PDA

View Full Version : Reseaching and Reparing...

OTIS
11-09-03, 22:55
Ok i have a lil problem with these 2 trade skills...i mean even Construction can be bad sometimes...but these 2 seem to be the worst. Ok the main problem i have with these 2 trade skill is the fact that the person has stuff that belongs to you and if they res a tech they need or "rep" an item that you really want then they can do so and nothng can be done about it. It really isnt fair and i think something should be done. Now i know your gunna say that "people get screwed irl and people will screw you in the game" We all know this is true but i just think its dumb that someone can say that they repair and get an item handed to them that took you a long time to get yourself. This is just an idea but maybe they could make lil rooms for res and rep that you go into and you give them the item and they do their thing with in and they cant leave till the item(s) are returned or somethin. That would also increase the amount of tradeskillers i think. But thats just an idea. I would like to hear some input on this subject.

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 22:58
Better idea:

Don't be so stupid as to hand stuff over to someone who you don't know well.

=Chojin=
11-09-03, 22:58
I'm quite lucky so far and havent been screwed over .....yet
but i agree that something needs to b done, i think that the "room" idea might b a little hard to implement tho:(

Ch0
edit:
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Better idea:

Don't be so stupid as to hand stuff over to someone who you don't know well.

so u rekon we should get to know some decent tradeskillers....who still in the end could screw us over? /edit

OTIS
11-09-03, 23:02
Don't be so stupid as to hand stuff over to someone who you don't know well

What if u dont know anyone that has a resser/repper? Do u just let all your 0/120 rare shit build up in your appt? Ok that solves it thanx!!!!!!!! ...wait no that was a dumb answer.

I wanna hear helpful ideas on this thread please.

Lucky Sparks
11-09-03, 23:05
I know this sounds bad but you need to join a clan that has theese facilities OR find a clan you trust and start doing business with there tradeskill members.

Some servers even have clans with all tradeskillers theese are usually a good bet ...

Anyone you see massivly talking shit in chat .. or some clan that pk's you is prob a bad idea to hand stuff to for tradeskill work.

The biggest problem is when our clans repair or ressercher does work for the public out of clan we always loose money. Peeps never supply gel and just dont understand how expensive and time consuming it is. I mean people just dont get it. First you had to gimp yer char by giving him/her that repair or research skill ... then It takes a large tube of repair lube to fix a full set of holy crahn armor. People would hand armor and 5k tip .. they dont understand that that dosent even cover half the tube of goo. We got tired of trying to explain this and it DOSENT make money So we just stopped doing it out of clan.

I agree KK needs t oover haul some trade skills but until then try and make a tradeskiller friend !!! buy him a cron 55 or something !!!

:D

Kugero
11-09-03, 23:09
there's been plenty of discusion on this subject already - remote researching and constructing tools would fix the 'issue' but KK will probably never implement a solution like that becuase they don't want to remove the social dynamic of the tradeskills ....

my advice? start off with cheap stuff and work up to the important items. that way you'll have time to learn more about the person you go to the most often ...

/edit: typo

Mankind
11-09-03, 23:10
I have a pure Researcher/Repairer on Saturn named g0d. I've built up a pretty good reputation as an honest person.

Research - 175
Repair - 318

Also have a constructor (on my real life friends account) TL 170 Constructor, named hit-man.

For the most part if you need anything on Saturn and looking for someone to trust with your parts/rares I can do it. If you don't trust me, I understand because I don't trust alot of people either...that's why I made a researcher/repairer for myself. But a little trust and you might realize that there are some good guys out there. I might be a jackass on my other characters, but when I get on my trader I'm someone different.

Btw, OTIS this is Lord.

El Barto
11-09-03, 23:27
This was posted b4, and some one came up with a realy good idea, that was to have people carry ID cards, showing their trade skill TL and what trade skills they have.

=Chojin=
11-09-03, 23:30
Originally posted by El Barto
This was posted b4, and some one came up with a realy good idea, that was to have people carry ID cards, showing their trade skill TL and what trade skills they have.

and writen in verey verey small print i am not liable for any harm or theft of products placed in my care

Ch0

El Barto
11-09-03, 23:40
Originally posted by =Chojin=
and writen in verey verey small print i am not liable for any harm or theft of products placed in my care

Ch0

lol

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 23:46
Originally posted by OTIS
What if u dont know anyone that has a resser/repper? Do u just let all your 0/120 rare shit build up in your appt? Ok that solves it thanx!!!!!!!! ...wait no that was a dumb answer.

I wanna hear helpful ideas on this thread please.

If you can't find a Tradeskiller then that's your problem, not KK's.

Vampire222
11-09-03, 23:50

Helen can u give us all a break, u aint a flame-o-tron 3000, even thou you think you are

=Chojin=
11-09-03, 23:53

everyone can find a tradeskiller...its just the fact that even if u know them ingame and irl they can still screw u over.

Ch0

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 23:54
everyone can find a tradeskiller...its just the fact that even if u know them ingame and irl they can still screw u over.

Ch0

So what's your point?

It's an aspect of the game. People complain about the game being "carebear" yet they moan when a Tradeskiller strikes in the only way they can? What the hell?

=Chojin=
11-09-03, 23:58
So what's your point?

It's an aspect of the game. People complain about the game being "carebear" yet they moan when a Tradeskiller strikes in the only way they can? What the hell?

i dont think ppl make tradeskilers to "strike" at ppl.... and if they do well there Tradeskills will just turn into skills cos noone will want to trade with them.

Ch0

Alex Mars
11-09-03, 23:58

Yet another reason why this game fails to retain customers.

Coding a secure window for repairing and such would not be hard, but then assholes couldn't abuse new players.

People hand me stuff to repair out at the bunker, I guess I look trustworthy. I can only repair up to TL 70-90 (depending on the server) so no one is handing me rares to repair.

Helen Angilley
12-09-03, 00:00
i dont think ppl make tradeskilers to "strike" at ppl.... and if they do well there Tradeskills will just turn into skills cos noone will want to trade with them.

Ch0

So a Tradeskiller would scam someone "just because"? o_O

=Chojin=
12-09-03, 00:04
So people would scam someone "just because"? o_O

Because they see a golden opertunity. simple as that.
They see that they can get ahold of something that would normaly take a long time in just a few seconds, its a shame realy:(

Ch0

Helen Angilley
12-09-03, 00:06
Because they see a golden opertunity. simple as that.
They see that they can get ahold of something that would normaly take a long time in just a few seconds, its a shame realy:(

Ch0

Much like those who see a golden opportunity to kill another Runner when said Runner is low on health and engaged with something else?

=Chojin=
12-09-03, 00:07
Much like those who see a golden opportunity to kill another Runner when said Runner is low on health and engaged with something else?

i know what u mean but this thread isnt about pkingo_O

Ch0

Helen Angilley
12-09-03, 00:08
i know what u mean but this thread isnt about pkingo_O

Ch0

Same concept, different subject.

=Chojin=
12-09-03, 00:10
different subject.

my point exactly

Ch0

Sleawer
12-09-03, 00:24
Add another option when you right-click a person

Trade
Invite to Team
Add to Direct
Add to buddy
Processor

The last opens a processor screen (same as F7) shared between both players (just like trade), where you place the item(s), and he can research-repair-construct them with the proper tool.

The datacubes, repaired items, constructed items, researched techs, etc.. are placed in the "customer" inventory once the job is done.

F7 processor still will work for your own jobs.

What do you think?

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 00:27
Originally posted by Sleawer

Trade
Invite to Team
Add to Direct
Add to buddy
Processor

The last opens a processor screen (same as F7) shared between both players (just like trade), where you place the item(s), and he can research-repair-construct them with the proper tool.

The datacubes, repaired items, constructed items, researched techs, etc.. are placed in the "customer" inventory once the job is done.

F7 processor still will work for your own jobs.

What do you think?

Good idea.

OTIS
12-09-03, 00:29

Sounds like a good idea... and please Helen ffs SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!! All your comments have been negative and i'm sick of it. There is no need for it i'm trying to get some ideas out there about how to better ressing and repping.

Helen Angilley
12-09-03, 00:35
Originally posted by OTIS
Sounds like a good idea... and please Helen ffs SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!! All your comments have been negative and i'm sick of it. There is no need for it i'm trying to get some ideas out there about how to better ressing and repping.

If you can't handle differing opinions, then don't post at all.

Likewise, it's just as useless to complain about me...just means you're being negative, the very same thing you people moan about.

^.~

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 00:35
The lack of a secure repair/research window is puzzling because the game has a secure trade window and a secure way of getting implants installed.

DartVader
12-09-03, 01:10
So the tradeskiller will be the one who gets fooled?
If you give your stuff to a repper he has an "argument" to force you to pay for his work.
With this Processor-Option runners can just get their stuff repaired/researched/modded and run away...

StryfeX
12-09-03, 01:25
Originally posted by DartVader
So the tradeskiller will be the one who gets fooled?
If you give your stuff to a repper he has an "argument" to force you to pay for his work.
With this Processor-Option runners can just get their stuff repaired/researched/modded and run away... Not if it includes a cashbox option like the one in the normal trade window. Make the person getting stuff researched put something in the box before you even hit ok.

--Stryfe

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 01:29
Originally posted by StryfeX
Not if it includes a cashbox option like the one in the normal trade window. Make the person getting stuff researched put something in the box before you even hit ok.

--Stryfe

That should have been painfully obvious to the casual observer.

Mumblyfish
12-09-03, 01:31
That processor thing is the stupidest, crappiest idea ever.

In a game where the premise is DANGER, you want everyone to be trustworthy? Spend time making friends, contacts, look up well known and respected tradeskillers, if you don't want your stuff stolen. However, give us crooked tradeskillers a chance, at least (yes, I steal rares when they're handed to me).

KimmyG
12-09-03, 01:33
Every server has respectable tradeskillers that people know if you have somkething of extreme value use them. Also as regard to what this post is about it was a new repairer that just had shown up not to long ago, what was given to her was not the greatest idea and should not have been given to a small name reparer. There are two big name repairers on saturn almost everyone knows that are preety trust worthy that person should have used one of them.

enablerbr
12-09-03, 01:34
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
...... (yes, I steal rares when they're handed to me).

well that figures you being CA and all. :p

Mumblyfish
12-09-03, 01:38
Originally posted by enablerbr
well that figures you being CA and all. :p
Got nothing to do with that. I just can't pass on a good thing.

enablerbr
12-09-03, 01:43
i have to say everytime i get someone who questions if i'm trustable. i tend to just get anoyed. sure i can say yes i'm trustworthy but the other person only has my word on that. i've repaired epic items, researched rare parts, yet still the same old should i trust you. infact if i'm in a bad mood i'll simply say if you don't know to trust me go find someone else to do it for you.

Sleawer
12-09-03, 01:47
Maybe is a crap idea, but what you see danger others see as timesink and a fast way to stop playing the game.

It never happened to me, but when you obviously lack of effective reasources to retaliate these actions, then you should be protected for the game mechanics.

Do you have any special interest to hold other person rares while researching, constructing or repairing maybe?

Personally I dont, but that peharps can be because I do not trick anyone swaping rares or stealing not earned stuff.

In this game the con-artist is not a profession, because in first place it is not punished.

Want to make it a proffession? make a way to retaliate those actions.. otherwise that is only another exploit of a flawed system.

Mumblyfish
12-09-03, 01:47
Originally posted by enablerbr
i have to say everytime i get someone who questions if i'm trustable. i tend to just get anoyed. sure i can say yes i'm trustworthy but the other person only has my word on that. i've repaired epic items, researched rare parts, yet still the same old should i trust you. infact if i'm in a bad mood i'll simply say if you don't know to trust me go find someone else to do it for you.
Refer them over to me. I love business. LOVE IT.

Sleaw, it CAN be retaliated against. Smear the person's name so that he can't trade again. Kill them in unsafe areas. Make their life hell.

Or you could blame yourself for your own stupidity.

Q`alooaith
12-09-03, 01:59
A good Researcher theif, will always give you parts back..

Repairers, well find one repairer, and just use them..

Or ask about see if anyone trusts anyone else..

Right now people can rip you off, and thats fine, because most of the time, tradeskillers get ripped off.. my tank used to keep items repaired untill the person coughed over enough to cover the lub costs.. I've not done that with my researcher yet, but I might if I ever end up doing PN's and not getting a big enough donation to cover it..

Sleawer
12-09-03, 02:06
I wonder how you know that a researcher is scamming you Mumbly...

Fortunately for me, and for the people that hires me, I have my own researcher, constructor and barterer.

Spamming the name in trade channel is not a retaliate, and probably the person that did it, doesnt even have in mind to keep that char for so long... so how you retaliate that?

No, I am talking of a way to surely know that you have been tricked, and an effective way to punish the bribe. As there is not way, then it is not a bribe, but an exploit.

Punished or not, it is what it is. Deny the truth if you feel better.

*edit: in addition, I have trade channels mutted almost always, only unmutting them in special circunstances.

Jesterthegreat
12-09-03, 12:39
3 words... Tradeskill Power Armour

with res req / con req / rep req ^.^

peeps can see your trade, and your rought level... all at a quick glance!

personally my 230 resser and 130 repper (105 int, 64 dex) could slip into a damn god res ond, and a good rep one too

NC Junkie

Doc Holliday
12-09-03, 14:30
ok on topic if u got rares and shit u need reppin and u dont no a trader who u can trust by then u need to play another game.

O/t theres a constructor i saw the other day who made me cry laughin. he plays on uranus and his name is Conman of all things. Imagine artifact enlarged advanced stabilised x heated curse soul with flash light constructed by Conman. :) that would own.

Spy<VS>Spy
12-09-03, 16:02
yeah, in my days a trusted constructor name ment everything...not just some silly number next to their chat name...big deal, you have 230 construction...how many weapons have you stolen today?

To be on the record, i have never had good look with researchers. on any server. i have a personal friend who does mine, but occasionaly i'll feed out tech parts to new people i see and see what i get back...its seldom what i'm suppose to get. this is a real problem...it happens all the time. many clans get the rares that they get this way, switching around and matching parts they need without the owners concent...

its a sad thing, repairing, well me personaly, all tanks should have this, and most spy's should. though i REALLY miss the days where you didnt have to have skill points so high to cap a ewapon, that and you need agility to go with athletics to even move...sigh...

but regardless, i think perhaps the remote repair too, or a type of tool to repair whatever is in slot one quick belt would be nice.

the processor windo needs work, the big thing i have agaisnt doing it within anouther persons inventory, is that means they can screw the trade skiller. it would be like poking...you poke em, but they can just run away and not tip.

i've withheld weapons with like 5 slot to get a little bit more then 2k for the build job...i'm not fussy but darn it, when i do a kick ass job, well...i aint doing it for the exp...i'm capped.