PDA

View Full Version : Homeworld 2 is out, whats your take?

Spy<VS>Spy
19-09-03, 15:22
for those of you who made a specail trip to the PC shop before the weekend you might have scooped up the sequal to homeworld. after a very long time waiting it shot itself into the marking, drifting like a lone star in one of the more dim periods of PC releasing...i mean, september? but regardless its the highlight of the month for most and probably that nice little something to keep your PC happy while you wait for the more pressing titles due the end of the year.

for those new or long times fans, what do you think about it so far? just getting into the story myself, i found that while the orginal i happly played the epic single player compiegn, i did the oppisite and jumped right into the multiplayer first.

While i greatly enjoy the game so far, its graphicly stunning, i was surprised to get some slow down in the first intro level but havnt so far in any multi player maps. the rich graphics and ambient sound is very nice and the sound effects from the turning guns or fighters whipping by your cap ship while you are zoomed in over the hum of the engines...its nice.

the imploding effects and lighting are great. the specail effects are pretty darn spiffy, i think the gameplay has been inriched allot too, my biggest problem with the first one was that the two factions where pretty much identical...but there are much more differences between the two which makes online play more enjoyable.

all in all, i'm impressed. its everything a perfect stragity game should be, like it was before...but with a more tactical feel and engaging atmosphere.

hinch
19-09-03, 15:24
i gave up after not being able to do mission 3 in the solo campaign on homeworld 1 i really wanted to get past it cos it looks ace but i just couldnt do it so i didnt and deleted it as such couldnt be arsed checking out hw2

Sinead O'Connor
19-09-03, 15:28
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - spamming. Read the stickies, please... ]

X Kitty X
19-09-03, 15:29
I may get it after payday! I played the demo and it is amazing. Bit confusing at first playing in three dimensions but once you have the hang of it its brilliant. Agree with you about the graphics, they are stunning. I thought I was watching a cutscene but moved my mouse and was "Oh my god!"

SilentGravity
19-09-03, 15:58
Its pretty much Homeworld1 the basics of the game are the same besides afew changes which I will explain later, but before I start my long rant if you want a short awnser, if you liked Homeworld1 you will like Homeworld2.

Every ship has changed, you have a much wider range of ships.

The biggest difference is that before building a type of ship on the mothership you MUST build a subsystem like a "fighter subsystem" to build Interceptors or Bombers, this subsystem is part of the ship and you can see it, the enemy can just ONLY attack a subsystem to disable a ability instead of blowing up a whole ship. There are different types of subsystems besides from building for exameple, research labs are part of the ship like in Catacylsm (but you can only research one thing as once and a big difference is researching costs money!), you can upgrade the sensors.

That is pretty much it.

Hell-demon
19-09-03, 22:20
Hang on did he say its out?:eek:

SHEEEET!

I better get moving to PC WORLD!

Rob01m
19-09-03, 22:48
It's also a lot harder than the first game.

I'm on mission 7 currently, some tricky missions I've encountered were 3,4, and 6 so far, but 7 doesn't seem so bad.

My major complaint is that when you complete your objectives, you IMMEDIATELY hyperspace out, leaving no time to build up your fleet for the next mission. It may be realistic as you're being chased this time, but still this makes things much harder.

Moose-Alini
19-09-03, 22:54
Any idea how well this runs n WineX?

FuzzyDuck
20-09-03, 00:34
what country you in SPY<VS>SPY? I'm in the UK and it's not out for another 2 weeks here according to www.game.uk.com =(. IF it's out now I'll get the bus right away and spend my hard earned student loan.:cool:

Xian
20-09-03, 01:55
Originally posted by hinch
i gave up after not being able to do mission 3 in the solo campaign on homeworld 1 i really wanted to get past it cos it looks ace but i just couldnt do it so i didnt and deleted it as such couldnt be arsed checking out hw2

Was that the one with that white set of ships that just absolutely swarm your ships and slaughter them? I remember that being one of the earlier levels and laughing at the seemingly stupid difficulty jump from the previous level, lol.

I'm going to borrow a copy of HW2 before I consider buying it.. I'm not so sure at the moment.

Wyked
20-09-03, 03:13
HW2 is harder, but each mission up until 12-14 is actually fairly easy if you can develope a decent strategy for them.

J a y
20-09-03, 05:18
I have the demo right now (going to buy retail soon). but i was playing homeworld 1 while downloading the demo to 2 and its amazing how much more detail they added. my faverate thing is fighters and corvettes bild in squads (cost alot but not to bad). to bad demo only gives some fighters/corvettes carriers and fragates. i wanted to see the destroyer ;/. but damn the game is a blast.

mothership exlopsion is amazing (same with carriers). and carriers are sexy now, actualy look like one :D.

Q`alooaith
20-09-03, 05:53
Originally posted by Rob01m
My major complaint is that when you complete your objectives, you IMMEDIATELY hyperspace out, leaving no time to build up your fleet for the next mission. It may be realistic as you're being chased this time, but still this makes things much harder.

Dude, all you have to do on that mission is to not finish it untill you've made a nice fleet for yourself..... I had the same sorta problem with another gmae I played, where your team's get XP for killing shit... in one of the missions your meant to be getting overrun, but even on very hard setting's you can last untill your ammo run's out, and if you've planned right be at a reload station and get more ammo, and just keep fighting and getting XP..

So simple solution, don't do the mission untill your ready to..

FuzzyDuck
20-09-03, 10:13
arf according to everything I've read it's not out until the 26-sep in the UK, yet you guys have played it and your location is in the UK. Did you buy it from a store or was it imported or what?