PDA

View Full Version : Change newb MC5 (kewl idea this)

Lexxuk
09-09-03, 02:13
Right, atm u choose ur class and faction, and start in MC5 all setup, no problem there, cept, you know, if ur a newb who aint gotta clue.

So, my suggestion....

When you start off, and you click "make a new char" or whatever, you choose your Name and Sex, and thats it. You then synch into MC5, faction and classless.

Ok, now you get to walk thru newb MC5, and there are people sitting at desk's with logo's behind them of their faction, and their name's are "Bjorn Bjork, Recruitment, (Faction)" or whatever name you want. You get to go upto each, and they will give you a quick run down on their faction, what their faction does, what their faction goal is, and if its an easier or harder faction to start with. When you have read all the propoganda from all the faction's, you get a pop up window sayin "would you like to choose your faction now?" and a "yes/no" button, the list comes up if you choose yes, and you then click on the faction you want, and boom, your that faction, and you synch to the next room...

This next room has several classes standing around looking useful, their names would be "Brick House, Trainer (Chosen Faction)", you then talk to each of them, who will give you a detailed rundown of their class.

I.e. the Spy would say something like..

If you choose the Spy Class, your direct combat ability is very limited, you dont really have much in the way of constitution, but this is more than made up for with your higher Dex and Int. If you wanted to be a droner, or a constructor, researcher, hacker, or any trade skill like this, spies excel! We also get to use the best rifles and pistol's in the game. Would you like more information on something?

then the white list..

Droning
Rifles
Pistols
Hacking
Researching
etc..

Then a complete rundown of those things based on the Spies abilities.

With 100 Dex and 100 Int, Droning is a breeze for the Spy, a drone is a remote control machine, that can float in the air, and attack your target from a distance, leaving you safe and secure, unless you are found, other skill's useful for a droner are Repair's (to repair your drone) and research or construct to make your own drones, or even money from that tradeskill. Or you can be pure droner...

etc..

Now, when they have talked to them all, they get a pop up "Would you like to choose your class now?" Then they can choose their class, Tank, Spy, PE, Monk.

Synch to another room.

This room is the test room, which again has just 1 person in it, he or she would be called "Ivor Ardon, (Chosen Class), (Chosen Faction)".

Clicking him/her will let you test the weaponry available for that class, for PE's/Spy, drones, pistol's, rifles. For monk's, APU/PPU, for Tanks, Swords n Guns. When person is ready, they can click the NPC who will have an "I'm ready" option, this option will let them choose their class based on what they have learnt.

They will then be teleported to the normal MC5 area, as (chosen class) (chosen skill) (chosen faction) with enough knowledge of the game to see them through till whenever.

For ole timer's, they would get the normal interface, the training course only ever popping up for newly registered accounts.

What dya rekon?

Benjie
09-09-03, 02:17
Make class-less runners very pale and thin, with no hair on there body's. Make them look like they have just come out from those things in the first room. (what are those anyway?) I like this idea.

:)

MrBane
09-09-03, 02:17
You're spot on with that suggestion. Everything laid out, because the manual doesn't tell you anything you really need to know.

It would be easy enough to do... Hmmm.. Alternatively... Have it available as the Offline section of the game... You go through this before being allowed to Register the game, and at the end, it brings up a complete list of what you chose, so you note it down, and on the character selection screen, you fill in what you selected.

Would be easier to implement.

Give me a Dr Peppers so we can celebrate.

BlackDove
09-09-03, 02:27
I see people trying to make newb MC5 better, and there's nothing wrong with that - but isn't it all explained in the manual? I read through it - it pretty much covers everything. I mean if you start playing, and have no literal idea of what's going on, it's you to blaim for not reading the manual :wtf:

Lexxuk
09-09-03, 02:32
Originally posted by MrBane
Give me a Dr Peppers so we can celebrate.

http://cgi.dgwebb.force9.co.uk/dpr.gif

Pill
09-09-03, 02:36
you forgot about skills.

Benjie
09-09-03, 02:46
Originally posted by Pill
you forgot about skills.

Forget skills. Add it to the kk trophey hall of bugs. ^^

+1

Sunab_Naverith
09-09-03, 06:28
Damn nice idea, I don't think I have heard of a better remake for the bullcr@p MC5 than this. Good job m8 *applauds*.

SirSensi
09-09-03, 07:03
Good Idea but there is a issue with people like meh...

I play in third-person mode alot ('cos I like it better than first person.. so there :p) I would like to see my (what he/she looks like from behind and all that jazz:)) character who I selected.. if classless I would not know what I looked like and what I was going to look like...

thats my issue
:lol:

CR@SH
09-09-03, 08:26
Lexxuk this is quite possibly the best idea you have ever posted on the forums. Downside is it would be tons of work to setup but the good side of it is that noobs would come out of mc5 with a much better understanding of neocron. KK also needs to add a FAQ or something into mc5 or accessable from a citycom. I just feel that alot of the stuff you "need to know" is not being told to new players coming into the game and anything to help them be better prepared for the world decreases the steep learning curve neocron has which invariably means more new players won't get frustrated and quit the game before they even get started.

Ascension
09-09-03, 08:54
Byw who ever said read the manual! MC 5 Didnt exist then:confused:

athon
09-09-03, 09:57
1. This idea doesn't fit into the storyline.

2. Erm... how on earth are you going to account for the different sizes of models - I just became fat just because I chose to be a tank dude.

3. Noobs are gonna end up factionless when they can't be bothered to select faction / don't know what it's all about.

4. You haven't accounted for people who want to start with a customised skill setup.

I don't think they should mess with MC5 to get this done. As I've suggested before, all I think they need to do is make the class and skill template selection UO-like with an option that would allow advanced users to get to the current system if they want to customise their skills setup.

Athon Solo

jernau
09-09-03, 11:21
Did you just re-install SS2 Lexx??

icarium
09-09-03, 11:48
Originally posted by jernau

cool game, thought it sounded familiar, still its a good idea IMO

Cypher_Psy
09-09-03, 12:00
Actually a good idea! ;)

Additionally, just at the end it should ask you which template you wish to pick for your skills according to class (ie if you choose spy then your get a choice of rifles, pistols, drones, construct, research etc, or if you choose tank you get different templates, Heavy combat, melee, er, etc ;) )

OR you can choose the "Advanced: I wish to customise my skills" option for those who know what the hell they are doing ;).

Then you get MATCHING starter equipment for the skills you picked... (ala UO)

Btw: It shouldn't let you leave the faction area until you choose a faction. (same with other areas) ;)

Lexxuk
09-09-03, 17:38
Originally posted by jernau

I dont have SS2 O_o

The char thing, when you choose to be a char, you get the "choose ur skin" popup (that works)

You cant be factionless, because you have to choose one.

Might be hard work for KK, but not half as hard work as tryin to convince a brand new player who messed with his/her skills, that "no, u really could use that pistol, even though your a monk"

jernau
09-09-03, 17:55
Ah, it's very similar to the way you design your char at the start of SS2 which is one of the neatest char design systems I've seen.