PDA

View Full Version : What 3D App did Kk use??

SirSensi
11-09-03, 03:16
What do you think KK's artists used to create our lovely game?
I think they used 3DS Max. Maybe Lightwave. My bets on 3DS Max though... what do you think?

Lexxuk
11-09-03, 03:24
I rekon they used the tekton engine or whatever it is, licence the engine, take it from there.

SirSensi
11-09-03, 03:44
I mean what did they (the artists) use to make all the models? Inatially.. before they get dumped into the engine... :D

G.0.D.
11-09-03, 03:51
99% percent sure they used 3ds 2 model...

dumped it into some 3d engine... errm i forget the name

SirSensi
11-09-03, 04:05
Tekktonic Engine, I believe :)

I was thinking the same thing because of the way the models and textures are displayed. ;)
But what if they used Lightwave to Model, Maya to Animate and create the particle effects, then export as a FilmBox (.fbx). Then Import into 3DS Max and then export to the Engine :D

G.0.D.
11-09-03, 04:09
well they have pictures of them working on models in 3ds max :P

no tekktronic is the name of there hybrid engine..

errr common i used 2 know what it was called :P

SirSensi
11-09-03, 04:20
where are those screens??
Can you send me the link thru PM or post?
Thanks

(I really wanna see this)

G.0.D.
11-09-03, 04:21
on reakktors main page

they have a guy working on one of the vehicals, and if my memory serves me its in max

Psychoninja
11-09-03, 04:26
They used paint :p

FBI
11-09-03, 04:35
Originally posted by SirSensi
Tekktonic Engine, I believe :)

I was thinking the same thing because of the way the models and textures are displayed. ;)
But what if they used Lightwave to Model, Maya to Animate and create the particle effects, then export as a FilmBox (.fbx). Then Import into 3DS Max and then export to the Engine :D

From what i know, they licensed the Genesis3D (http://www.genesis3d.com/) engine, worked
on their own outdoor terrain engine, mixed both engines together
and called it the Tekktonic engine. Hybrids arn't so bad afterall?

:angel:

Shujin
11-09-03, 04:42
damn u FBI, i was bout to say all of that ;/ btw, yea its Genesis 3d, ACT is the filetype of Genesis 3d Models. although dont try to download genesis 3d just so u can try to edit models or anythin bczu they are compressed, and after decompression they dont work bcuz they are encrypted or somethin cuz i cant get em open ;/ i wanted to make a new image for plasma cannon but cant

ps. look at screen shots of face of mankind and ull see the gfx are basicly 90% the same, i also seen a screenie of it raining on one of there maps and it looked straight out of neocron

SirSensi
11-09-03, 04:58
Thanks for the Link to the site :D

I wasn't planning on tweaking the gfx or pics just wanted to know what Application they used to create the models

And that is partly why game companies compress there files and compile them into a format that the Game Engine can understand and render. There are other reasons, and each game co. has there reasons :angel:

Shujin
11-09-03, 05:15
Originally posted by SirSensi
Thanks for the Link to the site :D

I wasn't planning on tweaking the gfx or pics just wanted to know what Application they used to create the models

And that is partly why game companies compress there files and compile them into a format that the Game Engine can understand and render. There are other reasons, and each game co. has there reasons :angel:

u wont b able to edit the files dude ;/

SirSensi
11-09-03, 05:54
Originally posted by Shujin
u wont b able to edit the files dude ;/

I know.
I'm not trying to edit those files:eek:.
I just wanna see this game in pre-production...

{MD}GeistDamnit
11-09-03, 06:20
your all wrong :D

geometry of levels and terrain are made with an "engine" the characters,weapons,items,gogo's,beds,dynamic objects,signs,fences of op's are all made in a 3-d app like max. but my bet is they used lightwave. just since I have modeled in LW and 3DS and the characters look like they were made in LW. The characters of deus ex are similar to the neocron ones and they used LW too ;)

SirSensi
11-09-03, 06:53
Very interesting thoughts {MD}GiestDamnit :D

I've also modeled in LW and 3DS AND Maya AND SoftImage XSI and I think they used 3DS, but, you say LW... hmmm interesting...
I realize that the Terrain and Geom of Levels are created within the Engine and the Char/items/etc, get made within a 3D app...

Don't think Im uber retarded :D. I do do 3D work professionally, I was just curious on what other people thought

Thanks for all the posts and the Information

Shujin
11-09-03, 08:27
Originally posted by {MD}GeistDamnit
your all wrong :D

geometry of levels and terrain are made with an "engine" the characters,weapons,items,gogo's,beds,dynamic objects,signs,fences of op's are all made in a 3-d app like max. but my bet is they used lightwave. just since I have modeled in LW and 3DS and the characters look like they were made in LW. The characters of deus ex are similar to the neocron ones and they used LW too ;) .ACT :wtf: .. Genesis 3d = only proggy that uses that format.. and i didnt mean that the maps were made with it, but i do think that the actors / models for most shit was. i bet KK used 99% free stuff to create neocron, free engine, free gfx proggies free everything.

the maps are in bsp form

Al3X
11-09-03, 08:39
i dont believe its genesis 3d O_o worked with that engine but its shit (for commercial games, nice for education though)
it looks shit. neocron looks (at least less :P) shit

Shujin
11-09-03, 08:41
Originally posted by Al3X
i dont believe its genesis 3d O_o worked with that engine but its shit (for commercial games, nice for education though)

well ive dl'd the genesis 3d world editor and viewer and to tell u the truth imo i think neocron is made with it >.<

ps. it does look like shit but still if u look at it as a whole and with nice textures it would be less shitty, ie: neocron

Al3X
11-09-03, 08:49
genesis engine cant handle big open spaces.. mostly only indoor stuff..
wasteland anyone? looks like an open space to me :D

Shujin
11-09-03, 08:50

nc cant handle big open spaces >.< fog anyone? ever go out into wastelands ull always see a cutoff no matter how good gfx card u got ;/ and its annoyin as shit

FBI
11-09-03, 09:09
.ACT :wtf: .. Genesis 3d = only proggy that uses that format.. and i didnt mean that the maps were made with it, but i do think that the actors / models for most shit was. i bet KK used 99% free stuff to create neocron, free engine, free gfx proggies free everything.

the maps are in bsp form

The Genesis3D engine is free to use, but to use it commercially
requires a license..which costs money.

They worked on neocron for 4-5 + years, the genesis3d engine
was more than likely revamped big time, alot of stuff rewritten
and modifed for neocron. It wasn't simply taken and put in like
a fat kid deciding what he wants on his pizza.

mmm pizza

Al3X
11-09-03, 09:17
wasteland (with or without fog) is still a big open space ;)
anyone remembers the half-life engine (genesis3d works with the same system)? outdoor spaces were actually a large hollow box (named "skybox") with the rest of the world inside it. i dont think that neocron works with that system because if you fire weapon in the air it doesnt explode when hitting the skybox (unless someone is smart enough write a code to prevent this)
anywayz i would like to hear a dev's word about this :)

Shujin
11-09-03, 09:20
wasteland (with or without fog) is still a big open space ;)
anyone remembers the half-life engine (genesis3d works with the same system)? outdoor spaces were actually a large hollow box (named "skybox") with the rest of the world inside it. i dont think that neocron works with that system because if you fire weapon in the air it doesnt explode when hitting the skybox (unless someone is smart enough write a code to prevent this)
anywayz i would like to hear a dev's word about this :)

u ever see the screen shots of ppl showin how a texture got messed up and is showing on the sky. well in those screen shots its ez to see the corners in the sky ;P NC wastelands are in a box

Al3X
11-09-03, 10:07
true
but
its still a big open space :P
hmmmmz that would explain the low fps in outdoor area's and especially near outpost (lots of polygons)

Shujin
11-09-03, 10:16
true
but
its still a big open space :P
hmmmmz that would explain the low fps in outdoor area's and especially near outpost (lost of polygons)

also i got a very fucked up bug i guess with ati vid card, anyway sometimes i look up or down and the entire worlds texture changes, and it dont really do anythin in wastelands cept 1 thing, it makes the ground look like patchs, i can see where the texture loops or the polygons of the ground or somethin cuz it has a huge box shape and then another and another and another on all 4 corners

Al3X
11-09-03, 12:00
post it on the bugtrader forum :)

Seminus
11-09-03, 12:05
We use 3Dsmax and Photoshop for 3D-Art.

For levels we use our own tools. Hope this helps...

Nidhogg
11-09-03, 12:09
Also, the Neocron engine is called "Tekktonic" which is a fusion of a licensed, highly-modified Genesis 3D engine for interior levels (e.g. Neocron) and an entirely custom-built exterior engine for exterior levels (e.g. the wastelands).

N

Al3X
11-09-03, 12:30
aah you guys already scared me by letting me think that g3d was used for outdoor :P. anywayz i still wonder why the fps is so low outdoor... any comment on this?

Omnituens
11-09-03, 18:09
aah you guys already scared me by letting me think that g3d was used for outdoor :P. anywayz i still wonder why the fps is so low outdoor... any comment on this?

D3D my friend, D3D...

Originally posted by SomeDude
they used paint

yeah, in windows 3.11... :lol:

Benjie
11-09-03, 19:18
Neocron was designed on a hybrid of programs.

Shoot 'em up construction kit and 3D construction kit: 3D virtual studio. :p

(Damn you if you get why this is funny! You are teh oldschool!)

Shujin
11-09-03, 19:21
Originally posted by Seminus

then maybe u can help with my request i made on modification forum? the textures for the weapons are all hidden in with the .act file ( i think bcuz we cant find them anywhere else o.0 ) and i was hopin a dev could share the .3ds file with us, it wouldnt do any harm cuz we couldnt change it and use it in nc bcuz we'd need the .act now .3ds

Omnituens
11-09-03, 20:34
then maybe u can help with my request i made on modification forum? the textures for the weapons are all hidden in with the .act file ( i think bcuz we cant find them anywhere else o.0 ) and i was hopin a dev could share the .3ds file with us, it wouldnt do any harm cuz we couldnt change it and use it in nc bcuz we'd need the .act now .3ds
ive been thinking, the character textures are sorted separetly, so doesnt the game have to retexture the whole model again and again every time it appears ingame? is that ineffienct? or have i got something wrong?

Al3X
11-09-03, 21:17
Originally posted by Omnituens
D3D my friend, D3D...

G3D = Genesis3D (it wasnt a typo :rolleyes: )

Shujin
11-09-03, 21:22
Originally posted by Omnituens
ive been thinking, the character textures are sorted separetly, so doesnt the game have to retexture the whole model again and again every time it appears ingame? is that ineffienct? or have i got something wrong?

o.0 i'z got no idea 0.o
all i know is the textures for skins and some other stuff is in the gfx.pak file

but the textures for weps and shit aint anywhere to be found in that, and someone on modifiaction forum ( not sayin mod forum bcuz last time i did i got fuckin banned bcuz someone didnt read my shit right [Nid's edit - you were banned for your reaction to the edit, not the edit itself and I will ban you again if you treat a moderator is a similar manner in the future. ]) :rolleyes: they said it was in the .act files along with the model. but cant open teh .act file for ovious security reasons but if they gave us .3ds's and textures to play with we could at least test some shit with em out of game

Omnituens
11-09-03, 21:27
G3D = Genesis3D (it wasnt a typo :rolleyes: )

D3D = Direct 3D

i was refering to the fact that OpenGL is faster than D3D.

so dont use that rolleyes.

[edited for flaming contents before mods saw it]

Al3X
11-09-03, 23:51
soz, misunderstood

D3D my friend, D3D... sounds pretty sarcastic ;)

Omnituens
11-09-03, 23:59
soz, misunderstood

D3D my friend, D3D... sounds pretty sarcastic ;)
if i was being sarcastic, I would have been the one using the rolleyes :lol:

SirSensi
12-09-03, 01:07
Originally posted by Seminus

Yay :D! Thanks for posting that Info :)

And yes, it does help, alot :D

Also, the Neocron engine is called "Tekktonic" which is a fusion of a licensed, highly-modified Genesis 3D engine for interior levels (e.g. Neocron) and an entirely custom-built exterior engine for exterior levels (e.g. the wastelands).

Thanks for the Info Nidhogg :). Very very very useful stuff for me to know...

I was skeptical about the app because when I purchased 'Retail' on the inside front cover there is a Wireframe Mesh of a CopBot with Bounding-Box Information displayed and I was curious cos I had only dabbled a bit in 3DS Max at the time.

But now Im certian thanks to all the replys and personal opinions form everyone who posted, now as for this thread... it can be closed whenever the Mods see fit to do so :D... I've recieved the Information that I was looking for.

Once agian thanks to everyone who posted hope to see you all real soon in-game :)

Lata

CoDi
12-09-03, 02:23
Actually, the outdoor levels are a "mix" of different techniques:

- a quadtree based level of detail terrain renderer (made inhouse).
- large objects (e.g. the Neocron gates, Tech Haven, some other buildings) are rendered using the Genesis3D BSP renderer. Since BSP is originally used to render indoor stuff, and here we use it to render the structures from the outside, this is not really... "performance boosting".
- outposts are made of a mixture of small, simple BSP buildings and actors (3D meshes, built in 3DS, e.g. outpost walls).

The memories of the task to integrate of the whole terrain engine into the Genesis3D framework (rendering, collision detection,...) and the merge of the terrain/BSP modules (to place BSPs in terrain levels) still return in my nightmares now and then... ;)

Another point is the date of the Genesis3D architecture. It is based on and was started in the days of Glide/DirectX5, where "hardware T&L" was a foreign word and Quake1 was state of the art. We've added T&L support during the development, but this simply can not keep up with more recent engines. And, with only two or three programmers at any time, and a not-so-trivial game to finish, there never was time, money and ressources to re-work the whole thing to really benefit from hardware T&L. Raw CPU power is still the most important factor with this engine.

Oh, last comment: the BSP levels are mainly done in WorldCraft (geometry and textures), then imported to and compiled with our modified version of GEdit (the G3D level editor), and finally finished with our tool called "Neocron Game Editor" (to place objects, NPCs, sounds, and (m)any other types of content).

Shakari
12-09-03, 03:02

I am sure a dev said:
neo uses a very highly modified version of the genesis3d engine for the city and a custom made on for the wastelands

FirestarXL
12-09-03, 03:10
Interesting post Codi, thanks for that! I grinned when I saw you used wordcraft - I remember back when it was shareware for quake1/2. I paid my however much it was and received a nice shiny copy of worldcraft 1.6 on CD.

Great stuff! :D

G.0.D.
12-09-03, 03:24
ooh gimmy this neocron editor... ill give u a coke for it?

Al3X
12-09-03, 07:41
tnx codi thats what i wanted too know :)
is there any plan for future reworking of the "outdoor system" ?

FBI
12-09-03, 11:04
Originally posted by CoDi
The memories of the task to integrate of the whole terrain engine into the Genesis3D framework (rendering, collision detection,...) and the merge of the terrain/BSP modules (to place BSPs in terrain levels) still return in my nightmares now and then... ;)

To even say you survived from this is a maracle in itself ;)

I can't imagine the horror that had to be endured, it's mind boggling :D

t0tt3
12-09-03, 18:02
3D app? hmm where can I buy that app? I only have a Plaza 3 app :(

Seven
09-10-03, 05:07
Originally posted by CoDi
Raw CPU power is still the most important factor with this engine.

How much CPU power are we talking to run the game in max detail and have over 30fps in big battles?

Because my Athlon 2800 XP with a gig of ram doesn't even give me smooth gameplay in big fights.

Shujin
09-10-03, 05:23
damn thats a holy reserection

Vokus
22-08-07, 11:27
Is there any BSP-Viewer in the world, only to look into some old neocron bsp-maps from Beta or NC1 ?

I donīt want an editor, only a viewer...

Vampire222
22-08-07, 12:47
Can you find any older thread to bump up lol, this is written on parchment...

Nidhogg
22-08-07, 13:25
Please create a new thread instead of resurrecting ancient, ancient threads. This is just going to confuse people.

N