PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the game isn't for me....

Futureman
11-09-03, 17:11
Let me start by saying that this isn't a bitch or leaving thread, but i want everyone's true advice about whether im doing something wrong or not and wheter I am making any sence.

I have been playing NC lately and i started last July although i also played in B4. Since that time i've leveled two chars to almost cap with their main stats being 90 on a ppu and a combat spy. Yesterday i happened to run into a lot of things that made me unhappy. I am just not that good at the game and much less pvp. Sure there are those that will say that char strength and level aren't the only thing for pvp and that skill is also important too, so i believe that. But being of average pvp skill i can't compete against capped chars with mc5 chips. I mean, how can you manage to bear all of the leveling required to get the last 10 levels which is double what you've previously earned? I just don't have time to do that i guess. So i got into it with a tank who was rpking people around canyon reloading point and i figured as a ppu i can survive. I know that as a ppu i can't kill anyone, but i sure as hell shouldn't die. Well you would know it that he casted a tl 3 heal on me and i died. This was the second time it happened to me. Well it left me with a really sour feeling and i just don't know if i even want to play anymore. First i need much time to learn all of the skills of PvP which i won't really feel like doing if its only to defend myself against rpkers. So now i learn that i need a holy heal sanctum. Well thats just one more thing i need to make it to where i can survive now. I am just now realizing what it takes to be where i want to be in this game, and it seems like a lot of work. The whole rpking community gets on my nerves, but its their right to play the game how they feel, and i suppose that if i'm one of the few that doesn't want to cap and rpk then i should find another community. Right now im in a serious downpoint. I want to take my spy to the firemob areas to level and get techs easily near TG and such, so i changed him to biotech to get the moveon and then i changed to PP, which is a good faction for leveling i think. Well the prob now is that he needs a DoY raygun rifle to level because i need a good rifle that won't break for leveling. I decided to imp him for fire resist so i can put in Moveon, str booster 3, and Bezerk 2 which would give me 49 str and 100 dex. That would give me some inq armor and i could lom some of my por to fire maybe. But i decided to take my ppu on to do the crahn epic, and its taking forever. I also am broke, so i gotta spend money to finish the epic. Basically it sounds like work to me. I can always reroll a char but i seem to hit a point when it gets really depressing around this lvl.

So what am i trying to say? I am not saying that this game sucks, i just wanna know from you longtime vets what is in store for me and what the rewards will be. Maybe this game isn't for me then, but after the last few days it has been depressing.

BlackPrince
11-09-03, 17:18
Whats in store for you at higher levels?

Camping of Mobs (Base Commander, Chaos Queen, Doomies) trying to get all the parts to build or trade for what you need.

Levelling. Lots and lots of levelling. Cave runs aren't bad for money making, but thats the only good thing.

PvP, maybe. With the low populations its pretty damn repetitive.

Did I mention more camping?

Oh, and in the end, Boredom. 1 of 3 things will happen to you.

1) You'll become good at PvP and spend your days posting on the boards how uber you are at killing people.

2) You'll spend days/weeks testing out for that Uber Setup

3) You'll quit.

Sleawer
11-09-03, 17:33
Hearing your words, PvP is a very undeveloped issue for your chars, so you might start for it.

You also can try to do player events, and help to the RP of this game.

To eliminate the boredom, a good solution is joining a clan, and try to add something new to the story of your faction, or even making your own clan... I assure you that you wont have many time after founding a clan.

The problem with the rp games, is that people need to work in their living; if we are bored, is in part because we want to be bored. There are plenty of things to do in the game, and we shouldnt get stucked with the same "camp big mobs" and "PvP" issues.

Those are parts of the game yes, but what you should ask, is if you are in the correct community. The game has the resources, which can be improved (and hopefully will be), now is up to us to do something, or quit of boredom.

evs
11-09-03, 17:47
Its a damn shame and pity you arent on pluto.
If you were id happily help you level and shoot stuff.

after all it is a game, and i normally kill peeps that try and rpk me.
im good at it, but dont need everyone else to tell me that.

i just enjoy playing and having a good laugh with my clan.

FirestarXL
11-09-03, 18:03
Just to address one point, the DoY raygun is not a true epic item - it does have pure 120 stats, but it also does lose quality when repaired, not sure whether it can drop or not.

I assume that's why you're doing the crahn epic btw, cos all you'll get is that raygun and a crappy helmet that you can't wear with a spy or monk...

Ryuben
11-09-03, 18:04
the D0Y ray gun drops as well

Futureman
11-09-03, 18:38
Thanks for the offer evs. I don' t really need help leveling i don' t think. I can do most of the big caves except for graves. Its pretty long going though. I looked at the TS and i noticed that 120 million is capped and i got 67 million now.

And WTF??? The Doy Raygun Rifle doesn't repair to 120? Then wtf do i care? ugh.... Well might as well finish it now, but after i killed a yrep with a soul cluster i learned that it doesn't count so i was told by a friendly GM that i had to kill it with parashock. Pfft.

:mad:

Pi-Oh-Pah
11-09-03, 18:43
Originally posted by Ryuben
the D0Y ray gun drops as well

Nope - a patch several months back said the DOY Ray weapons were removed from the drop pool

Clothing_Option
11-09-03, 18:49
definatley join a clan
trying to lvl the last 5 lvls in psi by yourself would take forever

Shadow Walker
11-09-03, 18:50
Well my answer will be short, Role Playing is the ennemy of boredom, MMORPG are VERY repetitive I couldn't stand just levelling to get a good level and make PVP I would have choosen planet side for it. I'll be back the 13 evening on saturn server. I'm the co-leader of a TT clan that's trying to make things interesting in neocron, just contact me with ymehdi@hotmail.com if you are interested. We are little but all clan begin like this I guess... Anyway if it's not a success I'll leave the game for SWG when it will be out in europe.

Leveling is fine but I personnaly I must know WHY I have to bother leveling... Now I have a goal.

Heraclitus
11-09-03, 20:37
I actually think there should be a toggle mode for player to player buff casting, as there is for trade. So if you wanted to you could turn off the ability for other players to buff you (maybe just enemy factions).

Dribble Joy
11-09-03, 20:53
Join a clan, get into server politics, do OP fights, and (shock horror!) fight people of your lvl for your PvP needs?

Ste-X
11-09-03, 21:20
future man, i guess your talking about me, yes i casted a tl 3 defect on your ppu, but why did your m8 kill me when i joined team, if your with him your going to die, then you got all cocking saying your a ppu who cant die, yes im a tank , yes ill use sly tactics to kill a ppu,nova cs + noob deflect,

i hope this would not make you leave the game just because of that, i went there to lvl on my spy geting abuse sure ill come back and kill the people who helped kill me,

just stay buffed and nothing would have happend

Shadow Walker
11-09-03, 21:30
I don't like PVP but I'm interested by the information can anyone explain me the thing about deflect?

Thanks.

mdares
11-09-03, 21:31
if u really want an easy time pvp, i recommend PE or Tank; those 2 classes, i believe, are the most "easy" pvp classes (depending how u play); and by easy i mean it rides mostly on good resists.

A pvp monk and spy is much harder... as it actually do take some skill (monk assuming apu, ur paper thin and have only one choice fight or die; as spy you're paper but u can try to get in the sly shots snipe, backstab, then stealth, repeat).

but seriously dont get discouraged...

Shujin
11-09-03, 21:32
thats hella to long to read, maybe if it was a bit more spaced out i would but damn ;()

Ste-X
11-09-03, 21:33
basically walker, you cast a noob deflect or heal on a ppu so they cant buff themselfs, this is hard to do, this leaves them with no good buffs to protect them, if they cast a heal there fine , but i was quick of the mark and killed him before he had a chance

Shadow Walker
11-09-03, 21:36
That's a good strategy...

Thanks for the info.

Futureman
11-09-03, 23:23
maybe you took it that way, but i never said that ppus can't die

i asked you to try to kill me:

which you did:p

which really showed me that i had a lot to learn. I try not to be cocky about those things but i certainly don' t think that i said that tanks can't kill ppus. b/c i think they can even while buffed with piercing damage. I have fought tanks that can kill me with piercing +def+shelt+holy heal, so i wouldn't have said that. Anything else should be PM though dude.

Futureman
11-09-03, 23:25
Originally posted by Shujin
thats hella to long to read, maybe if it was a bit more spaced out i would but damn ;()

sorry for double post but:

who are you to be telling me my post is hard to read?O_o

Ryuben
12-09-03, 03:17
Originally posted by Pi-Oh-Pah
Nope - a patch several months back said the DOY Ray weapons were removed from the drop pool

wanna bet ? i got a DoY rifle and unless its a special one made for special people O_o then it drops and OMG OMFG KK has messed up patch notes again:rolleyes:

FirestarXL
12-09-03, 03:20
Originally posted by Ryuben
wanna bet ? i got a DoY rifle and unless its a special one made for special people O_o then it drops and OMG OMFG KK has messed up patch notes again:rolleyes:

I think that's a confusion between "drops from mobs" and "drops from players". Might be wrong.

hnlecter
12-09-03, 03:21
I am on my last stage trying to figure out how to beat the mc5 chip without one. I agree if you don't have the mc5 chip and plan to use high level weapons you will have a HIGH disadvantage, now that all big clans got the mc5 chips and then they removed the glass after they all got some they keep their advatange and makes it hard for others to do so.

Cyphor
12-09-03, 03:49
The best advice has already been said, join a good clan. They can help you lvl, help you get what u need (item wise) and help you practice and tweak your setup for pvp. For lvling your ppu id advise going to the graves with antipoison sanctum with a team of tanks and apus, should lvl up in no time. 8)
Playing this game gets to me alot too at times but I always seem to come to my senses as atm anyway there isnt a better mmorpg available.
And to the person posing the question why bother lvling, well i do it a) for pvp setup and b) its fun.
When i play a single player rpg its to play out the story and finish the game, its something achieved, just as each lvl in a mmorpg is, once capped yes it can be boring but then there are the other aspects to the game, RP and pvp, and when you get bored with those you can try another char. :)
lvling shouldnt be a boring task you do to lead onto the main point of the game, lvling is one of the main and fun parts of the game.

Smugly
12-09-03, 07:04
I felt exactly the same way Futureman. And as a result my accounts are now cancelled. Ultimately, I just had enough. There was no fun left in Neocron anymore. In the most cases, the people who pissed me off and I never truly capped my characters. It was too much work for too little gain.

ADSL was the ultimate bane for me. Personally I think PVP in Neocron is quite pathetic, more so that I've now been able to experiance how it works in other games. In my experiance I was only ever attacked by someone at least fifteen ranks higher than me. As a Spy, that's usually fatal. And it could take weeks before an opportunity for revenge showed up.

I found late at night the game became almost unplayable on Pluto, since the vast majority of players online seemed to belong to clans I was at war with. If I got killed for whatever reason, I could not get repoked to go out and have more fun because there was no poker.

And then outpost wars I found to be pointless. One side only ever attacked with overwhelming force. That's all I ever saw. Maybe it's different for other people but I know what I experianced, and where is the fun in crushing a force you outnumber 4:1? Or likewise being crushed. Unless PPU's unbalance the whole thing.

Like many, I hoped that the game would have improved. I hungered after Mech's being a vehicle Conniseour. I'm probably one of the six people who could drive a Rhino and I never do. Ultimately, I ran out of stuff todo. So now I play Battlefield 1942 and a free RO shard.

For you Futureman, I would assume to be on the safe side to quit your accounts for now. You're bored with the game. It offers you little fun and at best you only log on to check on your friends. There's no rule that says you can't come back, and I'm not saying I won't resubscribe. Things will just have to change in my favour first.

bounty
12-09-03, 07:41
Try to collect every item in the game. And try to see how much money you can get. And as far as PVP goes, it takes time to get the hang of it, but the only way to get better is to just do it.

Mantus
12-09-03, 08:18
Well this is the thing about MMORPG. They are a huge time investment. And don’t think that other games are any easier. At least with NC you got a good solid PvP game at the end of it all. Of course you can get bored, but hey I know some people who are still playing Counter Strike some 5 years later and other (like myself) who quit after a few months. Some people just arnt meant to play certain types of games.

I think NC its allot of fun. PvP is very challenging. There is no such thing as an easy ride I think its about 50% skills / 50% setup. Even with tank its rather difficult. The first time I picked up a CS and tried to aim it, I ran straight back to the character creation screen :D The time you gota invest to level your character isn’t all that bad, at least compared to other games. Though with a spy you really have to cap DEX to use all those fancy toys.

As for advice. As a spy there are several areas that are allot easier then CRP in my opinion. The swamp caves are pretty good. Chaos Caves are good cuz there are always PPUs around. If you want rare parts, go kill warbots. They are perhaps the easiest mob for a riflespy to kill. Take zero effort and very little time, and since they are not all that popular to hunt you can camp a zone for a good hour before seeing some one else with the same idea.

Or perhaps you just need a break from the game. Don’t delete your character or anything silly like that. Come back in a month or two. Worked for me.

Shadow Walker
12-09-03, 11:28
I don't understand very well what is funny in leveling and getting more and more power with item just to say "hey man se I' strong" and to PVP... I really think Planet Side suits better to people who think PvP and combat power is central in a game.

Personnaly I'm a rifle spy 57/59 (I'll be a droner as soon as I'll be back in the game), and leveling for different reasons (exploring, helping clan mates, looking worthy in negociations etc...), leveling at this level take ages and it's just no fun. And if a clan is just designed to make people level, chat a bit and get better equipment it's just pointless in my opinion, without enhanced goals, organization etc... you'll feel as much alone as if not in clan.

Well that's just my opinion but Role Play rules in MMORPG or it is soon boring like hell...

FBI
12-09-03, 11:53
I've been capped so long that it was only recently that i've
discovered how bad it is on newcommers leveling with assholes
"rpking" all day.

I never took pride in killing people randomly for no reason, some
people are on the brink of canceling their account so they go on
raid after raid and just PK everyone for no reason but to piss them
off.

There are also "assholes" that are invited to leveling teams in
caves and at J_01 bunker just so they can kill everyone without
penalties. It's going was past RPking, some people just thrive
to make experiences for others terrible.

This is why the server population will stay low/decrease also.

Shockwave
12-09-03, 11:59
Originally posted by FBI
I've been capped so long that it was only recently that i've
discovered how bad it is on newcommers leveling with assholes
"rpking" all day.

I never took pride in killing people randomly for no reason, some
people are on the brink of canceling their account so they go on
raid after raid and just PK everyone for no reason but to piss them
off.

There are also "assholes" that are invited to leveling teams in
caves and at J_01 bunker just so they can kill everyone without
penalties. It's going was past RPking, some people just thrive
to make experiences for others terrible.

This is why the server population will stay low/decrease also.

If only more people understood this...

Shock.

Futureman
12-09-03, 14:37
Well, i agree, but here's the serious problem. I wanna play NC because it offers advantges to other games like CS in that its a persistant world, but if the game is mean to be primarily PVP that i guess i shouldn't play it, because i would rather play a game that i don't have to cap a char to pvp (PS i guess). I would like to do more things but they just haven't come out with anything for those that aren't only satisfied with PVP. Hey, it not my game and it is KKs to make how they want it. I never liked CS anyway either because of the cheating and the immature attitudes of other players. When i started NC in Beta i feared that it would be more attractive to those sorts of players because of the PVP aspect. But i can't complain about the community, because if i don't fit in i shouldn't play i guess...

Original monk
12-09-03, 15:04
Originally posted by Futureman
I never liked CS anyway either because of the cheating and the immature attitudes of other players

Hehe luckely we dont have CHEATERS/EXPLOITERS in neocron, luckely everybody is mature here in neocron.

(im being like EXTREMELY sarcastic now, badest thing is that we cant check the real age off people (otherwise i would say ban all those kiddies usin mommy's visa) and 2 bad that cheaters get 100% freeplay here, ya think im kiddin ? nah, cheating and exploiting looks like a national sport here in neocron, ic cheaters all around me, it makes me puke, think they do anything about it ? nah cause KK needs the money mate, and kickin one person off an entire clan off cheaters is not my idea of being hard towards cheaters, KK yust need there $$$ (btw this is screwin up this game so bad, at the end there will be no turnin back anymore, yust like cs)

I bet this post is going to be edited because i use the word exploit in it and cause all people who play a littlebit neo know that i am 100% absolutely right.

I will poke out every cheaters eye's personnaly with a theespoon :P

Shadow Walker
12-09-03, 15:38
I really agree with you FBI, but the expression "RP killing" LOL Those brats are just trying to justify their doing by saying it's role play. Red = Dead is NOT role play it's counter strike rules!!
I have been pkilled since I'm noob by assholes 40 level above me, pking is one of the reason there is so much spies before they gain access to stealth they can't even escape...

I don't know if there is a solution against those Pkers, maybe only kill them again and again and tell them to stop and more importantly maybe don't leave them the lead of the attack, ambush them.

And I'll repeat it again : Why don't the people thinking PVP for fun is the core of this game don't go play Planet Side?