PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings @ The Science Museum

ex-machina
19-09-03, 14:13
Who else has been/is going to see this?

I URGE ANYONE I DON'T CARE WETHER YOU ARE POOR, TO GO SEE THIS AWESOME EXHIBITION.

It's like a 3D, interactive, touchable DVD. They have loads of documentaries that look new, I don't recognise them from the DVDs, but awesome.

The stuff they have on display is so great. They have all the rings, the elven, dwarven and the rings of men. And a great room to show of the One Ring, suspended in water in the center.

They have the full size Sauron and a full size Ringwraith, and so much more. They also have things you can touch and shit.

It's really good, I really enjoyed it, altho at £9 it isn't cheap.

No photography in there either :(

There were two items missing. Gimli's costume and the Bigature of Orthanc weren't there, a little message saying they were out for the filming of The Return of the King!

It's open til January sometime. I think I'm gonna go back after the third movie is out to see the bits missing, I really wanted to see Orthanc.

They also have original art from John Howe and Alan Lee, including the incredible watercolor of Wormtongue on the steps of Orthanc.

NOW STOP READING AND GO!!!

Karlen V. Russo
19-09-03, 19:49
I booked my tickets up the first day they came on sale! I am going at the end of October. I hope that Gimli's costume and the Orthanc bigature are back by the time I go!

ex-machina is right - if you are at all a fan of the books or films, go see this exhibition. Sell your mother to get tickets and be quick about it, I hear they are selling out fast!

Mankind
19-09-03, 20:10
It's probably thousands of miles upon miles upon miles away from here, so although I LOVE the lotr movies, I probably couldn't go to this. It sounds awesome though.

Omnituens
19-09-03, 20:15
LOTR *yawn*

i want the 3 hours of my life back i wasted watching that film. had some good bits, but it didnt hold my attention.

not even going to bother with the second one unless someone PAYS me to watch it. or someone really really really wants me to see it.

im sorry if you like the film/book, but its not for me.

kurai
19-09-03, 20:24
When I was in Wellington, New Zealand, earlier this year I went to see this exhibition.

(Peter Jackson is a Wellington native, and many of the scenes were flimed nearby. The city museum/arts centre dedicated almost an entire floor to this LoTR exhibiton)

Even though the "on tour" version isn't quite as extensive I reckon it's still definitely worth a visit.

The sheer craftsmanship and attention to detail on the props and costumes is incredible.

Karlen V. Russo
19-09-03, 20:30
@ Mankind, I believe the tour will stop off in the US after this stop (UK is the only european showing of this exhibition)

I can't quite remember where they said it would be, I have a feeling it was east coast though, but not NY I'm afraid :(

ex-machina
19-09-03, 20:39
actually, I just walked in and got a ticket, pretty much like any other Science Museum special exhibition.

The Exhibition is on at the Science Museum in London, until 11th January 2004. You can get more details here:

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/exhibitions/lordoftherings/index.asp

Nearest tube is South Kensington, signs will direct you straight to the museum via an underpass and then it's just a case of talking to a science museum official./

X Kitty X
19-09-03, 20:52
Yep I'm definately going to go. I'm seeing Thursday up in London in a couple of weeks so I will head over there first before the gig. It sounds amazing.