PDA

View Full Version : How I would improve droning....

RayBob
10-09-03, 12:57
This is my list of everything that I would do to make droning more fun and more popular. I will NOT make any effort whatsoever to explain why I would change something. Why? Because this is my personal opinion from 9 months of daily droning. If someone agrees with me then they don’t need an explanation and if someone disagrees then nothing I say is going to convince them. I am not asking for you to debate my changes either, as this is simply my opinion.

1. Fix the bugs

--Switching from first to third person view when a drone launches
--Inability to launch a drone
--A drone leaves your inventory, does not launch, and then falls in front of you 20 seconds later
--Inability to pick up drones too close to towers and walls
--Drones getting stuck in towers and walls

2. Improve droning interface

--Make the local list, health bars, and compass visible while droning
--Eliminate the blinding that occurs when a drone is hit
--This blinding will now occur when the body of the droner is hit while in droning mode

3. Fundamental droning changes

--Change the formula for drone damage such that roughly 190 RCL and 160 WLP is enough to cap the damage on all drones
--Make drones easier to hit my having the pistol/rifle/heavy weapon reticle close twice as fast as it does on normal targets
--When you drop a drone it returns to your inventory
--Holy Paralysis and Soul Clusters will do very little damage to drones
--Improve ground collision further

4. Particle Nemesis improvements

--Give the Nemesis a reasonable amount of energy resistance
--Improve the maneuverability: top speed and ability to change directions quickly
--Increase the firing range slightly

5. Punisher improvements

--Make the Punisher the new choice for mob hunting by making it an MR drone with triple the armor of the MR-1000 and 1.5 times the damage

6. Add several new rare drones

--New drones that shoot AoE barrels (fire, energy, poison) that can stack like PSI barrels
--New KK drone (already coming) which must have: significant more damage than the KK-400, larger area of effect, good speed and maneuverability, and it should do some sort of "lasting" damage. [For example, after the Revenge blows and does its initial damage, it should create fire on the ground (similar in radius and power to the Holy Firestorm barrel). This would do some additional damage to the enemy to keep them busy healing and hopefully give you time to fly a 2nd KK to the enemy.]

7. Give droners a unique ability

--Drones can see and attack stealthed runners

Ray

Mirco
10-09-03, 13:12
This is good stuff. Making the fuzz occur when droner is hit is very good. That little bloodsplatter around the screens isnt nearly enough when you are fixed on a target.

I also agree that drones should be easier to hit in exchange for some better performance. Could be a problem with alot of ressing and building cause you might loose more drones.

One suggestion I would like to add. Make drones a little more sacrificable. Making them easier and cheaper to make.

Heavyporker
10-09-03, 13:36
A lot of those I like, but as a droner-

I don't like the idea of the AoE drones past what we already have in the rocket/kami/raygun drones.

Plus, the strength of drones is that weapons have difficulty locking on them, it won't be a good idea to give that away

Oh, no, I think that something as insanely high req as the Punisher should stay raygun, though with more armor, oh yes.

If you must have a MR drone, make a new one, something like the "Inescapable" , TL 118 and all that jazz.

I have difficulty understanding why KK can't fix that camera thing and the fence-sticking thing and the ground collision things.

Just giving all drones carte blanche in seeing stealthed runners would be overpowering. As I have said many, many times before - let scout drones see stealthed runners.

craio
10-09-03, 13:46
Some nice ideas.

For those who dont drone and thus dont know what ya see when the drone is hit ,this screen (http://www.geocities.com/gunshade/drone_screen.jpg) is whats flashing you to an epeliptic attack when hit.

SigmaDraconis
10-09-03, 13:51
1 2 and 4a agreed..the rest..no way o.0

RayBob
10-09-03, 15:29
Originally posted by Heavyporker
I don't like the idea of the AoE drones past what we already have in the rocket/kami/raygun drones.
Are you serious? How many rare spells does an APU have to choose from? How many rare rifles are there? And now how many rare drones do you take to an OP fight? One.

Many times an OP fight centers around 8-10 people on each side of the main entrance shooting back and forth trying to make progress. Now imagine that you fly your drone high above and start shooting poison or fire barrels on the 8 enemies gathered around the gate. Obviously it shouldn't be as strong as the APU's barrels but significant enough that it cannot be ignored. Now imagine that 2-3 droners are shooting barrels and they are stacking! Suddenly the droner has become a powerful member of the team. God forbid.

Plus, the strength of drones is that weapons have difficulty locking on them, it won't be a good idea to give that away
Drones are indeed difficult to hit for anyone other than an APU, but I am also asking for more speed and maneuverability so this is only fair.

Oh, no, I think that something as insanely high req as the Punisher should stay raygun, though with more armor, oh yes.

If you must have a MR drone, make a new one, something like the "Inescapable" , TL 118 and all that jazz.

I don't care if the Punisher stays as raygun; the point is that we need a rare hunting drone with decent armor and damage. Everyone else uses rares to hunt and we have to use a lousy MR-1000.

Just giving all drones carte blanche in seeing stealthed runners would be overpowering. As I have said many, many times before - let scout drones see stealthed runners.
Heh. The power of any team is in their monks and tanks who can't stealth. Even the PEs are very strong now and they have the shortest stealth. This ability will simply allow us to see the rifle spies that like to hang around at the edge of the fight and snipe. Rifle spies hardly ever decide a battle. I don't think this will make that big a difference at all. The most important thing it will do is discourage people from hunting for the droner's body. A stealthed rifle spy is a droner's worst nightmare. They simply walk the entire zone stealthed until they find us. It is ridiculous. Let the droners have some really powerful skill. Have you ever gone to the graves or swamp caves with a holy anti-poison sanctum PPU? It is insanely powerful and yet nobody is screaming for a nerf. As a droner there are already tons of things we can't do. We need something special.

Ray

RayBob
10-09-03, 17:18
KK, please do me a favor and just delete the droning class until you are ready to give it some real attention. Have any of you ever played a droner in PvP? I would pay a lot of money to stand behind you and watch you try. I'll even pay for a new monitor after you smash your fist through it.

APUs rip through Nemesis drones!!!! Give them some damn energy resistance RIGHT NOW. I am on the opposite side of a mountain and an APU still has my drone locked. I meant WTF is with that. If they hold down their mouse they RETAIN LOCK EVEN THOUGH I AM OUT OF SIGHT.

I am TRYING to have fun droning but it is nearly impossible. I am so close to giving up on this crap.

Psyco Groupie
10-09-03, 17:26
fix bugs .. but hey they arent too bad .. and as for the make drones godlike and liek flying monks... no

gizmojack
10-09-03, 17:28
Originally posted by RayBob
KK, please do me a favor and just delete the droning class until you are ready to give it some real attention. Have any of you ever played a droner in PvP? I would pay a lot of money to stand behind you and watch you try. I'll even pay for a new monitor after you smash your fist through it.

APUs rip through Nemesis drones!!!! Give them some damn energy resistance RIGHT NOW. I am on the opposite side of a mountain and an APU still has my drone locked. I meant WTF is with that. If they hold down their mouse they RETAIN LOCK EVEN THOUGH I AM OUT OF SIGHT.

I am TRYING to have fun droning but it is nearly impossible. I am so close to giving up on this crap.

Gee really? APUs are the easiest class to kill for droners, dying on an average of 5 hits. They can't stealth, they can't heal, and they can't hit me for jack. Do u even manuvaur? The beauty of drones is that u are comfirmed a hit as long as u have the bounding box. APUs however need to aim you, and we all know how god damn irritating it is to aim flying things in neocron. Do u start bombarding them from orbit before swooping down to chase them when they start running? How much RCL and WPW do u have?

I do however like your suggestion on lettings drones see stealthed players. Sounds cool, will give droners something unique and offer incentive to more peeps to take up droning.

Ryuben
10-09-03, 17:37
why not just delete drones all together and give em a stick :confused:

Jolt
10-09-03, 17:41
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
fix bugs .. but hey they arent too bad .. and as for the make drones godlike and liek flying monks... no

I agree fix the bugs and make some changes to the interface. And make drones more disposible(alot easier to make).

Dont give every drone the ability to see through stealth, limit it to scout drones or maybe just the LR scout one(would actually give them a purpose). Stealthers wouldnt stand any chance if something like a PB-20 or PN could see them.

SeXy Happy
10-09-03, 17:45
Or a rare scout drone that can see stealth would be cool. We only have the 2 drones that are rares....3 when revenge comes out. But a rare scout that can see stealth would be good. Can't shoot at them just see them is all.

RayBob
10-09-03, 17:51
Post 304...no more.

I'm done with the forums, a waste of time.