PDA

View Full Version : I play DnD, anyone else?

Mingerroo
11-09-03, 16:51
I play DnD 3E and run my own campaign as opposed to any store bought campaigns. My 3 players are new and so I am I (to DMing anyway). Just thought I'd find out who else loves this game :)

Ozambabbaz
11-09-03, 16:54
truly lovable game, played since '89 :)

i miss those full weekends on coffee, cola and..uhm..smokes, i hate growing up :(

Siygess
11-09-03, 16:57
Yup - I'm a fan of the 3rd Ed system - have played and DM'ed D&D, though I prefer playing it. Have you looked at the new (v3.5) books - I'm not clear on all the changes but I see they have released a campaign book for Warcraft.. could be fun if you ever decide to run a campaign set in a published world :)

Mattimeo
11-09-03, 16:59
I run an EQ 3e game currently, and still play 2e, I prefer 2nd edition myself, but then again I have like 20 books on it compared to my 7 3e (includes the EQ books).

I'm also a huge fan of All flesh must be eaten. hmmm a neocron based AFMBE campaign, that is a good idea...

LTA
11-09-03, 17:13
Does baldurs gate count in any way at all.... even just a little?

Cuz i pla bg 1 + tosc and soa and they all well n truely rock :p

Siygess
11-09-03, 17:17
The BG series is so good that I'd say it almost counts - though nothing beats sitting down at a table and playing DnD. Its a really good, clean experience..

..unless I'm playing my Tiefling Bard.. ;)

Ozambabbaz
11-09-03, 17:22
original Pool of Radiance = the bong of all bongs to end all bongs of all time

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 17:24
Played for a few years...but gave up when my 18th level Wild Mage got splattered. Bleh.

Omnituens
11-09-03, 17:26
I CAST A SPELL! (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=90046) :D

LTA
11-09-03, 17:28
Originally posted by Omnituens
I CAST A SPELL! (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=90046) :D

hehe i remember that from a while ago, so funneh :D

Siygess
11-09-03, 17:28
@Helen - Character death always blows, but its never a reason to give up! Come back.. Come baaaaack :D

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 17:29
Originally posted by Siygess
@Helen - Character death always blows, but its never a reason to give up! Come back.. Come baaaaack :D

But I don't want to be level one again.

*Sniff*

:(

Siygess
11-09-03, 17:35
Sure, at level one even a disease-ridden goblin can strike fear into your heart, but its a chance to explore an entirely new character.. its all about the journey, not the destination.

Or something like that :)

evs
11-09-03, 17:41
used to play loads - well before i got a pc etc
2nd ed is still my fave by miles - simplistic and very damn good

bah i miss playing regularly

Shockwave
11-09-03, 17:43
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
But I don't want to be level one again.

*Sniff*

:(

Level 1 is fun! Bluffing that you're a level 12 Mage using Cantrips in a bar full of yokels is hilarious to roleplay out. :D

Prefer the modern day/future-based games personally. World of Darkness (Mages rule!) is the biggie of course. :)

Shock.

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 17:49
Originally posted by Shockwave
Level 1 is fun! Bluffing that you're a level 12 Mage using Cantrips in a bar full of yokels is hilarious to roleplay out. :D

Prefer the modern day/future-based games personally. World of Darkness (Mages rule!) is the biggie of course. :)

Shock.

Tried DnD in a "modern" setting?

An MP5 packing Lich with kevlar armour is not something to sniff at. o.o;;

Siygess
11-09-03, 17:56
Ah, well D20 modern is a different thing entirely.. I'd reccomend Spycraft if you like the AD&D system but arent a fan of instant n00b death :D

Pi-Oh-Pah
11-09-03, 18:52
Originally posted by Mingerroo
I play DnD 3E and run my own campaign as opposed to any store bought campaigns. My 3 players are new and so I am I (to DMing anyway). Just thought I'd find out who else loves this game :)

I first played in '83 - good times man

now if someone brought out a AD&D MMORPG then that would pwn everything

HellHound
11-09-03, 19:02
Originally posted by Pi-Oh-Pah

http://www.turbinegames.com/products/index.php?section=dnd

Guess we'll just have to wait and see....

Pi-Oh-Pah
11-09-03, 19:21
Originally posted by HellHound

OMFG - Wanktastic :D

Breschau
11-09-03, 19:45
I lost contact with the group of friends I used to do p&p rpgs with a few years back :(

Never played 3rd ed, but played plenty of 2nd along with various other rpgs. Wasn't really that fond of the system (I'm not keen on the fighter-cleric-mage-thief style class system) but the system isn't a primary concern in p&p - it's the players and GM that makes it fun.

the 'original' Pool of Radiance the old SSI one? Where you'd get attacked by 87 orcs and stuff? Good times :)

Ozambabbaz
11-09-03, 20:24
yiaa :D bugbears 'n hobgoblins, mad carnage... and the customizable char appearances, great stuff, could fiddle for ages with that game, hehe :)

Progenitor
11-09-03, 20:29

What about Neverwinter Nights (http://nwn.bioware.com/)?

It's fairly close.

The online multi play can be fun, but more often than not turns into repetative hack and slash, unless the module author puts some really interesting quests inside of it.

They have remade a few of the classic modules from the old days and they are pretty good.

-p

Ozambabbaz
11-09-03, 20:34
yea, + the new expansion Hordes of the Underdark, promises Epic Levels up to Level 40 8|

Mingerroo
11-09-03, 22:42
Originally posted by Ozambabbaz
truly lovable game, played since '89 :)

...I was 3 :( DnD is fairly new for me because although I've had the books for a while nobody really wanted to play until recently.

....And 3 years later I was born :p Thats mad hehe :lol:

Pi-Oh-Pah
11-09-03, 23:23
Originally posted by Mingerroo

....And 3 years later I was born :p Thats mad hehe :lol:

LOL I was 16 when u were born young un'

HighRiseDrifter
11-09-03, 23:28

I was at Reading Games Fair in 83 when Gary Gygax turned up and got royally shafted by the audience over Unearthed Arcana. :D

I'm a first Ed man myself. Been playing and DM'ing since before AD&D reared its (reasonably) ugly head!

Hate 3rd ed with a passion. [whines and bitches] It's not pure AD&D anymore [/whines and bitches] :lol:

HellHound
11-09-03, 23:30
Originally posted by HighRiseDrifter
[whines and bitches] It's not pure AD&D anymore [/whines and bitches] :lol:

Quit your whining and bitching, and let us all sit in remembrance of a time when it wasn't even Advanced D&D.... :D

HighRiseDrifter
11-09-03, 23:37
Quit your whining and bitching, and let us all sit in remembrance of a time when it wasn't even Advanced D&D.... :D

:lol: I would still have my original dice that came with that first red basic D&D box but one of my mates burnt them all whilst I was outside having a ciggie. That would have been about 1986 or so. Still haven't forgiven him!

Pi-Oh-Pah
12-09-03, 00:15
Ive got about 15 sets of (incomplete) dice knocking round the house - my kids plsy with em sometimes (keeps em quiet)

Kugero
12-09-03, 00:23
AD&D 1st Edition but I haven't played since like '85 or something. I've still got all the books stashed away somewhere ...

Smugly
12-09-03, 07:15
Aye was running a campaign, but to be truthful computer gaming's the bane of DND. I can't be arsed to run a campaign since I'd rather be the character than a DM and nobody else wants to run a campaign.

Didn't buy DND 3.5. The book didn't seem to be enough of a change so I thought there was no way in hell I was giving money to them for a rules update that could probably fit on 3 sheets of A4.

bounty
12-09-03, 07:37
2e is SO much better than 3e. Don't play anymore though, don't have free weekends of staying up all night and sleeping all day sunday. :/

•Super|\|ova•
12-09-03, 07:47
I've played D&D, AD&D and Cyperpunk 2020 for like 7 years or so. True RPG's rule.

12-09-03, 11:11
I started when I was like 12 or something (I'm 29 now) on basic D7D (you know basic, expert, companion, master and imortal rule sets)

Moved on to AD&D after that (which I think was 2nd Ed at that point) but only really used the Dragonlance setting (occasionally we let the GM shaft us in Ravenloft because Lord Soth ended up there and it was a nice cross over in that respect)

I own the new D20 D&D but I must confess the cover has never even been opened (I'm a bit of a hoarder) and I havent actually played a game in years.

Its partly because we went a bit RP mad at that point and bought most of what was on the market - I own BattleTech/MechWarrior, Prime Directive (a bad ST:OS RP), Aliens, Cthulu, ST:TNG, CyberPunk (a must for anyone here), Judge Dredd, Star Wars (the original RP), Star Wars (new D20 version), Heavy Gear (ok not really an RP) and Warhammer Fantasy RP. I even used to own Top Secret (wish I could get my hands on that again - soo cheesy). My friends also had these games called Millenniums End, Pendragon, Car Wars (I think it was called that - Max Mad RP basically), MERP and some Wild West based RP (name totally escapes me). Interstingly though I've never played (nor had any friends who owned) Vampire, GURPS or ShadowRun

Thats said I did play a game of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay last night

HighRiseDrifter
12-09-03, 18:16
Originally posted by 5150
Car Wars (I think it was called that - Max Mad RP basically)

Car Wars was never really a roleplaying game. More like a turn based wargame. Still damn good fun though.

Originally posted by 5150
some Wild West based RP (name totally escapes me)
Boot Hill perchance?

I have more roleplaying games than i can think of (or can be arsed to put down here). I've got most of the ones quoted plus a lot of obscure ones too. Everything from SLA Industries to James Bond to Bunnies and Burrows. I've got two complete sets of books from 1st Edition AD&D still in their cellophane wrappers. Got them from Reading on the day they launched 2nd Edition AD&D and sold off the 1st ed books for a quid each! :D Sad I know but hey, i'm a fan of the hobby!

Did anyone else here go to the Reading Games Fairs at all?