PDA

View Full Version : Put together a Non KK Dev team? ( Would like a KK opinion also )

Shujin
14-09-03, 23:49
I was thinkin today, on my way to pay some late fee's for a over due video, about creating a kind of Non Reakktor affiliated Dev team.

I don't mean to insult the Dev's by implying that I don't think they are good enough, I'm just trying to find a way to kind of help out all that we can.

It would really be just for creating new models (If we get someone who can model), textures, and other objects like that.

I DO NOT mean to create levels or anything in that nature. We would not require anything really but would like 3ds files of current models and their textures due to the fact that we can not edit the .Act files. This would not give any security risk to neocron at all for us to have the .3ds versions of them because the engine only reads the custom .Act files which KK have created.

Please post your thoughts.

Also I would like it if a KK Rep/ Mod / GM / Dev could give some input on this idea, and would like if a Mod could tell me if it would be possible for a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly post which the current projects to be stickied and talked about.

All created work from the team would be posted on the Modification forum upon completion and would then be property of KK to do as they please if they do anything with it at all.

If you vote please post why you voted the way you did.

Judge
14-09-03, 23:53
More like a help to the overworked Devs?

That would be cool. I dunno how I could help though. I suck at most things modelling orientated. :p

Shujin
14-09-03, 23:55
I'm gettin pissed atm though, why the hell would people vote no to this...

Syntax-Error
14-09-03, 23:55
We at phoenix Inc already think of ourselves as KK but not :P

No seriously tho. we do lots of work and were an a years waiting list for the work to be checked by KK. so i REALLY think this is a good idea. ill give it *****

Eddie
14-09-03, 23:57
I like this idea.. but this is a commercial venture, and so there are copyrighting issues and such.

Sharing code/resources/tools/secrets with the community: those who actually play the game - will lead to bad things IMO.

Eddie

Shujin
14-09-03, 23:58
Originally posted by Eddie
I like this idea.. but this is a commercial venture, and so there are copyrighting issues and such.

Sharing code/resources/tools/secrets with the community: those who actually play the game - will lead to bad things IMO.

Eddie

noo nooo
they dont need to share ANYTHING

just the 3ds's and those have no risk what so ever

WHY cant people read the entire thread.

never did i say i want to edit the source code, never did i say i wanted to edit the engine never did i say i wanted to use there tools never did i say i want there secrets.

i said we would only be creating models and textures.

that means making mobs, making new weps, making new dynamic objects, creating more player skins.

i also said NO we wont be editing levels at all

Syntax-Error
15-09-03, 00:01
Why not levels? that requires nothing but the dev tool they use. which the basic unedited version is available free. (as it isnt theres - however they use a custom one that we wont get hold off)

only we cant texture it as the textures aint allowed out either. so they wud have to do that.

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:03
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
Why not levels? that requires nothing but the dev tool they use. which the basic unedited version is available free. (as it isnt theres - however they use a custom one that we wont get hold off)

only we cant texture it as the textures aint allowed out either. so they wud have to do that.

trust me u dont want anyone bein able to edit levels as in editing the bsp's

but if u mean placing dynamic objects... um we dun wanna spiffy up nc in that way, thats faction counsellors job ;P

Syntax-Error
15-09-03, 00:10
No. not editing. as that would give access to thing we aint allowed access to. but making brand new ones. now thats possible trust me.

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:11
No. not editing. as that would give access to thing we aint allowed access to. but making brand new ones. now thats possible trust me.
ohh thought u meant editing i was bout to say ;o no way guy, but ability to make new ones would give the ability to edit the old ones.

Mumblyfish
15-09-03, 00:11
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - spam ]

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:13
;| get teh hell off teh thread

Syntax-Error
15-09-03, 00:14
fuckin well ban that asshole already.

anyhow. no making new ones wont make it possible to edit old ones. as the ready made zones are in a diffrent format. and well the new levels would have to be sorted and implamented into the game by the dev still.

Mumblyfish
15-09-03, 00:14
:angel:

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:15
fuckin well ban that asshole already.

anyhow. no making new ones wont make it possible to edit old ones. as the ready made zones are in a diffrent format. and well the new levels would have to be sorted and implamented into the game by the dev still. the already made ones are in .bsp form in the pak

Mumblyfish
What's a bsp?

Syntax-Error
Aye. but try opening one.

Rento Webex
15-09-03, 00:16
[ edited ]

Mumblyfish
15-09-03, 00:17
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - spam ]

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:17
(Changed mind dont close it, Thx nid for gettin them out of here )

Rento Webex
15-09-03, 00:18
[ edited ]

Mumblyfish
15-09-03, 00:19
Originally posted by Shujin
thats it, close the damn thread ;| im makin the damn team and dont care if ppl want me to unless its KK that dont want me to.

and if kk dont want me to then plz message me
Fucking defeatists.

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:19
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Fucking defeatists. [ edited ]

Rento Webex
15-09-03, 00:20
[ edited ]

Helen Angilley
15-09-03, 00:21
fuckin gayists

[ edited for violation of the forum rules - trolling ]

Mumblyfish
15-09-03, 00:21
[ edited ]

d3ik
15-09-03, 00:24
See... me and my friend were talking about game forums and how unruly the people in them are. He said, "Yeah, my forums blow. People are always acting like small children and calling each other homophobic names and such... what are yours like? From what you've said about Neocron they must be great..."

I just stood there. I was too embarassed to comment.

Mumblyfish
15-09-03, 00:25
Yeah. These forums kick arse.

Nidhogg
15-09-03, 00:28
Back on track, please.

N

Syntax-Error
15-09-03, 00:44
All hail nid

right. now as i was saying try opening one of those maps. and see what it says :)

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:47
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
[ edited ] [edited for violation of the forum rules - responding to flames ]

Helen Angilley
15-09-03, 00:48
[ edited ]

Case in point.

ViperG
15-09-03, 00:49
sounds like a good idea to me

Shujin
15-09-03, 00:54
Originally posted by ViperG
sounds like a good idea to me

thank you ;] im tryin to think of a name of it atm.

btw Nid, u seem to like this thread a awful lot wanna put ur input? ;]

Nidhogg
15-09-03, 00:54
Helen, cut it out please. Thanks.

N

MrAnderson
15-09-03, 00:56
its a good idea...

bsp can be a bitch to open unless you got the right tools for the job cause it depends how the were compiled!!!

and why the hell does every jerked up dick in the world have to end up in every forum on the internet

if you aint got anything good to say like constructive critism (how ever spelt) or good points then SHUT THE FUCK UP

BlackDove
15-09-03, 00:59
Even to the request of the thread starter, this thread wasn't closed. Is that a HINT?

If this would actually help KK, and they'd approve it as a smaller part of community related company (legally of course denouncing them from all responcibilities) then this is a great idea :p People also want to feel important, so it shouldn't be hard to get modellers, artists, etc.

ViperG
15-09-03, 01:00
Originally posted by MrAnderson
its a good idea...

bsp can be a bitch to open unless you got the right tools for the job cause it depends how the were compiled!!!

and why the hell does every jerked up dick in the world have to end up in every forum on the internet

if you aint got anything good to say like constructive critism (how ever spelt) or good points then SHUT THE FUCK UP

IT would be nice if kk released their tools. But that probably won't happen. Besides they can't use the stuff in the game that we make because of copyright issues. It would be cool if they gave us a waiver or disclosure or they subcontracted us allowing us to "work" for kk for free.

ViperG
15-09-03, 01:05
Originally posted by BlackDove
Even to the request of the thread starter, this thread wasn't closed. Is that a HINT?

If this would actually help KK, and they'd approve it as a smaller part of community related company (legally of course denouncing them from all responcibilities) then this is a great idea :p People also want to feel important, so it shouldn't be hard to get modellers, artists, etc.

yeah exactly. If kk would allow the community to help build neocron, then you get something that only happens in muds. It's sorta like slashdot.org. Everyone submits their work, but in the end its kk who allows it to be seen. Personally I would want to make levels, redoo all the cities so they look a little better, fix the vis parts, so it renders faster, fix misc bugs and textures. Redoo the apartments so that you can actually see a city, outside the windows, or at least, 2 buildings not just one... etc lots of ideas.

but yeah, neocron would have a happier community, and it would increase the community population, because now people actually feel more important. Besides imagine the news if kk decided to do this, every mmorpg or gaming page would post this, lots of media coverage of a mmorpg to switch to a community r&d. which from what I know no major mmorpg has ever done that.

MrAnderson
15-09-03, 01:05
well the copy right is easy, you just put a txt file saying that i am handing this piece of work to kk to do as they please... if kk dont get that file then they dont use it

simple as that

Shujin
15-09-03, 01:13
Originally posted by BlackDove

If this would actually help KK, and they'd approve it as a smaller part of community related company (legally of course denouncing them from all responcibilities) then this is a great idea :p People also want to feel important, so it shouldn't be hard to get modellers, artists, etc. read the disclaimer mjs wrote for the mod forum ( also meh idea ;] that ppl flamed but mjs liked it ;D so im hopin he likes this 1 as well )

StryfeX
15-09-03, 01:18
I think this is a really good idea. It would help out the dev's and free them up to work on important things like better net code and drone bugs.

Also, about BSP's, I thought they couldn't be edited (easily, anyway) once they were compiled and that once they were compiled, there's no good way to decompile it again. (This is just going by some limited Half-Life mapping experience.)

I'd love to see new models coming out for the weapons. Esp. making new unique ones for the rares and things like that.

I must say that even though we've had our disagreements before, Shujin, this is one hell of a kick-ass idea.

--Stryfe

P.S. - Did I mention the fact that I think it's a really good idea? :p

MrAnderson
15-09-03, 01:23
well if u can be bothered to get the bsp open (im also talking from the half life side)

once its open it aint that hard to edit it and then all you do is recompile as diff name, yeah its not the greatest way to do it but im a shit mapper so there we go but it can be done and run sweat on a shit machine which is what i had at the time

Heavyporker
15-09-03, 10:27
Pretty nice idea shujin...

Anyone think about trying to use VRML as a outlining map, that way, KK could take the cues for porting the map into their own engine. There's loads of VRML resources online, so it should be fairly simple to try our hands out with.

I love the idea of an art team to redo gfxs and clothing/skins. BUt let's not limit ourselves to just ingame imagery. What about text? I've submitted a load of item description stuff. And what about doing promo posters and such ( similiar to the banner contest, but more restrained, like that second place winner).

Hell, let's not forget backgrounds. Backgrounds have got to be among the best promotion methods for games, ESPECIALLY online games. There's already a fair slew of Neocron-themed backgrounds, but we can always do more. Hell, what about doing a couple neocron-theme MP3 skins?

Wasn't there a few offers to try to make a few new songs/tracks for neocron sounds? The PepperPark clubs desperately need a large and varied mix.

Lord Mansion
15-09-03, 13:29
Good idea, I fully support anything that helps improve Neocron.

Napalm82
15-09-03, 13:35
I voted yes, sadly i know absolutely HAT (Yes the hat on your head) about moddeling, i would really like to help with NC since i personally think its progressing to slow.

I hope KK takes this up for consideration and that some 3D animators chip in :D

Good post BTW

- Napalm

G.0.D.
15-09-03, 15:23
Good idea,
actually a team is working on a neocron cgi movie and im sure if we create any neato objects we would have no problem passing em off to kk

Phiberdelic
15-09-03, 15:40
I can't see why people would vote no for this...A DEV team can get stuck into a rut at times and become overwhelmed at particular projects that they can sometimes overlook the obvious. Getting an outside group to tinker around and come up with fresh ideas might stimulate the KK DEV team a bit.

Man I just wish that marketing would help us to get involved ... word of mouth only goes so far. Maybe they could get some kick azz adwork that we could redistribute. I'm actually considering doing random phone book address thingy....Make X amount of Offline tutorial CD's with kinky advert labels to random addresses per week.

G.0.D.
15-09-03, 16:03
Actually we all should start spamming other peoples mail boxes with neocron demos!!! thats a great idea!

EDIT: noticed i came off sarcastic... but im not, its actually a good idea :D

Rith
15-09-03, 22:09
nope

if KK lacks the bandwidth to add more content to the game, then they should employ more people.

if they can't afford it - i'd be happy to pay more in subscriptions - we already get a damn good deal

a non-KK dev team would increase the QA and Project Management demand on whoever does this inside KK. I think this would ultimately be counter-productive

Its nice to see enthusiasm from the community, but I want a professional game, delivered by professionals who are managed in a professional way (okay I'm out on a limb here KK).

This aint GNU.

Shujin
15-09-03, 23:46
Originally posted by Rith
nope

if KK lacks the bandwidth to add more content to the game, then they should employ more people.

if they can't afford it - i'd be happy to pay more in subscriptions - we already get a damn good deal

a non-KK dev team would increase the QA and Project Management demand on whoever does this inside KK. I think this would ultimately be counter-productive

Its nice to see enthusiasm from the community, but I want a professional game, delivered by professionals who are managed in a professional way (okay I'm out on a limb here KK).

This aint GNU.
good point, but still any help is nice.

and the stuff we make is only optional im not meaning to make stuff and make it go in game, the only stuff that would go in game officially would be stuff that was voted upon in mod forum and kk decides to add it.

most of the stuff we make, like mjs said, would be clientside only mods which are just cosmetic.

and if we make any new / updated models those would also be put on the mod forum to be voted on and same as i said above.

Heavyporker
16-09-03, 01:35
neocron cgi movie? wtf? you mean you're actually making a movie from the ground up? Isn't that an assload of work?

Shujin
16-09-03, 01:41
i duno wtf hes talkin bout i never heard of one bein worked on

X452
16-09-03, 01:50
edit, posted in wrong thread :)

Shujin
16-09-03, 01:51
and that has what to do with this topic o.0

G.0.D.
16-09-03, 01:54
@Heavyporker - it tis, I have some people helping atm... but we could use some more modelers.