PDA

View Full Version : NPC's from the Spy

___T-X____
10-09-03, 13:30
has anyone else seen a rank 0/-28 PE skinned NPC fall from the sky to server no particular purpose ?

hinch
10-09-03, 13:35
lag/bug/whatever

ignore it it shouldnt be there

ericdraven
10-09-03, 13:50
I often see a nameless 0/0 PE in the wastelands. o_O

kurai
10-09-03, 13:57
err ... fall from the sky, not spy, presumably :D

But yes - seen them in a great many sectors.

Initially I put it down to random KK weirdness/bug - it's not like there's a shortage.

Shooting them never seemed to achieve much, so I just ignored them thereafter (except when I was hunkered down in a snipe spot concentrating on a target, and some would fall down nearby scaring the crap out of me :D)

However - It seems to be an odd form of "placeholder" avatar for a real character syncing in to the zone.

I first figured that out when waiting for an OP battle to start ... the "rain of PEs" would start shortly before the enemy appeared in the zone, and the number of PEs always roughly corresponded to the size of the force.

This was further backed up when one day, whilst waiting for the rest of my party to get to an OP I was scouting the PE rain started ... 4 PEs ... same as the number of people I was waiting for. There was nothing happening in the OP, and they were taking forever to arrive, so I idly started sniping one of the PEs ...
then I hear on clan chat one of the guys shouting to look out for enemy as he was losing health.

I told them there was bugger all else in the sector, and it must be a mob or something, but he kept losing health as I continued plinking away at the flying PE.

On the 4th shot I got the thing down to zero health, and at that exact moment I heard that the guy losing health had died, and needed a ress :lol:

Adding 2+2 together I took a potshot at one of the other 3 PEs ... lo and behold another one of the team reported losing a big chunk of health.

The connection seems pretty clear cut to me.

ericdraven
10-09-03, 14:02
Originally posted by kurai
However - It seems to be an odd form of "placeholder" avatar for a real character syncing in to the zone.

Yep. Once i was teamed with my mate (monk) as suddenly the "team arrow" was pointing at this strange 0/0 PE. :lol:

Jolt
10-09-03, 14:06
Back in beta4 i killed one and i ended up going with it. =/

jernau
10-09-03, 14:54
They seem to have been getting more common in the last month or so. I'm not sure if a recent patch made it worse or if it's related to server load but it's probably one or t'other.

Mighty Max
10-09-03, 15:01
the nameless 0/0 PEs in the wastes are players stuck in Synch. If they get outta synch they disappear at that place and appear where they synched to.

Seems that the server is putting them at default places with default skin and default skills when he doesnt know the real info of the player ... till it gets that needed info.

CR@SH
10-09-03, 15:04
I'm sure some of you have been at GM events where there 100 or so people running around and the lag/snc gets so bad that everyone turns into PE's im sure this is the same type scenario ;)

BlackDove
10-09-03, 15:27
They're weird actually.

When we were about to take the Tescom OP, we saw them in that area, and they assumed names of some other people who we only later saw coming with a tank and tagging the GR, then leaving. Apparently they tell the future :wtf:

kurai
10-09-03, 21:24
Originally posted by jernau
They seem to have been getting more common in the last month or so. I'm not sure if a recent patch made it worse or if it's related to server load but it's probably one or t'other. Yep - I started seeing them only in the last 2 or so patches - coincidentally about the time a lot of the "perma login sync with 50HP and no items" thing started happening to me.

Only time I'd seen anything similar before was back when Plaza 1 used to be jam packed with people, and you'd occasionally sync into the zone to see everyone running round with no name and that same default PE skin.

mdares
10-09-03, 22:34
yeah rule of 0/0 PEs: KOS...

u never know who it is... one time while staking out an op found 2 0/0 PEs... was like wtf... then they turned into enemies... scary shit it is...