PDA

View Full Version : For all you CS players - My Steam report

DigestiveBiscui
14-09-03, 21:12
for anyone that had the pleasure of downloading cs 1.6 over the weekend, i thought i would give you my little report on steam.

I have tried it 50 times today, and the following has happend

- Been able to connect to steam, and get on counter-strike

- Started loading Steam but it stops working and does nothing for 30mins

- Started steam, it loaded, but crashes and gives me something about no registered children then goes nuts and dies

so, yea, steam is great

guess i wont be able to play CS when i want anymore, only when steam says its ok
:mad:

Psycho_Soldier
14-09-03, 21:16
There are lots of places you can go to for help... I didn't need any though so I can't exactly say where. Go to #steam-talk or #steam on gamesnet on IRC or try the steam forums if they are up... I got CS/TFC working just fine, runs smoother than ever.

Edit: ............... Ok you're right. Steam was working fine for me the past couple days, now it wants to be a bitch and say "error: this game is currently not available". Fucking steam....

DigestiveBiscui
14-09-03, 22:23
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
Ok you're right. Steam was working fine for me the past couple days, now it wants to be a bitch and say "error: this game is currently not available". Fucking steam....

sounds about right lol

still havent conned since i posted btw :p

MayhemMike
14-09-03, 22:28
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - spam ]

Lethal Virus
14-09-03, 22:30
You also notice how Steam.exe process is still running even after you close it :eek:

Talk about SpyWare as well o_O

Marx
14-09-03, 22:31
Originally posted by Lethal Virus
You also notice how Steam.exe process is still running even after you close it :eek:

I kept getting a shitload of virus warnings after I'd close it.

deleted it because its 1% crap, 99% spyware.

Psycho_Soldier
14-09-03, 22:32

Looks like you dont know how to close a program... When you hit the X or whatever on steam for the first time, it lets you know that it is minimizing to the task bar, then you can right click on that icon, click exit, steam shuts down. If you are talking about that shit about reports of steam collecting information. Read this:

9/13/2003 12:58 PST | Community | by redef
Dihard kindly forwarded an email conversation that he had with Gabe Newell. Dihard’s concern involved reports (where the Steam cache contained miscellaneous info) of Steam collecting personal information. Here’s what Gabe said:
We were a bit perplexed when these reports first surfaced until we found out that people with NTFS didn't see the problem and people with FAT-32 did. In Windows, if you use NTFS for your file system, it zeros out the sectors before allocating them to a new file. So if you have something, like a Steam cache file, where a lot of space gets allocated but not used, and you look at it, then you'll see a bunch of zeros. The FAT-32 file system doesn't do that. If you allocate a large amount of space, don't fill it up, and then use a binary editor to look at the file, you'll see whatever was in those sectors before they were allocated to the new file (at least until they get written over). Whether the files are zero'd or not doesn't affect applications because you always assume there's junk there until you write over it.
So this behavior isn't a function of Steam cache files, it's a function of the FAT-32 file system. Other applications that allocate large files and not fill them immediately will see the same behavior. It doesn't mean the application cares about the data, it just means it was something already on your hard drive. Just last night I noticed that Bram, the guy who created bittorrent for UNIX, had had the same issue raised on the UNIX file system (which makes sense).

From www.planethalflife.com

By the way, Steam servers are down which is why it is fucking up.

Lethal Virus
14-09-03, 22:36
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
Looks like you dont know how to close a program... When you hit the X or whatever on steam for the first time, it lets you know that it is minimizing to the task bar, then you can right click on that icon, steam shuts down.

[ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ] I know how to close a damn program. Right click on the steam icon and click exit, and it closes it. But the process still runs. Plus it's spyware infested.

Psycho_Soldier
14-09-03, 22:40
But the process still runs.

Strange... mine doesn't... O_o

You can always use your task manager to close it down.

DigestiveBiscui
14-09-03, 23:50
Plus it's spyware infested.

a lot of people say that - if you get proof i'll believe you :)

mine closes a couple of seconds after i ask for it to be closed, im more worried about a time it taks for it to start o_O

SilentGravity
15-09-03, 01:53
I really hate steamn :mad:

3/1 times it does not start up

3/1 times it does not log in

3/1 times the menu does not appear

3/1 times when I open games menu you crashes

3/1 times I click a game it crashes

EVERY time it tried to download ANYTHING it crashses, EVERY time I try to play a game it says "starting game" and does nothing.

Mankind
15-09-03, 03:14
I wouldn't doubt Steam has Spyware.

Look at Gamespy for example. Upon installing they ask you if you would like to install like 10 different things all of which end up being listed as Spyware in various Spy programs. Personally I don't play CS anymore because I'm tired of all the hacks. If Neocron ever got that way then I'd have to say...Goodbye.

cracky
15-09-03, 03:37
The steam process always still runs forever after you close it and you have to close it through process manager half the time. This could easily be a bug though judging by how it takes varrying times to close not just stays open forever.

Also the steam server browser and friend browser seem to not respond when they feel like it. So it still has a few things to work out.

Marx
15-09-03, 03:48
pffft.

looking for a better unfark (http://www.fark.com)ed link.

cracky
15-09-03, 03:55
People explain why that happened in the replys.

Kasumi
15-09-03, 04:00
I havent had any problems with steam.. i guess some people just odnt know how to use it ^_^;;

cracky
15-09-03, 04:05
If you haven't had any problems you haven't closed it alot or haven't used it alot. I'm not saying it's spyware or anything like that but it does definetly have a few bugs left.

Kasumi
15-09-03, 04:07
Yes i agree it has bugs.. but steam isnt as bad as most make it out to be.. i have run into a few problems but nothing earthshattering..

flyjedi
15-09-03, 05:12
i don't play CS anymore. whats steam?

Kasumi
15-09-03, 05:14
STeam is required to play anything to do with half life.. or a few things... like HLDM.. CS.. TFC.. anbd so on ;)

enablerbr
15-09-03, 05:25
funny there was me thinking the ALL-SEEING-EYE could do that without any spyware.:p

cracky
15-09-03, 06:11
The program is pretty nice, it has a build in messaging system and easier to use server browser. Also now steamids have replaced the wonids, and you have to use steam for all updates related to valve.

Half life 2 will need steam to be played online like all new valve products.

Psychoninja
15-09-03, 06:32
I'm downloading it right now, I'll bitch about it later.
Until then I can't wait to experience half the crap you guys are when I'm done installing it.....

Something to look forward too o_O

Psychoninja
15-09-03, 10:09
OMG! I didn't have any problems with installing steam etc...but I am VERY disappointed in 1.6....

I just don't like it, it's changed too much. The graphics and tectures makeit look like more of a playland rather than a combat-situation. I hate the new knife, and the gui pics for weapons and the skins, they are.....how can I say this....GAY!

It's going to take me a while to get used to cs again...

:(

I really hate this update, now I know why I heard alot about people quitting.

PS

Steam does seem to like to hide in the background after you close it....

CoDi
15-09-03, 12:22
One third of my weekend was consumed by Steam. The second third I was sleeping. The last one I was playing KotoR. :D

Steam is a pain in the ass atm, but 95% of all problems I ascribe to the overburden Steam servers. If I log on at 9 am CET, when 80% of all europe and american gamers are asleep, everything's fine. Try it in the evening, and you are lost.

For CS 1.6, I like a lot of their small changes, but after some first rounds I am a tad pissed about the gameplay changes (the new maps, the weapon changes (ugly new knife), this f**king shield, the sounds (the colt now sounds like Bender's shiny metal ass rubbing on a washboard)...

Well, I'm still addicted to CS, maybe now Valve manages to get me away from this game... :p

Originally posted by Psychoninja
OMG! I didn't have any problems with installing steam etc...but I am VERY disappointed in 1.6....

I just don't like it, it's changed too much. The graphics and tectures makeit look like more of a playland rather than a combat-situation. I hate the new knife, and the gui pics for weapons and the skins, they are.....how can I say this....GAY!

It's going to take me a while to get used to cs again...

Amen. A little tip, there are still options to return something of the "oldschool" style. Old style buy menus, for example. And I've already tried a patch to change this ugly new chat font. Valve employees playing too much XBox-CS lately, I suppose. 8|

DigestiveBiscui
15-09-03, 13:30
LOL

i've only just found this out, so i wont show off

Reason for the shit skins in 1,6 etc is simple - ITS STILL BETA

thats right, people are going through hours of d/l for BETA of 1.6, thats all. The released steam full, and people thought straight away that 1.6 is final - ITS NOT

the final relase of 1.6 comes out when WON goes down, which is in about 2 weeks :)

Nasher
15-09-03, 13:55
I cant play ANY HL game through steam, it messed up converting my 100% legit install of HL which I paid for and I had to use the "remove local content button" now it doesnt give me the convert wizard thing even after a re-install and wants to download the whole game+mods, which I'm NOT going to do because I'm on 64k ISDN and it would take forever (assuming steam doesnt fuck up half way through).

About steam being secure against hacks and cheats....its not, maybe even less secure than WON (that includes your account info/details). There are already hacks for CS 1.6/half-life that work through steam.

If it takes valve over a year to make an appauling program like steam, dont get your hopes to high for half-life 2...

DigestiveBiscui
15-09-03, 13:57
Originally posted by Nasher
I'm on 64k ISDN and it would take forever

ditto :)

and yes, it takes 13 hours - thats why i bummed an ADSL user to get my the file :D

Weazle
15-09-03, 14:29
http://www.clourd2.com/slash/steam2.gif

Cypher_Psy
15-09-03, 14:48
Originally posted by Weazle
http://www.clourd2.com/slash/steam2.gif

OMG, :lol:

Kinda missed the release of CS 1.6 and all this steam stuff, busy playing 'cron ;)

I'll d/l it this week and check it out.