so poorly?"
CDV: "Vell, I am hatink ze Neocron!"
reporter: "Fair enough. But what about all those gamers that like it?"
CDV: "Yoo see, I am also hatink ze gamers!"
reporter: "I see. I will just run away from you really really fast now!"
CDV: "I am hatink you!"

Genty
21-09-03, 13:59
Operation Flashpoint had a pritty good co-op. Well, I and many others enjoyed many hours of killing together with it. :D

HellHound
21-09-03, 14:03
Okay, I'll bite: where did you get the demo from? :mad:

@Tazo - IIRC, I'm almost certain there is a patch for Deus Ex out there somewhere, complete with co-op mode. :D

Edit: Dredd demo's at fileplanet, it wasn't there yesterday. :rolleyes:

Cubico
21-09-03, 14:14
Hi,

yes, Operation Flashpoint ...
You drive vehicles like tanks and helicopters together also.

Tazo
21-09-03, 14:14
Originally posted by HellHound
@Tazo - IIRC, I'm almost certain there is a patch for Deus Ex out there somewhere, complete with co-op mode. :D
nope. http://coop.deus-ex.org thats the only project there was, they finished just one level (which never appeared in SP, btw), and it was buggy as hell.
:(

Siygess
21-09-03, 21:25
Well since I love Co-op games, I'll just go through my games collection and reel em' off..

Delta Force 1,2,Land Warrior and BHD (with the mod)
Baldurs Gate I & II inc. Throne of Bhaal.
Neverwinter Nights
Aliens Vs Predator II (with the mod)
System Shock 2 (fully patched)
Raven Shield
Abomination: The Nemesis Project
Doom and Doom 2
Quake + Quake 2
Diablo + Diablo 2
Dungeon Siege
Heavy Gear II (but I could be wrong)

Those are just the games where you can play through the single player campaign with more than one person.. there are of course many, many games where you and some friends can fight against the computer in stand-alone missions or maps. Also, I believe Halo PC will feature a Co-Op mode, but I have heard rumours that the feature may have been dropped.

Ikon
21-09-03, 21:30
Dungeon Siege, and Neverwinter Nights: I loathed those two games by themselves, but I spent MANY hours playing co-op on them.

Imagine if Morrowind had co-op:eek:

Heavyporker
21-09-03, 21:35
Hmm... why would co-op be difficult to handle? Basically it'd be like a LAN game, right? OR something. I dunno.

Coop sounds to me to be like a pared down multiplayer version...

Perhaps if someone did basic co-op and integration software, they'd get richer then heck selling them to modding people.

Smugly
22-09-03, 00:45
I think the problem with Co-Op games is balancing them. Even in Neocron you can see just how quickly big mobs go down with groups attacking them. Thus you need to provide more targets or stronger ones to balance out the extra guns/blades/nunchucks the player team now has.

Also, Co-Op often involved going through the games story. Imagine Deus Ex co-op:

JC DENTON #1: Well, it's obvious to me. The world will only be free when I have become a God.
JC DENTON #2: No, that's a bad idea. We need to destroy all technology. Only then will we have true freedom from conspiracy.
JC #1: I wish you'd just shut up. "I'" am the Hero here!
JC #2: No "I" am! (Pulls GEP Gun)

Heavyporker
22-09-03, 01:32
Ok, ok... I see the point. But maybe make it so that there's an extra character or two (that don't get involved in the storyline themselves - like, a random cop that's been assigned to you to help... the guy hosting the game gets to be the main char or something) so co-op works without destroying the storyline.