PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Repulic - A few Questions.

Ren
10-09-03, 18:06
I've been playing Republic for a bit and although everyone thinks its a boring game (i myself just see it as a game that needs a little effort) i have a couple of questions to anyone else who has played it.

1) what is the button to get to the faction HQ screen?
2) Which is the home HQ state? (so i can lead into its story)

bleh.. over than that, i've been kicked up the arse and had people complaining coz i knock on there doors to much :P

Edit: please dont post how much you love/hate the game, i dont care :)

hinch
10-09-03, 18:09
whats the url to it ? sounds interesting ish

Ren
10-09-03, 18:12
http://www.republictherevolution.com/

hinch
10-09-03, 18:21
/me adds to list of games to buy

Helen Angilley
10-09-03, 18:24
Originally posted by Ren
I've been playing Republic for a bit and although everyone thinks its a boring game (i myself just see it as a game that needs a little effort) i have a couple of questions to anyone else who has played it.

1) what is the button to get to the faction HQ screen?
2) Which is the home HQ state? (so i can lead into its story)

bleh.. over than that, i've been kicked up the arse and had people complaining coz i knock on there doors to much :P

Edit: please dont post how much you love/hate the game, i dont care :)

1.) Not quite sure what you mean with this one...although I assume you're talking about the "power screen". There's a little orange button in the top left of the screen (Above your memos and the map screen), click that and it displays your Inner Circle, stats of the character you've clicked on as well as any other Factions you know about (Plus a few misc things like "Move HQ", "Kill Character", "Strengthen"....etc).

2.) Home HQ is the one you start with support in (ie For the first level, Shubnoi Industrial is your HQ District if you come up with a "Force" ideology at character creation).

Your final point....well, take things slow. Work with building up support in the Districts with the same Ideology as you then things will just start toppling like dominoes (I have, with the exception of one street, one-hundred percent support in the first town).

hinch
10-09-03, 18:25
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Your final point....well, take things slow. Work with building up support in the Districts with the same Ideology as you then things will just start toppling like dominoes (I have, with the exception of one street, one-hundred percent support in the first town).

now come you managed to get everyone to hate you in nc then?

Helen Angilley
10-09-03, 18:28
Originally posted by hinch
now come you managed to get everyone to hate you in nc then?

Who said Support = Love? :p

*Calls in an Alpha Squad on Hinch*

hinch
10-09-03, 18:29
oi nuoo

at least wait till i have the game so i know what j00 is on about

Ren
10-09-03, 21:26
i just freed some political prisoners and i'm hooked on it, although my computer aint great... it lags if i dont play on the map view :P

I'm waiting to get some bully-boy tactics, the whole point of this game to me is to break some skulls...

and i ask questions because the "version" of my game didnt come with a manual in the box........... actually......it didnt have a box.......or cd's.

QuantumDelta
10-09-03, 21:35
main page works for me, linked page = dead.

:P

Ren
10-09-03, 22:03
same here.... must be the mass volume from the nc forums.....

likley not.

Helen Angilley
10-09-03, 22:26
Originally posted by Ren
I'm waiting to get some bully-boy tactics, the whole point of this game to me is to break some skulls...

You'll start getting the "proper" Force powers (Heheh...) around _character_ level five or so...but, for obvious reasons, there's a limit to what powers you can get on a level (No Alpha Squad or Sniper Assassinations on the first level, for example).

Smugly
11-09-03, 05:11
I just want to know why I find the game sooo boring..... I should love it. I enjoy dubious political games. I want to establish a regime of brutality and terror, but I spend all my time waiting for actions to finish and......

Well lets just say I haven't gone back to it after an 8 hour desperate stint of trying to find something redeeming in it.

MacenzieWolf
11-09-03, 05:22
All it really is, is a board game with 3D cutscenes. But thats not to say the game isn't addictive and ejoyable. Im somwhere on the second city and i havent played it in a couple of days, im findinf Neocron more interesting as of late, but im sure i'll be playing it again soon.

EDIT: oh and Smugly there is a way of speeding up time you know =3

Breschau
11-09-03, 19:36
Originally posted by Smugly
I just want to know why I find the game sooo boring..... I should love it. I enjoy dubious political games. I want to establish a regime of brutality and terror, but I spend all my time waiting for actions to finish and......

I feel kinda the same way. I want to like it, it should be a game I like, I like the concept.. but I find myself not really wanting to load it up. And once it's loaded I usually end up thinking of other games to play.

I think there's two things that contribute to that for me (though not sure they're the actual cause, or if they just amplify it).

Firstly the fact it's real time. In most games that would mean it moves more quickly. In this game it slows me down. I have to wait for the timer to tick down to the next turn - I typically have my commands laid out 2-3 segments in advance and have that all entered within the first 10% of a turn. Even with the maximum speed timer, it's still a noticable wait. The only exception to this is the second reason..

Certain events and actions (eg, recruitment) you'll generally want to take control in. But to do so, unless you have really good timing (to speed control on map view, then take control of the action at *just* the right moment) you'll have to watch them walk to meet the target, shake hands, chat, walk to the destination, sit down, chat some more before you finally get to take control and do the sub-game. It's interesting enough the first few times, but after that I find myself really wanting to be able to just hit escape or spacebar to jump to the subgame bit.

Now I've only just gotten out the first town, so maybe if I keep playing things'll get better. But I'm not optimistic as these aren't issues of boring game so much as game implementation and interface getting in the way. I'll give it another go or five anyway. The Novistrana People's Front need leadership, after all.

Helen Angilley
11-09-03, 20:21
Just out of interest, after you speed up time are you keeping your cursor on the clock? If so, the time is still going at "normal" speed, you need to point your cursor over something else.

Likewise, a +2 speed is fast enough to allevate tedium, but not so fast that you'll miss a chance to tweak what goes on in an action.

Garm
11-09-03, 20:28
Damn that game kinda looks cool. Can't believe I never noticed it at the ole' computer store.

--Garm

Breschau
11-09-03, 22:54
Originally posted by Helen Angilley
Just out of interest, after you speed up time are you keeping your cursor on the clock? If so, the time is still going at "normal" speed, you need to point your cursor over something else.

Likewise, a +2 speed is fast enough to allevate tedium, but not so fast that you'll miss a chance to tweak what goes on in an action.

I am taking the cursor off (I noticed the cursor-over-means-normal-speed thing after a day or so of playing). I put it back over right at the end of the turn, so's it slows down for the last few seconds, meaning if something interesting happens at the start of the next segment I can revert to minimum speed and deal with it.

Still, even with maximum speed I find myself watching the clock go round a little too often - I feel a proper turn based mode would have benefitted more, since then you get enough time to do anything you want and just hit 'end turn' when you're ready rather than wait til it's ready instead. If it were multiplayer I would understand the real time mode a bit more. (mind you, I'm a fan of turn based over real time in general, so maybe a bit biased.. still, seems like it'd work better that way).