PDA

View Full Version : Visible armor...

Q`alooaith
17-09-03, 04:13
.. Just want to know if people would like it..

BTW, it'd be pretty easy to do, take the models used when you drop the items, and put them over player models, so no real big changes, not a great deal of work (cept might be, resizing and coding it up)..

But the effect would be well worth the effort... Who else thinks so?

{MD}GeistDamnit
17-09-03, 04:23
they can't just slap the models on there. they have to all be animated, and seperately at that. I bet they were gonna have the armor in neocron shown on the players when they first planed neocron. but doing so is a pain in the ass. maybe they will supprise us when doy comes out and do it :D

Q`alooaith
17-09-03, 04:29
I didn't say getting it to work right would be easy....

I just said all the parts are there...

remember, the armor don't have to replace the char model, just be slapped on top, only the legs would realy need much animating.. since they'd be the ones to move in the middle.. chest armor, well just resize it so the model don't clip though it..

It'd be a nice treat for DoY, but we've got to let them know we want it, so they know to add it to that very very long list of back burner wants...

Drexel
17-09-03, 05:00
Just to be different...

I dont think armour should be visable at all.

I dont like people knowing if Im PPU or APU & what level of each,

I dont like people knowing to hit my tank with poison coz im wearing PA,

I dont like people knowing not to use their xray modded weapon against my xray proof spy suit.

I would like all armour displays removed (keep the armour remove the display) from the game & instead just give us a MUCH larger option of clothing available from the outfitter, (including armour looking items if ya wanna look bad).

Ok, flame away... :D

Benjie
17-09-03, 05:03
Originally posted by Drexel
Ok, flame away... :D
I think your wrong! I'm gonna call my MOM!This is turing into a song....er. you sleep with a dead drom.

Flamey enough for you?

enablerbr
17-09-03, 05:03
Drexel i'd like neptune but like your list. it aint gonna happen.

MrBane
17-09-03, 05:05
Agree with your points Drexel, but unfortunately, people would see what armour you were wearing, were the situation real, so it's something you'll need to accept as being possible.

Perhaps a more anonymous type of armour clothing would work, like you said, just normal clothing that looks like armour. Or that when you wear PA for example, Outfitters lets you select from a variety of PA styles and colours.

Eledhbrant
17-09-03, 14:46
Sure, make armours visible

so every non PA monk looks like he's in the swat team with that helmet and stuff? :)

CryptoChronic
17-09-03, 14:48
i hate being forced to look like everyone else in the game... i like to show some individualityism (if thats a word) ... even without the armour the options are pretty small to look unique

Benjie
17-09-03, 14:50
This idea would actually get rid of FPS issues IF: The armour was all the same 2/3 skins/models and was only varying in colour.

Anything other than that would actually cause problems.

Fordaz
17-09-03, 14:53
I like the idea, but only if the armour disappears in CopBot watched zones. I can't stand how everyone in Plaza looks the same when wearing their PAs, imagine what it would be like with regular armour.

Scikar
17-09-03, 14:57
Yes, but the Rokkwear should incorporate the changes. So you can wear a shirt underneath your armor vest and then a jacket over the top. Or you could skip the jacket and just have the vest over the t-shirt, etc etc. The only I don't like about it really is helmets, they would make it too impersonal imo.

garyu69
17-09-03, 14:57
I am currently Beta testing a MMORPG and they have managed this. Whenever you put on a piece of armour it shows up.

Every individual piece of armour is accounted for.

I think this should be implemented in NC

CryptoChronic
17-09-03, 15:06
Originally posted by garyu69
I am currently Beta testing a MMORPG and they have managed this. Whenever you put on a piece of armour it shows up.

Every individual piece of armour is accounted for.

I think this should be implemented in NC

that still wouldnt fix the problem of everyone looking the same though... there arent many different armour configs

evs
17-09-03, 15:14
It would mean that everyone who saw you in an certain type of armour would just choose what you are weak against!

exampl : if i saw someone with inquistion armour on- id swap to energy weapons

also - most people mismatch their armour, so it would look stupid all being a mix

and thirdly, if someone found a really good armour setup, everyone would bloody copy it - so back to square 1.

Wannabe
17-09-03, 15:17
Want visible armor? Play Anarchy Online.

Want to live on even with hitted with poison beams while wearing your tank PA? Build up your poison resist and use poison resist belt / drugs.

DoY is already sooooo late and if they start working on visible armor code / models / animations, my first child will be born before that. And I'm not even married yet or we're not even planning to have kids yet.

At the moment, PAs are the only visible armor we have. Even if your spy has the X-ray armor, you still have good resist setup from other armor plus your belt. And as spy's have a hi INT cap, you can use the heavy resist belts.

*sigh*

Forseti, wanna hit me with that 3-day ban please?

// Wannabe

Siygess
17-09-03, 15:19
Sure, this is (and always hay beein) something I would love to see in Neocron, but honestly.. even if you only had one model per armour area (one helmet model, one vest etc) and provided seperate skins for each item, it's more work than KK can probably commit to at the moment. Some new player skins might help, though showing armour on a skin is a little dodgy, as you can imply that you are wearing armour when you really arent.

Q`alooaith
17-09-03, 15:53
We already have all the armor models and skins..

take out any part of your armor and drop it on the floor..

so yea they'd all look pretty similar, can't tell inq a duranit appart cept for the helmet..

which is good..

Siygess
17-09-03, 16:04
Oh, I appreciate that 3D models exist for the armour.. but I dont think they are good enough (helmet and vest in particular) to be used as models that intersect the player model.. I mean, how ridiculous would a spy look in a suit of battle armour as it is scaled now? ;)

Plus the vests dont have any armour coving the arms.. so it would look a little daft (as things stand) if you had a player in heavy boots, a decent belt, duranium vest and helmet.. and bare arms. There would be justice shots all round! :)

Q`alooaith
17-09-03, 16:18
Originally posted by Siygess
[B]Oh, I appreciate that 3D models exist for the armour.. but I dont think they are good enough (helmet and vest in particular) to be used as models that intersect the player model.. I mean, how ridiculous would a spy look in a suit of battle armour as it is scaled now? ;)
[B]

if you had bothered to read some of my earlyer posts in this very thread..

"though the armor would have to be resized and such"

and the helmets look pretty good, think about it, open visor on battle helm's mean you'd get to see a bit of the player model underneath...

Heavyporker
17-09-03, 18:33
I rather like being able to see armor. Many ideas in this thread, some interesting, many horrible.

My solution.

Make any non-helm store-bought or mob-dropped armors that are level 3 or above (uniques) not visible on player. (advanced enough that they can be hidden). The helm WILL have to be visible to others. The helm types really need to be more varied.

PA has to take all armor slots if equipped. Resists would have to be ratcheted up to take their place, of course. PA *IS* supposed to be seen. PA that takes up the whole body should take up all slots. People must choose their armor setups carefully - cute variety or appearance is one thing. PA is skill bonus. Piecemeal armor is resists. You have to choose between either.

This way, people that want visible armor can get them, but high levelers won't have to suffer any worries about their prissy appearance or giving away secrets of the universe, sheesh. And a glaring fault gets fixed.

Helen Angilley
17-09-03, 18:41
Visible armour wouldn't solve the "everyone looks the same" problem, it would only delay it.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind visible armour.

Q`alooaith
17-09-03, 18:57
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Visible armour wouldn't solve the "everyone looks the same" problem, it would only delay it.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind visible armour.

I never ever said visible armor would fix the everyone looks the same issuses...

In fact visible armor would make everyone look pretty much the same in a fight, but, that's ok because it's armor, it's ok if everyone looks the same in armor..