PDA

View Full Version : (OT) - Big day for 2D fighting game fans

Lanigav
11-09-03, 15:50
Two super giant announcements!

CAPCOM VS SAMMY.

Believe me, I'm just as surprised as you. Also, its being made by Sammy (presumably Arc), and not Capcom. This is just going to flat out rule, although I would've preferred to see SNK vs SAMMY first. Oh well, maybe in the future.

And speaking of SNK and SAMMY, the latest KOF (not sure if its to be 2003 or 2004) has been now 100% confirmed to be on the Atomixwave this time around. That's right, King of Fighters will now be in 128-bit high res glory!! Release is expected for Spring of next year.

http://www.snk-capcom.com/

And to top it all off, one not so super giant but still awesome announcement. Guilty Gear Isuka (that's the official name for it now) will feature internet playability within the arcade cabinets. o_O Here's a rather small screen of it as well, with what looks to be an awesome clock tower stage.

http://www.zdnet.co.jp/games/gsnews/0309/11/images/sam01.jpg

jernau
11-09-03, 16:28
Sammy = ???

Spy<VS>Spy
11-09-03, 17:50
2d fighters are dead untill someone sits down and starts using their noodle. they are pretty much all the same. really, its time to think outside of the box, there is allot you can do with this point of view and i would like to see some creativity in the mix...

one of the first games i am going to make, getting into coding i going to be a 2d style game, and at the moment, if you wanna take things places where they have not gone before, look at the 2d fighters, other then graphicly they have been the same since mortal combat or killer instints...

meh, thats just my 16 bits.

Lanigav
12-09-03, 00:25
Sammy = Guilty Gear series

And Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct are infinetely different from the likes of King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Street Fighter, Darkstalkers, Samurai Shodown, Guilty Gear, and Last Blade, which are also really different from each other. If you're a really casual player though, you might not notice, but once you sit down and give each series a good, long playthough, the differences really start to show, particularly in the style, timing, priority, general feel, and functionality of each game.

Mumblyfish
12-09-03, 00:40
MY EYES!

They're so... happy...

I've spent the past hour or so gawping at the Guilty Gear screens, and you can really see the love gone into those sprites. And the insanity. Oh my, the insanity. I can only hope that it makes it's way to other consoles, as although I have a PS2, it sports my least favourite controller. Should make for some mega smashy 4-player action, at least.

Did anyone else notice the 4-player thing? 2 on 2 battles? Free-for-alls? Yes please, Sammy. Yes FUCKING please.

And Sammy vs SNK is a pleasant announcement. Although I'm still more psyched about SNK vs Capcom (seeing as SNK are making the latter, I have more confidence in them as developers), Faust kicking arse in the name of Sammy gives me a warm glow.

Helen Angilley
12-09-03, 00:43
Originally posted by Lanigav
And to top it all off, one not so super giant but still awesome announcement. Guilty Gear Isuka (that's the official name for it now) will feature internet playability within the arcade cabinets. o_O

I believe that's fairly common practise these days.

Sega (Or SEGA, whatever really) do it with a lot of their cabinets...hell, it's probably an integral part of the NAOMI board. Heh.

Mumblyfish
12-09-03, 00:59
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
I believe that's fairly common practise these days.

Sega (Or SEGA, whatever really) do it with a lot of their cabinets...hell, it's probably an integral part of the NAOMI board. Heh.
Bastards. It's because of stuff like this that it's hard to get 4-players all crowded round a screen, pointing and laughing at each other as they mess up combo after combo.

Console and Arcade Online Components for Dead kthxbye.