PDA

View Full Version : [OT] audio-cd copyright protection problem

Opiate
19-09-03, 19:08
I just got the new album of A Perect Circle (http://www.aperfectcircle.com) and it's brilliant, but....

...this damn copyright protection is seriously pissing me off. It's not even the fact that I can't make a copy to leave in my car, but the fact that I hear the artifacts of the encoding in the music :(

I hear a few glitches on my normal stereo (Philips DVD -player), but when I tried to play the CD on my CD-ROM player at work, the result was horrible :mad:

I'm seriously thinking of bringing the CD back, I'm a perfectionist, so I want "perfect" quality for my "perfect circle" CD :D

Anyone noticed these kind of glitches before on a copyrighted CD? They sound just like dust or a small scratch (which it's not, as a mate of mine has exactly the same phenomenon)

Phiberdelic
19-09-03, 19:11
[ edited for violation of the forum rules ]

BTW...should we be discussing potential copyright infringement techniques on a forum that logged IP addresses....Onoz I think I hear MPAA coming ....RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/Nid's edit - No you shouldn't. You'll get in trouble with us before you get in trouble with them.

Kazuko
19-09-03, 19:16
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - advocating piracy]

Ikon
19-09-03, 19:27
The RIAA thanks you for your purchase

Kazuko
19-09-03, 19:37
Perfect Circle = Virgin Records, virgin records are a member of the RIAA :/

Possessed
19-09-03, 19:39
Originally posted by Opiate
I can't make a copy to leave in my car,

I thought you were a bike nut:wtf: ;)

jernau
19-09-03, 19:45
Take it back and get your money.

If they complain tell them it's not a CD at all as it's not Red-Book compliant. Point out that the lack of compliance may have damaged your equipment and that they would have been liable.

If they continue to complain (and you are in the UK) tell them you will be taking it up with Trading Standards and the local press. If you are elsewhere I'm sure there is a similar organisation.

These non-CDs are not only poor quality, they are also technically illegal. Turn their own weapons against them and this one's easy to win though.

If they can't offer you a proper copy on a real CD then download it from the net (I leave the decision on whether you pay or not up to you).

msdong
19-09-03, 19:53
simple option:
write a mail to the record company and ask for a non protected CD.
most times you can get an unprotectet.
dont forget to use a cool language put some facts about not playing on u CD and stuff and that this may be the last CD u get from their lable because u dont want to TRY their other copy protections.

Mankind
19-09-03, 20:04

jernau
19-09-03, 20:09
Originally posted by Mankind
[ edited ]

DVDs had copy protection designed in from the start. They got very upset when it turned out to be shit. They also have an illegal market fixing system on DVDs. It's amazing how many laws you can break if you pay the crooks that write them.:mad:

Nidhogg
19-09-03, 22:10
Piracy is illegal and discussion of piracy is expressly forbidden on these forums. The topic is the quality of music CDs that use encryption mechanisms and the next time it strays out of bounds it will be closed. There may be further repercussions from these edits as piracy is a serious breach of the forum rules.

N