PDA

View Full Version : Speed up ur puter (XP) Part 1

Lexxuk
09-09-03, 23:54
Ok, there are ways to speed ur system up, some are known and common sense, some are obscure and maybe not known.

*BASIC*

Run Scandisk daily, followed by Defrag. If you do this every day, the performance increase will be very nice indeed over time, and should help it stop gettin all sluggish.

*INTERMEDIATE*

In XP, you have some service's running, you dont really need.

Thru Start/Settings/Control Panel/Admin Tools/Services, you'll be presented with a list of them. Some are started automatically, some aint, of the ones that are started on their own, you can safely turn them onto Manual, they are...

Messenger
Remote Registry
Task Scheduler
Secondary Logon
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Windows Time
Windows Management Instrumentation

If you know you are going to use any of the services, keep them at auto, otherwise, switch them to Manual.

=

Driver's. Update your drivers, not just your video card though, nah, that would be too easy. You can update your Modem, Video Card, Monitor, Motherboard (IDE/AGP etc..), Sound Card etc.. Newer driver's usualy offer a performance increase.

*ADVANCED*

BIOS Flash. Go to the proper site, upgrade your BIOS, but ONLY if you are not happy with your current BIOS, a mate of mine once tried to downgrade his BIOS from a beta version... one wasted mobo later O_o

=

Part 2 to come whenever :p

Ste-X
10-09-03, 00:03
part 2 , buy a new pc and dont use xp

REMUS
10-09-03, 00:04
nice, im to tired to actually do any of those things and my 120 gig hard drive takes for ever to defrag :(

u forgot to add over clocking ur cpu till it burns a hole in your house right down to the foundations :p

i got my 2.6 xp running at 2.25 ghz core clock speed so thats like erm 2.9 ghz?

but still pawning and owning with a 56k dial up peice of poo modem :)

MayhemMike
10-09-03, 00:05
Or , Go download one of those pop ups that say Speed test or speed up ur computer , those work all the time , i have about 50 on my PC , only takes me 10 min for NC to boot .

Ste-X
10-09-03, 00:06
mike using his hill billy computer!

hnlecter
10-09-03, 01:53
XP is the best on restart times, considering neocron gives me those "freeze the whole computer bug" and I barely even notice when it boots up in 5 seocnds!