PDA

View Full Version : Who plays DAoC?

Marx
11-09-03, 04:23
Just Curious - List characters, realm/level/class and server...

If you don't have anything constructive to say, STFU and go post elsewhere.

Philubert, Alb/50/Merc, Percival
Dormk, Alb/50/Cleric, Percival

Pitspawn
11-09-03, 04:36
Ex DaoC player, soon to be DaoC player again if GOA ever f***ing sort out the subscription pages. Been waiting for almost 3 weeks to reactivate my account. *SIGH*

Anyways, my old characters were on Excalibur...

Inflammable Bloodlust 50th Fire Wizard RR4 L8
Pitspawn Bloodlust 47th 2 Handed Paladin RR2 (Dont even ask)
Ballista Bloodlust 24th Scout
BeatBox Bloodlust 20th Minstrel

I also had a buffbot level 46, but thats nothing to brag about i guess o_O

Heres a picture of my fire wizard (http://pitspawn.phpwebhosting.com/Files/Inflam.jpg)
Heres a picture of the expert albion keep defense (http://pitspawn.phpwebhosting.com/Files/goodalbs.jpg)
Oh and here is a picture of a ranger one shotting (http://pitspawn.phpwebhosting.com/Files/thanks.jpg) my wizard. That was a long time ago though, strangely the guy who shot me still plays.

Cass
11-09-03, 08:44
I used to run 2 accts simultaneously on Lancelot (Hyb) and Merlin (Alb). I'm kicking myself for not keeping one of them. I had a L50 Druid/42 Enchanter/24 Ranger/24 Nightshade on one acct and a 42 Firbolg Spear Hero. Spear hero had every spear in the game, even the DF drop and the Sheeroe Hills drop, and like 2-3 of every other one. All my chars were at least 500 in a tradeskill. Sold both accts for $800 USD.

DAoC is a great game but I burned myself out on it. Co-lead a large top 20 guild and played literally 12-18 hours a day, both accts fired up. I've been toying around with goin back, at least part-time. If you go to Lancelot Hibby check out the guild Cessation (http://guilds.camelotherald.com/guilds/guild.php?s=Lancelot&g=1171) and tell them "the real" Vaandy sent you. They are a great bunch of people.

Dream
11-09-03, 08:46
i heard the pvp is utter crap

Pitspawn
11-09-03, 12:33
I heard from neocron reviews that its boring, dull and buggy. Does that make it true? Nope.

Only way to judge a game is to test it yourself IMO. And to give yourself reasonable testing time too.

Only thing that does suck about DaoC is the European hosters, GOA. Who are the very definition of "fuck up" If I were in Mythics shoes i would fire the bunch of cowboys that GOA are, they spoil mythics prestine reputation.

Rith
11-09-03, 12:43
Originally posted by Dream

its not utter crap its just very different

you get a hell of a lot more people involved in the battles though...

it does lack the edge of the seat PvP you get in neocron though

Jesterthegreat
11-09-03, 12:50
i run a europe account and a US account (but US one is expired at the mo)

alb / pryd and mid / excal on europe

Krunky
11-09-03, 22:01
I played DAoC for almost 2 years..
Got:
50 Bard-Opy 6L0
50 Chanter-Skizzy 5L?
50 Hero-Krizunk 3L?
..and various alts..
All on Hib/Merlin..I still play off and on

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 22:04
Originally posted by Dream

I heard you're utter crap at PVP.

Roc-a-fella
11-09-03, 22:08
my friend plays albeion i think hes lv 42(SOMEWHERE around there) and hes a necromancer

zewy
11-09-03, 23:56
I played the beta of it :)

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 00:01
DAoC is fun until you get into the 40s and the level treadmill gets slower than I could put up with.

RvR is more of a soccer riot and less of a battle than I cared for. There is no collision detection so you couldn't hold a line, anyone could run into your bank ranks at will.

Sleawer
12-09-03, 00:03
How is the PvP in that game..? just the basics to make myself an idea.

Marx
12-09-03, 00:12
clickity-click PvP.

Right now whoever gets the stun up wins first.

:p

The PvP aspect is wholly determined by which class you play tho'.

Casters stay back and spread doom, healers try and keep fighters and casters alive, while fighters rush out to try and kill the healers and casters.

:D

Sleawer
12-09-03, 00:17
It's like playing a monk in neocron then? I see that freezers exsist everywhere :\

I like two kinds of chars in the games. Mages (I played clerics aswell, but only when the game allowed me to improve magically my combat habilities) and Rangers.

How is PvP with these two?

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 00:18
Casters stay back and spread doom, healers try and keep fighters and casters alive, while fighters rush out to try and kill the healers and casters

And assassins stalk the fringes of the fight looking for the cheap shot.

Don't forget the pets running around chasing people.

The battles are either out in the open or it is attack/defend at a castle or fort. At the high end of RvR they fight for Relics that give the holding side some ingame benefits.

Also, which ever side holds the most castles gets access to a good dungeon. It's always fun to be in there when another side takes a few castles and the access rights change to let in hordes of the enemy

Marx
12-09-03, 00:26
Another plus, lowbie ganking isn't frowned upon.

:D

Tho' it can only be done in the aforementioned dungeon which gets opened to whichever realm has the most keeps.

Sleawer
12-09-03, 00:27
What means "RvR"? and all the battles are in huge groups, or there are combats type duel aswell?

Marx
12-09-03, 00:33
Realm vs. Realm

There are three realms, Albions (mainly human) Hibernians (prissy elves and stuff) and midgardians (midgets and trolls mainly).

They all fight eachother in their frontiers to gain control of keeps and such.

Most combat that goes on is group (up to 8 people total) vs. group.

Duels don't happen much in terms of Realm vs. Realm. Tho' you can challange runners... er... players of your realm to duels to see who is stronger, 1337er, etc.

Lucky Sparks
12-09-03, 00:43
merlin hyb

50 bard .. egh
50 chanter .. improv
50 nightshade .. leethal injection

that game used to be the shit. But after a few level 50 chars the relic runs and policics got tiresome. The nightshade was still the most fun ever.

Sleawer
12-09-03, 00:44
Sounds like fun. I should pay a visit to the official site :p

Helen Angilley
12-09-03, 00:45
I hear the game is suffering quite a lot, financially that is.

Anyone able to elaborate on that?

Marx
12-09-03, 00:51
Lemme' say it this way. 3 expansions in like a 2 year period = they need money, so yeah Helen, they're probably hurting financially.

Thundra
12-09-03, 19:05
i used to play DAoC but i got bored fastish.
got 47 theurg
41 reaver
bunch a other 10 - 20ish chars

graphics are great

gameplays a bit to dull for me.

i dunno why but spend 3 hours in a grp pressing 7 over and over put me in regular comatosed states. and if u use afight then u press 123 instead.

RvR is great fun at first as some fights are amssive but its not long till u realise its just run run run run mezzmarised dead. adn that also gets a tad tirsom.

there no potions / medi packs etc etc

this is good as it forces team play.

it is also bad as its boring as hell to solo and u never need to go to town and shop u can spend several lvls out hunting and only reason to go back is to either sell stuff or buy a new weapon.

basically i played it for 5 months because i had friends there and the graphics were pretty engrosing i have to say - especialy on my bros radion 9200 or what ever its called (that water is pretty damn amzin lookin)

but if u like neocrons style of play i dont think it will keep u hooked to long as its basically a text based rpg with a rather pretty background slapped in it

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 19:25
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
I hear the game is suffering quite a lot, financially that is.

Anyone able to elaborate on that?

Not really, I cover this game for DAoC Catacombs so I watch it pretty closely. They have had very stable customer base and Mythic has been hiring employees.

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 19:27
Originally posted by Marx
Lemme' say it this way. 3 expansions in like a 2 year period = they need money, so yeah Helen, they're probably hurting financially.

It is amazing how ignorant some people are.

Expansions = the game is doing well and has money for side projects.

EQ releases an expansion per year and their customer base is still growing.

A game is hurting for money if they talk about an expansion but never manage to get around to releasing it.

Judge
12-09-03, 19:33
I really liked a few aspects of DAoC when I played on my mates account for a while.

1) I didn't see a bug in a month of playing, it was very embarrrasing introducing him to NC afterwards. >_<

2) The graphics and the way that the game is layed out.

I didn't like the leveling, the losing XP when you die and the click click click of casting spells whilst leveling.

Maybe I didn't spend long enough playing it, but it just started to annoy me after that.

HellHound
12-09-03, 19:35
Originally posted by Alex Mars
A game is hurting for money if they talk about an expansion but never manage to get around to releasing it.

Stopwatch at the ready. Waiting for someone to draw the obvious comparison.... :D

But on-topic:

CAPITALISM

If a company feels that a large portion of their player base will buy any expansions, they'll quite happily milk it for all it's worth. If said expansion succeeds, they can then feel justified thinking the same portion would quite happily take their medication, STFU, and proceed to buy another.....

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 19:40
Expansions serve two purposes: they bring new stuff in for the players that are already in the game and they put a second box for the game on the shelf to catch the eye of potential new players. They serve the purpose of customer retention and attracting new customers.

I'd still be playing DAoC but I am burned out on fantasy in general and level treadmills in specific. I am going to be back in DAoC for a bit when I get my beta test account for the new expansion that is coming.

Marx
12-09-03, 20:19
SI and the housing expansion were both very shoddy peices of work.

The only thing which kept people in them (the lands added on with the expansions) after release were the promises of fixes.

A reletively bug-free expansion is a good sign, a rushed heap of junk isn't.

:rolleyes:

Alex Mars
12-09-03, 20:34
Originally posted by Marx
SI and the housing expansion were both very shoddy peices of work.

The only thing which kept people in them (the lands added on with the expansions) after release were the promises of fixes.

A reletively bug-free expansion is a good sign, a rushed heap of junk isn't.

:rolleyes:

Now you are verging off into deliberate falsehoods. Are you really so pathetically enamoured of NC that you have to lie about other games to make yourself feel better?

SI was pretty much bug free and the housing patch only had some issues that have all been resolved in the three months or so since release (unlike some games we can mention that still have bugs from the initial release).

It must really eat at your gut like an ulcer to see other games doing well while the game you chose to give religious devotion to is stumbling along.

Oh yes, about this:

3 expansions in like a 2 year period = they need money

You are once again amazingly uninformed, the housing expansion (aka expansion 2, a major piece of work) was a free download.

Marx
12-09-03, 23:43
Now you are verging off into deliberate falsehoods. Are you really so pathetically enamoured of NC that you have to lie about other games to make yourself feel better?

Negetive.

SI had major graphics glitches with the poor radeon users, a quickfix settled that.

drops were completely buggered because of the new 'random' loot generator.

damage amounts had to be majorly adjusted, in the first 3 weeks of release it was virtually impossible to walk through avalon city, even with groups.

The 'faction/sypathy' status betwixt the dragon-people and the snake-women didn't work for awhile.

Those are just some of the more minor issues that plagued SI.

Housing expansion issues:

Crash on entrance < big and most common.

For the first couple of days people that logged out in the expansion zones found that their bodies stayed ingame about another 5 minutes.

And also the various housing glitches.

You are once again amazingly uninformed, the housing expansion (aka expansion 2, a major piece of work) was a free download

TEH HAWR HAWR.

Gee, think I don't know that?

The housing expansion was much like DoY is to us. People were bored, and needed cash sinks badly... the housing expansion provided that and much more. If Mythic hadn't done that, they would've lost more people due to sheer boredom. Now you have people going and and killing named boss mobs to get various trophy bits of them for their, or their guilds house.

I can agree it was a major peice of work, however it was one that was not fully finished, as is made obvious that even with the more recent patches you find fairly decent sized bug fixes.