PDA

View Full Version : [OT... very OT] problem with PC

Jesterthegreat
18-09-03, 13:00
ok peeps... this is a realy techy problem for you all... i am a computer technician and its giving me trouble

ok so i install a load of software on a pc (pc has been up and running for weeks / months). the only significant change is installing DirectX 9b. upon restarting after directx was done it hung after the windows splash.

i restarted and choose to boot from last known god config... to the same result. i tried booting up in safe mode (all the dif safe modes) and it locked up after agp440.sys.

looking around the net i found that this seems a simple problem, caused by adding hardware (i assumed DirectX changed enough to change drivers... and therefore indirecty change hardware?) so i loaded up windows XP repair sonsole, and disabled agp40.sys. in theory this meant that i would boot up fine, on Windows's own default VGA drivers.

however when i restart, i get the exact same problem... only this time it hangs on the file that loads just before agp440 would ; mup.sys

i found many (complex) ways to fix this, however i just disabled it in the same way i disabled agp40. the same thing happened ; the file just before the file i disabled made it hang.

i have now disabled 4-5 files (and i know which ones so i can reactivate if neded) and it always has the same result.

if anyone has had a similar problem or fels he/she could help in any way (i mean any way.. i'm baffled) plz feel free to reply

thanks all

NC Junkie

\\Fényx//
18-09-03, 13:02
Find a way to roll back DX9b (is that even possible?)

bit of a toughie there but it deffo seems like DX9b's causing the problem..

Jesterthegreat
18-09-03, 13:03
if only i could..

i cannot get into windows. last working config doesnt work... safe mode doesnt work...

if anyone knows a way in then plz feel free to post heh

Jesterthegreat
18-09-03, 13:09
i definatly think DirectX is the prob... but does anyone know how to roll back driver / hdd without getting into windoews? O_o

:edit: ah sorry for double post!

:edit2: no one has suggestions?

\\Fényx//
18-09-03, 13:25
uhm, last ditch then man, put the HDinto another PC as a slave and try to get access to salvage whatever you can =/ thats about your last hope tho.

I think ill be staying away from DX9b myself :p

Jesterthegreat
18-09-03, 13:28
so will i on the rest of these pcs heh

hmm... i was hopin for a simple thing, but it looks like its gonna be a salvage and reformat job... time to hunt down those driver disks then.

once again: if anyone has any other ideas before i whipe my hdd i would rather here them before i do :D

Mighty Max
18-09-03, 13:36
If it hangs on agp40.sys, and when you disable it it hangs one before, i would guess that it actually (but doesnt show right) hangs on the first file AFTER agp40.sys.

I'd give it a try to disable that one (if you know what file it is)

ZardOf
18-09-03, 13:44
This may help

http://www.dxbuster.de/index_e.html

Jesterthegreat
18-09-03, 15:12
Originally posted by Mighty Max
If it hangs on agp40.sys, and when you disable it it hangs one before, i would guess that it actually (but doesnt show right) hangs on the first file AFTER agp40.sys.

I'd give it a try to disable that one (if you know what file it is)

it tends to hang after files... but good point. however i dont know what file that is

oh and thx... but i think that DX Buster needs to be run in windows? (although i hope im wrong)

Stigmata
18-09-03, 15:20
I have never encountered this problem before, so dont have much advice on it yet, i shall have a look and report back if i find anything.

On a side note

posted by fenyx
I think ill be staying away from DX9b myself

i have had it on all my PC's for a few weeks without any problems.

@jester have you taken a recent backup...well very recent ?

Andy

Jesterthegreat
18-09-03, 15:26
no backups... but tbh nothin really on there before this week.

even if i did wouldnt i need to get into windows to get to the backup?

\\Fényx//
18-09-03, 15:27
well im on dx9a atm and i aint complaining about the FPS i get in NC :p just everyone else is :lol:

Wannabe
18-09-03, 15:27
Ok, what motherboard you got and what chipset it has? If you have a PCI graphics card, have you tried using that and setting BIOS to init PCI before AGP. This way you *might* get to windows as the problem seems to be with AGP drivers.

I don't have any problems with DX9.0b. Could it be something went wrong with the DX install and it broke some files it was updating.

Just my 2nc.

// Wannabe

EDIT: Having a bootable CD-rom that boots to DOS is actually a good thing to have :-> I got mine on RW and use it to flash the BIOS when there's updates. Who uses floppy disks anyway :D

Stigmata
18-09-03, 15:46
Im struggling to find any info relating to other experiences of this problem.

Andy

Clyde
18-09-03, 15:56
if you have someone that has xp installed, have them go to tweakxp.com and make a bootup disk. not sure if the xp boot disk allows you to go into dos mod with cdrom support, but i know me and i think a 98 disk can. best solution is reinstall xp full

alig
18-09-03, 16:06
I thought Direct X is one of the very few things, once its on its staying on, rollback or not:confused: i had probs with one once and just re-formatted :p:rolleyes:

ZardOf
18-09-03, 16:17
k cant find anything to do with agp40.sys however can find agp440.sys

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:jX6Y9QjuSWIJ:www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/70994.html+AGP*.sys&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Psyco Groupie
18-09-03, 16:34
[Don't Spam - Ulle]