10-09-03, 22:56
My frame rates suck
I have p3 933
756 mgs of ram pc100
a gfx 5600 ultra
and like 60 gigs of free HD space
Using DSL

If I turn down all settings in ingame options
I still get the same frame rate, which is, while looking at other chars 30 maximum
though once pple start shooting it droops to any where from 11 to 18 fps
AA is not on.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to get the frame rate
up, besides buying new mb etc.

QuantumDelta
10-09-03, 22:57
Same, I don't think it can really be upped easily..what OS are you using?

Spoon
10-09-03, 23:00
You get 11 to 18 fps?, hell that's great compared to my 3 to 5 fps, when the shit starts flying......:p

Turn force fog distance "On", if you haven't already..
I use Hardware rendering, instead of Software rendering, it gave me a decent fps boost.

Indrid Cold
10-09-03, 23:04
I am starting to think that the Neocron Engine doesn't use GPUs at all. instead it just uses the CPU. Because on faster machines it runs faster, but if said fsater machine has a crappier graphioc card than mine it won't make a difference.

Frame rate in this game is something that it really hard to make it into the thirty plus.

joran420
10-09-03, 23:07
heh i used to get 10-20 fps not doing anything and 1-3 fps in battles...omg that sucked I was using an ATI 7000 with 512 MB PC 133 on a 800 mghtz machine...I just upgraded to a p4 2.4 ghtz with ATI 9500PRO :) so now my FPS rock

athon
10-09-03, 23:10
Perhaps not something everyone should be doing, but I personally went into Services on my Windows XP Pro and disabled or switched to manual mode services that I don't use (eg. this computer doesn't have a printer attached - kinda pointless running the printer spooler). That improved my framerates.

Athon Solo

Kugero
10-09-03, 23:15
*looks for Scikar*

if I remember correctly he had some decent advice on fps problems ...

iainy13
11-09-03, 00:22
Ya here is what you can do without havin the possablility of dmgin anything.
1) Get newest drivers for your graphics card. Helps TONS aswell as directx 9.

2) close all programs using ctrl+alt+delete

3) use a program to clear all your ram for you

4) remove 2 registry entries by microsoft that lower your connection amazing amounts. Its legal an everything.

5) put fog on in options of neocron. Turn vegitation all off.

6) maybe lower graphics a little bit.

Anyways thats all the basic stuff i can rly think of right now. Anyways i will be back on in a few hours an post links to some progs for clearing ram an auto removing those entries. There r progs that put em back 2 so no worries. Also powerstrip lets u o-clock your graphics card an brighten screen ingames by pressin a button. Probly left some stuff out. O well. ALso u def wanna think about upgrading soon. I think you should get some ram anyways. I got 512 ddr for 80$ canadian so i bet u can afford it. HOpe that helps a little bit.

sl33py
11-09-03, 01:24
neocron is a very CPU intensive game, so your uber graph card doesn't make so much a difference. If you want framerates, you need to buy a better cpu/mainboard/ram
I know your pain, got a p3 myself

Syntax-Error
11-09-03, 01:27
Is there another way to lower vegitation other than the slider on F11???

4) remove 2 registry entries by microsoft that lower your connection amazing amounts. Its legal an everything.

WHich are???

___T-X____
11-09-03, 01:32
Youve got a Ferrari Graffics Card Engine in a Skoda Body. Upgrade the whole pc mate, dont try to just buy a decent graffics card and get away with it that way.

A pc is only as good as the next component.

Syntax-Error
11-09-03, 01:57
Well mines pretty basic

1.4 athalon
256k memory
Gforce4 MX
ADLS 512k

ReDim
11-09-03, 02:28
Originally posted by Clothing_Option
My frame rates suck
I have p3 933
756 mgs of ram pc100
a gfx 5600 ultra
and like 60 gigs of free HD space
Using DSL

If I turn down all settings in ingame options
I still get the same frame rate, which is, while looking at other chars 30 maximum
though once pple start shooting it droops to any where from 11 to 18 fps
AA is not on.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice to get the frame rate
up, besides buying new mb etc.

Your P3 933MHz is fast enough to run higher framerates.

You have sufficient amount of RAM but it's SD-RAM and only 100MHz so that slow it down alot, upgrading to PC133 will give you an emprovement. MAJOR BOTTLENECK HERE.

Considering the nature of the graphics engine, you would get higher framerate with a GeForce 4 Ti 4200, or better yet a FX 5900, but it's a damn fine card you got there, so it isn't much of a problem, though the wrong drivers might be. If possible use one of the newer Detonator referance drivers from NVidia.com (http://www.nvidia.com)

The ammount of free space on your HDD, but you didn't state any information about it, so it might be lagging too.

your internet connection shouldn't effect the game performance to much, i haven't noticed any differance between the FPS on a 1GBit and a 256/128 kbit line.

So your main problem is turtle speed RAM, graphic drivers and HDD speed might also add to the problem.

Using the newest DirectX, a Duron 800 MHz with 512MB (PC133) SD-RAM, GeForce 4 Ti 4200( 128MB DDR-RAM) ATA-133 HDD gives me a average of 45 to 50 FPS most of the time, a busy Plaza it's down to 30 FPS.
I can double the framerate by using my Pentium4 2.53 GHz with 512 MB (PC3300) DDR-RAM and the same graphics card and HDD.
My Duron 800 still gives more frames per second then your monster when i use the normal GeForce 2MX (32 MB DDR-RAM) and it's normal ATA-66 HDDs, then i get about 30 fps in the wastelands and 15-20fps in a busy Plaza.

//EDIT
I always use Hardware rendering with a resolution of 1024*768x32.
with Maxed details excpt for vegetation detail set to minimum.

Thundra
11-09-03, 02:48
silliest thing for me was standing in me at my fps was about 30ish whihc aint to bad. thought it see if fidlig th options would change it. so i turn T&L on to see what it drops to and it went up to 50 fps

no idea why. when ya outside it makes it go down.

but u basically needa faster procceser id say. im on pentium 4 2ghz and my fps inside areas is fine. outside is fine untill either lots of people turn up or i got T&L on in a very grassy area.

Clothing_Option
11-09-03, 19:21
Originally posted by iainy13
Ya here is what you can do without havin the possablility of dmgin anything.
1) Get newest drivers for your graphics card. Helps TONS aswell as directx 9.

2) close all programs using ctrl+alt+delete

3) use a program to clear all your ram for you

5) put fog on in options of neocron. Turn vegitation all off.

6) maybe lower graphics a little bit.

Anyways thats all the basic stuff i can rly think of right now. Anyways i will be back on in a few hours an post links to some progs for clearing ram an auto removing those entries. There r progs that put em back 2 so no worries. Also powerstrip lets u o-clock your graphics card an brighten screen ingames by pressin a button. Probly left some stuff out. O well. ALso u def wanna think about upgrading soon. I think you should get some ram anyways. I got 512 ddr for 80$ canadian so i bet u can afford it. HOpe that helps a little bit.

Please list the progs

Clothing_Option
11-09-03, 19:22
Thank you everyone for your advice
I'm going to upgrade the MB/CPU/RAM

Omnituens
11-09-03, 20:57
I can't seem to change my AGP acceleration settings, it is set to 1x now, it should be 4x

both my mobo and gfx card support this setting but i cant find the option to change it, be it in the BIOS, jumper settings or driver options. I dont like to use 3rd party programs.

i used to be able to change it with the latest nvidia drivers, but when i reinstalled them the other day after a HD crash, the option was gone. I have enabled coolbits (reg tweak) but no luck.

im on Win 2k and a GF4 MX 440.

any pointers?

Dribble Joy
11-09-03, 21:03
What am I doing wrong?
1.4 Athlon
512 DDR
lots of HDD space
Radeon 9500 with latest omega drivers

15 fps in plaza if im lucky O_o

Omnituens
11-09-03, 21:14
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
What am I doing wrong?
1.4 Athlon
512 DDR
lots of HDD space
Radeon 9500 with latest omega drivers

15 fps in plaza if im lucky O_o

1.4 Athlon is your prob.

im on a 1.4 DURON and i get better than that :wtf:

Lethal Virus
11-09-03, 22:28
Originally posted by Clothing_Option
My frame rates suck
I have p3 933
756 mgs of ram pc100
a gfx 5600 ultra

The processor could be upgrade a bit; ok a lot. The 100MHz RAM is probably what's killing your FPS the most. The video card is a good card so that wouldn't be causing the low FPS.

In the Direct3D Options of your video card, do you have the option to enable "Vertical Sync"? That helped my framerate out a lot.

Lucky Sparks
11-09-03, 22:54
xp 1800
768 megs ddr 333
ge force 4 ti 4200
adaptec 29160 scsi (running at 80)
35 gig ibm 80mg scsi HD
Nforce2 motherboard

overclocking video card
tweaked nvidia drivers
it is as tweaked and peaked as it gets without comprimising stability

ok i only get 50-60 fps running around in wastelands ...

30-40 in NC

and around 12-16 in plaza 1 when its busy

ok heres the deal though .. when i monitor my system it seems like in my case the processor is always at close to 100 % usage when playing. Ram isnt even close to full. So i am assuming that NC is very processor intensive.

Now to test my theory I swapped to another processor .. this time a barton core 2500 xp with double the cache on the chip. This greatly improved frame rates .. taking the rates in plaza 1 up to around 20 instead of 12-16 ...

I know its not great imporovement but it is better .. lol went back to the 1800 till I can afford a new chip though .. anyway i hope this test can verify that in my system at least the processor is the most utilized component with neorcon and was the cheapest easiest way to squeeze a few more frames out.

g/l clothing :D

Al3X
12-09-03, 12:30
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74994

that explains why your framerate is so low :)