PDA

View Full Version : Researching - Is it too harsh?

Mankind
21-09-03, 00:02
I've had my tl 175 researcher for quite some time now and noticed alot of things.

1)It's very expensive.
2)I still fail quite often.
3)I get yelled at too much.

Now I'll go into depth a little bit with the previous statements...

1)The expenses. For a non-barter researcher, it costs about 7,700 cr for 1 giant pack of research substance from Crytons. If you get a job for 5 Particle Nemesis drones, the most you can make out of the giant pack of research substance is about 4. Each drone takes about 40-50 substance from you. This doesn't even count the FAILURES which I will bring up later. Now for a customer, they could tip you 5k a drone (which is what I charge) and that's a perfectly fine tip. But, if you are the droner or have a friend who is a droner you probably won't get a tip unless you charge your friends. The drones were just an example. This applies to many other things as well such as "expensive" tech part, TL 90+ weapons, etc. I'm very glad that the Constructor Club only charges 4,500 cr; that's a start I suppose.

2)The failure. For specializing in Research, and constantly doing it every day, I often fail when doing particular things. Let's get back to the drone example. I'm a TL 175 Researcher. Particle Nemesis' are TL 116. I made 20 bps of a Particle Nemesis last night for someone. It costed me 8 giant packs of research substance. It would've have costed 5-6 with less failures. I don't want to seem like a bitching complainer, but it really makes me feel like specializing doesn't even matter when it comes to researching. It makes me think the only good thing about having a high TL in research is better for tech parts. What is more odd, is that I never fail "expensive" tech parts and "lowtech" techparts. But I fail a "technology" tech part every 30-50 parts. Even with a Lab, I still get the same results. With a Lab I'm 225 Research. Now if that isn't specialization I don't know what is.

3)People are untrustful. Yes, not in particular towards me, but towards researchers as a whole. Unless they are your clan mates or good friends that you know, you most likely will questioned about your reliablity. I for one got a guy telling me his life story the other night because he was new to Saturn and didn't know if he could trust me. He told me I should put an ad in NEMA. I shouldn't have to. Researchers need buisness cards. Simple pieces of paper that cost 50cr at Crytons, and you can stamp them with a stamping item that shows your tradeskill. Then you can throw them at will in Plaza 1 or give them to a customer. It's terrible when someone can't trust a Researcher. I want the buisness just as much as you want your job done. The only thing I suggest to people is that if you cannot trust a tradeskiller make your own (4 character servers), because I for one am getting tired of people not trusting me. And even if you get buisness, and you don't research the "right" part someone wants, you'll get yelled at all night by he/she and their 10 friends accusing you of switching parts. Buisness cards...buisness cards...buisness cards.

I don't know if this applies to constructors the same way or any tradeskiller in any other profession, but I really would like to see some of these changes made (price, specialization, buisness cards), or at least considered.

Thanks.

Smugly
21-09-03, 01:17
The biggest problem in Tradeskilling is the general public. Don't get into the habbit of thinking you're doing them a service. Take this for instance. Yesterday I started offering Plaza 3 Appartments for 290K since I'm a TL 157 (Buffed 160) Barterer. Since it's Pluto, Barterer's are sufficiently rare. Anyhow. That would have made me 15K profit. Not a great deal considering I'd sell one like every hour tops.

THEN some fool has the nerve to offer me 200K for it. What the hell? I don't think ANYBODY can buy a Plaza 3 Appartment for 200K. His highest offer was 280K to which I politely told him to shove it. I'm not standing on this damp lamp post allday for 5K profit an hour. Getcherown Discount Appartments.

Now, as a Barterer I don't have to worry about my skill failing or anything like that. And as a Researcher I can't even play with the new toys my skill brings me. As a tradeskill, I'd say Research is the worst to do. It's boring and has poor rewards. If KK truly care about the dedicated part of it's community that can be arsed with this cruel and merciless task, the least they could do is get rid of failures.

Q`alooaith
21-09-03, 01:21
I hate loggin my researcher..

Simply because, when people I know ask me to ress, they often don't tip enough, and other stuff like that..

I did some APC BP's now not failing very often, but still took a time and a fair bit of lube, so I charged my normal rate for such a job and got yelled at...

Research should be changed, so either it's more usefull, but still as hard, or easyer without any more usefullness..

General Crazy
21-09-03, 01:27
Research is one the most costly and most time consuming trade skills out there.

Improvements that would very helpful

1)Make Researching more like constructing in it gives same XP (INT, DEX and STR)

2)Change the Skill from Research: 0.3(30%) INT + 0.7(70%) RES to Research: 0.25(25%) DEX + 0.1(10%) INT + 0.6(60%) RES so it matching construction

3)Give it a small speed increase compared to construction

4)Make It so Rares part DO NOT every get destroyed but will still fail depending on skill

5)What would be nice is a Researcher Chip like the Construction chips because you can only use one Backbone at a time and there don't give a lot of a bonus

6)Make Research Substance cost half as much as Construction Gel

Trust problem is you get a few idiots who ruin it for the rest of us