PDA

View Full Version : Psi Module Questions, Ask Jack

JackScratch
20-09-03, 02:30
OK, NC is over 1 year old and I have spent every second of that time as a psi monk of one type or another, so if you have a Psi Module question, ask away, and Ill answer, Ive used just about every one of them.

Sleawer
20-09-03, 02:33
Handling in psi modules affect anything?

JackScratch
20-09-03, 02:37
Not that I have noticed, but the higher you get your percentages on a module, the better the actual handleing will be. Shoot for that 576%

Lucjan
20-09-03, 02:44
On what does run cast really depend, what are all the factors to consider?

Heavyporker
20-09-03, 03:30
high APU (damage % on the spell), high rof - my opinion is, the faster you can cast that spell, the better your chances of getting it off.

JackScratch
20-09-03, 04:13
What he said. Its been my experience that you need to get your percentages up. Right click a module and select "show info" the third box down on the info box "details" contains Damage and Aiming. You need to get these to 576%. Best way to do that is to get your APU/PPU as high as you can get it. Sacrifice a lot of PPW, itll help. My PPW is 82 and thats with a ton of Imp help. Also keep your MST right at the requirement of your highest module, dont waste points on it. As far a slotting help for runcast its hard to say, what ever you do, its not going to change anything enough to runcast. Hope this helps.

bounty
20-09-03, 04:19
Jackscratch is the Dr. Ruth of Psi monk questions.

Lucjan
20-09-03, 04:26
Originally posted by JackScratch
What he said. Its been my experience that you need to get your percentages up. Right click a module and select "show info" the third box down on the info box "details" contains Damage and Aiming. You need to get these to 576%. Best way to do that is to get your APU/PPU as high as you can get it. Sacrifice a lot of PPW, itll help. My PPW is 82 and thats with a ton of Imp help. Also keep your MST right at the requirement of your highest module, dont waste points on it. As far a slotting help for runcast its hard to say, what ever you do, its not going to change anything enough to runcast. Hope this helps.

But something seems to be still missing. Lets take a PE for example, he caps the TL3 heal at 576%, RoF is 52/min. He still can't runcast it.

Mankind
20-09-03, 04:34
Originally posted by Lucjan
But something seems to be still missing. Lets take a PE for example, he caps the TL3 heal at 576%, RoF is 52/min. He still can't runcast it.

Yup that is very weird.

ZoneVortex
20-09-03, 04:36
Originally posted by Lucjan

You can runcast it, but not in a straight line. You have to run side to side to runcast a heal spell. Even monks do.

Mankind
20-09-03, 04:40
Originally posted by ZoneVortex
You can runcast it, but not in a straight line. You have to run side to side to runcast a heal spell. Even monks do.

Yeah but I've seen APU monks going in straight lines. Maybe they have over 600%, but it's still been seen. It should be the same with every spell.

Shadow Dancer
20-09-03, 04:43
The higher your damage percent on a spell, the more "move space" you have to cast.

Imagine a small unseen circle around you that dictates how far you can move while casting. It would barely be open at all if you had low damage percent on your spell, but higher damage percent means it gets bigger. Now that's why RoF affects run/casting. Because if you run and the spell takes too long to cast then you will run out of this "circle" and miscast the spell. That's why I can run/cast holy antibuff for like the first second and a half then it fizzles. Or I could move side to side or around a little in a circle and move/cast it.

JackScratch
20-09-03, 05:08
OK, First of all those stats max at 576%, you got that that's it. Secon, I didnt think a PE could max any psi module, but OK, third, if you did, and you cant runcast, I think you should check your ROF, just cause those 2 stats are at 576% doesnt mean that your ROF is as high as it can get, if what I have been reading, and it makes sence, is true, then you have one but not the other, get a slotted heal and put every frequencey mod on it you can and see what that does, if it goes up, chances are you arent as high as you need to get it and thats why you cant runcast. I offered to help people here and it seems Im learning as well. Ill do a little experimenting myself and see if I can get some different outcomes that tell us what we need to knoe. Im leveling a low rank PPU on Saturn now, so I have someplace to go. It just so happens that I noticed last night that I maxxed my Holyparashockbolt in both aiming and damage, but Im no where near on the ROF, though I would swear I can runcast, but that may veri with modules. Feel free to do the same, and please post your results.

Shadow Dancer
20-09-03, 05:10
Damage cap for apu spells is 648%.

Q`alooaith
20-09-03, 05:56
PSU helps runcasting..

JackScratch
20-09-03, 05:57
and you base that on.....?

Shadow Dancer
20-09-03, 05:59
and you base that on.....?

PSU affecting rof, and rof affecting run/casting. :p

JackScratch
20-09-03, 06:08
no, I mean where did you get that info?

Sleawer
20-09-03, 06:19
what info?

Q`alooaith
20-09-03, 06:20
no, I mean where did you get that info?

where do you get your info......

I'm no newb, I play, I tested many setup's and I can tell you, more PSU = easer to runcast

with no PSU, it take's many more APU/PPU points to runcast a given spell..

Play for a bit as a monk and don't spec any PSU...

PPW also effect's runcasting..

Sleawer
20-09-03, 06:24
Everything that affects damage % on spells and RoF, is affecting runcasting in an indirect way... there is not mistery about this.

Q`alooaith
20-09-03, 06:33
Originally posted by Sleawer
Everything that affects damage % on spells and RoF, is affecting runcasting in an indirect way... there is not mistery about this.

But this also proves that I am right...

PSU affect's damage and range and maybe RoF anyway, so does PPW..

these give boost's that can make runcasting easyer..

I'd say more PPW upto 85 nat is good start..

Shadow Dancer
20-09-03, 06:34
More ppw than 75 base is a waste.

PSU only affects rof, range, and uhh I think something else that escapes me ATM but not damage.

Sleawer
20-09-03, 06:36
I have more than 75 base ppw Shadow, and it's not a waste believe me.

Shadow Dancer
20-09-03, 06:47
Originally posted by Sleawer
I have more than 75 base ppw Shadow, and it's not a waste believe me.

It is to me. PM me your "arguement" if you think you can convince me otherwise. :p

Heavyporker
20-09-03, 07:15
Shadow... if you got that APU kami chip, you'd cap your HL then load up all the PPW you could get ^ ^

I most likely would myself.

Q`alooaith
20-09-03, 07:24
hell if I could get the kami chip I'd lom out my resist's almost totaly, just use armor for that stuff..

+40 APU, but mega malus...

anyway, PPW, you need it more it is better to hit your target for 40 damage five time's than 45 four times...

Bigger pool, and a little big more damage, the bigger pool means your able to hit more often without popping a booster.. and you can pop booster's still..

Shadow Dancer
20-09-03, 07:25
The kami chip itself can replace all imps and PA.

And no PPU penalty. Imagine casting damage boost with a capped HL. :eek:

Heavyporker
20-09-03, 07:26
I agree, Q'alooaith...

But the rof is something of an issue with me, since my monk hacks ( a critical skill to me) so I don't have the PSU to really push the frequency up for me...

JackScratch
20-09-03, 09:38
OK, First of all, you guys need to read the post by Lupus, on stats effects. Frequency is effected by APU/PPU 40% and PSU 40%, Damage is effected by APU/PPU 65% and PPW 35% and its given as a ratio effect. The math is a little complicated, but you can see the numbers pretty clearly. And for those of you who are thinking it, no there doesnt have to be 100% so dont go looking for it, its a ratio. Any effects beynd that would have to be tested. PPW does have an effect, less than PPU/APU. PSU has an equal effect. However what they effect is Damage and Frequency, which intern effect handleing. Where did I get my Facts, experience and a GM's post. Prety good sources as far as Im concerned, but then no one is forceing you to take my advise.

JackScratch
20-09-03, 09:42
Oh and BTW as far as getting more damage from PPW than PPU/APU, that's wrong. Not matter of opinion wrong. Proven fact wrong. Damage = 65% APU/PPU + 35% PPW
65%>35% therefore APU/PPU>PPW
Once again these stats taken from Lupus' post on stat effect.

FBI
20-09-03, 09:49
runcasting depends on stats of a spell (capped) and your monks
run speed. For example, I can't runcast holyheal if i'm going my
normal speed 45atl, 80agl).. but if i'm getting poked or if something
is in construction, i can run cast.

So these factors let you runcast...

Obviously, capped 576% damage,aim and freq helps alot.

Moderate runspeed, the higher you cap the spell, the faster you
can move to runcast ie if you barely cap the spell it won't be
as good, sometimes fail runcasts.

Runspeed / TL of spell

Anyway this is what i noticed from testing..results i can see.

FBI

mdares
20-09-03, 09:59
Oh and BTW as far as getting more damage from PPW than PPU/APU, that's wrong. Not matter of opinion wrong. Proven fact wrong. Damage = 65% APU/PPU + 35% PPW
65%>35% therefore APU/PPU>PPW
Once again these stats taken from Lupus' post on stat effect.

sd (or whoever) means skill point economics:

say for a certain spell each apu point gives 3 dmg%, each ppw point gives 1.5 dmg%: at less than 50 apu, u'd be getting more dmg % per skill point investment by dumping into apu than ppw; however if say at 75 apu and your deciding to go up, u will need 3 skill points for 3%; where as for 50 or less ppw, u need only 2 points for 3%... so in that scenario u would be better off "getting more for your points" by investing in ppw...

and sd's point about not having more than 75 base ppw is (in my experience) valid; i've used that since day one and have gotten lotsa people to do the same because over all it just works better... (and since u cap psi pool at roughly 120 ppw, with imps, i still get 110 ppw which means my pool can almost be capped.) u get more dmg by investing into apu after 75 ppw; and thats all that matters because if as an apu u cant dmg anything, then u sux0rs :D

JackScratch
20-09-03, 22:58
I see what you are saying, and it is a very valid point. Im assumeing that at the levels we are talking about the individual is going to have to have a significant ammount of PPW just to cast the module (PPU not withstanding). I myself have very close to 75 natural, though I should say, your math was off. If PPW cost you 2 points but PPU/APU costs you 3 but you get double the effect from PPU/APU then APU/PPU is still the better value.

Heavyporker
20-09-03, 23:11
Still, once your APU is at 125 - about the max necessary for most APU spells, THEN you better seriously consider putting the rest of your points in PPW...

5 points for 1 APU vs. 3 for 1 PPW... seriously, let's do that math.

mdares
21-09-03, 00:14
but at that point porker, u'll have with imps around 150+ apu; tthen u'd be going for the specialization bonus which gives + 30-50% dmg on that one point, then 15%, then 12, then 10, and soforth till it goes down to 5% again. (tested with HL)

JackScratch
21-09-03, 00:15
Seriously, I will. Im as interested in a correct answer as you are. I can tell you that after the last patch I did a lot of LOMing and I can tell you that as I moved PPW points to PPU my percentages kept going up and up. I finaly stopped where I thought I would have enough pool, sadly, I came way short of truesight sanctum. Im hopeing the crahn glove will come out soon and fix that, but what can you do?